rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 1st December v Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens, 7.45pm

Last result: Wasps 40-10 Newcastle Falcons

Next Premiership block of games
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 20:05
After a poor showing against Leicester Im now looking forward to the next block of three AP games I think it's gonna be hard going, but the optimist in me says different.

Wasps (A) 18th Nov (TBP)(LBP)
Gloucester (H) 25th Nov (W)
Northampton (A) 1st Dec (LBP)

Wasps away is always a hard affair tho I don't think they will be missing that many players to the autumn internationals, but they do have a growing injury list so I guess it might be a good time to play them.

Gloucester at home should be a good hard fought contest, the fact we are at home should give us an advantage.

Northampton away is always a tough place to go but with quite a few, if not all their internationals players returned the week before I see them winning, I expect them to play the strongest side possible.

Team for next AP games

1 Sami Mavinga
2 Kyle Cooper
3 Jon Welsh
4 Calum Green
5 Will Witty
6 Mark Wilson
7 Will Welch
8 Ryan Burrows

9 Sam Stuart
10 Toby Flood
11 Sinoti sinoti
12 Juan Pablo Socino
13 Maxime Mermoz
14 Niki Goneva
15 Alex Tait

Replacements
Santiago Socino
Bobby Vickers
Scott Wilson
Sean Robinson
Opeti Fonua
Michael Young
Joel Hodgson
Adam Radwan

Re: Next Premiership block of games
Osric (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 20:55
Takalua and Harris, surely, with Sam Stuart and MM on the bench. I'd also have Sinoti on the bench with Hammers at fb and Alex T on the wing.

As predicted by many, we need fit or stronger props as Jon W and Bobby can't do all the heavy lifting.

alas (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 21:00
Cooper's line-out work was costly on Sunday. If Socino is fit he should start.

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 04:53
Quote:
Osric
Takalua and Harris, surely, with Sam Stuart and MM on the bench. I'd also have Sinoti on the bench with Hammers at fb and Alex T on the wing.
As predicted by many, we need fit or stronger props as Jon W and Bobby can't do all the heavy lifting.

They’ll be on international duty so won’t be available

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 07:11
Quote:
alas
Cooper's line-out work was costly on Sunday....

The thrower always gets the blame.

alas (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 10:20
True, but it is clear that Cooper's throwing-in is not as good as the other Falcons hookers. After a couple of overthrows on Sunday the Falcons were reduced to throwing to the front.

Mafia (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 12:15
I would like to see Goneva on one wing and pure pace on the other to contrast. Bring on Sinoti from the bench with 20 mins to go and they are tired. Harris has done nothing wrong altough could be absent for a few weeks. Give Mermoz a couple of games in the AW cup. I don't think he is fully up to speed yet to be honest.

DJMc (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 12:45
For what it's worth I would like to Mermoz and Van Der Merve given some game time during the AWC. If either are to play a role in our league campaign then the sooner they are bought up to match speed the better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 12:47 by DJMc.

02 November, 2017 13:17
Quote:
DJMc
For what it's worth I would like to Mermoz and Van Der Merve given some game time during the AWC. If either are to play a role in our league campaign then the sooner they are bought up to match speed the better.

Players away on international duty

Van der merve
Even Olmsted
Tane takalua
Chris Harris

DJMc (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 16:15
Doh! It's so easy to forget we have a wide range of international players because I become so England centric at international season.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 16:22
Yeah I was looking at all of the squads for the internationals, we will be missing more than some people think. smiling smiley

Osric (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 21:01
Thanks for the correction - keep me right.

pityacker (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 21:16
Cavubati and Goneva with Fiji also I believe.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 21:38
Cavubati will be out injured for a fair chunk of time but Niki is away with Fiji.

Xanderman (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 12:00
Hammersly
Tait
Matavesi
Socino
Radwan
Willis
Stuart

Vickers
Socino
Welsh
Green
Witty
Graham
Welch
Wilson

Mavinga
Cooper
Davison
Robinson
Hogg
Young
Hodgson
Mermoz

Would be mine based on all the absentees.

I'm not into player bashing but feel Sinoti is a bit of a laibility in defence recently. He's often not in the right place drops high ball and misses tackles. He needs more time in the A league to shine and justify his selection imo. Flood didn't do anything for me against tigers and would bring Willis back in.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 14:13
Quote:
Xanderman
Flood didn't do anything for me against tigers and would bring Willis back in.
I agree I think he was very unlucky to be left out altogether against Tigers unless he had an injury

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 20:22
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
Quote:
Xanderman
Flood didn't do anything for me against tigers and would bring Willis back in.
I agree I think he was very unlucky to be left out altogether against Tigers unless he had an injury

Everybody seemed delighted to have Flood coming back to Newcastle Falcons. He has hardly had any game time due to injury, when he does finally make a Premiership start in a difficult game and not too surprisingly isn't fully up to speed with the Falcons game, he is binned by some on here as a waste of space.

Weird.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 20:36
Flood has to be starting for me. As Monkey said, he has hardly had any game time yet showed glimpses of his undoubted ability against Leicester. Wouldn't be surprised if he featured against Cardiff to set himself up for the Premiership.

Xanderman (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 23:53
I never said anything about being binned or a waste of space Monkey, I've always been of the opinion that if a player doesn't perform they get rotated. Can you honestly say that was a coherent performance against Leicester? As i've said i'm not into player bashing so won't go into detail but personally my opinion is that Willis should start after that performance.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 09:28
It depends on the reason for the player not performing. If he is not up to speed due to a lack of game time, then he must have more game time, not be taken off the starting 15 yet again. That is madness. As NF said, starting him against Cardiff would probably reap benefits.

DJMc (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 14:11
My own opinion, for what it's worth, is that Toby never fully recovered from the late hit he took early in the game. So a week off this week and back in the saddle next week will hopefully see him right.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 08:13
Monkey 1 Don't put words in my mouth I haven't "binned him as a waste of space" - I base my view on what I've seen this season, Willis should be the starting 10 in league games, for me the whole team looks more dynamic with Willis, at 10, and what did he do to deserve not even getting a seat on the bench?

trummy200 (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 09:00
What goes round comes round.
I did not see any of the game against Wasps but on their site a post says that Hodgson in particular made the difference when the substitutions came on

08 November, 2017 08:23
Quote:
trummy200
What goes round comes round.
I did not see any of the game against Wasps but on their site a post says that Hodgson in particular made the difference when the substitutions came on

It's an A-league game I wouldn't read too much into it, Flood will more than likely start against wasps, tho the pack need to protect him a lot better. Flood took two very very late hits and was targeted during the game.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 08:31
I totally agree - but it was Willis who played in the A game at Wasps

aidanb (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 19:39
Am I really reading that Noah is getting a tough time despite being in the mould of the established and top class ten we have been craving for a few years now ?

I thought his movement and distribution during the Leicester game was a sight to behold. The way the game panned out he was part of a fantastic response by our guys when Leicester were hitting their straps.

14 November, 2017 11:31
Great news that Jon Welsh has been called back into the Scotland squad (well overdue in my opinion) but this does leave us in a bit of a front row pickle for this weekend. We are gonna have to rely on either Scott or Davy Wilson to fill that TH void and it's a big ask with both just coming back from injuries and with very little game time. I feel it could be a long hard shift. Even tho we haven't lost much on our own put in the no8 always seem to be on the back foot of late and not getting a good platform to attack off and I'm sure wasps till target the scrum on the weekend.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 11:33
Not forgetting Trevor Davison, of course, and the fact Welshy could be back with us if he isn't in Scotland's matchday squad.

14 November, 2017 12:32
Quote:
markismith50
Not forgetting Trevor Davison, of course, and the fact Welshy could be back with us if he isn't in Scotland's matchday squad.

Trevor Davison is doing alright but the scrum hasn't improved. He's still got a lot to learn. And still no sign of Lockwood? Leaving bobby and Sami for LH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net