rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 23 November v Bath Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Saturday 1 December v Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens, 3.00pm

Last result: Harlequins 20-7 Newcastle Falcons

The Big Night Out Falcons v Gloucester teams
aidanb (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 12:13
Newcastle Falcons team to face Gloucester Rugby

The Big Night Out

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Alex Tait

13 Belisario Agulla

12 Juan Pablo Socino

11 Sinoti Sinoti

10 Joel Hodgson

9 Sam Stuart

1 Rob Vickers

2 Scott Lawson

3 Jon Welsh

4 Will Witty

5 Sean Robinson

6 Mark Wilson

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Nili Latu

Replacements

16 Kyle Cooper

17 Sami Mavinga

18 Scott Wilson

19 Calum Green

20 Gary Graham

21 Ruaridh Dawson

22 Toby Flood

23 Chris Harris

Referee: JP Doyle

Re: The Big Night Out Falcons v Gloucester teams
aidanb (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 12:19
Gloucester Rugby

15 Tom Hudson

14 Henry Purdy

13 Andy Symons

12 Billy Twelvetrees

11 Ollie Thorley

10 Billy Burns

9 Willi Heinz (captain)

1 Josh Hohneck

2 James Hanson

3 John Afoa

4 Tom Savage

5 Jeremy Thrush

6 Jake Polledri

7 Lewis Ludlow

8 Ruan Ackermann

Replacements

16 Richard Hibbard

17 Paddy McAllister

18 Gareth Denman

19 Ed Slater

20 Freddie Clarke

21 Ben Vellacott

22 Lloyd Evans

23 Mark Atkinson

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 12:22
The bench looks stronger than players in their respective positions...

Congrats to Scotty Lawson, great servant for us. However is the 'chopper' Santi Socino injured? I think that other than throwing (which of course is an important attribute for hookers), Cooper and Socino are more complete players and offer more on the field.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 12:22
Looking good let's get back to winning ways. smiling smiley

23 November, 2017 12:24
Oh and JP Doyle. I Wonder if our lads have learnt from Saracens and have invited him to a night out on the toon...

pityacker (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 12:24
Bemused by a number of selections the only new signing from last season is Sam Stuart who has been pretty decent although only starting because of international call and injury and all of the talk of huge strength in depth aludes me and Im not very optimistic .

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 12:41
What has Willis done to keep missing out? Is he injured? I thought we were more dynamic with him at 10. Not at all convinced by this team selection hope I'm wrong

DB23 (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 12:51
Donít understand some of the selections, especially looking at the bench, but it is my preferred second row in Witty and Robinson.

Gloucester have improved and we will have to raise our performance level across the team to earn a win.

Itís a difficult game to call, but looking forward to it.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 13:21
GREEN most lineout steals in the premiership on the bench. This is a hard game, plus with Toby on the bench and Tane away with Tonga I hope Joel has his kicking boots on

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 13:26
If I am honest I am surprised to see Green on the bench, still looking forward to it and like I said I hope we get back to winning ways. smiling smiley

Leipziger (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 13:38
Shame we're missing a few of our first choice backs, but the forwards are pretty much full strength so no worries there. Hodgson kicked a last-minute penalty to win this game last season if I remember correctly, so Gloucester might be wary of giving away kicks. Looking forward to seeing Flood play live for the first time since his comeback, and to have a good look at Stuart.

Bring it on!

Quote:
aidanb
12 Billy Twelvetrees

Better bring a sleeping bag, it could be a long night if Twelveminutes is kicking.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 13:45
Green needs a rest. And Flood appears to be struggling with the pace of AP rugby. May be fitness issues.

Agree Re-Willis, he looks our best 10 at present, so surprised as to why he's not even in the squad. May be contract dispute? If I recall correctly his contract last time was for 2 years and this is the final one. I would be gutted to lose him.

As said Gloucester have been good of late beating Bath at the Rec and Sarries at Kingsholm. But we're the home side and we should be looking to win it. Plus our recent record against Gloucester is really good. A difficult game but I still see us winning.

Osric (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 14:09
Maxime Mermoz?

Susiewong (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 16:21
Hope we are not taking Gloucester for granted. Have concerns about team selection as have others on here. Appreciate itís a long road ahead, but we donít want to lose the crowds when we have done so much to get them here, we need to keep them so a big win is essential.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 17:31
I'll take any sort of win, big or small. Actually, I will be happy with any sort of performance that shows we are still able to play well, even with disruptions due to missing players.

A win will be nice, a good performance is essential.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 21:13
Not the selection I probably would have made, but we don't know about who needs rested or who is injured etc.

I do worry about that LH position. Is Lockwood actually coming back? Is Mavinga not trusted to start. Vickers never seems to get a rest.

I've found myself negatively questioning Joel this season, so I really want to see him put in an alround commanding performance tomorrow. I think he'll have to, to give us a good chance of victory.

And I want to see Witty really start to impose himself on games both physically in the exchanges, but also in his carrying which I actually think he can do much better in as hes huge and extremely quick for a lock.

Hopefully they go out, throw off the shackles and light up what is going to be a cold night at KP!

24 November, 2017 07:22
Didn't realise the match was on BT Sport. Bonus!

Admin: (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 11:32
it i sgoing t be really cold tonight wrap up warm everyone(Sm24)

24 November, 2017 19:48
The first 23min is saying we are nowhere near a top 6 side. When doesn't HODGSON not see the space and chip it now and again. I hope Toby has is boots warmed up!!!

telfs123 (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 20:02
Hodgson having a shocker, defence totally asleep yet again.
Our entire attacking game plan is one out runners and throwing the ball down the line. Hodgson stands so deep it doesn't matter what we do.
2 tries from defence just not bothering to tackle or pick up the ball.
This is like watching Falcons play 3 years ago...

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 20:15
We just seem to be going back in attack all the time it does remind me of us a few years ago, I can't be the only one who thinks we miss somebody like Fonua gives us that go forward. smiling smiley

24 November, 2017 20:23
Abysmal first half. So predictable. Hopefully we can use that try as a platform to build from!

Flood on please!

DB23 (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 20:46
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
Abysmal first half. So predictable. Hopefully we can use that try as a platform to build from!
Flood on please!

Second half isnít going any better, Norfolk Falcon, lacking physicality and attacking ideas. We have regressed badly. Itís the performance level that concerns me most.

I have no doubt it will be put down to Ďplayers going off scriptí, Ďnot executing the game planí, or Ďjust not a good day at the officeí.

24 November, 2017 21:06
An absolutely pathetic team we were tonight, the honeymoon period is over!! We were an absolute disgrace tonight, I honestly hope Dean Richards gives the fans that turned up and apologise and the club give a refund. They are biging up THE BIG ONE if we keep playing like that it'll be a BIG FLOP!!!

We'll avoid relegation this season and that's it if we keep playing like that. The five year plan has took a massive hit over the last 3 games. And guess what we have the SAINTS AWAY next week.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:08
This is dire. Complete lack of cutting edge in attack. It is like we took everything we did well in the first 5 weeks and decided to do none of it.
Major problems for me (in no particular order)
-9 has to offer threat round the base. Stuart didn't, and Glos just spread wider, effectively meaning they had an extra defender out wide
-Dummy lines were non existent. We just span it wide and Glos drifted
-Hodgson can't play 10. He plays far too deep, his passing is regularly horrendous and he can't kick. Willis/Flood for rest of season
-We have to try something different in the 22. One out runners doesn't do it.
-Play what is in front of you. All game a chip behind was open. We didn't do it once. So many times we had an overlap and went the other way.
-Tait on the wing. No. Just no.

This is 3 prem games in a row we've had zero cutting edge and can't finish tries. It is a major concern and we can kiss top 6 goodbye if we don't fix it. Right now we are spectacularly easy to defend.
We have had 3 bad losses in a row in the Prem. And the performance has got worse each time. That is very concerning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/11/2017 21:11 by telfs123.

24 November, 2017 21:08
Utter tosh. Back to watching aimless rugby that we've watched for years.
No aggression at the breakdown, going backwards with ball in hand!!!!

Just woeful!!

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:09
Our good start to the season seems to have had an abrupt end
Looking at the cups rather the the top 6 currently

24 November, 2017 21:18
And to top it off I had to put up with a group of about 30 students in the north stand all off their heads drunk, smoking, blocing up all the stairways and not moving for people tryng to use the stairs and all sorts...the stewards came up 3 times!!! to have words with them yet still didn't eject any of them!!

Ill be putting an official complaint in...it was an absolute disgrace!

exhooker (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:19
If there were points for going backwards and sideways we'd have had a shed load tonight.Absolutely horrific performance.

24 November, 2017 21:20
Back to the game though....what worries me most is the physicality and aggression we are showing....a complete lack of it!!!

We're get beaten in all the physical exchanges...

dksniper (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:23
The worrying stat for me was falcons 69 phases in opposition 22. 1 try. Glos almost a third of that and 4 tries. Effort very good but need to show some nous!

24 November, 2017 21:25
That was a Big Night Oot for Gloucester.

100 points conceded in the last 3 games including 2 at home! Defence has been pretty poor all season yet we've managed to stay in games by scoring tries. What's happened to our front foot, offloading, pacey rugby we displayed at the start of the season? We've regressed to a run sideways, zero threat side we were 3-4 seasons ago.

The team look like they're playing as individuals. It's been so easy for Gloucester to defend! The sin bun period summed up the game for me, Gloucester were so comfortable despite being one man down.

Why did it take us 55 minutes to make any subs (with the exception of Flood)? We were crying out for the bench to come on and make an impact!

I looked at the front five forwards before the game and was worried. How many of those would get into any other side in the Premiership? The answer is none. They offer nothing especially in the set piece. I rate Witty very highly but he has shown no signs of last seasons form.

What's happened to the young shining lights like Santiago Socino, Willis etc?

Based on the past 3 games we should be worried about being sucked into a relegation battle. There's no way we will be challenging for the top 6 with this display.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:45
Woefully horrible performance with no real discernible positives other than Scotty Wilson got more game time. To be fair Glaws suddenly look a very good team although they didnít need to do anything spectacular to get a 5 point away win.

Still, weíre going well in two cups so donít lose faith everyone, weíve lost to Tiggs, Exeter, Wasps and a resurgent Glaws, not really a huge surprise.

On a side note, very touching to see Trinder talking to Glaws fans after the game, always nice when players take the time to speak to fans who have made a long journey.

24 November, 2017 21:48
The problem is...that positions we had concerns about are still there...front row, and 9/10

ANd EVERYONE on here questioned the selection in this thread...and it was proven correct..so what are the coaches reasons for selecting that side.

Joel Hodgson is not a premiership 10. that much is clear now...so why not play Willis and FLood???

trummy200 (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:48
It didn't make any difference when the subs did come on

alas (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:53
Flood was just as poor as Hodgson.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:57
Agreed his passing was terrible, the defence was shocking 3 very easy tryís in the first half and the second half wasnít much better, the forwards didnít give us any go forward

24 November, 2017 22:16
True about Flood...they were all sh1te

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 22:58
One thing what stood out for me for us was the lack of physicality we are pretty light in the forwards, like I said we miss a Fonua type player who makes them yards, also sorry to say Tait isn't a winger never has been never will be either play him at fullback or don't play him at all. But overall just a very poor show from us. smiling smiley

toonaew (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 23:04
Absolute garbage from start to finish. Itís really embarrassing to see how badly weíve gone backwards - letís face it, Gloucester arenít that good and they still easily beat us.

Looking at it the league table as it is now you canít help but feel that we are exactly where we belong.

All the off field activities (The Big One etc) are going to end up counting for absolutely nothing if the on field performances continue to be this poor.

Sort it, Deano!!

Leipziger (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 23:27
Some positives: Latu had a good game I thought and that was my first real look at Stuart too, he did well.
Flood offered more go-forward than Hodgson and took responsibility in the tackle rather than throwing hospital passes, as many players of all teams do in search of the holy "offload".
Scrum was better than I hear it has been in recent games.

Negatives: Agulla is serviceable, but are we really thinking that the Falcons are better served, now and in the future, by him playing ahead of Zach? (Cue somebody replying that Zach has a long term injury that I didn't know about...)
I didn't see a lot of Witty and Robinson in the loose tonight, I think we might have missed Green's breakdown work.
For me there was no discernible difference between our attack after half time, even with Flood and Harris on.

Overall though it wasn't very good in a game
that, with respect to Gloucester, we will have targeted back in the summer as a win. Seems we've had three bad league games in a row so hopefully on Friday at Northampton we'll put on a better show.

Simmo7 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 00:13
Looked like Flood pulled a hammy with his first kick to touch (or at least twinged it), didn't look right at all after that.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 08:39
Apart from being unable to break Gloucester's line my biggest concern is that both Wasps and Gloucester scored try's without having to work too hard especially on the flanks.- Two games on the trot - missing Niki who provides a cutting edge in attack.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 09:16
Problems we've had in the flanks the last couple of games are Tait/Agulla aren't fast enough. Sinoti is not a great defender.

Stuart seemed to play well, but sometimes he maybe passed the ball too quickly in the search for quick ball, as often the backline wasn't set or ready, and the ball would end up in the hands of a prop rather than a centre.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net