rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 17 August v Leinster Rugby at Energia Park, 7.00pm

Friday 24 August v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 47-26 Nottingham Rugby

Team vs Chiefs
alas (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 11:55
Hope we're to going to box-kick the ball to their back three.

Newcastle Falcons team to face Exeter Chiefs (Sunday, 3pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Vereniki Goneva

13 Chris Harris

12 Josh Matavesi

11 Sinoti Sinoti

10 Toby Flood

9 Michael Young

1 Rob Vickers

2 Kyle Cooper

3 Jon Welsh

4 Calum Green

5 Sean Robinson

6 Will Welch (captain)

7 Gary Graham

8 Mark Wilson

Replacements

16 Scott Lawson

17 Sam Lockwood

18 Scott Wilson

19 Evan Olmstead

20 Nili Latu

21 Sonatane Takulua

22 Joel Hodgson

23 Juan Pablo Socino

CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE NEWCASTLE FALCONS

15 Lachie Turner
14 James Short
13 Ian Whitten
12 Sam Hill
11 Olly Woodburn
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Nic White
1 Alec Hepburn
2 Jack Yeandle (capt)
3 Tomas Francis
4 Mitch Lees
5 Ollie Atkins
6 Dave Ewers
7 Matt Kvesic
8 Sam Simmonds

16 Elvis Taione
17 Carl Rimmer
18 Greg Holmes
19 Toby Salmon
20 Thomas Waldrom
21 Will Chudley
22 Henry Slade
23 Phil Dollman

Referee: Andrew Jackson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 11:59 by alas.

Re: Team vs Chiefs
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 12:43
Looks a strong side and I like the look of the bench. I have to admit that I'm surprised that Takelua doesn't start as I doubt he will play in any of the cup games coming up. The wingers will need to help out competing at the kick chase.

Great that Sinoti is back quickly! He has performed well against Chiefs in the past and I think this is a game we could see the best out of Matavesi.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 12:49
Only surprise is Takalua on the bench. The I ncentive is there for Young to have a good game. I donít hold much hope for the gane. Exeter are a top team that we tend to struggle against home & away

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 12:54
I certainly don't expect a win, I'd take a LBP right now.

Exeter are a top side. They'll be dominant in the scrum. Hepburn is a fantastic player for them, has the same impact as Cooper does for us in the front row.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 13:12
It's going to be a tough match for us, can't see us getting to much out of this but who knows. smiling smiley

dick g (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 13:27
WWW!

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 14:24
I think Takelua is there as an impact sub - Mickey Ward is no slouch tackling big forwards which we know Exe will send round the corner

toontyke (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 15:22
Mickey Ward [u][/u]am glad he is playing

lizard118 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 15:26
Good team, good match-up, bar Takalua starting. I don't see why we can't get a positive result. I think Exeter will be wary of our offensive game too. With us being the home side I see us giving it a real go, although Exeter are rightly the most formidable team in the AP at the moment.
Some interesting duels in that midfield. Exeter with some big boys with Whitten and Hill both of whom are test level centres.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 15:27
Got him out of retirement!! Micky Young (Sm8)

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 17:19
That's an impressive Exeter back row.

Ewers is a man mountain at 6, Simmonds is a very good strike runner and Kvesic is a breakdown king.
Mark, Will and Gary are going to have to be on their game.

I don't get the Young call. Why one earth start him in this game??

pityacker (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 17:31
Whenever Young is fit management seem to lean towards him ive noticed over Takulua , why Im as baffled as everyone else.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 18:27
Quote:
lizard118
Good team, good match-up, bar Takalua starting. I don't see why we can't get a positive result. I think Exeter will be wary of our offensive game too. With us being the home side I see us giving it a real go, although Exeter are rightly the most formidable team in the AP at the moment.
Some interesting duels in that midfield. Exeter with some big boys with Whitten and Hill both of whom are test level centres.

Hardly....Hill has never been capped and Whitten has 2 caps for Ireland, the last in 2009.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 18:28
Almost our best available squad but,like others, I'm baffled what they see in Michael Young. I hope we plan on playing attacking rather than safety first football.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 18:35
We're not going to beat Exeter with box kicks. Lets really go for it from the off, nobody is really expecting anything from the game.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 09:10
How are ticket sales going for this one?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 09:13
Tickets still available from the stadium, Skip

lizard118 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 12:13
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Quote:
lizard118

Hardly....Hill has never been capped and Whitten has 2 caps for Ireland, the last in 2009.
My comment is an opinion , and I said test level centres. I didn't say they have played test rugby, but I rate both at that level, and I'm sure both could easily play at that level. In the end these things are just about opinions.
I hope that clarifies things for you.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 14:19
Quote:
lizard118
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Quote:
lizard118

My comment is an opinion , and I said test level centres. I didn't say they have played test rugby, but I rate both at that level, and I'm sure both could easily play at that level. In the end these things are just about opinions.
I hope that clarifies things for you.

No dramas Lizard, everybody is entitled to an opinion. I was just pointing out they're clearly not test level centres and backed this up with some evidence to show this. If you think they are, good for you.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 15:48
What a first half!!

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 15:50
Hopefully we can continue this great performance in the second half. smiling smiley

Falconski (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 16:48
Good game the referee should of gone to Specsavers mind jaysus.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 16:51
What a game!

That was not good for my nerves! Amazing in the first half and heroic display in the 2nd. Scrum was awful as normal but we somehow managed to hang on.

Our very own test level centres made the Exeter combo look very ordinary.

fatheralice (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:22
re-posted on the other thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 17:24 by fatheralice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net