rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

Chris Harris - Scottish Selection
aidanb (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 10:04
Thats great news for him

Re: Chris Harris - Scottish Selection
alas (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 10:23
His performances deserve recognition, but I would much rather it was England as he's not really Scottish and the Falcons would not lose an EQP.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 10:36
Great for Chris well done. When do the players leave for their respective teams?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 11:14
Details on t'offy.

As a supporter of Scotland Rugby this has made my day. Well done Chris. We will be at the Calcutta Cup game at Murrayfield & would be great to see Chris on the pitch.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 11:22
Great news for him well deserved. smiling smiley

17Roundabouts (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 11:59
A huge thumbs up to Chris who was outstanding last season and this alongside Juan Pablo Socino ...great news

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 12:24
He is the only player on the Scotland Wikipedia page that is red, does anybody know how to set up a Wikipedia page?. grinning smiley

dick g (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 14:12
Quote:
alas
His performances deserve recognition, but I would much rather it was England as he's not really Scottish and the Falcons would not lose an EQP.
Criteria for national selection are bizarre. Should be parents' nationality at best not grandparents. Still, I wish him well and hope he can cope with Calcutta Cup defeat if he makes the matchday squad.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 14:36
I think Scotland will play winning rugby with Gregor at the helm. He did his apprenticeship well at Glasgow warriors, turning them into an exciting rugby club. I can see him doing the same with Scotland.
They can't be underestimated and winning against them isn't going to be a foregone conclusion, it may have been in the past.
Really happy for Harris. He's really stepped up and has refused to play second fiddle to our new signings. Just what you want to see.Our best defender in the back division imo.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 15:09
Quote:
dick g
Criteria for national selection are bizarre.....

Being reasonable, he comes from Carlisle which is a few minutes from Scotland & over 300 miles from Lundon which is where anything supposedly English happens, so an affinity for haggis, neeps & tatties is understandable.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 15:11
While being pleased for Chris as I am for any of our players who gain international recognition it is yet another act in the farce that is international rugby. He isn't Scottish and allegedly it is only February when he exclaimed how much he wanted to play for England. Sorry but the grandparent rule stinks.

Out of Gregor's 10 non capped players, 2 have played for another country's U20s, one is English and one was born in South Africa. Yes he is (or maybe will) build a strong side but at the cost of national identity.

But hey, rules are rules so good luck to him; seems like a good guy and is a top player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2017 15:19 by Exiled Falcon.

The Gambler (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 19:28
As anthropologists can trace our origins back to the Rift Valley, shouldn't Kenya have first call on players?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 19:54
Quote:
The Gambler
As anthropologists can trace our origins back to the Rift Valley, shouldn't Kenya have first call on players?

That would actually complicate matters as the Great Rift Valley actually extends as far north as Lebanon, although the areas within which modern man is understood to have evolved are in the southern parts. This would still open up the claims to Ethiopia, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania, The Democratic Republic of the Congo and Mozambique, as well as Kenya.

Could be quite a bun fight deciding who qualifies for each of those.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 19:56
I'ts great news that Harris has got an international call up. He deserves it and it will be magic for him plus benefit the Falcons.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 06:45
Really pleased for him - hope gets on against the All Blacks or the Wallabies since I'll be at the games

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 07:22
Quote:
Rugby Football Union chief Steve Brown has called for stricter rules to prevent nations from selecting players nurtured through the English system.

This has to be a wind up. Steve Brown of the RFU complaining that other countries are selecting players who may not have been born there, including Chris Harris.

Has he seen the England squad recently?
(Sm22)

What an utter buffoon.

BBC Sport

alas (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 08:27
Monkey, when I look at the England squad I see a group of players who were born in England and/or came through an English academy plus a couple of others. Thing is, if I look at the Welsh and Scottish squads players I also see plenty of players who were born in England and/or came through an English academy. However, the RFU has the money and numbers to afford this. The player base in Scotland is so small that it's understandable that they have to try and recruit players whose grandparents spent a wet weekend in Ullapool in the 1970s.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 09:10
Isn't that the point Monkey is making? i did read Wales online where apparently Welsh youngsters are being offered positions at English fee-paying schools provided they don't represent Wales in age - level teams, which if trued doesn't to my mind show the RFU in a very good light.

Horus (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 14:24
This looks like a re-run of the Tim Swinson saga. A gran in the background to make you eligible for a non -English side. Farcical !

lizard118 (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 14:54
Everyone is doing it. Until everyone stops doing it There is no point moaning about it. I only feel for the lower tier countries who can't compete on what is a skewed playing field.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/10/2017 17:14 by lizard118.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 15:26
Is he not right Monkey? If I worked for an organisation who funded players development only to see quite a few jump ship I'd be a tad miffed as well.

I only read about the alleged poaching of Welsh players yesterday, also on Wales online (that well known bastion of fair and balanced reporting) however I don't actually recall many England players born in Wales so presumably it's not been too successful.

International rugby should be just that, not let's see how our imports get on against yours.....then it's just a glorified extension of club rugby.

Getitright (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 15:46
England could have picked him so what's the gripe? Earned it on merit after two big shoulder injuries.

If I recall correctly you can play for a country up to about U20 (it may be a slightly different age group or 'A' squad) and thereafter the next step up in senior ranking is your country commitment.

The rules as they stand say grandparents. So if you are planning on your kids having a chance at international rugby (assuming you're English) you need an Australian granny, a New Zealand Grandfather and should probably marry a Frenchwoman. Would be best to ensure that the child is born in a neutral country like Argentina or Samoa in case the rules change in future. Also best to have a boy and a girl as rules will no doubt also differ by gender.

Got to remember that the world is a much smaller place these days so people and families travel much more broadly.

You can tell it's a quiet afternoon!!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 07:11
Charris is on the bench for tomorrow's game. I will be quite chuffed to see him run onto the Murrayfield pitch for his first game.

gtoughuk (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 16:11
Not the best of games for Harris. He made a slight mistake to allow a Samoa try and never really had a chance to show what he can do after that.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 17:04
Watched the game today, I thought Samoa did better than I thought they would. Scotland's defence wasn't great though some pretty poor defending from Scotland, Harris wasn't great I know it's easier said than done, but I felt he could of done more when Tim Nanai-Williams went over who by the way is a class player always thought that. smiling smiley

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 20:50
He looked like the new boy, next game should be different.

pa8 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 20:59
I just hope the Scottish coaches donít advise him to play in Scotland.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 07:08
Quote:
pa8
I just hope the Scottish coaches donít advise him to play in Scotland.

I heard a few years ago that their policy is actually the opposite. The bulk of their squad comes from just two teams, so experience outside of that small environment is welcomed.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 12:15
I see Jon Welsh has been called up for Scotland. smiling smiley

lizard118 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 12:41
Congratulations to Jon Welsh, and well deserved too! Unfortunately, for us we're not exactly awash with good tighheads at the moment. Can see the trend of being pushed back worsening with Welsh away.

pityacker (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 13:06
With Jon Welsh getting a deserved call up we now have 8 away on international duties which is more than many clubs , a worrying sign for Wasps game scrum half availability was Sam Stuart being replaced very early and Joel Hodgson going to scrum half which appeared to indicate management were worried about Michael Youngs injury and with Takulua away leaving us pretty thin at 9.

alas (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 15:25
Think the Falcons will miss Welsh more. Stuart has been playing very well and both he and Dawson have a better pass than Young.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 16:51
We only have Trevor Davison and Scott Wilson available at tighthead with Welsh & Ilnicki on international duty and David Wilson injury. I'd be surprised if Scott Wilson started as he needs to be eased into action but Davison hasn't played much recently. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 17:03
I maybe wrong but I don't think Tonga or Canada have any games this weekend therefore we may get those players returning to us.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 18:08
I am wrong. Japan v Tonga and Spain v Canada.

Still got enough in our squad these days to get the W though!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 19:51
If Welshy isnít in Scotlandís matchday 23 we will get him back, though of course we do hope he earns another cap.

pa8 (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 20:55
So we should have both Jon and Chris back for Wasps.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 07:45
Surely they have to have a 24th man though?

Really hope that they are both available though, would be a big boost.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net