rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Falcons V Tigers
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 12:08
Team for Leicester Tigers

After a great start to the season in all competitions, we now turn our focus back to the AP and with the visit of Leicester Tigers. Below is the team I would pick for a game we must win up front, and it will be a big test for our boys but unlike years gone bye I believe at home on our hallowed KP turf we shouldn't be frightened of no team. And I expect the Tigers to come with their strongest 23 possible.

1 Bobby Vickers
2 Kyle Cooper
3 Jon Welsh
4 Calum Green
5 Will Witty
6 Mark Wilson
7 Will Welch
8 Ryan Burrows

9 Tane Takulua
10 Toby Flood
11 DTH Van Der Merwe
12 Juan Pablo Socino
13 Maxime Mermoz
14 Niki Goneva
15 Alex Tait

Replacements
Santiago Socino
Sami Mavinga
Scott Wilson
Evan Olmstead
Opeti Fonua
Michael Young
Josh Matavesi
Sinoti Sinoti

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/10/2017 12:14 by Falcons_Thunder.

Re: Falcons V Tigers
GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 14:01
I think Gary Graham is worthy of consideration after his excellent performances the last two weekends.

Is Fonua match fit. He's playing his first game for the A's tonight..so would he be risked v Tigers?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 14:07
Unfortunately Gary injured his foot in France so will be out for a wee while.

23 October, 2017 14:12
That's a shame Smithy, he's played very well! Hope its not too serious

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 14:12
The guys are throwing up some real selection headaches.

Just how it should be,unlike days gone by where it was pretty straightforward to pick a match day 23.

I will be honest and say i don,t think we have a best 23 anymore as everyone in the squad now comes in and does a job. The strength in depth is a joy to behold (proven once again with the superb away win in Bordeaux at the weekend) there is some serious competition for places these days!

I believe that we have and will see a lot of "horses for courses" selections this season.

Happy days.....

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 15:44
Will certainly be interesting who we select. smiling smiley

falconbear (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 16:55
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Team for Leicester Tigers
After a great start to the season in all competitions, we now turn our focus back to the AP and with the visit of Leicester Tigers. Below is the team I would pick for a game we must win up front, and it will be a big test for our boys but unlike years gone bye I believe at home on our hallowed KP turf we shouldn't be frightened of no team. And I expect the Tigers to come with their strongest 23 possible.

1 Bobby Vickers
2 Kyle Cooper
3 Jon Welsh
4 Calum Green
5 Will Witty
6 Mark Wilson
7 Will Welch
8 Ryan Burrows
9 Tane Takulua
10 Toby Flood
11 DTH Van Der Merwe
12 Juan Pablo Socino
13 Maxime Mermoz
14 Niki Goneva
15 Alex Tait

Replacements
Santiago Socino
Sami Mavinga
Scott Wilson
Evan Olmstead
Opeti Fonua
Michael Young
Josh Matavesi
Sinoti Sinoti

If fit i think Nili Latu deserves his place in the 23. Heís warrior-like of late. Also i think weíd need a replacement Fly Half.
Is Juan Pablo available after his ban?

Kingkiko2 (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 16:57
Tait, Sinoti, Harris, Socino, Goneva, Flood, Takalua, Latu, Welch, Wilson, Witty, Green, Welsh, Cooper, Vickers. Bench: Mavinga, Socino, Wilson, Robinson, Burrows, Young, Mermoz, Willis. Strong team and still quality not in that selection eg Olmstead, VDW, Wilson Fonua, Matavesi etc thatís the depth now! What will be really interesting is in Autumn when our players get over looked, the majority of that team will still be here 👊

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 17:46
For a change it's not our pack you need to fear, we are scoring tries for fun, just depends if Toomua is fit, otherwise I would expect most of last weekends 23.

24 October, 2017 07:18
Quote:
tigerburnie
For a change it's not our pack you need to fear, we are scoring tries for fun, just depends if Toomua is fit, otherwise I would expect most of last weekends 23.

The Falcons have scored more points in the premiership then the Tigers and have got 4 TBP where the Tigers have got 0TBP.

falconbear (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 08:04
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Quote:
tigerburnie

The Falcons have scored more points in the premiership then the Tigers and have got 4 TBP where the Tigers have got 0TBP.

True, but we have had an easier start to the Prem. Wuss and Irish at home. Thereís no doubting Leicesters and Newcastles try scoring assets but at Kingston Park this could be quite an evenly matched game.

24 October, 2017 09:10
Quote:
falconbear
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Quote:
tigerburnie

True, but we have had an easier start to the Prem. Wuss and Irish at home. Thereís no doubting Leicesters and Newcastles try scoring assets but at Kingston Park this could be quite an evenly matched game.

We've had both sarries and Exeter so far

Round 1
Leicester 23-27 Bath
Falcons 35-8 Warriors TBP

Round 2
Northampton 25-11 Leicester
Sale 12-13 Falcons

Round 3
Leicester 24-10 Gloucester
Falcons 7-29 Sarries

Round 4
Harlequin 28-31 Leicester 31
Bath 32-33 Falcons TBP

Round 5
Tigers 20-13 Exeter
Falcons 29- London Irish 17 TBP

Round 6
London Irish 27-28 Leicester
Exeter 34-24 Falcons TBP

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 09:17
If you say that Tiggers v Irish & Glos is comparable to our games against Wuss & Sale, the others are comparable too, so on the whole I would fancy us at KP more than Tiggers in terms of scoring tries.

My apologies for giving the game the kiss of death.

alas (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 09:23
Leicester have been scoring three tries in a lot of games. Missing out on bonus points might cost them at the end of the season, but wins are the most important thing. Sunday's game between two improving teams ought the be a cracker, but you never know.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 09:59
We're the home team, and on that basis I'd expect us to dictate plays with Flood and Matavese pinning them back in their half.
Considering we've gone toe to toe with Exeter, Sarries and beaten Bath at the Rec I expect us to be slight favourites for this game.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2017 10:03 by lizard118.

alas (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 10:07
I doubt Matavesi will be playing ahead of Socino. Unless conditions are poor the Falcons should mainly be running the ball. If they do kick for territory better to find touch rather than punting the ball to the Tigers's dangerous back three.

upwardonward (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 11:23
Think Falcons Thunder is pretty spot on!
Should be a cracking game.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 15:56
Wayne Barnes is "sir", we like him.

pityacker (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 16:18
We like him too !!

alas (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 16:53
Barnes certainly wouldn't bottle awarding a last minute penalty which happened in last year's fixture.

Yorksfalcon (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 16:58
Was that JP by any chance?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 18:12
Barnes usually gets the tough games so I wonder what the powers that be at Twickenham expect to kick off on Sunday? Do they know something that we don't?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 19:08
He did the Australia game last weekend so potentially an extra day to get over the jet lag?

25 October, 2017 06:13
Best ref in England by a mile in my humble opinion, it's gonna be interesting with a few ex players in both teams.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 06:50
Quote:
Yorksfalcon
Was that JP by any chance?
Yes twice bottled it

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 11:32
Lots of intriguing selection dilemmas:

Who will play at fly half? Will Toby Flood make his first start in the Premiership or will young Craig Willis be given another start?

Who will play at number eight? Ryan Burrows done enough to earn his first appearance in the Premiership or will the ever reliable Nili Latu? Could Fonua be given a surprise recall onto the bench after playing for the 2nd team on Monday?

Who will play at centres? Will the successful Juan Pablo Socino and Chris Harris partnership continue or could Josh Matavesi/Maxime Mermoz come into the side?

Gutted I won't be able to make the trip to the game.

25 October, 2017 11:52
I wouldn't change the current half back or centre pairings - I like the idea of Nili Latu coming on as an impact sub (I think)

25 October, 2017 12:07
I can't see flood not starting with the games he had last week, plus his game management is far superior than are other FH but that came with experience plus 60england caps

alas (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 12:40
Latu has been getting back to the form of two seasons ago. I think he'll start. The bulk of the team picks itself. Fairly close choice at 2, 5, 13. Maybe 15 as well if the Hammer is fit.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 13:00
Toomua out for us sad smiley

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 15:40
The Chopper has to start at 2

then they can bring on Cooper or Lawson

davietoon (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 17:32
So no Toomua phew!! Had a superb game v Castres and no J P Doyle things can only get better!!!

26 October, 2017 11:06
Seen this on the Tigers forum great bit of respect for us from some of the Tigers fans

"Winning away at Kingston Park would, for me, rate more highly than beating Chiefs at home".

26 October, 2017 11:25
Interesting decisions indeed.

Burrows to me looked average v Newport, but the reports suggest he was huge v Bordeaux. Maybe he just needed warming up. If that's the case, then he starts for me...he is one huge lump of a guy. And I enjoyed watching how he captained the young kids around him v Newport. Especially Radwan, telling him where to stand etc.

How did Fonua go in his run out?

Matavesi was apparently excellent against Bordeaux aswell. His and Floods tactical kicking were supposedly top drawer and was one of the main reasons for our victory.

26 October, 2017 11:34
Sinoti was the pick of the players in the A league game apparently. I'm sure he will get game time soon with Goneva and DTH on international duty.

Chopper to start and Cooper on the bench would be fantastic.

27 October, 2017 10:31
Newcastle Falcons team to face Leicester Tigers (Sunday, 3pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Alex Tait

14 Vereniki Goneva

13 Chris Harris

12 Juan Pablo Socino

11 Sinoti Sinoti

10 Toby Flood

9 Sonatane Takulua

1 Rob Vickers

2 Kyle Cooper

3 Jon Welsh

4 Calum Green

5 Sean Robinson

6 Mark Wilson

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Nili Latu

Replacements

16 Scott Lawson

17 Sami Mavinga

18 Trevor Davison

19 Will Witty

20 Ally Hogg

21 Michael Young

22 Joel Hodgson

23 Maxime Mermoz

27 October, 2017 10:41
That backline just looks a dream!!!

27 October, 2017 10:43
Is Willis injured ? I am very surprised he's not even on the bench

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 10:46
Leicester Tigers (v Newcastle Falcons, away, Sunday 3.00pm)

15 Telusa Veainu

14 Nick Malouf

13 Matt Smith

12 Mathew Tait

11 Jonny May

10 George Ford

9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole

4 Dom Barrow

5 Graham Kitchener

6 Valentino Mapapalangi

7 Brendon OíConnor

8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Harry Thacker

17 Greg Bateman

18 Pat Cilliers

19 Harry Wells

20 Luke Hamilton

21 Sam Harrison

22 Joe Ford

23 Adam Thompstone

alas (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 10:46
I like the starting XV. Robinson in to attack the Tigers' line-out and Witty looked a bit jaded against the Dragons. Are Willis and Socino jnr fit? If so, unlucky to miss out on the bench.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 10:47
Love the look of that backline for us. smiling smiley

alas (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 10:49
Going to be a bit of headbanging between the two number 8s.

FFL (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 10:53
We've been dreaming of a backline like that for years!! Can't wait for Sunday in front of a packed out KP

27 October, 2017 11:03
Great backline more of a running/power game with sinoti and goneva which I think we will need. Is it Sunday yet lol

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 11:12
On the team I would have liked to have seen DTH and Mermoz start but we donít know about injuries?

The key battles for me are at set piece time. We need Welsh to come up big and do well against Genge. Green will need to be competitive at the line out and hopefully steel a few from Tigers.

The backline is mesmerising when you think of the players not in there likes of Matavesi. We could onl have dreamed of that a few seasons ago.

This is going to be a solid scrappy game and I believe Tigers will want to keep it tight with the forwards.

If both sides come to play running rugby with our backline and thereís the 9,10 of Youngs and Ford will be a big weapon. Latu needs to attack the channel and hope we get some joy from the breakdown.

Really looking forward to the game now the atmosphere should be electric.

This game is our toughest test so far in my opinion and should show how far weíve come as a team. Are we a decent side with top 6 aspirations or have we got a squad capable of shocking the media and critics and challenging for Top 4 and honours this season.

We will know by 5pm Sunday.

aidanb (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 11:14
Look at that front five match up

Rob Vickers, Kyle Cooper, Jon Welsh
v
Ellis Genge, Tom Youngs (c), Dan Cole

Calum Green, Sean Robinson
v
Dom Barrow, Graham Kitchener

that is gonna be some tight five tussle to gain the ascendency to allow the quicker forwards to play and the backs to drop the ball

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 11:18
Weather forecast is good for running rugby.

Can't make up my mind if I am more excited about that excellent looking team taking on a strong Tigers side, or about the atmosphere of a sold out KP.

Bring on Sunday.
(Sm60)

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 11:19
Our team looks solid
We canít find a space for DTH or Matavesi in there
We are going to need a big performance to beat Leicester but we can do it

27 October, 2017 11:21
Tigers have a few hot heads in the starting 5 genge and Barrow, we have the superior lineout by far and Kyle Cooper should tighten our scrum

27 October, 2017 11:23
Sinoti x2 man of the match, calling it right now. He was showing glimpses of being back to his best during pre-season but due to injury he hasn't had a chance in the Premiership until now.

Looks like it'll be a cracking game between 2 in form sides.

27 October, 2017 11:24
Oh and I hope we win just so we can laugh at Genge. His antics from the game in Leicester should be well at the forefront of our players.

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 11:37
Quote:
alnwickfalcon
On the team I would have liked to have seen DTH and Mermoz start but we donít know about injuries?
The key battles for me are at set piece time. We need Welsh to come up big and do well against Genge. Green will need to be competitive at the line out and hopefully steel a few from Tigers.

The backline is mesmerising when you think of the players not in there likes of Matavesi. We could onl have dreamed of that a few seasons ago.

This is going to be a solid scrappy game and I believe Tigers will want to keep it tight with the forwards.

If both sides come to play running rugby with our backline and thereís the 9,10 of Youngs and Ford will be a big weapon. Latu needs to attack the channel and hope we get some joy from the breakdown.

Really looking forward to the game now the atmosphere should be electric.

This game is our toughest test so far in my opinion and should show how far weíve come as a team. Are we a decent side with top 6 aspirations or have we got a squad capable of shocking the media and critics and challenging for Top 4 and honours this season.

We will know by 5pm Sunday.

I really don't see Tigers keeping it tight we haven't been so far this season.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 11:51
No disrespecting Leicester but for me the toughest test was against Sarries and Exeter. Those two clubs are now ahead of everyone else imo.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 11:54
That's a strong team, and can see us winning.

27 October, 2017 13:14
Quote:
lizard118
No disrespecting Leicester but for me the toughest test was against Sarries and Exeter. Those two clubs are now ahead of everyone else imo.

What I meant Lizard was itís our toughest test so far at home. Technically we were at home to Sarries but it was in Phillidelphia so Iím not counting that as a home game. Exeter I agree with you are along with Sarries miles ahead of the others in the league getting a try bonus point at Sandy Park is testiment to how well we are playing.

pityacker (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 15:08
Tigers played some fantastic stuff in the first half last week by far the best all season according to their supporters but a few enforced changes and then substitutions totally changed how they were playing and on points scored they actually lost the second half but roll on Sunday and hopefully a W for Falcons.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 18:15
Pity we've lost our first choice 12 and 13, but the replacements are more experienced, if maybe a fair bit slower, but with the back 3 we have, we don't need to worry about pace in the backs. Expect our pack to dominate the scrum and breakdown and who knows what will happen with our lineout. We need to not kick for touch and use our back 3 to open up holes.

27 October, 2017 18:53
Quote:
tigerburnie
Pity we've lost our first choice 12 and 13, but the replacements are more experienced, if maybe a fair bit slower, but with the back 3 we have, we don't need to worry about pace in the backs. Expect our pack to dominate the scrum and breakdown and who knows what will happen with our lineout. We need to not kick for touch and use our back 3 to open up holes.

Don't worry sinoti and goneva will run over ur back 3.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 16:27
Testiment as to how far we have come is that we can now look at games like this and talk about a win rather than a LBP. Kinda get the feeling it's going to go one of two ways, either we cancel each other out being two strong teams , or it's an absolute try-fest. Either way a cracking game anticipated with a rocking full house . Good times !

davietoon (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 16:31
Let's have some chants, we need to drown out the bloke who tells us to "Make some noise"

28 October, 2017 16:59
Quote:
davietoon
Let's have some chants, we need to drown out the bloke who tells us to "Make some noise"

The chant of the early summer: Newcastle Falcons remix of 7 nation army (the jeremy corbyn one).

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 18:13
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Don't worry sinoti and goneva will run over ur back 3.
I like Sinoti and we know all about Niki, sure it will be a great game.

davietoon (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 18:25
Got it 35 secs

lebigmac69 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 20:48
Quote:
There's 35 seconds to go
Quote:
davietoon

The chant of the early summer: Newcastle Falcons remix of 7 nation army (the jeremy corbyn one).

+1

Although I may "accidentally" revert to singing the Jeremy Corbyn version....

dick g (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 07:16
Quote:
There's 35 seconds to go
Quote:
davietoon

Stand uup for the Faalcons
Stand uup for the Faalcons.

(With apologies to any Ulstermen)

Or, to be very naughty

Tigers tigers in full flight
You really are a load of sxxxe

(With thanks to William Blake)

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 07:26
It's game day, come on falcons let's do this!!!!!!!!!!!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 08:01
Quote:
skip mcskipper
It's game day, come on falcons let's do this!!!!!!!!!!!

And as promised, a beautiful day for a game of rugby.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 13:21
I hope is is a good game and all have a safe and enjoyable time

penguin (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 16:24
Norfolkfalcon assume Genge had the last laugh great shift from him today

29 October, 2017 16:46
Shame that the sell out crowd were treated to our worst performance of the season. Combination of Newcastle playing poorly and Leicester being a class above. It's really frustrating as we were well in the game until we started to give too many penalties away which killed us.

George Ford ran the show and got a 100% success rate with the boot, which considering his usual inconsistent kicking says a lot and in Veainu I would argue they have the best back in the league.

Negatives. We were diabolical in the scrum highlighted by the scrum we had on their 5 metre line after we were held up. I don't want to be too negative as they have had to play lots of rugby due to other injuries but this game highlights why we cannot rely on just Vickers and Welsh. We were absolutely mullered in each scrum including on our own feed. I was baffled that Deano didn't bring Davison and Mavinga on until the 75th minute, why wait that late when it was clear that they were winning each scrum? I know we were playing against quality opposition in the prop department but it really wasn't good enough. Even with the Wilson tightheads and Lockwood returning I struggle to see how we can improve this area without quality reinforcements next season. Props have to be a priority. Goneva had a shocker despite scoring the penalty and looked disinterested at times but will give him the benefit of the doubt as he is a quality player. Handling was extremely poor with lots of knocked on ball.

Positives. We stopped Leicester gaining a bonus point. Flood looked good alongside Takelua. Struggling to think of many other.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 16:51
Great atmosphere at the game, but overall so poor what stood out for me was how poor our scrum was a long with everything else. sad smiley

davietoon (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 17:11
At 13-14 I fancied our chances, if we d scored early in the second half might have been a different story . Leicester just finished their chances and we didn t. The scrum is a concern but it s technique and can be improved. Don t forget that Leicester pack absolutely mullered a huge Castres pack last weekend .
M.o.m Veaina by a mile don t know how Ford got it over him. Now let's take advantage of the International Window and score some points.

29 October, 2017 17:32
Well I think today has brought us down to earth a bit, our scrum was under pressure all game, we desperately need a class loose head prop. Bobby is an amazing servant to the club but at his age against a future British and Irish lions he got smashed. And still think we need at no8 like Opeti Fonua because we aren't tieing in players and creating spaces to exploit. But against a good Leicester side who fully deserved to win. Tho they didn't get that bonus point

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/10/2017 17:47 by Falcons_Thunder.

alas (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 18:12
It wasn't the worst performance of the season. It was up and down like against LI and the Dragons. That was nowhere near good enough against a much improved Leicester. Giving players two weeks off seems not to work, although Socino and Goneva were pretty good.

29 October, 2017 18:13
I thought we were awful today. Tigers dominated in every area without having to do a lot. The defence was woeful neither of the centres showed up and both wingers were poor. Sinoti in particular I thought was poor going forward he gives you something different but how can you support a player when you donít know what heís going to do.

A few hit ups and line breaks from JP and Sinoti and that was all. It was as if we lost sight of how weíve been playing recently.

Up front as expected it was a tough game at the coal face.

The amount of handling errors and stupid decisions to kick but not find touch was infuriating.

Flood looked like he didnít want to be out their no idea why?

Mr Barnes didnít help matters with every 50/50 going Tigers way. How he missed the blatant hit on Harris from Tigers 8 was shocking. Tigers were offside continually but we didnít play them at their own game.

Overall we were the architects of our own downfall in toothless defence and very little attack.

Big changes needed over the next few weeks and stern talking need to be said. Iím so disappointed that we left our worst performance of the season for our first sell out.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 18:44
Think Falcons Thunder has got it right. Sometimes you get beaten by a better side. The Tigers were very good today. Just a blip on our progress radar.

aidanb (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 18:50
I felt it was a simple game we lost today.

Our wingers defended badly and their wingers took eager advantage.

29 October, 2017 18:56
Big changes needed??
Some strange comments on certain performances here but hey we all have our opinions.
Come on folks let have some perspective on this. We were beaten by a better team on the day. They were clinical in most areas and we were not. Our set piece in general was disappointing (it has been our strength this season) missed tackles, ill discipline which cost us a lot of possession and it's all these cumulative things that cost us today I feel.
Let's be honest we are all very disappointed at the result but some on the comments here are an over reaction.
Their front row was always going to cause us problems with their pedigree and Ellis Genge is some player.
We are going to have these setbacks from time to time but it's how we react to them that matters.
If we are disappointed think how the guys are feeling.
A bad day at the office yes.....but we will learn by it I'm sure!

29 October, 2017 18:59
Absolutely Cantabrian......that's exactly it today!!

Osric (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 19:00
At 13-14 we had a chance to score. Noah opted for a cheeky dink through which didn't result in any points. Had we held our nerve a little longer, taken a 20-14 lead, things would have been different, probably. We were beaten by a side containing numerous internationals who had more patience and, dare I say it, a little more accuracy than we did.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 19:20
Well I enjoyed watching the game -Tigers are looking very strong and on the up. I cannot remember Ford kicking so well before today. Since leaving Gloucester May appears transformed, running straight when before he seemed to run across the pitch. Veainu in the first half was electric and of course they have their Forwards power. It looks as they will be some competition for most teams this season. BUT Tigers team must cost an arm and a leg compared to the Falcons - these games happen

29 October, 2017 19:23
Genuine question - Am I in the minority who thinks our scrum has been sub standard this season? I know it's been stated that statistically our scrum hasn't pretty good success rate but we do end up giving away a fair amount of penalties and sometimes backwards momentum from our scrums.

Again, no dig at Vickers and Welsh as they are capable of doing a job but they need help. Will we ever see anything to suggest re-signing Davey Wilson was worthwhile? Will Scott Wilson be able to get back to his form that got him an England Saxon place with all of his long term injuries? Lockwood looked promising when his brief start was abrupted by long term injury last year. Can he get back to play to that level again? I really hope it is yes to all but I do have doubts.

I'd do anything for similar props to Exeter ability wise. Nothing flashy but they provide a very solid foundation for the rest of the team to just play. Our backs would thrive from it.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 20:11
It sounded on the radio like we struggled to cope with Leicester's intensity in the first half, and they were just too strong overall.

These games will happen, it's another reality check I guess. Onwards and upwards after the AW Cup games!

helmet (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 20:12
the prop issue is a massive problem for us were constantly on the back foot and need alternatives, unfortunately the sicknote wilsons aren't the answer and until this area is sorted were gonna struggle to kick on. don't know what mickey ward is coaching at scrum time but it certainly aint working

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 22:06
Tigers are hitting a bit of form with this side, many new faces in the side, but all comfortable with what needs to be done and for the most part we are starting to come together. Your side wasn't bad, just knocked out of stride by a side climbing the league.

DB23 (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 22:15
Leicester played well and we didnít.

We were off the pace and our quality dropped today and you canít do that against good teams.

The half time score flattered us although we were still in the game, but Leicester were the better team on the day and deserved to win.

Our scrum struggled and the line out was arguably worse. Without a decent set piece it makes it very difficult to win matches. I was concerned about our front row holding up against Leicesterís 1-3 and so it proved but a lot of teams would struggle against England internationals and Lions.

However, it is only one game and if we get back to how we can play it will soon be forgotten.

Top teams play well consistently and thatís what we have to aspire to do if we want to compete at the right end of the Premiership

We are still in a good position in the league and in Europe and I am enjoying this start to the season more so than for many years.

29 October, 2017 22:44
Now ive calmed down a bit and safely at work flat after the 3 hour drive to reflect on the game, maybe I was initially harsh. A lot of pressure on the boys this week as the game has been hyped up and a full house. We didnít have a good day at the office. I still believe some of the players on show werenít at the races today but it happens itís not dire and wasnít like Bath away last year so I hope we can write it off and go again.

Note to self donít gob off after the game when emotions are still running high.

30 October, 2017 07:00
Our scrum is an issue FACT we need a LH and a extra TH and with the wilsons and Lockwood seem to be never injury free enough to play consistently enough now is the time to recruit. Look down at the Southern Hemisphere for a Prop

FRANCOIS VAN WYK
JERMAINE AINSLEY
JC JANSE VAN RENSBURG
JOHN-HUBERT MEYER
THOMAS DU TOIT

I'm sure with Kyle here he could recommend a couple for good SA props

exhooker (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 07:28
The result was the right one on the day but I was disappointed because we made so many mistakes and unforced errors. Missed touch kicks, dropped passes and silly penalties are the difference between pressing and letting the other side back in. Still, I would have taken equal fourth on points at this stage.

30 October, 2017 08:21
My thoughts on the game:

I'm still struggling to see why Willis didn't get a game unless he's injured. He has the pace to attack the line, Flood has no pace at all now, I don't see him as being significantly better than Willis, he's more suited to controlling a game we're ahead in, in my opinion. If I was Willis and DTH I'd feel hard done by to be left out after watching yesterday's effort.

We need new props if we've got the money - our scrum is just underpowered

3 Deliberate late hits on Falcons players - no cards not your best effort Mr. Barnes

The powers that be need to give goal kickers thirty seconds to make a kick and tell teams to hurry up and make a decision - women have given birth in the time it took Ford to kick penalties [www.fitpregnancy.com] [www.mirror.co.uk]

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 08:22
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Our scrum is an issue FACT we need a LH and a extra TH and with the wilsons and Lockwood seem to be never injury free enough to play consistently enough now is the time to recruit. Look down at the Southern Hemisphere for a Prop
FRANCOIS VAN WYK
JERMAINE AINSLEY
JC JANSE VAN RENSBURG
JOHN-HUBERT MEYER
THOMAS DU TOIT

I'm sure with Kyle here he could recommend a couple for good SA props

Yeah some good ones there out of all of them I would have Thomas Du Toit played well for Munster when he was on loan there, also there is a good number of other quality ones also. Definitely think it's an area where we need to improve on for next season. smiling smiley

DJMc (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 08:48
I agree with Bedlington Lad about the time Ford took to take the penalties in that it was an age so no wonder the crowd became restless at times. I understand that quality kickers need to go through their routines but they should be aware of the law on the time limit and practice accordingly.

aidanb (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 10:00
Kraken

I don't think one of your comments in there is appropriate

that topic is never appropriate on a public forum when used as a quip

IanC (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 11:17
The time limit is 1 minute, the very best kickers practice to that.
I used to think exactly the same thing about Farrell and 'put the clock' on him. His style is metronomic and every kick I've measured has been within 2 seconds of 55 seconds. I suspect you'd find the same thing with Ford. A minute is a surprisingly long time, and these players are, by their very nature, obsessives.

BH (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 11:21
As a Falcons fan I agree with IanC. I clearly saw Wayne Barnes checking his watch during preparations for kicks.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 11:25
60 secs for a penalty and 90 secs for a conversion

IanC (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 11:41
You're right, of course.
The 90 seconds is in the Laws
9.B.1(e) Taking a conversion kick

(e) The kicker must take the kick within one minute and thirty seconds (ninety seconds) from the time a try has been awarded. The player must take the kick within one minute and thirty seconds even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again.

Sanction: The kick is disallowed if the kicker does not take the kick within the time allowed.

I think, but happy to be proved wrong, that the 60 seconds from when a penalty kick at the posts is indicated is a competition regulation. You'll note that the good kickers wait as long as they can (often almost to having the tee) before pointing at the posts.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 12:01
Is it not 60 secs from the tee being placed

IanC (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 12:08
I think it's indicating that you're going for the posts, but I haven't checked. It's probably on teh Premiership website but it isn't the most navigational friendly!

alas (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 12:45
Flood takes as long.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net