rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

Falcons and Blues Teams
alas (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 12:15
No excuses for the Falcons on Saturday as most of the likely starters against Wasps are in the 23 and the Blues are playing the reserves. Bit strange to have neither Flood nor Willis in the 23, but a Socino, Matavesi combination at 10/12 later in the game would be interesting. Would have preferred Zak on the bench rather than Agulla.

Newcastle Falcons team to face Cardiff Blues (Saturday, 5pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Alex Tait

14 Adam Radwan

13 Maxime Mermoz

12 Josh Matavesi

11 Sinoti Sinoti

10 Joel Hodgson

9 Michael Young

1 Sami Mavinga

2 Scott Lawson

3 Jon Welsh

4 Calum Green

5 Sean Robinson

6 Mark Wilson

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Ryan Burrows

Replacements

16 Kyle Cooper

17 Rob Vickers

18 Scott Wilson

19 Will Witty

20 Gary Graham

21 Sam Stuart

22 Belisario Agulla

23 Juan Pablo Socino

Cardiff Blues

15 Rhun Williams

14 Owen Lane

13 Jack Roberts

12 Harri Millard

11 Tom James

10 Ben Jones

9 Dane Blacker

1 Brad Thyer

2 Ethan Lewis

3 Anton Peikrishvili

4 George Earle (captain)

5 James Down

6 Shane Lewis-Hughes

7 Ben White

8 Sion Bennett

Replacements

16 Kirby Myhill

17 Rhys Carre

18 Keiron Assiratti

19 Ben Murphy

20 Callum Bradbury

21 Lewis Jones

22 Ben Thomas

23 Dan Fish

Referee: Anthony Woodthorpe

Re: Falcons and Blues Teams
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 12:35
Extremely strong side. As Dave says in the preview, it will be refreshing to see the team playing their game without worrying too much about the opposition.

Don't know a lot about the Cardiff side but we should be looking at another bonus point win on home soil.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 12:50
A very strong looking side there. smiling smiley

cardiff_steve (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 14:04
Cardiff 23 breaks down roughly as:

11 Senior squad players
10 Academy players
2 Part timers.

Jack Roberts you may remember playing for Leicester last season. Ben White was with Exeter for a long time but now plays semi pro local club rugby.

It's a bit stronger than the teams we usually pick in the AW Cup, mostly because a bunch of senior player are on the way back from injury so getting a run out.

Should be more competitive than the game at Exeter last year where we sent a team of kids and predictably got spanked. But, at home Newcastle obviously strong favourites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 14:16 by cardiff_steve.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 15:51
Is Zack Kibiridge having bad luck with injuries the last couple of season's, the reason I ask just for someone that was getting mentioned for having potential he just never really seems to feature much?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 15:57
Was just thinking the same skip mcskipper, I just feel that Radwan seems to have more potential. smiling smiley

10 November, 2017 16:44
Radwan is the only youngster that features again, which gives you a good indication that the management rate him very highly (rightfully so). Playing alongside better, more experienced players will only help.

Radwan and Sinoti alone are worth the ticket fee!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 17:02
Hi, for those asking, Zach is fit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 17:15 by markismith50.

Greggs (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 19:38
Hello lads. North stand ST holder here. Long time admirer, first time poster. Anyone know whether the north stand is open tomorrow? If not, is there access to the NE paddock? Cheers.

Thenomad (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 19:57
What about Ben Sowrey Smithy? Great player but not getting any game time, is he nursing an injury?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 20:17
Quote:
Greggs
Hello lads. North stand ST holder here. Long time admirer, first time poster. Anyone know whether the north stand is open tomorrow? If not, is there access to the NE paddock? Cheers.

North Stand will be shut again, no idea where you paupers are likely to be shunted off to. Wherever you were shunted off to last time I assume. The temperature is predicted top drop like a stone when the sun goes down so I hope you find somewhere warm.

That team looks like a warm-up for Wasps the following week rather than a cup game run-out, so I am surprised Flood doesn't feature. I suspect there may be some truth in the theory that after the late hits during the Tiggers game he was far from top form & he could still be a bit crocked.

It will be interesting to see if Radwan can cut the mustard in defence amongst the rest of what is almost a 1st team. If he fits in he could be an almighty addition to our already fine set of wings.

DJMc (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 21:46
Gregg's, north stand season ticket holders can only use the standing areas of the east stand for this game.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 22:19
In answer to various questions, yes Sowers is fit, no the North Stand isnít open and North Stand ticket holders can stand on the East Terrace.

Cheers
Smithy

alas (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 07:52
South Stand too according to the matchday information on the website:
'The North Terrace will be closed for Saturdayís game, with ticket holders for this area invited to stand in either the South Stand or on the East Terrace.'

markismith50 (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 08:14
The article is incorrect, South Stand wonít be an option. Iíll change it when I get in later on. Apologies for any unintentional confusion.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 10:09
We don't want Northstanders coming into the South Stand. They might start nicking bits of the roof and carting them off to the other end of the pitch.
(Sm100)

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 13:10
You joke monkey but somebody did mention on Facebook that allowing the northstanders in to the south stand for these games devalued the ticket

11 November, 2017 17:41
24-0 at half time. Try bonus point secured and we didnt score out first until after 20 minutes. Sounds like we are now in full flow.

Michael Young forced off after scoring his try. Real shame for him.

11 November, 2017 18:01
Sinoti (2nd), Radwan (this kid is special) and Tait all scored tries so far in the 2nd half.

43-0 after 53 minutes.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 18:19
Like the look of the scoreline at the moment 50-0. smiling smiley

11 November, 2017 18:30
57-0 full time. Falcons too good, Blues shocking or a combination of both?

That means we are 4 points clear at the top of our table!

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 19:24
At the risk of being unpopular, I thought the remembrance day thing before the game was a bit much. Fair enough, a two-minute silence, but this dragged on for six minutes, which is a long time for players to stand about in cold conditions.

alas (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 19:50
Blues sub A-League standard, but, unlike against the Irish and the Dragons, once the Falcons got going they didn't let up. Joel MOTM for me.

DB23 (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 20:30
Quote:
Northumbrian
At the risk of being unpopular, I thought the remembrance day thing before the game was a bit much. Fair enough, a two-minute silence, but this dragged on for six minutes, which is a long time for players to stand about in cold conditions.

It was poignant and respectful for those who gave and continue to give service to their country. For the fallen, the temporarily and permanently injured, they deserve at least some time for others to reflect on their sacrifice.

I doubt the players minded too much.

DB23 (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 20:34
Quote:
alas
Blues sub A-League standard, but, unlike against the Irish and the Dragons, once the Falcons got going they didn't let up. Joel MOTM for me.

I agree, alas, Joel played well and was my MOTM, even filling in at scrum half when Stuart was withdrawn perhaps to protect him for next week when we are likely to be without Tane and Michael Young.

IMO, there is not a better running, and passing, fly half in the Premiership than Hodgson. He is getting better with experience and may ultimately fulfill his early potential.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 20:37 by DB23.

aidanb (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 20:56
Quote:
DB23
Quote:
alas

I agree, alas, Joel played well and was my MOTM, even filling in at scrum half when Stuart was withdrawn perhaps to protect him for next week when we are likely to be without Tane and Michael Young.

IMO, there is not a better running, and passing, fly half in the Premiership than Hodgson. He is getting better with experience and may ultimately fulfill his early potential.

And he scored a cracking try from it.

aidanb (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 21:14
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
24-0 at half time. Try bonus point secured and we didnt score out first until after 20 minutes. Sounds like we are now in full flow.

From all the way back in the south stand it looked like he hurt his ribs.
My mate said winded at first but when they took him off I was thinking ribs

aidanb (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 21:14
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon

From all the way back in the south stand it looked like he hurt his ribs.
My mate said winded at first but when they took him off I was thinking ribs

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 22:11
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
DB23
Quote:
alas

And he scored a cracking try from it.

But he can't kick from hand to save his life and his kicking from the tee is not much better.......

Greggs (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 22:25
I thought Joel's kicking was a bit wayward but in open play with ball in hand he was superb.

Radwan, Sinoti and Matavesi were excellent.

There was a really nasty looking injury to one of the Cardiff lads off a restart reasonably close to us in the northeast paddock early in the second half, dunno if anyone else saw it. Landed awkwardly from up a height with a real thump. I initially thought it was a rib or collarbone but as he was walking off it looked a lot like a broken arm. Was in an awful lot of pain. Never nice to see.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 22:42
I'm sorry I'm a passionate falcons fan but to say there is not a better running and passing fly half in the prem is laughable.

He's 3rd best at our club...and even Connon might overtake him soon!

trummy200 (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 22:53
Just read Daily Mails report on the match - Praises Hodgson all through the article.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 22:55 by trummy200.

12 November, 2017 06:27
Hodgson's kicking from hand tends to be pretty good especially place kicking. It's off the tee he has sometimes struggled with.

Good to hear that a lot of the backs had good games especially Matavesi.

exhooker (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 08:25
GF really doesn't like Hodgson does he.OK so yesterday he missed 2 conversions (kicked 5) and missed a kick to the corner but he was sharp quick and giving us all sorts of options. A splendid performance in my eyes, crowned by that glorious cross kick for Sinoti's try.
Incidentally, no one has mentioned Stuart. The tempo changed when he came on and he is a very good acquisition.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 10:21
As a supporter you can't really argue with a 57-0 win, whoever the opposition, good stuff. Bigger test next week but yesterday was surely a good warm-up.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 10:49
Good shout re-Stuart, exhooker.Imo his pass and general distribution is second to none, although Takulua's all-round game is ahead of everyone else.
Every time Stuart has come on the tempo of the game has gone up. The fact his stepped up so seamlessly from playing part-time for Richmond I think shows he's going to be a useful player for us. Another good spot by Richards and Co.
Re-Hodgson, I think we should just be glad to have 2 good and one seasoned flyhalf. Hodgson hasn't let us down when called upon and it appears had a stormer of a game. So credit where it's due.
Ultimately, the competition between the three can only be a good thing for the team, although my personal favourite is Willis, who happens to have a bit of everything.

DJMc (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 14:21
I am little bemused about the comments on Michael Young and his contribution yesterday. From my unusual position on the north side of the east terrace, it could be seen from the outset that it was the intention to run everything from anywhere, presumably to try things out and run Cardiff ragged, and to that end I thought Young did well to get the ball in Hodgson's hands quickly. And the line and support Young took for his try was superb. I have seen Takalua do the exact same thing and, deservedly, take high praise for it. In my mind scrum half is another position we are lucky to have strong competition for the shirt.

alas (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 22:07
Young stuck three or four box kicks down the throat of the opposition back three as per. Lead to directly rare occasions when Cardiff posed a threat. When Stuart came on it was very evident that he was getting to the breakdown quicker and that his pass was also faster and longer.

Osric (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 20:35
On a separate note, great though it is to win 57-0, what purpose does this tournament serve, given the trouncings meted out against the Welsh clubs A team's this weekend? It's great for our confidence and gives some players a chance to stake a claim for the prem 23 but surely a decent A league structure would do the same. I can't imagine the TV revenues are great, given the apparent inability to actually watch many of these live.

cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 08:30
Quote:
Osric
On a separate note, great though it is to win 57-0, what purpose does this tournament serve, given the trouncings meted out against the Welsh clubs A team's this weekend? It's great for our confidence and gives some players a chance to stake a claim for the prem 23 but surely a decent A league structure would do the same. I can't imagine the TV revenues are great, given the apparent inability to actually watch many of these live.

Maybe we should exclude the welsh regions and the 4 highest non promoted sides from the Championship get a run out to help bridge the gap between the two divisions. Might lead to a load of drubbings still but at least it is helping the english game

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 08:42
Great win but let's not get carried away it was a strong Falcons team against a very week Cardiff team.

14 November, 2017 09:36
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Great win but let's not get carried away it was a strong Falcons team against a very week Cardiff team.
No, let's! FALCONS ARE GONNA WIN THE CUP!

steve1888 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 09:43
It would be great if they could bring back the old format even if Welsh teams were involved too.

alas (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 11:36
The whole point of the Anglo Welsh format is that guarantees all the clubs at least 2 home games. A knockout format does not guarantee any home games and more A-league games, enjoyable as they are, would just cost money. Can't see much changing until the clubs don't need the money from the guaranteed home games.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 17:39
I'd be amazed if a losing home game in the current format was profitable

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net