rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 20th April v Gloucester Rugby at Kingsholm, 7.45pm

Friday 27th April v Leicester Tigers at Welford Road, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 35-30 Sale Sharks

Ref mike
Robs (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 00:41
Earlier this season I bought one of the ear piece receivers that allows you to tune into the ref. I' d used them before at Internationals and they're excellent giving you direct access to the refs decisions. I note that the big screen offers an explanation of decisions but it's not very consistant.
For a brief period in the first half today I understand the refs mike was being broadcast over the tannoy in the East Stand.
Could this be done at every game ?
If not, why not?
It's far better than the TVs commentators/ pundits who constantly talk over the ref. Don't get me wrong, some of the pundits are very entertaining and informative. Most agree that Flatman is very good but they nearly all talk over the ref. That to me is poor broadcasting. Think of the great commentators (Richie Benaud for one) whose input was minimal.
Are rugby commentators aware that we can hear the referees? If not they should review some of the games they comment on.
If they are aware then, I'm sorry, that's just bad broadcasting.
I digress, why not have the ref mike over the tannoy at every game?

Re: Ref mike
markismith50 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 00:50
The point of the radios is that its optional. Playing it over the PA would impose it on everyone, plus it could distract the players and plus its a commercial venture, so wed lose money.

aidanb (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 01:23
Plus it was a pain in the @#$%& to listen to everyone saying

Eeeeeeeeee the red is taliking through the speakers.

South stand was rubbish during it

limpopo (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 14:25
Quote:
markismith50
The point of the radios is that its optional. Playing it over the PA would impose it on everyone, plus it could distract the players and plus its a commercial venture, so wed lose money.

Totally agree, imposing the ref all the time over the PA would drive me bonkers in a similar way to "make some noise"!!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:12
I enjoyed it while it lasted but on reflection I think it would drive me nuts to have the ref feed over the PA all game.

pa8 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 19:04
Quote:
limpopo
Quote:
markismith50

Totally agree, imposing the ref all the time over the PA would drive me bonkers in a similar way to "make some noise"!!

+1

Leipziger (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 20:06
If the ref mike was on the speakers all game, we might also need the announcer interrupting every two minutes to apologise for swear words picked up :-)

Timeshock! (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 20:09
A strange thread indeed and informative, we are stood in the North terrace, we generally can't here the PA especially on big crowd days, so did not hear the ref over it, so it sounds as if many people could whereby our ref radio had great difficulty picking up the ref, we could here the whistle and the players puffing and panting but very little of the ref, having said that the ref seemed few on words anyway and it is not up to him to make a show of it.

Robs (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 20:13
Quote:
Timeshock!
A strange thread indeed and informative, we are stood in the North terrace, we generally can't here the PA especially on big crowd days, so did not hear the ref over it, so it sounds as if many people could whereby our ref radio had great difficulty picking up the ref, we could here the whistle and the players puffing and panting but very little of the ref, having said that the ref seemed few on words anyway and it is not up to him to make a show of it.

I have to admit Saturdays ref was not a good example

24 December, 2017 22:38
For the few minutes he was transmitted to the masses, he didn't say much. Which surprised me.

Robs (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 00:36
Yes. he was very quiet compared to Barnesey Nigel Owens etc who are brilliant at talking to the players AND keeping the listeners informed which,for me, is far better than commentators/ pundits offering their opinion on what they think is happening

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 09:11
I thought the ref had a good game I hardly noticed him.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 December, 2017 09:19
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
I thought the ref had a good game I hardly noticed him.

You must be right, I hardly even knew he was there now you mention it. Sign of a good ref.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net