rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 20th January v Enisei-STM at Avchala Stadium (Tbilisi), 10.00am UK time

Saturday 27th January v Bath Rugby at The Recreation Ground, 3.00pm (AW Cup)

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 64-7 Enisei-STM

Fri15th Dec Dragons v Falcons teams
aidanb (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 11:20
Newcastle Falcons team to face Dragons (Friday, 7.30pm, Rodney Parade)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Zach Kibirige

13 Tom Penny

12 Josh Matavesi

11 Adam Radwan

10 Joel Hodgson

9 Sam Stuart

1 Sam Lockwood

2 Ben Sowrey

3 Scott Wilson

4 Will Witty

5 Sean Robinson

6 Mark Wilson (captain)

7 Gary Graham

8 Ryan Burrows

Replacements

16 Jamie Blamire

17 Rob Vickers

18 Trevor Davison

19 Glen Young

20 Simon Uzokwe

21 Michael Young

22 Craig Willis

23 Charlie Wilson

Referee: Mike Adamson (Scotland)

Re: Fri15th Dec Dragons v Falcons teams
aidanb (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 11:22
3 Changes

via the official site

aidanb (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 11:26
The pace in our backline is a little bit scary.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 12:15
Has Craig Willis done something wrong? Was replaced early last week which I thought might have been resting him for the dragons game now he's on the bench. Shocking decision

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 12:28
Can't understand Hodgson starting instead of Willis. Recently, he's been Mr Lateral personified and was so slow in thought and action after coming off the bench last week. Seems like rough justice for Willis.

Nevertheless fingers crossed we emerge with a win, however we achieve it. Good luck boys!!

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 12:55
I can't work out why Willis seems out of favour at the club - can anyone enlighten us?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 13:24
Like the look of the back row again and there is some speed in them backs. smiling smiley

pityacker (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 13:39
My thoughts on Craig Willis seemingly being often overlooked is that perhaps he has decided to move on but I sincerely hope Iím wrong as myself along with many others see him as our best 10 this season.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 16:12
Maybe the plan all along was to start Craig last week and Joel this week, donít think it is anything other than seeing how player react from the start of the game or from the bench

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 17:57
17 of the 23 have come through the Falcons academy which is fantastic
Glad to see Zach and Radwan getting a start, serious has out wide from two young local lads
Another start for Lockwood and Scottie is great for the squad depth as well

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 18:00
I agree with pityacker. I think that they just want to rotate the fly halves in the event that Flood picks up an injury so they have both get some vital gametime. I wouldn't look into it deeply.

Hodgson is a good fly half. I think he is a valuable asset coming off the bench, he made a significant impact coming on against Northampton.

Looks like Green and Tait have been given the weekend off in view of Quins. Dragons side do not look like pushovers. I'm still confident and the fact that the team is almost second string goes to show the squad depth.

14 December, 2017 18:02
Also good to see Michael Young back on the bench. Gives us another option at scrum half.

Kingkiko2 (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 21:46
Is Uzokwe English qualified? If he is thatís another positive too, with only Matevesi from non-qualified. Looking forward to Kibridge playing and hope he really kicks on. On a side note would like too see Hodgson have a run at full back at some point as thatís what I feel is a position we could strengthen/add depth

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 07:52
Kingkiki, yes, he is English

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 11:09
Are there any other Falcons making the journey down? Me and my Dad are making a weekend of it and staying over should be a great game looking forward it.

oldlad (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 11:20
Yes just stating off now 4 hour drive.

Dragging (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 12:04
For tho use of you heading down - since the sale of Rodney Parade to the WRU, the clubhouse at the North end of the ground has been closed down. We (Dragons Official Supporters Club) have a new Supporters bar that weíve opened this year, which is in the Burnett Suite, above the changing rooms in the south west corner of the ground. Hope to see some of you there later - any questions, shout on here!

Cheers
Ryan

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 12:51
I'm led to believe there's a stag party from Blaydon RFC at the game, which should liven things up a bit!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 17:17
Cheers Dragging. I will be watching the game in front of the fire with beer and steak at hand. Can't think of a better way to end the week!

Leipziger (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 18:28
Quote:
lizard118
Cheers Dragging. I will be watching the game in front of the fire with beer and steak at hand. Can't think of a better way to end the week!

What channel's it on Lizard? It'd sure beat watching Sheff Wed v Wolves, which is what I have planned as me and my old man hold the baby while Mrs L goes out partying.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 18:32
Our game's not on TV, only a single camera set-up, nothing live. Sorry, folks.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 18:33
Cheers for the quick answer Smithy!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 18:41
It's on radio 1458mw, DAB and online via BBC Rugby website

15 December, 2017 18:44
Selecting Newport for their stag do. Brace choice!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 18:52
In fairness I think they had a weekend in Cardiff booked before the fixture was confirmed, but we're happy to have them here.

15 December, 2017 19:51
I did hope that they had other plans!

Robs (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 20:53
Good win against Dragons- albeit a bit nail biting at the end

Polite observation about the commentary: I listened to the last 15 on Radio NEwcastle and was really disappointed that the commentators hardly ever told us where the game was being played on the pitch. This was the case particularly at the end of the game when a drop goal or penalty for Dragons could have changed the result. Sadly we ,the listeners, had no idea if this was a likelihood

pa8 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 20:57
Cracking win. Keeps us on course for a home q/f.

15 December, 2017 21:06
Great stuff. 4 wins in 4 with the double header against the Russians to come. Get a bonus point win in the home leg and we might even be home and housed for a home quarter final before the trip to Russia.

These wins in Europe and the Anglo Welsh are continuing to instil the winning mentality and it's great that we now have the opportunity to really challenge in these competition.

Anyone attend care to provide their thoughts on the match?

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 21:25
Just 4 points required from our last two games to guarantee a home quarter final.

pa8 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 21:34
I think itís 7 points we need, Cardiff currently the worst of the group leaders and they can get a maximum 24 points.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 22:27
A solid result there, who stood out or who wasn't as good tonight then?. smiling smiley

Osric (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 06:02
Great stuff. An A team win would be good too, giving us a chance of featuring in some knock out stages and maybe, who knows, even some silverware.
Quins up next - really looking forward to it.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 10:33
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
lizard118

What channel's it on Lizard? It'd sure beat watching Sheff Wed v Wolves, which is what I have planned as me and my old man hold the baby while Mrs L goes out partying.
I've got a global box but unfortunately like Smithy said no cameras, therefore was unable to see the game, eventhough my box said I could watch it. In fact I was thinking of going to Newport which is only 30 minutes from me but for the misinformation from the said box.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 10:42
Robs, Iíve just listened back to the radio commentary of the game and feel your criticism is harsh, there were frequent mentions of field position, even in the last few mins.

All about opinions etc, and you are of course entitled to yours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/12/2017 11:18 by markismith50.

aidanb (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 11:11
Quote:
markismith50
Robs, Iíve just listened back to the radio commentary of the game and feel your criticism is harsh, there were frequent mentions of field position, even in the last few mins.
All about opinions etc but I know the commentary team were taken aback a bit by your comment, and I have to agree with them.

Mark,
Is there a link to allow the general public to listen back afterwards.

I know the county cricket commentary is often available to listen to after wards. (Or it used to be) and yes that is a whole 4 days of county cricket championship games online

markismith50 (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 11:20
Hi Aidan, no, not that I am aware of. My old man gets it sent to him by his brother who tapes it from the internet.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 13:06
I thought Smithy Snr and Dean Gray did a great job again capturing the atmosphere last night and criticism is unjustified. Their distinctive style and banter has become part of the Falcons matchday experience. The broadcast last night allowed us all to share the excitement of the game. Well done guys!

aidanb (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 16:05
Quote:
markismith50

trummy200 (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:04
Made a mistake and managed to 'tune in' to the Welsh version of the game for a couple of minutes - that was enough - Newcastle's coverage was in a different league.

aidanb (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:52
I was in Newcastle today trying to do a bit of shopping between drinking

I didnít see any Radleys on sale.

Are they a special type of hand bag ?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:59
Quote:
aidanb
Are they a special type of hand bag ?

Her Ladyship is partial to them, and at the price of the bloody things they damn well should be special. They just look like another bag for a woman to lose her car keys in, but with a little leather doggy shaped label.

Good beer money down the drain if you ask me.

16 December, 2017 18:00
Great game of rugby we just had enough to get the win. The 10 or so Falcons that weíre there made plenty of noise and the boys appreciated it at then end coming over and clapping us.

Stand outs weíre Josh Matavesi whoís running lines were great Sam Lockwood was as strong as an Ox, Sam Stuart had his best game in a Falcons shirt and it was great to see Scott Wilson get the game time he needs. Overall the whole team turned it on and dig in against a very tough Dragons side whoís set piece was brilliant. The pack will not have had a tougher test all season.

One point of note was the Daragons fans who at times were worse than Football fans. Itís great to be passionate and to be fair we were towards the Falcons but the amount of times they shouted for the referee (who was poor for both sides) to intervene was ridiculous. Itís not nice to walk away with sly comments from home fans about how we ďpayed the refĒ or ďare you giving the ref a lift backĒ, ďF-off back to EnglandĒ etc. It wasnít big or clever and not the sort of thing that should happen at Rugby.

Other than the few brainless people I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend.

16 December, 2017 19:01
Thanks for the summary Alnwick. All positive stuff from a playing perspective!

Deano and co are really going to struggle with team selection next Saturday. So many players have put themselves into contention.

16 December, 2017 20:35
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
Thanks for the summary Alnwick. All positive stuff from a playing perspective!
Deano and co are really going to struggle with team selection next Saturday. So many players have put themselves into contention.

Radwan, Burrows, Lockwood have to be close to starting against Quins. Burrows gave us go forward from a retreating scrum at times yesterday and he had some barnstorming runs against Bordeaux.

Robs (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 15:51
Quote:
markismith50

I have to admit that my listening was only for the Last 10-15 mins so I can't comment on the vast bulk of the game but I can recall little mention of field position particularly near the end.
Although I might have fallen asleep and missed it...!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net