rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

Dump the AWC
dick g (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 19:08
Who needs the Anglo-Welsh pot? It was created to help failing Welsh sides and replaced the established and popular domestic English cup which we won twice. Given the pressure on Premiership players wouldn't we be better off without it?

Re: Dump the AWC
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 19:14
I disagree, as long as clubs use it sensibly to develop players. If we are going to put out stronger teams in the Euro thingy cup games then that reduces the opportunities for fringe & younger players. The AWC has great value in this respect, just try to enjoy it for what it is.

Osric (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 22:02
Dump it and have an even fuller A league schedule.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 06:34
Needs some balance, get too many games where some take more serious than others and that doesn't help either. Still think we need it in some capacity but currently it's not working.

alas (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 11:37
The A league schedule is already in a mess with plenty of games being cancelled. At least the Anglo Welsh games go ahead when they are supposed to and, as Monkey says, the competition has worked well as a bridge for young players into the first team.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 12:04
Quote:
steve1888
Needs some balance, get too many games where some take more serious than others and that doesn't help either. Still think we need it in some capacity but currently it's not working.

Agreed. Some sort of structure that directs clubs to field teams that encourage player development is required, or you get games such as Newport? last season when our juniors got thumped by a team stuffed with internationals, and that does nobody any good. Surely it can't be difficult to limit the number of senior players in some way. You need some or the youngsters won't learn, but apply a limit.

JohnSt (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 12:17
I prefer the idea of a fully functioning A league. We would have fewer gaps in the premiership programme and more opportunities for younger and fringe players to get real game time.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 22:22
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
steve1888

Agreed. Some sort of structure that directs clubs to field teams that encourage player development is required, or you get games such as Newport? last season when our juniors got thumped by a team stuffed with internationals, and that does nobody any good. Surely it can't be difficult to limit the number of senior players in some way. You need some or the youngsters won't learn, but apply a limit.

I think that was Ospreys in the Challenge Cup, we beat Newport away in the Cup. But there is sometimes an imbalance in teams named in a match, so as you say, it would be a good idea to limit senior players somehow.

dick g (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 07:55
Thanks for the considered responses to my posting. I shall think further about ways in which the unloved EEC can serve a purpose

DJMc (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 20:46
I was reminded today of time in 1975 that Morpeth beat Bath at Bath in the quarter finals of the old John Player Cup, it's the chance of these giant killing games that is missing from rugby competitions nowadays.

dick g (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 06:48
And I recall the year Pertemps Bees beat Wasps who didn't take the small Brummie club seriously. We did, thumped them and went on to win the cup.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 10:43
And great times they were. It's a real shame that this can't happen again, even if it was just championship clubs included. It was mentioned before that there are safety issues if we include division one clubs, bit on the fence with this one, I'm sure they'd like the chance. Bet the Bees players who played us in a national cup semi final will never forget that day, or the day they beat Wasps.

Would be terrific if this was brought in as a reborn competition, doubt it ever will be however. I had three great days out at Twickenham for our cup finals, shame young 'uns don't really get that chance.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 11:53
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
And great times they were. It's a real shame that this can't happen again, even if it was just championship clubs included. It was mentioned before that there are safety issues if we include division one clubs, bit on the fence with this one, I'm sure they'd like the chance. Bet the Bees players who played us in a national cup semi final will never forget that day, or the day they beat Wasps.
Would be terrific if this was brought in as a reborn competition, doubt it ever will be however. I had three great days out at Twickenham for our cup finals, shame young 'uns don't really get that chance.
Couldn't agree more!!

dick g (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 17:50
We'll just have to settle for a visit to Twickers for the Premiership playoff final. Well, a Falconista can dream.

davietoon (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 11:54
Anglo Welsh Cup hmmmm, anyone from the RFU want to explain why were playing a team from Coventry ? or have the Welsh annexed the West Midlands and nobody noticed?
Dump it now and arrange a proper A league with limitations on the number of First teamers to enable development players to get game time and progress.

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 17:00
Without it, there'd only be 2 chances to win a major trophy, and that includes playing against European teams. I'm in favour of keeping it. The only thing I don't like is the silly format of cross-table matches, meaning fate's never in your own hands.

DB23 (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 11:46
Yesterday’s game proves the worth of the Anglo Welsh Cup, which is a much more meaningful competition than a more comprehensive A League.

The match also highlighted how far we’ve come on the field in the last 12-18 months by the lack of comment on here about scoring eight tries away to Wasps and coming back from 19-3 down to win. A great result and hugely beneficial for the players involved.

One irritation off the field is that, once again, the North Stand season ticket holders are shunted around the ground with the North Stand closed for the Cardiff game.

Just to emphasise the point, note the capitals just for those of us who can’t read too well;

‘The North Stand will be closed for this fixture. North Stand season ticket members are able to watch the game from the North East Terrace or South East Terrace. Please note, North Stand tickets are NOT eligible in the South Stand.’

The view from the alternative East side terraces is less elevated and, therefore, compromised. It’s just annoying to keep doing this.

Maybe the club should advise potential North Stand season ticket holders before the season starts that they shouldn’t expect to stand where they have bought their tickets.

DJMc (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 12:21
As a north stand season ticket holder I share some of your frustration DB23 however we have not been able to use the stand of our choice for several seasons now so I was expecting it. But it is very much a a change that we cannot use the south stand for the Cardiff game because only last month against the Dragons we were. Obviously the capital letters for "NOT" is emphasising that fact. I am glad you have pointed this out because no doubt I would have thought a door man/woman would have been a jobs worth for refusing me entry.

alas (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 17:03
For a much-derided competition, the first round has produced a lot of close and entertaining games. If the Falcons choose to close the North Stand they really should let the North Stand season ticket holder wherever they want in the remaining standing areas unless the South Stand is going to be full, which I doubt.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 07:11
Quote:
DB23
The match also highlighted how far we’ve come on the field in the last 12-18 months by the lack of comment on here about scoring eight tries ....

Scoring eight tries is easy against poor defence, and leaking almost as many tries indicates that both sides were far from Premiership standard. The good thing about this game is how evenly matched the teams were, which is what you want to see in this competition. I imagine the reviews of the game by both coaching teams will focus on the defensive issues rather than the tries. That is what these players will learn from.

exhooker (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 08:27
I realised again over the weekend what a ridiculous format this is. It is possible to lose all your pool matches and qualify for the semi final, or to win all your pool matches and fail to qualify It also struck me yesterday that the end plays where team A are 8 points ahead and team B are fighting for a losing bonus has lost half of its intensity. It might matter to Team B that they gain the extra point but doesn't affect their opponents in a different pool. Never mind, if we top our group then the format will be brilliant.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 10:04
Well we'll be getting shunted about once the work starts on redeveloping the North Stand.

When is that planned for?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 10:26
GF, let's not get ahead of ourselves, the planning application hasn't yet been approved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net