rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Season over.

Last result: Exeter Chiefs 36-5 Newcastle Falcons

Are we really that bad?
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 10:13
It seems that every time we beat another team, and happily for us it happens quite a lot these days, it is nothing to do with our motley crew playing well, it is always down the the opposition being unusually below par.

We just beat Exeter, the league champions, and are the first team to deny them even one point from a game for about a thousand years. Don't get carried away however, it was nothing to do with our good work, apparently it was because Rob Baxter had rested ten, yes you read that right TEN of his best players, ahead of a more important cup game.

We beat Quins, wooohooo! Oh but hang on, that was because they were suffering a bit of an injury crisis, so don't get too carried away.

That seems to be a recurring theme. Whenever we are so inconsiderate as to win, the opposition supporters, well to be fair it is usually just a couple, can't accept that we might actually be a half decent team these days.

Maybe we could start a contest amongst ourselves. When we win, the first person to spot an opposition supporter claiming it is because they played badly, had injuries, the whole team had flu, or any similar excuse, and claim it for themselves, gets a point. See who has the most points by the end of the season.

Re: Are we really that bad?
lizard118 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 10:24
Let them be, we'll continue taking teams apart and win games nobody expects us to win. What matters are the things we do. We all know we're a good outfit now and on our day can beat anyone now.
At this rate I will be disappointed if we're not in the champions cup next year. We're that good. Add a few seasoned props we should be quite competitive next year. Such a sweet time to be a Falcons fan!

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 10:30
To be fair, whenever I've seen those types of posts on the other boards, I've also seen oppo fans recognising that we are now a tough team to play against, especially at KP.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 10:30
I think you're been a little sensitive.

There are always these types of posters were they blame everything but their own side. Falcons are still seen as a bottom club by most and it's going to take a few years to get that out of the mindset of the fans of some of the bigger sides.

For every fan that has this attitude, they'll be 5 fans who say we just played better.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 10:53
You have a very valid point Monkey and i am sure you will have seen my post after Sundays game in response to some of the Chiefs fans comments of players missing,them under performing etc etc.

Although it is a little frustrating i am one who would rather listen to the comments of those that really have the knowledge of what they are talking about....like Rob Baxter after the game where he said that it was not how they had played that lost them the game but how well Newcastle played (or something similar) a simple admission that on the day they were just beaten by the better side...it happens!

falconbear (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 11:25
Itís naive for visiting fans to think that itís just 15 versus 15. Iíve just heard a comment from Jim Hamilton saying that KP is the toughest stadium to play at in the Prem. So itís a tough place to visit even without our excellent team. Brilliant. I love that. And itís only going to get tougher as our players get even better and our fans get even louder (can you imagine the combined noise of the new north stand and the south).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 11:28 by falconbear.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 12:31
I have heard that somebody, a player or DoR, recently described KP as the loudest ground in the prem, and quite a daunting place to visit. I would love to think that to be true.

Apparently it is not just us. A quick look at the Glos board reveals that Saints are rubbish too, and the reason that they won this weekend is not down to anything Saints did, apparently it was caused by an overnight stomach bug in the Glos camp.
(Sm22)

As mentioned above, it is only a tiny few who make such comments, the majority of oppo supporters take the hit & wish us well. It is just a bit of amusement.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 13:21
What is noticeable is that Falcons now have a squad now with some depth - Other teams may have a first 15 and then the 'reserves', so a few hiccups like injuries, international call ups, plus a measure of player rotation sends them off kilter. That is their choice!

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 14:06
If other people want to underestimate us -good! Mr. Baxter was magnanimous in defeat and to be fair so were a number of the Exeter fans.

Our "job"! I suppose as supporters to make the place as loud and as daunting for the opposition as possible without going over the top. I thought the Quins and Exeter atmosphere was tremendous and if it helps the guys on the pitch all the better

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 15:26
In the 8/9 years i have been going to KP the Chiefs game on Sunday had the best atmosphere i have experienced at KP.

The noise levels throughout the game were fantastic but the last 10 minutes when the lads really needed us it was awesome.

The roar when Joel won that turnover in our 22 and then when Mark Wilson won the final penalty to seal the deal was just fantastic....!!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 15:54
Totally agree Wensleydale, that was genuinely the best Iíve ever heard KP and the players commented on it after the game, such great support.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 16:35
I think youíre exactly right monkey and this has briefly been touched upon on other posts. Teams seem disgusted with themselves that they have lost to us. The loss made worse by the fact that it was to the falcons yet the description of our team in the summing up on channel 5 rugby highlights was Ďfantasticí . Indeed the view is that Sinotti on form could easily be in any European teams first XV.
I think at the moment we are performing above a level that we have a right to perform at given crowd sizes, lack of sponsorship on our away shirt etc. Then you have the likes of Leicester and Northampton who are underperforming this season. Bottom line is that on a good day we are a Challenge for any team in the Premiership, without exception. More importantly we play exciting, albeit at times frustrating rugby. One of the key strengths though seems to be our defence. Consistently hard hitting, very few first tackles missed and relentless. You can see the effect when the big clubs opt to kick three when previously they would have gone for the corner and fancied their chances.
We have beat The Champions and over turned our loss earlier this season in Exeter, but we arenít going to win the league. But what we are going to do is mix up the table a bit. Clubs like the Leicesterís, Harlequinns, Northampton Saints and Sale who have traditionally been fighting it out between themselves mid table gave a new kid on the block and the fact that this is leaving some of them in the bottom half of the table seems to have their fans and managers a tad on edge.
The premiership has changed, for the better. Saracens are not dominant, there is no weak team at the bottom as both Irish and Worcester are both playing good rugby and simply not getting the points they need. No one is unbeatable and the middle of the table is an absolute free for all.
Here at Kingston Park , we have a good team trying to develop the club off the field, the team playing great rugby on the pitch and international recognition rightly being awarded to some of the best with the old rule of thumb that no one north of Leicester gets picked for England out of the window.
And to crown it all we have green and white hoops on one of our kits!!!

aidanb (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 16:36
Quote:
trummy200
What is noticeable is that Falcons now have a squad now with some depth - Other teams may have a first 15 and then the 'reserves', so a few hiccups like injuries, international call ups, plus a measure of player rotation sends them off kilter. That is their choice!

I love having Olmstead on the bench cos he covers so many positions

He's a cracking second row and no doubt can cover back row as well, but more importantly hes a cracking third winger

pa8 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 16:57
Well, as far as wingers go, I wouldnít swap Niki Goneva for any other winger in the premiership. His defence is A1 and is awesome with ball in (one) hand. For a guy in his lower mid 30ís his pace is still there, the long chase where he caught Lewington at our place evidenced that. And Lewington has the reputation of being one of the quicker wingers. I hope we can re-sign Niki.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 20:43
I also thing youíre being a tad over sensitive Monkey, thereís been a heck of a lot of positive things said about us on other forums, and I think itís very touching how many people not only say nice things about us but also welcome our return from years in the wilderness. I thought the Exeter fans were pretty magnanimous to be fair. David Flatman for one has been raving about us in the media which has been terrific.

Youíre right in some ways however in that in most sports, a top notch team is rarely outplayed when they lose, it is generally because they have been rubbish rather than the oppo been good.

What really matters is what we think, and I donít think anyone would disagree it is a great time to be a Falcon the the feel good factor of 15 or so years ago has returned by the spadeful.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 22:26
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
I also thing youíre being a tad over sensitive Monkey....

Trust me, I'm not being sensitive. I have no idea where you get that idea from, it is just a bit of fun.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 08:18
I can understand why the reaction of some of the fans from the supposed bigger clubs (who have enjoyed success recently or historically) sometimes get upset or angry by not beating us. In recent history we have been a team scrapping to avoid relegation and therefore games against us were seen as a 'dead rubber' for those teams.

I love supporting the Falcons. The underdog who are punching above their weight. We are the Rocky of the Premiership.

dick g (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 08:45
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
I also thing youíre being a tad over sensitive Monkey, thereís been a heck of a lot of positive things said about us on other forums, and I think itís very touching how many people not only say nice things about us but also welcome our return from years in the wilderness. I thought the Exeter fans were pretty magnanimous to be fair. David Flatman for one has been raving about us in the media which has been terrific.
Youíre right in some ways however in that in most sports, a top notch team is rarely outplayed when they lose, it is generally because they have been rubbish rather than the oppo been good.

What really matters is what we think, and I donít think anyone would disagree it is a great time to be a Falcon the the feel good factor of 15 or so years ago has returned by the spadeful.

Good sides lose when they are not allowed to be as good as they normally are. This is what happened with Chiefs. Especially in the first half, we out-thought and out-fought them.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 10:13
Let's just enjoy ladies and gentlemen. What others think doesn't matter.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 10:20
The problem for some is that they go with expectation whilst others go with hope!

dick g (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 10:32
Quote:
trummy200
The problem for some is that they go with expectation whilst others go with hope!

Or with dread.

Brave new world (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 13:51
I said on here after your visit to Sandy Park that you looked the real deal this year and at the weekend you proved me right. Your defence is right up there with the best. It would be a brave man that bets against you making top 4 as long as your squad stays fit.

aidanb (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 14:27
Our defence was the reason we won that game.

Not just in the second half but for the whole game.

Yes I know the tries won it but the defence was how we held on to the points difference.

silicaballerina (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 14:56
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
Indeed the view is that Sinotti on form could easily be in any European teams first XV.

I'm glad you have put me right, and I am sure that what Flats meant, especially following on from his glowing praise,
but I'm sure what he said was
"Sinotti or Goneva would score tries on the wing of any European first XV"
which I interpreted as ...
they would score no matter what! (dross they were playing with)
I was more than a little annoyed at that.

COYF

trummy200 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 17:17
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
trummy200

Or with dread.

I like that!

Greggs (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 18:52
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
In the 8/9 years i have been going to KP the Chiefs game on Sunday had the best atmosphere i have experienced at KP.
The noise levels throughout the game were fantastic but the last 10 minutes when the lads really needed us it was awesome.

The roar when Joel won that turnover in our 22 and then when Mark Wilson won the final penalty to seal the deal was just fantastic....!!

When Joel won that turnover I went absolutely ballistic. Embarrassingly so. To the extent that people around me started looking at me a bit funny.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 19:04
Quote:
Greggs
When Joel won that turnover I went absolutely ballistic. Embarrassingly so. To the extent that people around me started looking at me a bit funny.

Aye, I was one of them, and even after a few days I'm still not too sure about you. I think you need to tell your doctor about it.
(Sm105)

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 20:20
Yes Sinoti and Goneva could score tries on the wing of any top level European team. However, as any winger knows you can be the world's best winger but if the team around you are rubbish then you won't score at all.

To me the only conclusion I can reach is that they are currently being supported by a team that is at the level of the top of Europe, allowing them to showcase their talents.

Anyone who knows rugby, knows that.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 22:45
I agree with your OP Monkey. I actually felt like that after the Quins game. Apparently a win was guaranteed for Quins if you'd read all their threads.

I think it comes down to the fact we've been poor for such a long time, and most fans associate us with that and an easy win, rather than the last 3-4 years where we have progressed massively into a good, physical (if at times inconsistent) mid table side who are difficult to beat. But the fact Dean has done this by rebuilding the foundations, and structure of the whole playing side hopefully means this is not just a quick fix flash in the pan thing. There are still areas to work on, but that will come as well (Eg Ill leave the scrum debate on the other thread)

Add in the calibre of players we are attracting, the fact we are keeping hold of talented academy players now suggest things will continue to improve.

Dean, Mr Kurdi and the coaching team deserve a MASSIVE amount of praise for the work they have done.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 08:35
"Dean, Mr Kurdi and the coaching team deserve a MASSIVE amount of praise for the work they have done." This +1

Getitright (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 19:36
Agree. A very level headed and progressive approach is paying dividends. Well done indeed

dick g (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:12
Hogan's Heroes?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net