rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

dirty Dragons player
Horus (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 13:40
In today's (Monday ) Journal the match report includes a picture showing Rob Vickers caught by several Dragons, one of whom has his hand in Vicks face, and the pic shows the offending Dragon has his fingers in Vicks right eyes. the caption of the pic identifies the culprit as Ollie Griffiths and as 'lashing out'. Although Griffiths was the Dragons captain and #7, from the pic you only see a side on shot of the culprit. Whoever it was should be cited for gouging ASAP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2017 14:25 by aidanb.

Re: dirty Taff
Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 14:15
There was no fuss made at the game that I'm aware of - these days players tend to draw the ref's attention to these things - could it just look bad because it is a still photo? I haven't seen it yet

Re: dirty Dragons player
DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 06:59
I recall some fracas between their 7 and Rob in front of the East Stand for which the ref gave him a lecture.
That was nowt to what he received later on from, I suspect, Gary Graham. The 7 can consider himself fortunate that Calum Green wasn't playing.

Horus (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 20:16
At the Challenge Cup match between Krasny Yar and and Stade Francais in Siberia, the Russian hooker and the French scrum half have both been accused of making contact with the eye area of an opposing player.
Their cases have been heard by a disciplinary panel on Wednesday 18 th. Why no one has been cited in Rob's incident involving a Dragon player.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 06:50
Quote:
Horus
Why no one has been cited in Rob's incident involving a Dragon player.

Perhaps because they had more evidence to go on than one photograph in the local paper?

NB. Thanks to Aidan for removing the offensive thread title.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 11:12
There are a lot of 'events' that occur on the rugby pitch over the 80 minutes of a dynamic game. I think the officials do a pretty good job of catching foul play and punishing it accordingly . I'm not convinced that getting worked up over a picture gives us the right to lambast the governing body though it does provoke a talking point which is the purpose of the forum.
I will defer my judgement to the educated and opinionated on here but not getting overly excited or upset by this .

Horus (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 12:57
RAF Polit2000, Nigel Owens reffed the Bath V Treviso match at the REC, but didn't notice either Fuser's allleged bite on on Louw, nor Louw's subsequent contact with Fuser's eye showed on TV. Louw's offence, for which he has now been banned for 3 weeks, on Law 10.4.It seems the citing of a player has to be done within 50 hours of KO. So when has a still Picture from a local paper has not been prima facie evidence (published less than 50 hours later) and a still from of a TV broadcast is. Louws rightly fessed up, before his entry level ban. It does look though the law is not not been applied evenly. If so, that should outrage every supporter. Perhaps the Dragon player pictured in the Journal was the victim of a photoshop, or wasin blatant denial, and did not admit his contact with Rob's eye area.

aidanb (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 13:01
Quote:
Horus
RAF Polit2000, Nigel Owens reffed the Bath V Treviso match at the REC, but didn't notice either Fuser's allleged bite on on Louw, nor Louw's subsequent contact with Fuser's eye showed on TV. Louw's offence, for which he has now been banned for 3 weeks, on Law 10.4.It seems the citing of a player has to be done within 50 hours of KO. So when has a still Picture from a local paper has not been prima facie evidence (published less than 50 hours later) and a still from of a TV broadcast is. Louws rightly fessed up, before his entry level ban. It does look though the law is not not been applied evenly. If so, that should outrage every supporter. Perhaps the Dragon player pictured in the Journal was the victim of a photoshop, or wasin blatant denial, and did not admit his contact with Rob's eye area.

There is another option

As I saw it Rob Vickers didnít make a lot of the contact and maybe there wasnít much contact. So maybe the club and players were asked for an opinion and felt there was nothing to report.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 13:26
We've not highlighted any incidents to the citing commissioner from the Dragons game, as far as I'm aware, nor has any complaint been made from the player.

Horus (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 14:41
whether, or not, Rob had no complaint about apparent gouging by a Taff/Taffy(a familiar nickname for a Welshman,an ascribed Welsh pronunciation of Dafyyd(david.Davy) . OED., snowflakes note!)in the match against the Dragons, is irrelevant to whether Law 10.4 has been broken.The Journal pic is prima facie evidence it was.If the club, within the 50hours since KO,when the pic was published on Monday morning, did not refer the incident to the citing comissioner, as Mark states, this is serious matter. The Journal pic, along with any evidence about the incident, should be heard by the disciplinary tribunal, to determine whether to impose a sanction, or dismiss the case (as in a previous citing of Louw)

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 16:23
Just let me get this straight Horus. Rob Vickers hasn't mentioned it, the club have no wish to report anything from that game, but because you have seen a picture in the paper you want the whole book thrown at some unidentified Dragons player?

Perhaps not every photograph in the papers is prima facie evidence?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Hoaxed_photo_of_the_Loch_Ness_monster.jpg

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 16:56
Not having seen the newspaper, I did a Google search for the photo. Getty Images have the shot, where the Dragons player in a headguard, their openside, has his hand in Rob's face. His fingers are close to Rob's eye but it couldn't be regarded as evidence of gouging. It has a second shot, presumably taken a split second later, where the 7's hand had slipped off. It would seem that the 7's action was a cross between a punch and a hand off.
Easy for me to say as it wasn't my eyes, but nothing to get excited about. As previously pointed out, player reaction at the time usually speaks volumes.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 18:18
I think this maybe means a bit more to a certain one of us than the rest of us.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 18:39
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
I think this maybe means a bit more to a certain one of us than the rest of us.

Nicely summed up sir.

aidanb (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 19:12
This is what I remember

[goo.gl]

It was more like a half slap half grab handbag type of thing and nothing to see move along would be my reaction.

20 October, 2017 08:47
Wasn't that described by Brain Moore as a "Girly slap" a while back?

davietoon (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 11:06
He Didn t say girly but it began with a "G". Can t type it or I 'll be accused of not being "politically correct"

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 12:47
He called it a gay slap, and as a result was dragged backwards through the PC machine. He would have received a lower punishment if he had been seen slaughtering baby pandas in a school.

20 October, 2017 13:10
"slaughtering baby pandas in a school." I'm curious why a school as opposed to a zoo? smiling smiley

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 13:50
More ickle children to weep at da baby pandas.

lebigmac69 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 20:06
Political correctness gone mad.

I'll just leave this here for all the Daily Mail readers that seem to crop up on here from time to time... ;-)

alas (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 23:13
The Falcons are unlikely to see the Dragons' @#$%& in the return leg as he got his jaw broken by foul play in round 2. [www.epcrugby.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net