rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

No room in England for Mark Wilson
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 08:04
It's an absolute joke that Mark Wilson is missing from the Emgland squad. I'm thinking Eddie Jones has a serious dislike for the Falcons or maybe his geography is so bad he thinks the English boarder stops at Sale Sharks. I hope this sets a fire in not just Mark Wilson but the rest of the Falcons team.

Re: No room in England for Mark Wilson
skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 08:09
What more can he do? 4th in the premiership and unbeaten in Europe! Absolute joke!

26 October, 2017 08:11
Quote:
skip mcskipper
What more can he do? 4th in the premiership and unbeaten in Europe! Absolute joke!

If I was Dean Richards right now I would be on the phone to the Barbarians head coach and offer Mark Wilson to them!!

alas (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 08:16
It obviously pays to play for Bath. With Joseph out of form I wouldn't swap any of the Bath players Jones has chosen for the Falcons players in the same position. The Falcons have 3 English second-rowers who are better than Ewels.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 08:16
Simmonds from Exeter in who has been fantastic so far this season
Donít quite understanding including Mercer but stating he wonít be involved in match day squads. Itís a waste of a place

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 08:24
6 locks in the England set up suggests that they'll be covering back row aswell. Probably why Mark is not in.

I agree with the above, im not a fan of Ewells at all.

Mercer I can understand, he's going to be some player.

Simmonds is in top form, but just looks too small for an international number 8.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 08:40
Sad for Mark but on a selfish note pleased we don't lose him. Did Eddie Jones watch the Argentina v. England games?

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 09:23
Thats it!! What a joke. I'm now a Scotland supporter.

26 October, 2017 09:45
I find it hard to generate enthusiasm for England when Jones ignores our players. I prefer watching Scotland now and I understand why a lot of their fans had little or no interest in the Lions last summer

mannin (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 09:50
I think Lawes/Itoje will play 5 and 6 with Robshaw at 7.

26 October, 2017 10:39
We are all huge fans of Mark Wilson, but I guess you can see arguments for Curry, Robshaw and Underhill being in there. Two are very young and already playing classy stuff (Curry, technically good and Underhill just a physical monster) and could go on to become world leading players in that position. That's one of Eddies KPI's...

My big issue is that one of the Locks is likely covering the backrow..which is just wrong. Few locks can genuinely play 6 as well as a genuine 6 can!
And mark covers 6/7/8/ to a very high standard

26 October, 2017 10:46
Yes we are huge fans of Mark and since he was standout in Argentina I don't personally give a stuff about who could go on to be a top player. Mark is a top player now and deserves to be in that squad on merit in my opinion. Sorry if it seems I'm having ago at you I'm not but I can't get hold of Eddie Jones at the moment!

26 October, 2017 10:59
I'm surprised Eddie Jones has forgotten about the Falcons. I bet he still see's that 2003 drop goal in his dreams.

But if you look at Exeter it took them a good 3/4 years before they got recognition at the top level. I guess as a club we need to be fighting top 6 season after season for our players to get the recognition they deserve. Is it fair NO but that's the way it is these days.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 11:18
I am disappointed Wilson hasn't made it in, but I have to admit I am glad Simmonds has got a chance I thought he was quality in the 7's tournament, I can see him as a 7 for England as I do think he is to small for a international 8. smiling smiley

26 October, 2017 11:18
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
Yes we are huge fans of Mark and since he was standout in Argentina I don't personally give a stuff about who could go on to be a top player. Mark is a top player now and deserves to be in that squad on merit in my opinion. Sorry if it seems I'm having ago at you I'm not but I can't get hold of Eddie Jones at the moment!

But if truth be out there...Underhill is playing very well and so is curry.

So Do you pick a guy who is playing well and 27 (unlikely to improve again on where he is) or two young players 19 and 21 who are as good as matching Marks levels?

That's part of Eddies KPI's aswell! Bringing through the next generation.

Im a massive Mark Wilson supporter, but we have to look at thing realistically.

Plus as a very biased Falcons fan...it means we have him all to ourselves.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 11:20
I don't really see what Jones sees in Ewels that's slightly annoyed me, we have better second rows in our team. smiling smiley

26 October, 2017 11:26
Quote:
AFalcon24
I don't really see what Jones sees in Ewels that's slightly annoyed me, we have better second rows in our team. smiling smiley

Completely agree. Green is a country mile ahead, Witty is rapidly approaching Greens level and Robinson is a class act.

Robs (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 12:04
Quote:
mannin
I think Lawes/Itoje will play 5 and 6 with Robshaw at 7.

I agree ,and so does Ben Kaye on the Rugby Programme but what happened to Eddie's aspirations to play two 7s (like Australia)?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 12:16
It could be of course that Mark isn't slotting into the England way of things as well as perhaps others are, no matter how well he plays the Falcons game. He is a fantastic player for us & if Edie Jones isn't floating his boat at the moment I am sure we will simply appreciate him all the more for what he does for us week after week. Certainly an all-time Falcons legend in the making.

Mafia (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 12:20
I agree. I think Mark is excellent but Jones wants Itoje or Robshaw at 6. I have to say that Callum Green has been putting his hand up for months. Not even a squad place. That to me is the oddest omission. I can see why chris Harris has found a Scottish grandparent. Appears Eddie cannot see Newcastle from London or has redrawn the boundary with Scotland. Not sure what else these boys can do. Such a shame.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 12:23
Must think Hadrians wall is the boundary!

26 October, 2017 12:24
[quote Monkey1]It could be of course that Mark isn't slotting into the England way of things as well as perhaps others are, no matter how well he plays the Falcons game. That doesn't work for me because his performances in an England shirt were outstanding - I appreciate the point Geordie Falcon is making about the next generation but there are a couple of things here for me; firstly and even allowing for bias he was outstanding when he pulled on an England shirt and his performances this year are at the same level at least - what message does it send out to players at our club about international recognition?

26 October, 2017 12:42
But if truth be out there...Underhill is playing very well and so is curry.

So Do you pick a guy who is playing well and 27 (unlikely to improve again on where he is) or two young players 19 and 21 who are as good as matching Marks

I disagree here! like all the pundits say if mark Wilson was playing for a Leicester, bath, Northampton etc he would be in that England team. It's because he's a Falcons player he isn't in that England team. Players aren't picked on merit and ability

26 October, 2017 13:25
Ah I don't buy all the ...because we're falcons he's not being selected.

Its about who Eddie and his coaching side want to invest in.

For example
Curry played equally well on the Argentina tour and has played well this season. He's 18!

Look im a falcon through and through, and want mark in the England squad because I think he's top class and can cover 6/7/8, but in reality there are alternatives which may appear more attractive options particularly long term. So its obvious that the coaches select those options.

I hope mark does get another chance!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 14:43
Maybe he should have had a Scottish grandmother.
(Sm159)

davietoon (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 15:33
Or Dutch lol

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 16:10
Quote:
Monkey1
Maybe he should have had a Scottish grandmother.
(Sm159)

That did make me laugh!!

Incredibly disappointing for Mark but can see why he's not in too sadly and you can probably hear Chiefs having the same conversation re Armand to be honest. On a positive note can't wait to see Simmonds getting a run out. Slightly dodgy about Dunn although I can't say I've seen enough of him to comment too much and I suppose TT and LCD are unavailable.

Sorry but I wish the 'Eddie doesn't pick us 'cos we're Falcons / too far North' stuff would stop please, just look at Eddie's trusted lieutenants. Also think it's funny that a guy who has hauled England up from the depths, losing only one game, is actually driving people to support another country but hey ho.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 07:16
I'm really disappointed for Mark Wilson but I expect to see Courtney Lawes who has been starring at 6 for the Saints this season starting there for the Autumn tests.

Still, the South of England XV's loss is the Falcons gain and if we keep winning that'll do fine for me. Meantime, I hope Chris Harris gets a nod into the Scottish squad, it would be great to see him take the pitch alongside McVisser!

P G Tips (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 07:32
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

My big issue is that one of the Locks is likely covering the backrow..which is just wrong. Few locks can genuinely play 6 as well as a genuine 6 can!

Memories short on the Tyne?

Roger Uttley-9 England caps at lock, then 4 as blindside in the only ever unbeaten Lions Test series. Went on to play 6 for England later in Bill Beaumont's Grand Slam team, 1980.

PG

27 October, 2017 07:40
That was over forty years ago when he played on flank for the lions so it's scarcely recent history is it?

alas (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 07:58
You could also go back a bit less than 40 years with Doddie Weir. But Weir, like Lawes and Itoje, were clearly better in the second-row, but could play in the back row. Think Uttley was equally suited to either.

27 October, 2017 08:34
I still think Mark should offer his services to the Barbarians same with Green, roko, Haskell etc

27 October, 2017 10:11
Quote:
P G Tips
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Memories short on the Tyne?

Roger Uttley-9 England caps at lock, then 4 as blindside in the only ever unbeaten Lions Test series. Went on to play 6 for England later in Bill Beaumont's Grand Slam team, 1980.

PG

As mentioned above...that was a long time ago.

Also I said FEW locks can play No.6 aswell as a GENUINE 6 can. Which I still stand by.

Horus (IP Logged)
27 October, 2017 13:46
Mark proved himself at international level against Argentina, so he has nothing to prove now. The selected squad all have to prove themselves one way or another (not just the "apprentices"), so its an experimental squad, EJ has chosen, hence Mark's exclusion. NB. especially the uncertain quality of the trial back three chosen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net