rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 16 December v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Sunday 23 December v Gloucester Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Edinburgh Rugby 31-13 Newcastle Falcons

Rubbish
Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:17
That is all

Re: Rubbish
Gloucester BAZ (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:34
Or were Gloucester just superb?

dksniper (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:36
Disappointing. Lots of possession and phases but no creativity or skills other than crashing it up. You wont get past Gloucester's excellent defence like that.
As the commentator on BT said, " You dont get prizes for the amount of passing and the Falcons have done a lot of passing tonight." Very true. Shame really. Normally its a battle to get so much possession.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:48
To be fair BAZ, your mob suddenly look very good. Great run of results.

alas (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 21:50
Big Night Out? More like a very small one. Made it very easy for the opposition. A schoolboy side would have been ashamed at the second try. I owe Michael Young an apology as I said he wouldn't be missed. Yes his pass is slower, but he organizes the defence and that was sadly lacking at times.

Gloucester BAZ (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 22:18
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
To be fair BAZ, your mob suddenly look very good. Great run of results.

Thanks. Glos defended for the majority of the game and I thought Newcastle gave it their all but defence wins matches.Saracens tried last week too but Jonny Bell supplies the formula and Ackermann the confidence. I know it's easy for me to say, but I thought most of your players gave it a good go.Maybe another side would have buckled with all that pressure?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 23:03
Quote:
Gloucester BAZ
Or were Gloucester just superb?

Some stats would say that the Falcons were the "better team" tonight no doubt, but your defence was excellent and once you shut down Hodgson, Sinoti and later Flood, we had no answer. Gloucester had less possession I would expect but you made it count. IGloucester looked tonight like a team that had a plan about how they would get five points and then executed it very well and I give them credit for that.

Thenomad (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 23:13
Am I missing something? Start of season 2016,new players, Olmstead, Sowrey, Civetta, Burdon, Waldouk etc, The lads play with passion and fire and we achieve our best finish for 11 years, happy days! So what do we do? Bring in new players, appoint a new head coach, with new ideas, bin a lot of last years lads off, and well, need I say more?

pityacker (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 23:17
Totally clueless could have ran the ball at the superb Gloucester defence until next Friday without breaking it, the whole backline from 9 to 14 should be changed for next week and where in the World is Opeti Fonua we are in desperate need for a big ball carrier to give us some go forward ball. Once more we are heading for the lower reaches of the league.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 23:35
Quote:
Thenomad
Am I missing something? Start of season 2016,new players, Olmstead, Sowrey, Civetta, Burdon, Waldouk etc, The lads play with passion and fire and we achieve our best finish for 11 years, happy days! So what do we do? Bring in new players, appoint a new head coach, with new ideas, bin a lot of last years lads off, and well, need I say more?

Did Burdon and Civetta actually play in the league last year? As for Sowrey, good player yes but people have been banging on about how great Santi Socino has been so Santi's disappearance is surely a greater issue? But them again, maybe not since people were bigging up Cooper back end of last season.

Waldouck? Are we REALLY saying we've missed him, an average player at best, with better players in Harris and Mermoz playing most games before tonight?

24 November, 2017 23:36
Glass defence was excellent. We looked ordinary. Well do e Glaws you did your homework

Thenomad (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 00:01
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
Thenomad

Did Burdon and Civetta actually play in the league last year? As for Sowrey, good player yes but people have been banging on about how great Santi Socino has been so Santi's disappearance is surely a greater issue? But them again, maybe not since people were bigging up Cooper back end of last season.

Waldouck? Are we REALLY saying we've missed him, an average player at best, with better players in Harris and Mermoz playing most games before tonight?
Yes they did Kath, hardly think young Socino the bigger issue as he has had ONE outstanding game and has then blown hot and cold. and Mermoz has hardly played!!

DJMc (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 03:47
If we play like that again so achieve similar results in the next few rounds of the Premiership then there is likely to be a lot of empty seats SJP come the end of March.

25 November, 2017 05:28
I m always gracious in defeat with the better team won never disputed but the fact is that our defence was awful and looked school boyish. Showed the poor part of Joel’s game. Secondly, our attack was horrendous, catch pas it along the line, do not straighten up get nailed in the centres. Only players that I would allow near the pitch next game are
Vickers
Cooper/Lawson
Welsh
Green
I think we should bring in cavubati
Wilson
Latu
Fonua
Tane
Willis/Flood
Goneva
Socino
Mermoz
Sinoti
Matavesi

25 November, 2017 05:29
And DTH

zackary71 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 07:05
Sorry OP...but the thread title shows a complete lack of respect to our visitors. Glaws defence was immense. Falcons with 65% possession yet completely devoid of invention. Think apart from the lax defending for at least 3 of their Tries, we let the game slip with Twelvetrees binning. Take the 3 and 9 mins to work your way back. Instead, 8 mins of toil with nowt to show for it. The injuries didn't help, and with a fully fit back line, can't help thinking the result would have been very different.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 07:24
Don’t think injuries can be used as an excuse, Glaws were missing Ben Morgan, Moriarty and Sharples and maybe more. Hopefully this week is spent coaching how to play with a bit of variation in attack rather than just passing the ball along the line. To repeat however, huge credit to Glaws, they’re on a great run and are looking very impressive.

dksniper (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 07:45
I agree the Glos defence was superb but we also made it easier for them to read. With that much possession you have to be able to vary your attack play more than pass sideways and deeply.

Too far away (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 08:48
Glaws played well, but the falcons performance particularly in the first 30 minutes was poor.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 09:05
Glos did play well you got to admit that, but I just felt overall we were poor the lack of physicality from us stood out for me, I know I keep saying but we miss Fonua for them yards or even somebody like him. I mean why did we even bother bringing in Cavubati the big Fiji lock if we not even going to give him a chance, he brings something different to us. Yes Glos were very good but we didn't help ourselves overall. smiling smiley

telfs123 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 09:13
Every week or so I see people screaming for Fonua to use a ball carrier to get us over the gain line, but I cant actually remember a single time he has actually done that in the Premiership...I just remember a lot of build up and then an inevitable knock on anytime someone comes near him.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 10:27
Very disappointing again. Early in the season it seemed like we were really making progress, but now that's been thrown in to doubt. Our performance last night was like we've gone back three years in three weeks. We need to get back on track quickly

Let's hope they really get it sorted this week and we put in an spirited, motivated, go forward display next Friday at Saints.

eebagum (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 10:40
Just a few observations from last night...
Was our 10-12-13 the smallest ever in the Premiership against possibly the best current defence in the Premiership- Sarries had a real problem against them last week.No wonder the ball went laterally. I bet Glaws were rubbing their hands when they saw our line-up.
Flood tried to straighten it up a bit but was engulfed in the Glaws defence.
Can anyone remember a Falcons offload, a few half-breaks found few support runners.
Whether we believed the early season hype we showed little intensity apart from the start of the 2nd half.
Interestingly our favourite ref has nt had a mention- he must have had a good game! I think the Gloucester defence line maybe overstepped the mark regularly -especially when we were near their line - but was nt picked up by any official.
Overall tho, no excuses we were well beaten by a better team performance on the night.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 11:10
Hi, Cavubati is out for a few months with a foot injury, as we said a while ago.

limpopo (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 11:56
My my my, it hasn't taken long for the usual whingers to appear on the board to express their contempt for the team. Looking back at the posts before the three games before Glaws, most correspondents declared that they would be delighted to get a losing point or two!

mannin (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 09:18
I don't think it's whingeing to say we were poor, it's pretty factual. We looked like the Falcons of the past few seasons - throw it around a bit but never really look threatening and look quite uninterested at times in defence.

In response to the Fonua chat, he's got over the mainline in the Premiership on a regular basis but hasn't been used that well by us. Even when he doesn't get the ball, he scares defenders into thinking they need to put more than one defender on him. None of our other carriers worry a defence.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 12:40
Fonua was carrying over the gameline at will for London Welsh.

limpopo (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 16:27
The title of this message (Rubbish) simply re-enforces my point

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net