rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 1st December v Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens, 7.45pm

Last result: Wasps 40-10 Newcastle Falcons

Stewarding
aidanb (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 20:52
Iím not keen on having to give my thoughts on what is a non rugby issue

But it affects the rugby spectating.

Upon entering the south stand area there was no one to check tickets or bags. (I came in via the tap and tackle route )

Then when you go to climb the steps into the south stand you have to show your ticket.

Then each and every time you go to climb the same steps that youíve just come out of the same steward wants to see your ticket again.

It is not the stewards fault.

It is their supervisor demanding they do it. He is a loud obnoxious bloke who pulled a barrier across the south stand east exit and blocked a wheelchair group from getting out. A look behind him would have been appropriate.

He has really rattled my cage with his jobsworth attitude.

Each and every time anyone wanted to climb the steps to the south stand they had to show their ticket.

Yet a look along into the west stand saw no such pedantry

The solution

Get rid of the jobsworth and make entry to each stand limited to that stand.

At the end of the game said jobsworth was adamant the south stand was to be shut off

He was blocking access to the walkway in front of the south stand yet demanding kids enter the pitch via the west stand access points.

He is a walking contradiction

He even had a pop at some kids for trying to get on the pitch via the east stand side entry because the route along the south stand pathway was blocked by him.

Poor kids got a lesson in ignoramous

I would love to be able to give him the message

You canít block the south stand front pathway whilst people are on the pitch. If access is via the west stand they need that access to get on and off the pitch and away to their cars in the east car park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 20:55 by aidanb.

Re: Stewarding
DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 08:01
The stewards at the foot of each stairwell asking to see tickets were there to keep us dirty North Standers out. The club made it clear that we were NOT welcome to stand there and ensured no-one tried to sneak in from the cheap seats.
I prefer watching the game from behind the posts, rather than side on. I'd thought about not bothering on Saturday but was pleased that I did go as some of the passing and attacking play was good enough to have troubled better teams than the Blues.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 08:25
I wondered why I was asked to show someone a ticket to walk up the steps. I did make the point that I'd had to show the thing to get into actual stand in the first place so asking to see it again to walk up the steps of the same stand was nonsensical

steve1888 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 10:10
I don't see the problem? They're doing their job? Not needed as much in seats as have designated seat no. Only other option is to not have the free access to walk round the ground and only access to stand you're in but I'd like to think most would agree the stewards asking to see your tickets is the better option.

13 November, 2017 10:42
Theyíre doing their job but itís pointless. Iíve legitimately entered the south stand by showing a season ticket Ė I couldnít be in a position to walk up the stairs of the south stand without having already shown a legitimate ticket at the stand entrance.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 10:47
When there's reportedly only 3,700 in the crowd (physically probably less) does it REALLY matter where people want to go - I was in my usual place in the south stand with acres of space around me - I couldn't care less if grubby north standers want to join me!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2017 10:49 by CharlieDog.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 10:48
But you could have a ticket for any other part of the ground and be in same position so it's not pointless? I don't understand why it's such a chore showing your ticket?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 10:49
Me either CD but some will have and stewards are just doing their job and it's not unreasonable.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 10:51
Quote:
steve1888
But you could have a ticket for any other part of the ground and be in same position so it's not pointless? I don't understand why it's such a chore showing your ticket?

When the ticket is in my wallet, in my pocket, and I'm carrying a pint and a burger it is an unnecessary chore

13 November, 2017 11:34
Again - I couldnít be in a position to walk up the stairs of the south stand without having already shown a legitimate ticket at the stand entrance, so to then ask to prove your legitimate right to be there is a pointless activity. What aren't you understanding?

alas (IP Logged)
Even if everyone on the Eastern terraces had gone into the South Stand (which would not have happened anyway as many people prefer the side of the pitch) the South Stand would still have been over 50% empty as opposed to over 70% empty. Ludicrous to change the policy when the North Stand is closed and to waste resources and hassle spectators enforcing it. Who is responsible for this silly decision?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
Did you not get your lanyard to solve that very problem.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 11:36
Bedlington Lad, you could access the bottom of the south stand from anywhere in the ground really?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 12:03
I was asked to show my ST by a friendly enough steward, but have been asked to do so before & don't have a problem with this. When I went for a pint she waved me past saying she remembered me. Maybe if others had encountered this steward instead of another who by the sounds of things was not so friendly, there would have been no complaints.

Also, as mentioned above by Steve, we were issued with lanyards for carrying STs around, no doubt because the club envisaged exactly this sort of situation might crop up during the season. I choose not to bother with mine so have to fish around to get my wallet out when asked for it, but that is my choice.

cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 12:44
Why not just open the north stand

13 November, 2017 13:22
Quote:
steve1888
Bedlington Lad, you could access the bottom of the south stand from anywhere in the ground really?

Sorry I don't quite understand Steve - could you get in to the South stand without showing a ticket? I was under the impression you had to go through the turnstiles - could folks get in from anywhere? It just seemed like overkill to me to ask again for a ticket if you could only access that stand via a turnstile

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 13:34
You could get in via the clubhouse, or if you had a ticket for another stand you could still wander between the stands to get beers, food etc.

The reason for not opening the North Stand I assume is to save on stewards, which is only sensible as even if there were just one man and his dog there would still have to be the usual number of stewards, and for a quiet cup game that is just daft.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:11
I know it was a quiet game too but also gets people used to it. Imagine a busy game and it's peeing down and extra try to wander in SS it would be a safety issue too and has been a couple of times.

I really don't get the objections to something so straight forward and sometimes they can't do right for doing wrong.

aidanb (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 18:05
Quote:
steve1888
I know it was a quiet game too but also gets people used to it. Imagine a busy game and it's peeing down and extra try to wander in SS it would be a safety issue too and has been a couple of times.
I really don't get the objections to something so straight forward and sometimes they can't do right for doing wrong.

Monkey seems to have had the steward with the sense to recognise him as already having proved he should be in the south stand.

One of our group asked why we had to show our tickets and the response was the supervisor demanded each and every one show it regardless of having done it before.

Donít forget in this instance I am not having a pop at the steward asking to see the ticket I am questioning the policy itself.

On the other hand the supervisor was an ignorant bully who as pointed out above was even prepared to tell kids off.

So some of the policy is badly implemented in one stand and not at all implemented in another.
Then you get an ignoramus with a blue jacket who implements policy in a rude manner.

Safety issues and crowd control donít require ignorance and rudeness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2017 18:14 by aidanb.

dksniper (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 18:34
I have worked part time for this security team. Once at the Falcons.
The stewards are briefed by Falcons staff about their expectations before being positioned. The stewards on the stands are asked to check the tickets frequently and those on the booths have to be strict with concession tickets. Apparently they do get handed around family members and friends.
Obviously rudeness is not an expectation. I was never rude but am mature and an ex policeman so am used to conflict so never had to be.
I have to say I did work other events where I received intense abuse from ticket holders when checking them but I agree there is no need to be rude just smile and keep doing what you're paid to do.

davietoon (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 19:44
The only reason tickets are checked at all inside the ground is because of a potential loss of revenue . I know of someone who bought a North Stand ticket via the website For £12 in good faith, on arriving at the ground the North Stand was closed and the fan was directed into the South stand where the tickets were £18. He was well chuffed but the club "lost" 6 quid. The only reason he didn t buy a South stand ticket was the difference in cost
And he felt £18 was too expensive, as the North Stand was closed he didn t buy a ticket for Saturdays game so the club Lost £12 this time.

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 11:28
It would be interesting to know whether more stewards were needed than on a normal sub 4,000 crowd fixture to man each stairwell and keep interlopers out. If there was, it would kind of defeat the object of closing the North end.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 12:57
You'd need a steward for each staircase however many are in the stand, hence they close the north as would have to be staffed as per any stadium plan that set out I'd guess.

.Mick Hogan (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 16:41
Folks

Apologies for the delay in responding but just thought it best to clarify why we do what we do.

We have a reasonable amount of free movement in the ground during the game whether that is North Stand supporters accessing the West Stand for food/toilet facilities, East Stand terrace walking past the front of the South to get to the coffee/crepe struck or anyone in the 1877/T&T coming out of the these bars at kick-off to make their way to seats or terrace.

If we don't check people entering the respective stands at the bottom of each gangway then they could get into areas they haven't paid for. This causes two problems. Firstly people could pay less for a North/East terrace ticket and get into the South or West. This happens quite a bit and is unfair on the supporters who have paid full price. More seriously though if this happens on a busy game we risk over-crowding in a particular stand and the subsequent safety issues that would then arise.

At the Cardiff game we did insist the stewards check all tickets all the time. Yes there was never going to be overcrowding but it's good practice that we do this at all games and this consistency then means it becomes second nature for the supporters as well as stewards.

Unfortunately we do still suffer from a small minority who consistently abuse the system. They either try to pay less than they should or worse deliberately try to gain access without paying. The worst example was at the Dragons game where a quite irate fan complained his season member card 'had been rejected again - it happens at every game this season.' Upon checking it was last season's card and he hadn't even purchased one this year. He had obviously kicked up enough fuss at earlier games to be let in.

The stewarding will be more and more thorough as the crowds continue to grow. Please remember they are there for your safety and have tickets available if you are moving around the ground. It's not too much of an unreasonable request we believe.

Any queries please feel free to contact our new Ground safety Officer Steve Storey on steve.storey@newcastle-falcons.co.uk

Regards

Mick

aidanb (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 20:44
Thanks for your reply Mick

I am happy to live with club policy

Iím not happy to have to put up with ignorance and arrogance.

Iím not one to take the @#$%& out of the club and try and get in for free or by being in the wrong stand.

Iíve been coming to the club since the old days of first turning pro.

What I donít like and what doesnít look good for the club is having a blue supervisor steward making an idiot of himself just because heís been given a badge.

You guys at the club are amazing at treating us all like friends and part of the rugby family

The type of stewarding I described above is nothing like that.

Itís only my opinion, but jobsworths like that person can do a lot of harm to the good will we all share.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 06:58
Tell you what then Aidan, if he is there at the next game, give me a nudge & we will go down & ask him his name, all very properly. Then you can put in a formal complaint to the club. It is obviously this one individual who has got your back up, so that is the correct way to go forward. We certainly don't want this sort of thing being repeated, so give the club the information that they need to ensure it can't happen again.

aidanb (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 16:23
I will see how it goes with him Monkey

if he's going to behave like that then yes i will be polite and ask his name and have a chat with the club.

If it was just a one off then there's no problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net