rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 16 December v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Sunday 23 December v Gloucester Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Edinburgh Rugby 31-13 Newcastle Falcons

Lon Irish v Falcons Sat 30 Dec Teams etc
aidanb (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:53
Newcastle Falcons team to face London Irish (Saturday, 3pm, Madejski Stadium)

15 Simon Hammersley
14 Alex Tait
13 Chris Harris
12 Juan Pablo Socino
11 Vereniki Goneva
10 Toby Flood
9 Sonatane Takulua

1 Rob Vickers
2 Kyle Cooper
3 Jon Welsh
4 Calum Green
5 Sean Robinson
6 Mark Wilson (captain)
7 Gary Graham
8 Nili Latu

Replacements
16 Ben Sowrey
17 Sam Lockwood
18 Scott Wilson
19 Evan Olmstead
20 Will Welch
21 Michael Young
22 Joel Hodgson
23 Josh Matavesi

Referee: Tom Foley

Team for Irish and report

London Irish
15 Greig Tonks
14 Joe Cokanasiga
13 Tom Fowlie
12 Johnny Williams
11 Alex Lewington
10 James Marshall
9 Scott Steele

1 Gordon Reid
2 Saia Faingaía
3 Petrus du Plessis
4 Franco van der Merwe
5 Teofilo Paulo
6 Mike Coman (c)
7 Max Northcote-Green
8 Ofisa Treviranus

Replacements
16 Tom Woolstencroft
17 Ben Franks
18 Ollie Hoskins
19 Sebastian De Chaves
20 Blair Cowan
21 Ben Meehan
22 Theo Brophy Clews
23 Aseli Tikoirotuma

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2017 14:27 by aidanb.

Re: Lon Irish v Falcons Sat 30 Dec Teams etc
AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:05
Why did we even sign DTH van der Merwe?. Otherwise a solid team there. smiling smiley

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:27
Looks a good side. Real shame that Sinoti is not available this week. He looks to have been getting back to his best the last few games.

Other than Flood, Graham and Matavesi on the bench he complete team is comprised with players from last season which will help continuity. I still expected the likes of Burrows and DTH to be prominent members of the first team but although available they are not being selected.

aidanb (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:40
Great to see the hairy monster back in the match day squad

our wings needed some support

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:03
No DTH? Injured?
Shame Witty is out heís been outstanding
We need to win this game if we are to make top 6

sour (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 14:04
We should have a field day. Irish defence from first phase has been woeful, and it's when we're best.

pityacker (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 14:43
Alex Tait a decent solid full back but not a winger and doesnít score many tries and DTH has a great scoring record wherever he has been but his only regular game time since coming to KP when not injured has been for Canada.

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 17:03
Tait is an excellent defender and may have been selected to nullify Lewington. Whilst he may not have searing pace like Kibiridge or Radwan, he runs good lines and is always looking for work. I have no problem with him at 14 tomorrow.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 18:52
We've not been scoring enough tries recently and would have preferred to see Matavesi start, but fingers crossed again that we dig deep for one last win in 2017 however we manage it. Good luck boys!!

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 19:29
I think Tait is a solid full back but like pityacker says he isn't a winger. smiling smiley

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 20:33
Quote:
AFalcon24
I think Tait is a solid full back but like pityacker says he isn't a winger. smiling smiley

Well obviously the people who know what they are doing disagree.........

Osric (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 08:56
Beware the wounded dog and all that ...

Hoping for a win which secures safety.

Safety makes re- signings and new signings more likely.

COF

aidanb (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 10:54
We do love a good moan at our players donít we

Admittedly Iím no fan of Calum Green despite everyone in the world loving him. Was it he who dropped the open goal v quins ?

But Tait is rock solid and these last 2 years has been as good as any of our backs. He may not hit the heights of Goneva in attack or The Chopper in defence but he is a rock solid 7 (sometimes an 8) every game. Goneva is suspect is defence at times whereas Tait isnít.

What Iím trying to say is, he is a top quality player and we are lucky to have him to call on when the superstars are just falling off the heights or are injured.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:01
I'm not doubting Tait's ability whatsoever. He is a great utility player for us, runs really good lines and as you say he definitely is one of our most consistent players, I'm just surprised that DTH hasn't featured when available.

I'd actually prefer Tait over Hammersley at full back although the latter has shown glimpses of his form shown in his breakthrough season.

Come on you Falcons. Let's make it 5 wins on the bounce! Safe travels to anyone attending.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2017 11:02 by NorfolkFalcon.

aidanb (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:04
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
I.....
I'd actually prefer Tait over Hammersley at full back although the latter has shown glimpses of his form shown in his breakthrough season.

Yes to that.

The Hammer seems to have slipped off the level he showed a while ago and Tait is a better high ball defender by far.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:55
I am always happy to see Taity on the team sheet. He brings a sensible head to the backs & generally things seem to tick better when he is involved.

I am backing us for a good win but as mentioned above, beware the underdog. LI will start to tick soon & somebody will be on the receiving end of a nasty bite, just hope it isn't us.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 14:47
Quote:
aidanb
We do love a good moan at our players donít we
Admittedly Iím no fan of Calum Green despite everyone in the world loving him. Was it he who dropped the open goal v quins ?

But Tait is rock solid and these last 2 years has been as good as any of our backs. He may not hit the heights of Goneva in attack or The Chopper in defence but he is a rock solid 7 (sometimes an 8) every game. Goneva is suspect is defence at times whereas Tait isnít.

What Iím trying to say is, he is a top quality player and we are lucky to have him to call on when the superstars are just falling off the heights or are injured.

I honestly think tait is a liability at fullback he has missed 4-5 one on one tackles this year alone that have lead to tryís, he came on last week for sinoti and had a great game on the wings may not have the pace of other wings but picks decent lines,

steve1888 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 15:27
Looking the winger today with his two well taken tries that any winger would be happy with, Taity is one of out most consistent players IMO.

aidanb (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 15:31
I love it when the players make mockerys of us

Calum Green steals a line out to mock me and Tait has two tries to his name to mock all of the people who dont rate him.

aidanb (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 15:46
I love it even more when we try battering it over the line and then pass it out for a score

Some of us have been asking for that type of try for a long time instead of just keeping it in the forwards forever

London Irish 9 - Newcastle Falcons 20 at half time

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 15:47
Well done Tait! I was one what didn't see why he was picked on the wing. smiling smiley

steve1888 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 15:58
Taits kick to the corner that brought about the third try too.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:20
More than happy with the win but no points in the second half is disappointing
Missed out on a crucial BP

DB23 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:52
Another good win. Will happily take four points, no game is easy and London Irish are fighting to retain their Premiership status.

Up to fifth in the table, who wouldnít have taken that at this stage in the season.

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 20:51
I am very happy with the win and an unbeaten December is great news. I watched the game on Rugbypass. I donít want to be negative,but today we were not at our best yet still scored 3 tryís which shows our desire to get the win.

It was again like last week a game of two halfís and we struggled in the second half.

Iím not sure what is going on with tactics but the expansive rugby from earlier in the season and try bonuses have dried up.

Everything is played of the number 10, which makes it so easy to defend against. There were single one off runners play after play and I counted at least 15 box kicks.

Today it was almost as if the tactics were to get ahead enough to have a decent gap then kick possession away and defend it out.

I understand the need to win and the team travel disruption would have caused problems, but when you have 3 tryís in the first half you should come away with all five points. To not score a single point in the second half was disappointing.

Irish gave us concerns at the death but the win was never in doubt after the first half performance. On to a tough game against a very strong Exeter side.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 20:51
In fairness, Irish literally threw the kitchen sink at us, particularly in the second half and looked like a team fighting to stay up. Whilst the last ten minutes did nothing for the nerves our defence was again very very good. Silly mistakes gave away our points through penalties but given their choices it was clear that for most of the match Irish didnít fancy themselves getting a try.
As an aside , in previous years we have watched the falcons struggle through a match, throw everything at a team in the last ten minutes and salvaging a LBP and us all going away wishing we had played like that for the full 80 minutes. Today I saw Irish do exactly that. Itís tough at the bottom and I get the feeling we all feel for the Irish supporters who deserve a better season.

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:01
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
In fairness, Irish literally threw the kitchen sink at us, particularly in the second half and looked like a team fighting to stay up. Whilst the last ten minutes did nothing for the nerves our defence was again very very good. Silly mistakes gave away our points through penalties but given their choices it was clear that for most of the match Irish didnít fancy themselves getting a try.
As an aside , in previous years we have watched the falcons struggle through a match, throw everything at a team in the last ten minutes and salvaging a LBP and us all going away wishing we had played like that for the full 80 minutes. Today I saw Irish do exactly that. Itís tough at the bottom and I get the feeling we all feel for the Irish supporters who deserve a better season.

Completely agree with the above.

My only concern is we seem to have lost a slight zip or spark to our game, Iím not sure how to pinpoint it. Iíve now watched the European fixture away at Dragons when we threw it around and looked like scoring every time the ball was in hand. Quins at home where we clung on for dear life and today vs Irish where we again in my opinion gave a 40 minute performance and ground out a win defensively.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:10
Always a tough one to judge as this year all the teams seem to be firing on all cylinders and have a point to prove. Our passes are very flat which does risk intercepts and it did look like we were a little slower out of the blocks today, but that was balanced by uncompromising defence. Irish played hard, probably deserved the LBP and we went away 5th in the table. Rather a nice place to be!
I think the big difference is that in previous years we would have capitulated and lost the game. Near wins feel a whole lot better than near losses and hopefully some rest over new year and with some of the injuries back we will regain the spring in our step

Osric (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:15
Fifth!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net