rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 27-Saturday 28 July Premiership Sevens at Franklin's Gardens

Saturday 11 August v Nottingham Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Exeter Chiefs 36-5 Newcastle Falcons

Van Der Where?
dick g (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 07:52
Have I missed something about DTH? Havn'the seen anything about him for a long time.

Re: Van Der Where?
markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 07:54
Hi, he played 3 tests for Canada last month and is back in training with us

steve1888 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 08:03
I don't he think he was registered for the cup was he?

falconbear (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 23:10
I see DTH has been named in the Canadian squad this weekend. Hmmmmm....

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 23:59
Why Ďhmmm?í

Under World Rugby regs we have to release all internationals when they are called up during test windows.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 08:34
I did see a headline in one of the papers recently:

DTH VAN DE MERWE TO VISIT BRITAIN!

But it was just silly press speculation.
(Sm100)

DB23 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 09:11
I appreciate this thread is somewhat tongue in cheek but it is unfortunate that we havenít seen much of DTH in a Falcons shirt.

I am sure DTH will want to be playing regularly for us, he wouldnít have signed otherwise, and Iím looking forward to seeing more of him as heís a very good player.

The positive for us is that he actually hasnít been missed which tells you how well our back line has been performing and the quality in the squad we have.

Susiewong (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 10:55
Do we get more in compensation than it costs us for his wages or are we running at a loss?

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 11:03
Perhaps we can add the mysterious Maxime Mermoz to the corps of "missing not in action" superstars. Played 35 times for France and once for the Falcons when he spent most of his game time wandering alone around the back field muttering like the famous Epinal albatross.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 11:18
Well he is French. They are renowned for being mercurial and not liking cold weather and rain.

Speaking of that, I see the Bordeaux 10 who was so effective against us, starts for France. He really does look like the sort of player they have missed across their whole backline for 20 years.

Could make for an interesting game....

markismith50 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 11:29
Maxime has played 5 times for us, not 1, excluding friendlies. He has been injured for much of his stay and is also in a position in which we have a number of in-form players. Likewise DTH. You could hardly say our wingers haven't been performing.

Rest assured, the players all want to be fit, and they all want to play. We can only pick 15 starters and 8 subs every week, out of a squad of around 60.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 12:01
It is frustrating for supporters, not able to see the players that were announced as being the way forward for the club. Must be immensely frustrating for the club too, but worst of all for the players, who just want to get on the pitch & show what they can do.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 12:45
I may be mistaken, but I thought Maxime M has only made one start for us in the Premiership and that was against Leicester. As somebody said earlier this thread is a bit tongue in cheek and we're playing some great winning stuff without either of them.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 13:22
Has Mermoz played a Premiership game? Really can't recall it, I know he's played in Europe.

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 16:14
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
Has Mermoz played a Premiership game? Really can't recall it, I know he's played in Europe.

Norfolk, he played 24 minuets against Leicester at home in Premiership.
Got him also playing 2 European games at home 1 away at Bordeaux and 2 Anglo-Welsh games. These were all between October and the start of November so we havenít seen him since 11 November 2017. No ideal but players get injured unfortunately in an ideal world Iíd love to see Mermoz and Matavesi in the centre with wingers of Goneva and DTH. Sinoti and JPS or Charris to come on it has some look to it that back line.

Falconski (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 17:22
Add Jack Illnicki to that list aswell. I don't even they he has played an A league game.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 17:25
Jake has played one first team game and a host of A-League.

03 February, 2018 17:31
Quote:
Falconski
Add Jack Illnicki to that list aswell. I don't even they he has played an A league game.

I think Jake Ilnicki has played a fair bit of A-League and Iím sure he cane off the bench in the Premiership not so long back?

Iíll see your Ilnicki and raise you Tevita Cavubati cane off the bench first game of the season and never seen since constantly walking around in a moon boot. He could be a serious injury that takes the full season to heal I donít know?

This goes back to the debate of why the club are so secretive around injuries. I can see both sides of the debate, you donít want to tell the opposition whoís out helping them to prepare but itís frustrating to not know why players are not selected.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 17:34
Tevita was involved fairly regularly when fit, but suffered a long term foot injury in an A-League game.

03 February, 2018 17:46
Quote:
markismith50
Tevita was involved fairly regularly when fit, but suffered a long term foot injury in an A-League game.

Cheers Mark I thought that Iíd seen you comment on this somewhere earlier.

Robs (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 19:02
Quote:
Kwa444
...., I see the Bordeaux 10 who was so effective against us, starts for France. He really does look like the sort of player they have missed ...

He's a bit slow though!
He was out sprinted by our third choice hooker over 50 metres when Bordeaux played us!!

falconbear (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 19:32
Indeed it is a bit of tongue in cheek Smithy. Out of interest has DTH started more Canadian games than he has Falcons games this season? That would be amazing for such a great player. But i guess it shows our strength in depth in the back 3.
By the way, the man who started this thread deserves thread-title of the season. Van Der Where?! ...You shouldíve been a journalist Dick*

* said with tongue in cheek.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 22:45
DTH scored twice tonight in a 32-31 loss away to Uruguay, Evan & Jake also started.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 09:05
I would of liked to have seen more of him, but it just shows how well our current players in his position are doing. smiling smiley

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 09:18
Guys, are we not just giving these guys an unecessary kicking for playing for their countries. I kinda like seeing international names on the back of our jerseys. Itís kinda a nice problem to ha a really and means our squad has come a long way . We are starting to feel the hurt that the bigger clubs have felt every time the 6 nations kicks off.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 09:56
Nobody is giving anyone a kicking, just venting frustration that the timing of injuries means that Scrabble gets to play for his country but we never see him on the park here.

I was chuffed to bits to see the team list for Scotland yesterday with Lawson, Welsh & Charris. Really made me proud of our club.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 10:24
Itís not just the timing of injuries, itís the abundance of in-form players in his position, as Iíve repeatedly said.

All players want to play, sadly we can only field 15 of them at any one time.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 11:03
It was a thrill to see our guys on the field yesterday even if it was in a losing cause. The Falcons now have such a well organised defence that poor Chris Harris must have wondered what he got involved with. Russell and Price were playing like headless chickens. I hope he's not made a scapegoat for Scotland's defensive failings.

Fingers crossed now Gary Graham gets his first cap during this 6 Nations. It'll be great to see another Falcon wearing the red rose.

As for VDM its a measure of our depth of talent now that he hasn't made the starting squad. I bet he didn't expect that a few months ago.

Come on you Waspies!

pa8 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 15:02
Thank you Wasps! Although it was a tall order for Leicester in the first place. Tries for Watson and Miller and even an appearance by Andy Saull.

Falconski (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 07:22
The bottom line is Illnicki was brought in as cover at prop and has played once. Might just be me but i dont see the point when we have Welah and Bobby Vickers et al playing way to many games.

Davie Wilson needs renaming Sicknote

exhooker (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 08:35
It doesn't really matter who isn't playing we have got to the position where we can just about put out 2 23 man squads without one being vastly inferior to the other. It's the best position we have been in for years.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 10:21
Quote:
exhooker
It doesn't really matter who isn't playing we have got to the position where we can just about put out 2 23 man squads without one being vastly inferior to the other. It's the best position we have been in for years.
+1

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 10:38
Quote:
Falconski
The bottom line is Illnicki was brought in as cover at prop and has played once. Might just be me but i dont see the point when we have Welah and Bobby Vickers et al playing way to many games.

What's really good about this site is that we have individuals with such intimate and factual knowledge of players performance stats as well as the coaches selection meetings that they can give us such a clear insight into recruitment policy. For that we must all be so thankful..................?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 11:10
Quote:
Falconski

You answered your own point: cover. Welsh missed half of his first season with us through injury and in such a situation, would you want to rely on the two Wilsons and the inexperienced Davison?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net