rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 27-Saturday 28 July Premiership Sevens at Franklin's Gardens

Saturday 11 August v Nottingham Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Exeter Chiefs 36-5 Newcastle Falcons

Falcons to play at St James' Park in 'The Big One'
aidanb (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 10:11
Newcastle Falcons will break new ground on Saturday March 24 when St James’ Park hosts their Aviva Premiership match against Northampton Saints, a game which has been dubbed ‘The Big One’.

The Big One

Re: Falcons to play at St James' Park in 'The Big One'
Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 10:19
Quote:
aidanb
Newcastle Falcons will break new ground on Saturday March 24 when St James’ Park hosts their Aviva Premiership match against Northampton Saints, a game which has been dubbed ‘The Big One’.
The Big One

I think this is a great idea. Better transport links and might bring more part timers in - especially where they are more keen football fans than rugby.

It does likely mean that the elitists will start back up with the moral high ground of rugby versus football fans for a while though.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 10:26
The uni lot will be like a footie crowd anyway, enjoyed some of those games at KP in the past, that will add at least 3000 on to the gate I reckon.

Good move, shame about the stadium ha.

pa8 (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 10:26
Ambitious but rumours about it have been doing the rounds since last season. Would love to see over 20k there, might encourage a lot more away fans to travel.

exhooker (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 10:27
I'm sure that's fine, amd will most probably see a bigger crowd, but as I have an evening engagement it means that the 5.30 ko makes another game I can't use my season ticket for.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 10:32
Another ambitious move by the club which will be a tremendous occasion. We intend to be there and it will be exciting to watch the Falcons run out at SJP.

Let's hope we can follow up by finishing 6th or better, so this will be a rehearsal for meeting the likes of Clermont at SJP in the Champions Cup next season.

Well done Falcons!

Mobbs (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 10:54
Well that's the hat trick for Saints ! We played at Twickenham for the opening 'double header- - less said about that the better. We are back at HQ for Quins just before New Year and now its SJP for you guys. Shame about the late kick off - its a long flog home !

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 10:55
Quote:
Mobbs
Shame about the late kick off - its a long flog home !

Or a cracking weekend away Mobbs ;0)

Leipziger (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 11:48
An ambitious move but I'm sure we can get 20,000 people, with a decent game we should get plenty of newbies to come to KP. Didn't think the little one would make her SJP debut so soon but hopefully we can all get there!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 11:55
Excellent idea, hope it works well for the club & gets some new people along to give it a whirl. Having one game each Season at SJP is fine by me, and if it works well maybe 2 or 3.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 12:04
I think it's a good idea ambitious by the club. smiling smiley

pa8 (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 12:12
The only problem I can see is that if the season ticket holders are being housed in the east stand we won’t be able to see the big screen which, for those who don’t know the ground, is on the east side wall of the old Leazes end and faces west. But, only a minor problem.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 12:22
As long as we get a good crowd, 20000 the hopes for, then I am all for it

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 12:29
This game also falls during the football international period so I'm sure there will be lots of interested part timers who class football as their number one sport will want to attend.

falconbear (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 13:12
Really, really pleased with this. Can’t wait. I just hope some of our younger players can perform on the bigger stage. Big crowds and big game temperament has been a problem for us in the last few years in my opinion. (MK Dons/Philly/Leicester).
Nevertheless hats off to the management for pulling this one off. Just hope the potential new owner at SJP doesn’t pull the plug on the idea!

dick g (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 14:08
Hope we can get 20,000 in or the risk is losing the home advantage KP atmosphere for what could be a crucial Premiership game. But Mick Hogan and Co know what they are doing so I shall be positive. Only ski-ing might keep me away.

Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 14:18
Any car parks nearby for those trying to travel as away supporters?

Will Falcons lose their advantage of the plastic pitch?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

markismith50 (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 14:54
Hi Chris, there are plenty of city centre parking options around the stadium. I tend to use Grainger Town multi-storey when I go to the football but there are a load to choose from.

Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 15:19
Thanks Mark

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 17:15
Enjoyed a world cup game there in 2015 so I'm happy with that.

Osric (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 17:18
MOre fans/new fans = a major bonus. It's none of our business, it I hope the business side of things means that if we do get, say, 20,000, there's a decent cash injection for the club.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 17:50
I think you will find that there's more than a decent amount of cash being injected into the club already. We all know how much it's costing Semore out if his own pocket.
We couldn't ask for a better management team in my opinion.
The turnaround in the last 5 years has been nothing short of superb. Really looking forward to the next 5 years....exciting times ahead!!

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 18:03
Although I will qualify for parking I may just get the train from Darlo - it worked fine for the World Cup games .... and cheap!! smiling smiley

Onwards and Upwards!

Osric (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 20:52
WF - I agree. I’ll re- phrase. There should be medium term benefits for the club in terms of more fans wanting to come to KP, including some from the student body.
Clearly there’s a cost to staging an event at SJP. I hope this is net cost advantageous to the club in the short term, assuming a decent gate.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 07:07
If tickets are to be sold at promotional prices, we have to pay for SJP & associated extra costs, and KP lies idle for another home game, I will be very surprised if this makes money even if we do get 20,000 turning up. I might be wrong of course, but it looks like a marketing event that lays down ground for the future rather than a commercial move. Hope it goes well.

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 12:18
Well, that's me sorted - match tickets bought and hotel booked. May as well make it a grand trip out. smiling smiley

Onwards and Upwards!

.Mick Hogan (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 21:48
Monkey

It all depends on the mix of tickets bought but even with seasonal corporates and ST Holders included at zero income a crowd of 17,500 should present a greater commercial return than at KP, even allowing for increased costs and a bigger than usual marketing budget.

Need every ST Member to try and think who else they could bring along. If you all brought one person then the East Stand will be full....and very noisy! Reality is some will bring no extras and others will bring 10. Get thinking about neighbours, friends, work colleagues, those people down the pub etc.

Many thanks

Mick

Osric (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 22:03
Right then. I'll try and get a gang of my footie loving work mates along. The timings will help, as we can make a night of it.

aidanb (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 00:07
Why the east stand ?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 06:59
Good to hear Mick. I will certainly be trying to drum up support, the more the better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net