rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 20th April v Gloucester Rugby at Kingsholm, 7.45pm

Friday 27th April v Leicester Tigers at Welford Road, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 35-30 Sale Sharks

Getting into the ground is now ridiculous!!
Kath... (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 23:47
We hold Westand tickets we arrived at 7.30pm might have been a couple of mins sooner .... it only takes us 10 mins to walk to the ground from up by PC world area.

We were still queuing to get in when the game kicked off. Utter shambles. Are the club wanting me to say stuff it I will watch it on TV.

I was so annoyed and the garbage served up on the field deaf., did not give me any match day experience.

Come on Management you surely can do better than that.

I am seriously re considering my season ticket next year after tonight's fiasco.

Re: Getting into the ground is now ridiculous!!
Simmo7 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 00:03
I've complained many times about having to walk to the North part of the West Stand to get in being a North Stand season ticket holder, my argument being that I'm literally walking into the same stand, using the same toilets, bars and food stores and yet I've always got to walk to the other end for no good reason? With terrible excuses such as the scanners won't work on my card, which is just utter rubbish.

This season I've not even tried to use the turnstiles at the south side of the stand because standing in a queue to get turned away seems pointless.

On one occasion I've been told while standing at the north side entrance that it was the south side and I had to go to the other one??? I had to argue with the lady on the door that it wasn't.

Today I go to the north side and the turnstiles were closed, I had to peak into one of the doors which was slightly ajar to ask if anyone was scanning, to which the reply was "no, we have no scanners, you'll have to use the southy side entrance", I just laughed.

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 08:19
Luckily no such bother in the South Stand. The only good thing about the evening - oh I forgot the pie which was very nice.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 08:29
No probs In the north stand either...be great once we get our roof though was a tad chilly round the old w.... Last night....

Blofeld (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 11:11
yep we had the same issue getting into the North stand through the same entrance that we have been directed to for over ten years..ie the north end of the west stand.The steward seemed to think we should have apologised to him because there 'was no scanner here so i cannot let you in'...although he rather wittily offered to walk the length of the west stand to get a scanner and return but his kind offer was declined. He didn't have a reply to the question' why is the door manned if no one can come in? but it did make my guests who were attending for the first time wonder what it was all about

Timeshock! (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 12:08
Last night was a complete shambles, a group of us always arrive together and have a drink in the west stand bars, we have different tickets split between west stand and North stand

The queues at the south west turnstiles were ridiculous with no queues at the south terrace. We were walking up to the North west entrance where we are normally directed, a huge queue was at the entrance mid way along the west stand, just passing that entrance a steward told us we could go no further as that entrance was closed! At that point the respective ticket holders split up. We got to the North east terrace entrance, no turnstiles, no queue, just one person scanning at the open gate and another doing bag checks. traipsed along to west stand bar but did not met with our group, apparently they go in with a minute to go to kick-off, 20 mins they were stood outside, so no beer sales for them!

It makes for a miserable start to a matchday experience. I read the other thread regarding stewards checking tickets to the respective stands for the cup matches when the North stand was closed, fair enough allow the correctly paid ticket holders I to those areas but dictating which entrance to use when people are enroute to bars, meeting point, and catering is just plain daft, people can use their eyes and judgements to get in where the queues are shortest, it make better use of your resources as well. As for closing the North stand for safety/stewarding issues on low crowd days that just does not stand up their were only two stewards last night on the North terrace and we were fairly busy (over 6700 in total for last nights attendance.

Come on management get it sorted and for gods sake consistent.

Kath... (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 16:13
It was a total joke and has been the last few matches. It is easier to get into Twickenham than the Falcons. Fed up with it.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 16:45
We got in the ground no problem and bars etc were fine all night in the Tap and Tackle and South Stand.

Our only problem was parking,we arrived reasonably early as usual to try and get parked and no car park full signs but steward told us was chocka you have to park at the school. We ended up parking at KP metro station park as just as easy and free but people who arrived after we walked to stadium paid and parked in stadium car park? Wasn't a massive deal to us but lost revenue for club.

aidanb (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 11:15
Quote:
steve1888
We got in the ground no problem and bars etc were fine all night in the Tap and Tackle and South Stand.
Our only problem was parking,we arrived reasonably early as usual to try and get parked and no car park full signs but steward told us was chocka you have to park at the school. We ended up parking at KP metro station park as just as easy and free but people who arrived after we walked to stadium paid and parked in stadium car park? Wasn't a massive deal to us but lost revenue for club.

Thatís happened before Steve

My mate was pre paid and the steward on that gate tried to turn him away.
He was in the car behind me and I got through without an issue even though I needed to pay cash at the next guy.
My mate just ignored the steward and when we got into the car park it wasnít even quarter full.

Thereís something really really odd going on with the stewarding at the moment.

pa8 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 11:23
Well Iíve stopped using the east side turnstiles of the south stand, theyíre never open on time and then either the scanners havenít been working or the stewards donít know how to use them. It had become somewhat of a joke to bet which itíd be. Iíve never had any probs at the west side turnstiles.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:58
I'm assuming they trying to get people to go to the school but I was clear that if I had to walk anyway I might as well use free parking.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:58
Went to leave on Friday and saw a group of folks being told by an officious steward she wouldn't open the door to the South Stand - they had to walk out through the big gates - the game had about 6 minutes to run so what odds does it make where you walk out?

Timeshock! (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 15:35
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
Went to leave on Friday and saw a group of folks being told by an officious steward she wouldn't open the door to the South Stand - they had to walk out through the big gates - the game had about 6 minutes to run so what odds does it make where you walk out?

Just another example of extremely poor customer service, its not as if we are new at this.

aidanb (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 15:52
Quote:
Timeshock!
Quote:
Bedlington Lad

Just another example of extremely poor customer service, its not as if we are new at this.

As I've said a few times now, i think this is because they have a newer stewarding team in there and they aren't as comfortable with ourselves yet. I'm sure the management will be working with them to sort these issues out

.Mick Hogan (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 17:54
Dear All

Thanks for the feedback which we will discuss at our post match meeting tomorrow.

To answer a couple of the queries/comments we did have an usually late arrival to the game on Friday. Not sure whether this was transport related, Black Friday shopping or another reason but it caused large queues at the turnstiles. This happened around 19.30. Fifteen minutes before KO is far too late to turn up and expect immediate entry. As crowds continue to grow supporters need to be at the ground 45 minutes before KO or earlier if possible. Worth noting that big stadia like Old Trafford and Wembley will not guarantee you will see the KO unless you are there an hour before the game starts. Yes they are far larger grounds but they also have far more turnstiles as well.

We are also being far more vigilant on tickets that are presented to turnstile operators. More and more now we have people arriving with the wrong ticket - some of it genuine error but increasingly fraudulent. It causes considerable congestion.

On the exit comment unfortunately we have to be far more stringent on the number and location of places where people can exit the ground. This is a necessary reaction to the Manchester Arena terrorist attack. Yes it does cause an inconvenience but hopefully this is now clear why this is the case.

We will work on the adults congregating at the front of the South Stand which I know is causing frustration. What is obvious now is that we have a small minority of supporters who either ignore the stewards or are openly hostile when asked to move into the stand. The stewards aren't always perfect we get that. But as crowds are growing they are being challenged more and more and some of the time it is not always pleasant. If they ask you to do something please listen and act accordingly. It is not the start of a debate and yes they need to ask in a professional courteous manner but please understand they give certain instructions for a reason.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We do value it. If you have any comments re match-day please direct to steve.storey@newcastle-falcons.co.uk

Regards

Mick

aidanb (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:07
Bloody hill Mick
I bet none of us calculated the gates as being terror related.

.Mick Hogan (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:19
Aidan

I attended a Premiership Rugby National Terrorism & Threat Level Meeting two weeks ago. The challenge facing the security services is considerable. They give us constant advice and updates and let us know how we can all make our stadia as safe and secure as possible.

With bag searches, minimising exit gates and more stewards we are ensuring KP is as safe as it can be. Supporters can and do help by being our eyes and ears in the stands. If you are unsure of anything please report it to a steward.

Whilst there has never been any specific threat issued to KP we must always remain as vigilant as possible.

Thanks for everyone's co-operation as ever.

Regards

Mick

dksniper (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:33
The stewards will be acting on instructions folks.

Kath... (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 23:48
Quote:
Fifteen minutes before KO is far too late to turn up and expect immediate entry

I did not expect immediate entry I never said that at all.

I have never had a problem until the last few games. They always used to hav two doors at the Weststand south side open. Now there's only one door and 2 turnstiles.

One of the big problems is the turnstiles and the people trying to scan the season ticket. It took the girl 3 attempts to get the angle correct before mine went through and 5 attempts for my husband's ticket to be accepted.

That is the thing slowing everything down.

So I don't buy the bit about turning up far too late,

And finally I am not prepared to turn up 45 minutes before kick off, It might be ok for many to do this but not for me.

.Mick Hogan (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:00
Kath

I'm sorry but 15 minutes is far too late. It is at KP or any other stadium. It's your right to turn up when you want but the bigger crowds are here to stay. You will risk missing kick off if you turn up at this time.

The doors at the end of the stand are not now used for entry. Its turnstiles only like every other major sports stadia.

Sorry but the above can't be changed. Turnstiles and earlier arrival allow us to get all spectators in the ground properly, safely and in a secure manner.

Regards

Mick

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:40
15 minutes is only far too late if lots of people are there at 15 minutes. If one person turns up 15 minutes before KO then they will be able to wander in with no problems at all. Unless the turnstiles are shut. In which case it isn't the time people turn up but the numbers and how quickly they can access the ground. Having to scan a card 5 times is like an extra 5+ people going through. It is access that is the issue not the time people turn up. Telling people they have to be in the ground three quarters of an hour before KO is unhelpful and, to be honest, rather rude and insulting. Getting an average of less than seven and a half thousand into a ground with a capacity of over 10k shouldn't be reliant on people turning up 45 minutes early. If it is, then there are real safety issues with ingress and egress.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:53
I arrived at about 7.25pm on Friday night and got into the Tap and Tackle immediately, no queue and my ticket was scanned first time. There was a mighty queue at the south end of the West Stand though :-(

pa8 (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 10:15
Thanks GL. On another note London buses are red and the sky gets dark at night.

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 10:15
Problems once again with the Metro from the coast may not have helped matters on Friday. I missed the first ten minutes due to delays between Wallsend and Whitley.

.Mick Hogan (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:03
We have had our post-match meeting this morning and a major part of the issue was the metro's going down and replacement buses all arriving at once. This happened at 19.30.

It isn't rude and insulting to point out that people should give themselves as much time as possible to get to the ground and gain entry. Ultimately if lots of people can't or won't do that then we will have long queues. It's each supporters choice as to when they arrive but please don't look to lay blame elsewhere if thousands also choose to do the same. All we are saying is please try to give yourself as much time as possible.

We did react on Friday by overriding the scanning system and letting people gain entry via other stand turnstiles and even exit gates. Not ideal but everyone got in by kick off. The Leicester game had over 10,000 in all well before kick off. The reason was we had lots of fans here earlier, possibly because it was a Sunday and people have more time to plan their journey.

We'll continue to work with supporters and try to ensure that everyone's match-day experience is as enjoyable and as safe as possible.

Mick

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:15
Christ Almighty - we do have some whingers don't we........ wake up, smell the coffee, live in the real world - just read the news, I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about terrorist threats BUT it does happen and the Falcons have a duty of care - the more we can do to help the stewards, the less delays there will be for other members of the Falcons Family

aidanb (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:30
Quote:
CharlieDog
Christ Almighty - we do have some whingers don't we........ wake up, smell the coffee, live in the real world - just read the news, I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about terrorist threats BUT it does happen and the Falcons have a duty of care - the more we can do to help the stewards, the less delays there will be for other members of the Falcons Family

This

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:49
Maybe we have all grown used to the rather easier procedures that we enjoyed for a few years, no turnstiles, wide doors, no queues. The club has quite rightly brought in measures such as a return to the use of turnstiles, bag checks, added to more stringent checking of tickets to weed out those who abuse the concession discounts.

I remember the queues that we had years ago when Friday night games were first introduced, not caused by anything the club did, just too many people (myself included) turning up at the same time. Give it time, we will get used to allowing a bit more time & it will sort itself out.

Look on the bright side, at least we get to see Premiership rugby in a proper rugby ground, which is more than some supporters can say. I am quite happy with our lot.

toonaew (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 14:44
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
CharlieDog

This

Seconded!

dick g (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:30
My concern is not when bags are searched, but when they are not.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:46
To be fair thereís few things worse than when youíve taken your seat, the game starts, and thereís a steady stream of latecomers either pass in front of you or you have to stand up for. This is the same at the pictures, gigs (the sit down ones), football or even your childís prize giving. Not sure why people canít be bothered to try and get there in good time. Personally feel Iíve been robbed if I miss a kick off. Maybe just me.

As for searches,if the price of safety is to arrive earlier can anyone seriously complain?

Kath... (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:49
Mick

Quote:
We did react on Friday by overriding the scanning system and letting people gain entry via other stand turnstiles and even exit gates. Not ideal but everyone got in by kick off.[/quote

Sorry Mick but the above did not happen for us we stood for over 25 mins and had to have our tickets scanned as I said .....It took the girl 3 attempts to get the angle correct before mine went through and 5 attempts for my husband's ticket to be accepted.

And as another poster has pointed out - this is one of the real problems, if you consider the attempts trying to scan how many fans would have got through if the scanning system worked first time. And I can't believe we were the only ones who needed their tickets scanned more than once.

I am not stupid and feel your response is a bit patronising. We realised there was a lot of people compared to normal and we accepted we had to wait and que but I have never qued for 25 mins to get into the ground with the que hardly moving.

We missed the kick off! So it was obviously our fault.

For personal reasons I am not able to get there until 15-20 mins before so will just have to live with the situation.

Oh! And shut up whinging as some people call it on here.

It seems you can't voice your frustration without being told you are whinging I felt I had a valid point about the scanning system .... and I can't be the only one.

Kath... (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:52
Quote:
To be fair thereís few things worse than when youíve taken your seat, the game starts, and thereís a steady stream of latecomers either pass in front of you or you have to stand up for

Agreed and half of them are from the bar

That is the first time I have ever missed kick off

Bonus Point Rugby (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 17:26
Does the waiting time not have anything to do with a lack of turnstiles in general? There seems to be a lot fewer turnstiles available compared to similarly sized grounds.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 22:24
Sadly I overheard some Ďadvanced in yearsí supporters being pretty rude to some of the stewards doing their job and checking bags a couple of matches ago. Donít care if you have a gold ticket, season ticket or a Willy Wonka Golden Pass, if it come to my kids ability to feel safe in the ground they love or someone who should have set of earlier missing a couple of minutes of the game, I have zero sympathy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net