rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 1st December v Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens, 7.45pm

Last result: Wasps 40-10 Newcastle Falcons

Life in Freetown
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 16:04
Hey guys, thought I'd let youse know that I made it safely to Freetown, I spent a week in Kenema for a weeks in country training and am now back in Freetown till Monday when I'll travel to Makeni where I'll stay for 2 months working as a peace educator at local schools!

It's a really beautiful country, once you get out in the sticks, Freetown has some lovely views too.

Hopefully we can do some good out here, we just learned that the charity program we work for is being cut completely by our government which is a bit of a shame, so we have to finish on a bang. You can tell their is a lot of work to be done here, but it's a beautiful place with very resilient people, however I have found the place to be lacking any infastructure or organisation at all which is a massive problem, as is money.

Where our here teaching peace clubs to youngsters, health and sanation, micro finance, prevention of teenage pregnancy and sexual health, but mainly we have to empower the youth to change their country which is really tough due to the lack of resources they have.

I just hope you are all well and the boys did good yesterday, I know we beat Newport, happy to see GG had a good game. We need to keep building so where sky high when we face Leicester!

I've heard it's gunna be a busy one so please make plenty of noise in the south stand and in General! I'm sure you'll give the boys a class backing!

See y'all in December

Re: Life in Freetown
aidanb (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 18:27
Good to read about your trip

Go well down there.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 21:00
Fascinated to hear how it's going as a guy who grew up in next door Liberia (due to my dad being an engineer out there)

Has the recent elections had much air time?

How safe do you feel?

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 21:47
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Fascinated to hear how it's going as a guy who grew up in next door Liberia (due to my dad being an engineer out there)
Has the recent elections had much air time?

How safe do you feel?

Now GF,

It's bonkers mate, the APC (Red)who are currently the party in governing are in a close election with the SLPP (green) so we can't actually do much right now as there are tonnes of protests on, and because we are mostly white people assume we are rich so where at risk of crime, especially in the evening. But yeah, massive protests with whistles, flags, speakers, cars driving with people hanging out of them, chanting, I haven't seen much violence just a lot of passion.

Yeah I feel safe in Freetown, everyone here is very welcoming and friendly, it's the Mosquitos that worry me...

Everything here is so cheap, I had rice and chicken for tea tonight and it was 24,000 Leoneons which is about 2.40. You can get 10 cigarettes for like 80p, a bottle of Coke is 40p and the local food like cassava or potato leaf/ground nut stew with rice is even cheaper...it's about 40p for a meal. It's really nice food as well.

The main problem her imo as I said above is slack of infrastructure, organisation and ultimately money, apparently parties have been promising changes for years but it's hard to see imo. Their is a lot of people in poverty here and a lot of unemployment, people here work ridiculous 16 hour shifts a day 6 days a week and don't even bring home 100 a month, it really puts things into perspective, their faith in god is very strong and they are very grateful for everything they have...even if it isn't much, really inspiring people, it's been a challenge but I've seen more good than bad so far.

I'll keep you posted when I get to MAKENI GF.

Cheers

Re: Ligfe in Freetown
rubyrhone (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:02
Very interesting to hear your thoughts on life in SL. Keep them coming!

concolor (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:28
FF07
Spent time in SL as well.
Have sent you a private message.

limpopo (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:59
Very interesting to read the news from FF07, but as I understand from what he said about the price of food and other things, 100 a month will buy a lot, so it is all relative, as they say. Keep up the posts.

16 October, 2017 09:16
Thanks Mate,

Fascinating to hear. The mosquitos are unfortunately nothing you can do about ha ha.

Im very concerned as many of the voting Liberians are actually supporting the group who supported Charles Taylor (who currently in jail in Durham). If they get in...that may affect Sierra Leone aswell, and not in a good way.

Stay safe, enjoy the fufu and Cassava, but watch for the Green and Black Mambas...

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 11:35
Stay safe, enjoy the fufu and Cassava, but watch for the Green and Black Mambas...[/quote]Saints supporters?

17 October, 2017 07:55
Ha ha

Id rather get bit by a black mamba than a Saints fan!

Leipziger (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 21:41
Good to hear from you FF7, have a good time and stay safe!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net