rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 20th April v Gloucester Rugby at Kingsholm, 7.45pm

Friday 27th April v Leicester Tigers at Welford Road, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 35-30 Sale Sharks

Under-16s only in front of the South and North Stands
markismith50 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 14:39
Hi guys,

I just wanted to get in early to tell you about a change of policy from this weekend onwards, or more accurately the fact we will be strictly enforcing what has always technically been club policy.

Only under-16s will be allowed to stand in front of the South and North stands, ie the area immediately behind the advertising boards.

In previous games more and more adults had started standing in this area, including during the players' warm-ups. This area was always intended for junior supporters but, with crowd numbers increasing, the presence of adults there has meant the numbers have not been manageable.

Stewards will therefore be actively directing all over-16s into the terracing rather than allowing them to stand in those areas. We wish to stress this is not optional, it is on grounds of crowd safety and it is an instruction rather than a discussion.

I'll apologise for sounding heavy-handed but we have to be strict on this, and we want to make it clear from the outset that from now on those areas are strictly for under-16s only.

Any problems, as ever, please speak to your nearest steward. Crowd numbers for the game are looking good, and we hope you all enjoy what should be a cracking day.

Cheers
Smithy

Re: Under-16s only in front of the South and North Stands
aidanb (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 14:46
Yes sir

However, I agree with you.

Itís a great sight seeing the kids playing and watching down there whilst us lot have a beer or two up the stairs.

So stop being awkward sods and get your saggy old backsides up the stairs.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 14:53
I don,t think there is any need to apologize for this Mark....it is just a common sense approach from the club.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 15:20
It is a good policy mark, and no need to apologise as really there is no obligation for anybody being allowed to stand there. It is great that the kids can watch from there, and they obviously enjoy it, and it would be a shame if it causes such grief for the stewards that the privilege has to be taken away. If anybody complains that they won't leave their son or daughter there without them being there too, they can always take said child up into the stands.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 15:38
I hope they're going to enforce the no smoking in the north stand as well.

In the game against Gloucester there was a mass squad of absolutely pee'd up students all smoking cigarettes and those flippin pipe things that blow off like chimneys. Despite myself and many other regulars around them telling them to stop , we were verbally told to f..off and ignored. The stewards and officials came up about 4 times and warned them...yet not once did they eject anyone!

I was livid and was struggling to physically restrain myself from knocking lumps out of them!

Lets hope if it does happen again, its dealt with more severely.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 15:45
GeordieFalcon,

If you see anything like that repeated please speak to the stewards, and if the problem persists please insist that they escalate it with their supervisor. Apologies if this was not sufficiently dealt with last time as it should have been. If people are persistently flouting stadium rules after receiving fair warning, it's quite simple, they should be ejected.

Cheers
Smithy

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 15:50
Will do Smithy, cheers.

BH (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 19:03
This is a genuine enquiry and in no way a criticisms of this policy but I wonder if someone can explain how adults standing against the hoardings on the East terrace is any different to those doing the same on the North and South? There is probably a logical answer which is going to make me look stupid!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 19:21
The walkways in front of all other stands need to be clear to allow people to move around, especially if large numbers of people exit those stands. The East terrace doesn't lead anywhere, and there is no potential for a huge number of people to suddenly emerge into that space.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 19:23
When we take the kids we let them stand at the front then we stand just in the stand rather than at the back where we normally stand.

BH (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 19:39
Thanks for the "logical" explanation Monkey! Makes sense.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 19:43
I have no complaints about the club enforcing this rule however I hope this doesnít mean my wife and I end up having a chat with the stewards because Ďonly 1 of usí can stand with our son in the pushchair again

Leipziger (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 19:57
That didn't work then, at least in the South :-)

Greggs (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:58
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I hope they're going to enforce the no smoking in the north stand as well.
In the game against Gloucester there was a mass squad of absolutely pee'd up students all smoking cigarettes and those flippin pipe things that blow off like chimneys. Despite myself and many other regulars around them telling them to stop , we were verbally told to f..off and ignored. The stewards and officials came up about 4 times and warned them...yet not once did they eject anyone!

I was livid and was struggling to physically restrain myself from knocking lumps out of them!

Lets hope if it does happen again, its dealt with more severely.

You must stand quite near me GeordieFalcon - there was a crowd of about 10 of them right at the back pretty much directly underneath the scoreboard (East stand side) during the Gloucester game.

Re only kids standing behind the hoardings, I'm in total agreement. If adults want to stand next to the pitch, there's the Northeast/Southeast paddocks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 22:14 by Greggs.

Simmo7 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 11:19
In the North Stand yesterday was the first time I'd actually saw a steward telling people to move out of the yellow marks stairways, so props to that lady.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:10
Quote:
Leipziger

I can assure you it worked. If you had seen the walkway in front of the South Stand at the Leicester game you would appreciate how well it worked. By the end of the game there were a few adults at the front but on the whole the stewards did well to keep the area free for people to get past and for youngsters to enjoy their view from the hoardings.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 20:05
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
Leipziger

I can assure you it worked. If you had seen the walkway in front of the South Stand at the Leicester game you would appreciate how well it worked. By the end of the game there were a few adults at the front but on the whole the stewards did well to keep the area free for people to get past and for youngsters to enjoy their view from the hoardings.

Fair dos, it wasn't perfect but it wasn't causing a problem for the kids so perhaps much better than the Leicester game.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 20:12
Itís a learning process for both the stewards and our supporters, which should get easier in time as everyone gets used to it

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 02:12
The club announced a strict policy before the game

The club abandoned the strict policy in the South stand before the game had even started

The announcement was a load of utter cvbcbcbvbcvb.

I wish the club had followed through on their published policy jnstead of just following through

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/12/2017 14:34 by aidanb.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 19:38
The club today enforced a strict no adults in front of the south stand policy at todayís game. I have no issue with this. However, I have been at season ticket holder at Kingston Park for 10 years now and for 8 of those years I have stood at the back of the south stand until my wife and I welcomed a little boy into this world in 2015. Since then we have stood at the front of the south stand with the little lad in his push chair without issue until recently.
This came to ahead at todayís game when we need to have a chat with the senior safety officer before kick off after being told that we were not able to stand with the pushchair at the front of the stand.
We refused to move as there was no way we were leaving our son in the pushchair at the front whilst we stood in the stand. We go as a family, we watch as a family.
In the end, common sense prevailed but only after the senior safety officer, who was very professional, had to discuss the matter with match control.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread as the issue has come up before but not to the extent of todayís game
The club needs a little common sense when considering the needs to families with babies at the ground.

The Gambler (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 19:53
The stewards were very quick today to block the route across the front of the south stand for those West Stand fans in making their way to the East Stand to see the man of the match and enjoy the excellent free curry. Forcing fans out of the ground in this way means that they face the risk of being hit by the unstewarded traffic trying to leave the ground - I saw a near miss. I would be delighted to see the risk assessment published that shows it is safer to use the stewards to close off the South Stand route than it is to look after the risk to pedestrians from uncontrolled vehicle movements.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 19:56
Vaguely related - I'm bringing my 3 year old and my mate will be bringing my 1 year old god son to the Glos game.

Where's the best place to sit/stand?

aidanb (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:38
Quote:
The Gambler
The stewards were very quick today to block the route across the front of the south stand for those West Stand fans in making their way to the East Stand to see the man of the match and enjoy the excellent free curry. Forcing fans out of the ground in this way means that they face the risk of being hit by the unstewarded traffic trying to leave the ground - I saw a near miss. I would be delighted to see the risk assessment published that shows it is safer to use the stewards to close off the South Stand route than it is to look after the risk to pedestrians from uncontrolled vehicle movements.

It does seem as if you have to get to the east stand bar as soon as the game is over or the route is blocked.

One possible solution is to allow the path to be used but shut the stand.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:42
Quote:
lebigmac69
Vaguely related - I'm bringing my 3 year old and my mate will be bringing my 1 year old god son to the Glos game.

When Junior was small we used to take his push chair & use a disabled seating space at the front of the West Stand, as there are always plenty spare. Better than that however is to sit in the West & sit juniors on your knee if they are that sort of age.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:56
Quote:
lebigmac69

When we asked about bringing our little one in the pram to the Quins game, we were specifically told by someone in the ticket office that we could stand in the disabled bit at the fromt of the South, and had no problems at the game. Dancer's post above suggests there's been some miscommunication about doing this.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 21:05
Leipy,

We were told that the rule had been brought in specifically for this game off the back of the Quins game

steve1888 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 21:27
Firstly top marks to the steward looking after the South stand stair case (2nd along) he had PE103 on his jacket from memory. He kept the stairs clear, was friendly with everyone, asked about the rugby etc and couldn't have done his job better today.

The big knacker in the blue vest has an awful manner when we were trying to get round the let the kids join their friends on the pitch after getting some photos in front of East stand. Wouldn't care but a few mins later and it was free reign with no stewards around the south stand.

aidanb (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 21:41
Quote:
steve1888
......The big knacker in the blue vest has an awful manner when we were trying to get round the let the kids join their friends on the pitch after getting some photos in front of East stand.

I suspect thatís the same person who I was upset with before Christmas. Poor manner, poor attitude and lack of thought and care.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 21:45
Possibly, he let us past but his manner in front of the kids was poor at best.

However that doesn't cloud over how good the other steward was all game or another at front of South Stand who was spot on at start of the game.

aidanb (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 08:41
Quote:
steve1888
Possibly, he let us past but his manner in front of the kids was poor at best.
However that doesn't cloud over how good the other steward was all game or another at front of South Stand who was spot on at start of the game.
Agreed

The vast majority of the stewards are good natured and helpful.

On my way into the ground I was having a giggle with one of them who had a foot long piece of wood about a cm in diameter. He played along when I asked if it was crowd control. Good natured and likely to make people happier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net