rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 24th February v Harlequins at The Stoop, 2.30pm

Saturday 3rd March v Gloucester at Kingsholm, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 29-12 Bath

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gary Graham
Bonus Point Rugby (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:31
Congratulations to Gary on his first call up to the England training squad!

Gary Graham trains with England
aidanb (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:32
Called into the England training squad

I bet his dad is delighted

Re: Gary Graham trains with England
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:01
Well done and congrats to Gary
Heís done this season
But what must Will and Mark be wondering

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:09
With Hughes out for the start of the six nations I assume graham is being looked at as cover for billy V, he offers a lot more go forward than welch and Wilson from the back of the scrum

Re: Gary Graham
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:30
Hughes & Vunipola play 8
Graham plays flanker
Doubt heís cover for those two

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:43
Great stuff well deserved. smiling smiley

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 14:43
Quote:
Falc Dancer
Hughes & Vunipola play 8
Graham plays flanker
Doubt heís cover for those two
My mistake confused him with burrows

Kath... (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 15:09
Brilliant News(Sm152)

pa8 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 16:22
Really pleased for him.....but itís left me scratching my head wondering what the hell Mark did wrong after having an outstanding tour to Argentina in the summer.

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 16:59
Mark Wilson has done nothing wrong IMHO but is behind Robshaw in the pecking order. Graham is included so the management can get a look at him to see if he fits the bill of what they're looking for.
Just because Wilson isn't in the squad doesn't mean he's become a bad player. EJ knows exactly what he can do and if Robshaw was to be injured, Wilson would come into serious contention, training camp or no training camp.

DB23 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 18:10
Pleased for Graham but this is perplexing to say the least.

Graham has shown some good form for us as an out and out seven but in relatively few games at the highest level in club rugby.

It does, however, disprove the notion that Eddie Jones does not consider players unless theyíre playing for one of the bigger clubs like Leicester or Wasps. He has clearly been watching Grahamís performances.

It probably also means Will Welch is not thought good enough to play for England given his Premiership experience and not sure where Mark Wilson stands currently in the pecking order though as a six rather than a seven. I still maintain seven would be Markís best position but probably too late to switch if looking for international recognition there.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 19:15
Congrats to Gary Graham and good news for the Falcons. He should get on well with Steve Borthwick, the England forwards coach and fellow Carlislian.

I fear Eddie J may be getting too comfortable in the plush surroundings of Twickers and stuck in a selection rut. Bath and Quins each provide 6 players for the squad whereas Wasps has only 2 selected and poor old Gloucester have no players selected at all.

Horus (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 19:34
My congrats to Gary on his call up. I am a bit puzzled why Gary, a Jock qualified player, should throw his lot with England. He is doubly qualified for Scotland - born in Scotland, Dad is former Scotland player.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 19:36
BT Sport panel for the Bath vs Wasps game are perplexed at his selection
I got the impression that they werenít sure who he was, more down to our lack of coverage than his ability

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 20:50
Perhaps suggests that Eddie is not overly 100 percent happy with his options at 7.

He may be Scotland through the ages, but with the greatest of respect to Scotland, from a player's perspective if he has the ability to go all the way he is more likely to win things with England in the professional era just due to resources and playing pool. That then means his personal endorsements may also be more lucrative.

Or it could be just that Scotland haven't come calling and England have... Perhaps his Dad and Gregor didn't see eye to eye? No doubt we will know sooner or later.

Certainly if England don't pick him, it'll ensure a Scotland cap offer comes quickly you would think!!!

Doonhamer (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:12
Quote:
aidanb

Aye and I bet his mum's reaction is unprintable. 🤣Thoroughly deserved though IMHO. He's taken his chance well to show how good he is.
He won't be the last of the Grahams either. There's potentially an even better one on the horizon.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:18
Quote:
Doonhamer
Quote:
aidanb

Aye and I bet his mum's reaction is unprintable. 🤣Thoroughly deserved though IMHO. He's taken his chance well to show how good he is.
He won't be the last of the Grahams either. There's potentially an even better one on the horizon.

As with every rugby player with siblings, thereís potentially a better one on the horizon. It doesnít always pan out that way though

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:56
Canít really blame Eddie for looking at players from a mid table team playing exciting rugby who beat a team full of England internationals last week.
He has always said that itís all about the World Cup in 2019. It makes absolute sense that he includes some wild cards that have potential for the rwc. I think mark is a known quantity now. Robust and solid so itís not surprising that he is taking the opportunity to flirt with others to see if they can rise to the rose😊. Well done Gary

aidanb (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:00
Talking of families and a little bit of competition amongst them.
As the cricket is on at he moment i hark back to Mark and Steve Waugh from Australia.

During a test in Australia in the 90ís James Ormond came into bat for England and was met with some sledging from Mark Waugh - about him not being good enough to be out here in a test cos he was crap.
James Ormonds reply to Mark was
ďYou can shut your face cos youíre not even the best cricketer in your family.!Ē Cue giggles from the whole of the Aussie team.

aidanb (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:01
And back to rugby
Who is the younger brother and is he at our club yet ?

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:23
I remember the Jersey fan that came on here when it was announced that we signed him. He said that he was his top pick of the players leaving for the Premiership last summer and thought he would become an international with us. I'm sure even he is surprised that he has become involved so quickly.

When I first heard that he was part of the training camp, I was initially surprised at his selection but ultimately I can see EJ logic. He is strong in all facets of the game but he always seems to be on the shoulder of the supporting the player who makes a break. That skill is difficult to teach and would suit Englands attacking game.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:15
Can someone confirm how he qualifies for England? Is it mother or grandparents?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:29
Lived in England most of his life.

aidanb (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 00:03
Quote:
markismith50

His mother will tell you

Horus (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 07:43
Gary played for Scotland U20 team. Change of heart/mind then

SK 88 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:59
Quote:
markismith50

Thanks for responding on the Tigers thread too, I'll keep it here for simplicity.

So are you saying he is only qualified on the new 10 year cumulative residency rule? I think he would be the first player to play international rugby with this new rule if he were selected?

Am I seriously the only one interested in how he qualifies for England? I can't find it in any of the on-line stories or other threads!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:53
Iíve no idea on his ancestry but he lived in Carlisle most of his life and talks in a thick Cumbrian accent

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:15
Quote:
markismith50
Iíve no idea on his ancestry but he lived in Carlisle most of his life and talks in a thick Cumbrian accent

To most people in Leicester that will make him Scottish.
(Sm100)

SK 88 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:49
Quote:
markismith50

Okay, all I'm saying is that it is an interesting story with much wider interest than just Falcons fans, particularly if he is the first player world wide to use the new regulation.

If only a reputable local journalist or club press officer read these threads. (Sm151)

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:51
Quote:
SK 88

If only a reputable local journalist or club press officer read these threads. (Sm151)
(Sm22)

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 13:53
Quote:
SK 88
Quote:
markismith50

Thanks for responding on the Tigers thread too, I'll keep it here for simplicity.

So are you saying he is only qualified on the new 10 year cumulative residency rule? I think he would be the first player to play international rugby with this new rule if he were selected?

Am I seriously the only one interested in how he qualifies for England? I can't find it in any of the on-line stories or other threads!

Thought that the new residency rules didnít come in until 2020 and it was going from 3-5 years not 10

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:34
We've been dealing with border flexibility up here for a couple of thousand years.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:48
Hang on Monkey you could go too far!!!

SK 88 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:23
Quote:
Benpj17
Quote:
SK 88
Quote:
markismith50

Thought that the new residency rules didnít come in until 2020 and it was going from 3-5 years not 10

So they made two changes.

You need 5 years of consecutive residency instead of 3 years. And you can also qualify if you have had 10 years of cumulative residency. There were a small number of mainly Spanish and American players who were e.g. born in England or SA moved to Spain or USA at 6, lived there until 18/19/20 then moved to England/France to play as a professional and lost their ability to play for their homeland. A player called Cameron Zeiss in the lower divisions in the this country lost his EQP status on a quirk like this and I think lost his job in the championship too.

The changes came in immediately, but the people who had already begun to accumulate residency before the change still only need 3 years. So from 2020 ONLY 5 year residency players will be available but in the meantime there are still some 3 year residency.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 20:08
I am getting a bit lost on this one & how it relates to Gary Graham. He has lived in England since he was a kid, that's more than three, more than five and more than ten years. I really don't see how any rule changes, dates, or other details are at all relevant.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:09
What happens if Scotland come calling too? Gary might have enjoyed his last family Christmas.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:42
Can anyone elaborate on this?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 22:06
Elaborate in what sense?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 08:01
Skip if that's at my post, until he his capped Scotland could well come calling too then he'd have to choose. The second was tongue in cheek with reference to his Dad being a Scottish legend.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 09:07
Bet Christmas was lively!

aidanb (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 09:27
A clue from The Guardian [www.theguardian.com]

Viewed in that context the selection of fit, hard-headed back-rowers such as the unheralded Graham, the son of the former Scotland prop George Graham, start to make more sense. ďHe has done really well at the camp,Ē Jones said. ďHe reminds me a bit of Chris Robshaw Ö he is not an out and out seven [but] he is a good tough boy, he has got a nice demeanour about him, heís hungry and very impressive.Ē Every other back-rower will sense the veiled warning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 10:51 by aidanb.

Osric (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:37
Interesting. Same could have been said of Mark W in Argentina

aidanb (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:40
Quote:
Osric
Interesting. Same could have been said of Mark W in Argentina

Obv Jones doesnít agree

03 January, 2018 12:43
Biased but Mark was my man of the match in the first test against Argentina. Can't remember him going anything wrong.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:31
Quote:
Monkey1
I am getting a bit lost on this one & how it relates to Gary Graham. He has lived in England since he was a kid, that's more than three, more than five and more than ten years. I really don't see how any rule changes, dates, or other details are at all relevant.

Right, but until this summer that wouldn't have mattered (unless he qualifies on ancestry).

He lived in Jersey last season (not in England), so without the new residency qualifications he wouldn't have qualified as previously all that mattered was the 3 years prior to your cap (again assuming no English mum or granny).

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:03
Doonhammer mentioned something on the first page of this thread, about another graham on the horizon. Just asking if anyone could she'd anymore light on that? Cheers

markismith50 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:29
He's lived pretty much all of his life in Carlisle, so you've got no worries on the residency front.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:16
Don't even understand why residency is being discussed. Surely it's not that difficult to understand if someone has lived in England nearly all their lives, even if born outside.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 11:13
I'm not disputing he is qualified, I'm interested if he qualifies on the new rule or on one of the old ones. It is not clear. He may be the first person to use the new rules. Which would be a neat bit of history for the player and your club to record for posterity.

Never mind, as no one can give a straight answer I'll try and find out somewhere else.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 11:23
SK, I don't get the impression anyone else on here shares your keen interest in the topic. He has lived in England pretty much all of his life, talks with an English accent and quite possibly qualifies through ancestry anyway (I genuinely don't know, and have felt no reason to ask).

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 11:31
In the clip I saw, Eddie said he was very pleased with Gary's performance and that's what counts for me. Good luck to the lad!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:38
I think I can sort of see where SK might be coming from. Jersey is technically not part of the UK, it is a British dependency, and not many people know that it isn't in the EU either, something I am reminded of whenever we send parcels there for work. It is however within the RFU territory, Jersey play in an English league, so I would imagine that for qualification purposes he has remained in England whether in Carlisle, Jersey or Newcastle.

Doonhamer (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 02:30
Quote:
skip mcskipper
Doonhammer mentioned something on the first page of this thread, about another graham on the horizon. Just asking if anyone could she'd anymore light on that? Cheers
Guy. He's 19 and moved to Hawick this season after coming through the youth system and playing a couple of seasons first team rugby with Carlisle. I believe he has made the Scotland u20s. Currently being coached by his Dad at Hawick and is definitely one to look out for if he fulfils his potential and stays injury free. Is a 6 and was a standout perfomer for us.

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:49
Quote:
Monkey1
I think I can sort of see where SK might be coming from. Jersey is technically not part of the UK, it is a British dependency, and not many people know that it isn't in the EU either, something I am reminded of whenever we send parcels there for work. It is however within the RFU territory, Jersey play in an English league, so I would imagine that for qualification purposes he has remained in England whether in Carlisle, Jersey or Newcastle.
Of course, in terms of International Rugby the Channel Islands count as all of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland - see Budge Poutney*, Matt Banahan etc; so living in Jersey for a couple of years will only have affected his residency qualification by increasing it (if he stayed for 3+ years), not reducing. Of course, that increase wouldn't count now, as he left Jersey and returned to England, so he'll have lost any qualification time for Wales / Ireland.

* IIRC Pooutney was fully English, with 3 English Grandparent and all his life lived in England; his SQP status came from a Channel Island Grandparent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 11:50 by Which Tyler.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 08:55
Just had a look at the England Senior Squad on the RFU website and noticed that Gary is now shown as a member [although no photo yet].

Does that mean he's likely to be in the England 6 Nations Squad?

aidanb (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 10:13
He's not in the Scotland squad so it look like his name is on the England mast

lizard118 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 10:47
It would look unethical behaviour if he's given England his word and then decide to change his mind. With the injuries England have in the back row I wouldn't be surprised to see both Graham and Wilson in the England contingent.

upwardonward (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 14:39
Well for what its worth IMO Will Welch is a more complete 7 than Graham. Obviously E J does not agree with me .
Why? Welch is very good in the line-out,has excellent hands,one the best tacklers in the Premiership and has a very good rugby brain and leadership skills.
Maybe he does not carry the ball and make the yards as Graham,but Welch brings more to the party but maybe its only me who holds these opinions.

Falcons are blessed,IMO, with one of the best,if not the best back row pairing in Wilson and Welch when fit .Graham compliments well.Would love to see Burrows compliment those guys on a more regular basis.

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 15:17
It's all about opinions, but from what I have seen and from reading between the lines, Graham has an edge to him that Welch doesn't have. Will is as game as they come and puts his head where it hurts, but Gary has a bit of dog about him that Eddie Jones seems to favour.

alas (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 15:23
Assuming Robshaw is a fixture in the back-row, Will Welch is probably too similar in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

16 January, 2018 19:23
Out of interest, when is the England squad announced?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 19:35
Thursday morning

16 January, 2018 19:36
Thanks Smithy.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 20:35
Quote:
alas
Assuming Robshaw is a fixture in the back-row, Will Welch is probably too similar in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

I would say Mark Wilson is more like Robshaw, I think Graham is more explosive.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 05:08
Graham has something about him for sure. The question is if he'll step up and thrive with playing with better players. For all of Welch's qualities, he's more of a workhorse type of player in the Robshaw mould (but not as good). I'm really surprised Wilson isn't getting a look in, he's already proved he's more than capable.

mannin (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 13:26
[www.skysports.com]

Gregor speaks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/01/2018 13:27 by mannin.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 15:37
An optimistic time to be a Scottish Rugby fan after all the fallow years- and a Scottish head coach too!

pa8 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 09:03
Gary named in the England 6 nations initial squad.

Kath... (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 09:09
Well done Garry(Sm152)
Squad

Backs

Full backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Nathan Earle (Saracens) *
Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints) *
Jonny May (Leicester Tigers)
Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)

Inside backs
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)
Alex Lozowski (Saracens)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Ben Teío (Worcester Warriors)
Marcus Smith (Harlequins) * **
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Forwards

Back five
Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons) *
Nick Isiekwe (Saracens)
Maro Itoje (Saracens)
George Kruis (Saracens)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby) *
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)

Front row
Lewis Boyce (Harlequins) *
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby) *
Jamie George (Saracens)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs) *
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)

Players unavailable
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Elliot Daly (Wasps)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
Piers Francis (Northampton Saints)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers)
James Haskell (Wasps)
Nathan Hughes (Wasps)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Matt Mullan (Wasps)
Beno Obano (Bath Rugby)
Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby)
Will Spencer (Worcester Warriors)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)

Uncapped *
Apprentice player **

18 January, 2018 09:34
I sure hope he gets game time and isn't just used as a filler. Feel sorry for Mark Wilson though - two outstanding games and that's it?

AndyPenman (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 10:13
Just goes to show that the RFU are exceedingly hypocritical, complaints about Wales and Scotland poaching players but then do the same themselves.

For the record I have no problems with the various RU's using current rules to bolster their squads by taking a player from under another countries nose but just don't try and take the moral high ground when you are as guilty as the rest.

For the record (2) In this case Scotland have themselves to blame a little bit as they don't appear to have been interested in GG since his U20 days so I don't blame him for choosing another country, just wish it hadn't been bloody England (Sm113)

limpopo (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 10:27
Quote:
AndyPenman
Just goes to show that the RFU are exceedingly hypocritical, complaints about Wales and Scotland poaching players but then do the same themselves.
For the record I have no problems with the various RU's using current rules to bolster their squads by taking a player from under another countries nose but just don't try and take the moral high ground when you are as guilty as the rest.

For the record (2) In this case Scotland have themselves to blame a little bit as they don't appear to have been interested in GG since his U20 days so I don't blame him for choosing another country, just wish it hadn't been bloody England (Sm113)

What a sad comment.

AndyPenman (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 10:29
Quote:
limpopo
Quote:
AndyPenman

What a sad comment.

What comment is sad??

limpopo (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 10:34
The anyone but England.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 10:35
Quote:
limpopo
Quote:
AndyPenman

What a sad comment.

Very sad.

AndyPenman (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 10:36
Quote:
limpopo
The anyone but England.

It was tongue in cheek, FFS

dick g (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 10:54
Problem is that tongue in cheek observations are very hard to translate into print. I tried and usually failed for most of my writing/working life.

limpopo (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 10:58
Quote:
AndyPenman
Quote:
limpopo
The anyone but England.

It was tongue in cheek, FFS

Oh yes ofcourse it was

18 January, 2018 12:37
Would Gary be available if he is not selected in the match day 23 or travelling reserve?

Doesn't matter either way as we are fairly well stocked in the back row. In his absence I hope we select 6) Wilson, 7) Welch and 8) Burrows.

Any news on when Chick is back?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 13:00
Really good news for him but sad that Mark Wilson didn't get in. smiling smiley

markismith50 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 13:37
Chicky is involved on Saturday, NF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2018 13:38 by markismith50.

18 January, 2018 14:23
Im at a loss why Mark Wilson isn't about...especially with so many injuries. I just don't get it.

As to Gary Graham...it was obvious he was going to be selected when he WASNT in the Scotland squad. He's been a class signing for us...and I suspect is exactly what Jones is looking for.

My only concern for him, is that when all the injuries start fixing themselves...will he be dumped like Mark Wilson and left to rue what could have been a potentially long term career in the Scotland squad.

18 January, 2018 14:23
Quote:
markismith50

Great news Mark, he seems to have been absent for a while now.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 14:28
Absent since wasps away in november

upwardonward (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 14:59
Just like to say Congratulations and Good Luck Gary.
Any Falcon that gets recognition at full international level but especially for England,is great for the Club.
Lets hope he fairs better than Mark and gets more than his 5 mins of fame to show EJ,that there are good English players around outside of the more favoured clubs.

aidanb (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 16:00
Now you see upwardonward. The Horseí selection is especially down to the fact EJ is looking at all of the clubs and not just the favoured few.

If he wasnít looking at all of the clubs and in some of the other competitions then he would have seen The Horse

18 January, 2018 16:09
To be fair...to the "favoured few" myth...aside from Mark Wilson...who in our squad over the last 6-7-8 years actually warranted a call up! Not one!
The bottom line is that we simply weren't good enough.

Thanks to Dean and the coaches we are producing players once again who are approaching the level required and are now getting recognition.

I still find it hard to work out what else Mark Wilson has to do though to make the squad!

18 January, 2018 16:46
"My only concern for him, is that when all the injuries start fixing themselves...will he be dumped like Mark Wilson and left to rue what could have been a potentially long term career in the Scotland squad." I think a few share that concern - I certainly do!

alas (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 17:24
Back-row (and scrum-half) is a position where it is often just as hard to get into the Scottish side than England. Good to hear Chick is fit again.

18 January, 2018 17:54
Quote:
markismith50

Fantastic timing! Thanks Smithy.

Getitright (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 19:30
Youíve got to assume with his Dadís pedigree that theyíve weighed up the best option. However if his old man left Scotland with some negatives, who knows.
The smart option is Scotland in my humble opinion because once the commitment is made bridges are burnt.
If I was EJ Iíd put him on the bench v Italy, bring him on as a sub and then we neednít debate anymore

Sad really!

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 19:49
Has anyone thought thatís itís as simple as this.....he wants to play for England and has made the choice, end of story?

Canít we just be happy for him instead of consigning him to the international scrap heap before the first game has even been played. Heís a big boy, heís made his decision, good luck to him.

Getitright (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 19:52
When I wrote my last post I hadnít realised Gary was in the final squad for Italy.
Itís great for him but very early in his career having only established himself in the Falcons starting 15 recently.
Time will tell whether it will work out to his advantage. Big decisions all round

Getitright (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 19:57
Fair point exiled falcon.

18 January, 2018 20:49
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Has anyone thought thatís itís as simple as this.....he wants to play for England and has made the choice, end of story?
Canít we just be happy for him instead of consigning him to the international scrap heap before the first game has even been played. Heís a big boy, heís made his decision, good luck to him.

We're all delighted for him...have no doubt in that.

We're all just very aware of how fickle Eddie Jones can be....

Kingston Parker (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 21:46
Will we get big English Qualified Player payment if he plays? Yesterday's Telegraph quoted a payment to Gloucester if Vellacott selected of between £120k and £200k. Would help furnish the North Stand?

jokboy (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 23:20
Best of luck to Gary if does make the bench or more I have been really impressed by his performance so far just hope we can tie him to a long term contract as I believe he only signed a one year contract initially and a lot of teams will be looking at him now

mannin (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 11:28
Paul Gustard seems to like him a lot.

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 19:53
Gary has been retained in the 32 man squad for the 6 nations

[www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net