rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 20th January v Enisei-STM at Avchala Stadium (Tbilisi), 10.00am UK time

Saturday 27th January v Bath Rugby at The Recreation Ground, 3.00pm (AW Cup)

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 64-7 Enisei-STM

Contract Status for Next Season
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:14
As it's now 1st January and players are officially allowed to speak with other teams, I'm trying to ascertain who is contracted for next season. I'm only aware that Welch, Wilson and Takulua are definitely contracted for next season. The squad list as per the thread at the top of the forum also suggests that Welsh, Hogg and Young are also contracted for next season. Is this definitely true? I'm sure that the majority of the players have undisclosed contract lengths so I expect far more players to be signed up for next season.

Those senior players with question marks are as follows:

Jake Ilnicki
Bobby Vickers
Sami Mavinga
Dave Wilson
Sam Lockwood
Trevor Davison
Kyle Cooper
Ben Sowery
Santi Socino
Tevita Cavubati
Evan Olmstead
Calum Green
Andrew Davidson
Will Witty
Harrison Orr
Nick Civetta
Gary Graham
Ryan Burrows
Callum Chick
Sam Stuart
Toby Flood
Joel Hodgson
Joel Matavesi
Dom Waldouck
Maxine Mermoz
Josh Matavesi
Chris Harris
Tom Penny
Sinoti x2
Niki Goneva
Beli Agulla
Zach Kibirige
DTH Van Der Merve
Alex Tait
Simon Hammersley

Those senior players who's contracts appear to be expiring this summer are as follows:

Scott Wilson
Scott Lawson
Sean Robinson
Nili Latu
Simon Uzokwe
Craig Willis
Juan Pablo Socino
Simon Hammersley

Anyone know if any of these are definitely contracted for next season and potentially beyond? I have not doubt that the club are in discussions or already have agreements with some of the players already.

Re: Contract Status for Next Season
Osric (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 09:44
Points in the bag this season means this should be an easier task than in previous years. I imagine we'll hear very little until deals are done as, quite rightl, these negotiations are best carried out in private. I hope we can keep Niki G fir another season ( or two).

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:50
Dom Waldouck? He is still with us? Thought he went ages ago.

I think most of the current squad will be re-signed where possible aside from A few who have ?? about them

Jake Ilnicki - Unsure
Sami Mavinga - Hasn't set the world on fire like I thought he would
Dave Wilson - Looks knackered and done
Tevita Cavubati - Has he even played 1 game for us?
Evan Olmstead - Has seemingly disappeared bar last weekend
Andrew Davidson - Disappeared completely
Harrison Orr - Very lightly used
Nick Civetta - Not rated
Dom Waldouck - Thought he'd already gone

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:42
Dom was re-signed as cover whilst doing a degree so I don't expect him to stay beyond this season.

Only players that I have seen linked with moves away are Santi Socino (Leicester) and Niki Goneva (Bordeaux). I hope we can keep both.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:13
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I think most of the current squad will be re-signed where possible aside from A few who have ?? about them

Jake Ilnicki - Unsure
Nick Civetta - Not rated

Mavinga might stay as cover, and Davidson because he's young, but I'd expect all the rest on that list to leave if they're out of contract.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:32
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Jake Ilnicki - Unsure
Nick Civetta - Not rated

I can't see many of these players staying maybe Mavinga for cover and Davidson, depending on who we sign also. smiling smiley

alas (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:35
Don't think it is impossible for Waldouck to stay on if he impresses in the rest of the season as all the other centres are non-EQP or have little first team experience.

03 January, 2018 14:54
Good point on the EQ centres - Stevenson and Penny are the only two I can think of and are inexperienced. Flood can play 12 if we're desperate for EQ centres.

However im not sure that'll be a problem as we have strong EQ options all over the rest of the team.

03 January, 2018 15:09
Why did Olmstead seemingly fall out of favour so quickly? Has he been injured?
He was playing great rugby then just disappeared.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:24
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Why did Olmstead seemingly fall out of favour so quickly? Has he been injured?
He was playing great rugby then just disappeared.

We got Goneva in on the wing - pushed him out [:wor kid:]

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:57
Definitely want to keep Goneva. Santo Socino would also be a bonus, but Goneva worth his weight.

04 January, 2018 13:02
We have to try and keep Santi Socino. Especially with Lawson starting to wane.
Rumours hes being hunted by Tigers...well I'd just say look at the last two who went there...Brookes and Mcguigan. Ie Don't bother! Stay here!

Goneva has been a top class signing.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:50
Not sure socino would go to tigers now they have Polota Nau (sp?). I would swap him for Harry Thacker, mind you. He'd be something on our fast track and the tigers don't seem to want to give him game time.

I would be looking at bringing in someone like Campagnaro or Devoto, who have been injured but don't seem to be getting that much rugby down at the chiefs.

Front row and back three the priorities, particularly if niki goes. DON'T GO NIKI!

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:55
Campagnaro is a great talent when he isn't injured I don't think Exeter will let him go, Devoto just seems not to be getting into the Exeter team I believe, what kind of isn't surprising as they are doing well with the players they have got. I think for next season we should be looking to add in the front row. smiling smiley

04 January, 2018 15:19
Thacker would be good on our playing surface. Really hope we hang onto Mr. Goneva

Osric (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 16:52
And Mr Richards

17Roundabouts (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 18:44
Quote:
Osric
And Mr Richards

I echo that Osric and would like to see Dean sign a long term contract similar to what Dai Young did today,as Dean has done a great job and would hate to see him leave,especially with some of our crown jewels...Willis ,Radwan ,Dawson ect

[www.bbc.co.uk]

05 January, 2018 08:22
[quote 17Roundabouts][quote Osric]And Mr Richards[/quote]

I echo that Osric and would like to see Dean sign a long term contract similar to what Dai Young did today,as Dean has done a great job and would hate to see him leave,especially with some of our crown jewels...Willis ,Radwan ,Dawson ect
Agreed 100%

chiefkicker1 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 15:01
Heard through the rumour mill that both Sinoti and Goneva will be away at the end of the season, with Sinoti heading to Bristol. If true, a massive blow to the squad - but hopefully just rumours are Deano can tie them down for another season or two.

05 January, 2018 17:26
Well i'd genuinely hate to see Goneva and Sinotti go...but Dean brought them in and I have full faith he will know already if they are going and is already scouring the planet to replace them.

I have full faith he can find very suitable replacements...

Dont forget Radwan is coming through like a steamtrain aswell (yes he's a different type of winger not a powerhouse) and i still have faith that Kibirige can come good (maybe thats misplaced now)

markismith50 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 17:49
Oh how I do love a good unsubstantiated rumour posted on here. A little pinch of salt should be taken when hearing this stuff, and please do think carefully before sharing information you cannot personally verify. It spreads like wildfire, often without foundation.

For the record we are well on with contract extensions. Some are signed, some are in negotiation, and we will start announcing over the next few months.

05 January, 2018 18:27
We love a good bit of banter on here smithy ha ha

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 18:34
To be honest, I think the squad could be thinned out a little and a couple of top quality props signed. We a fairly large group currently with many not getting anywhere near the first team.

We could do with at least one TH and LH (Argentinian, Georgian, French....?) of good quality to supplement what we already have. Stop signing these stop gap options and stay away from Irish props! Have we ever had a good one??

Kingkiko2 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 18:38
Popplewell

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 18:42
That's going back a bit King....but well remembered!

alas (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 20:11
Not wanting to sound too much like Rob Andrew, but have we ever had a successful French player?

aidanb (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 20:25
Well Mark

This is an unofficial fan site so you are going to have to live with the fact that some will pop up once in a while and try and help an agent or two out.

But also let’s face it rumours like this can have no bearing on the actual going’s on.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 20:43
Absolutely Aidan, I’m not naive enough to think folk won’t gossip. All I’m asking is for people to take a moment and think before spreading unsubstantiated hearsay. I do realise it will happen and as an ex-journo I do appreciate the irony of this!

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 21:48
Quote:
chiefkicker1
Heard through the rumour mill that both Sinoti and Goneva will be away at the end of the season, with Sinoti heading to Bristol. If true, a massive blow to the squad - but hopefully just rumours are Deano can tie them down for another season or two.

I agree it would be sad to loose Sinoti. On his day he’s electric and can rip apart defences. I do however get frustrated with him as how can you play off a winger like Sinoti if you don’t know what he’s going to do? He’s also had a few major injuries and wing is an area I think we have a lot of cover in.

I would be more concerned if we lost Goneva he’s an utter machine and would be a huge loss.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 23:10
Agreed could lose Sinoti but Goneva would be a huge loss. Would like to see Radwan get some Premiership game time and a necessity if either of these leave. That said losing either would leave funds for a decent replacement.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 09:46
Adam Radwan is in the rugby world magazine as one of the rising stars sectin.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 10:24
Likewise, Charlie Wilson was the ‘young gun’ in this week’s Rugby Paper.

Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 21:56
Sincerely hope that the Goneva/Sinoti rumour is no true

pityacker (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 22:14
After a few long and serious injuries I feared Sinoti would never get back to his best and his performances were well below what we expect from him with bandages strapping up where he had been injured however now no strapping and for a while he has been getting better and better and today was at his sensational best and I hope Semore has his signature for the next few years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net