rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 17 August v Leinster Rugby at Energia Park, 7.00pm

Friday 24 August v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 47-26 Nottingham Rugby

New / re-signings of Players
Davidten31 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 17:09
I appreciate we are only half way through the season, but most of the other clubs have already made announcements regarding existing players re-signing contracts or signing new players for next season. Is anyone else a little concerned we haven't announced anyone yet and do you think it has anything to do with the uncertainty of Dean Richards signing a new contract.

Re: New / re-signings of Players
telfs123 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 18:00
Smithy said a few days ago some are already signed, some in the process. I imagine club are waiting for close to season ticket renewal time to announce.

And on the same subject, Rugby InsideLine reports on Twitter that Goneva is re-signing with us.

jokboy (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 18:33
Davidten31 I am in agreement with you as the only rumours at the minute seem to be about Deano leaving the quicker that is put to bed the better but it's only halfway through a successful season so I am not panicking as yet.Deano would be our biggest signing once he signed then hopefully the rest would fall in place if the Goneva rumours above is true then it would seem the boss would be stopping too I think most things would be announced again around seasonal ticket renewal time

falconbear (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 19:00
It would be very sad to see Goneva or Richards leave but so long as Semore Kurdi doesnt leave everyone else is replacable. What that man has done for north east rugby is priceless.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 19:09
Agreed. Semore is the glue that holds a lot of good things together at our beloved club. Top bloke.

As for other signings news, some clubs just blurt it out, others don't. We generally have a rash of news around season ticket time, although this year they could probably make it compulsory to be birched then thrown in an ice bath before renewing your season ticket, and we would still do it.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 19:12
I do hope Goneva does stay, it will be interesting to see who we sign also. smiling smiley

dick g (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 20:12
Quote:
Monkey1
Agreed. Semore is the glue that holds a lot of good things together at our beloved club. Top bloke.
As for other signings news, some clubs just blurt it out, others don't. We generally have a rash of news around season ticket time, although this year they could probably make it compulsory to be birched then thrown in an ice bath before renewing your season ticket, and we would still do it.

And might even enjoy it!

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 20:24
We're a broad church.....

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 20:49
Deano is the key re-signing. He oversees everything, Goneva is 1 (very important) player in a 23 man team.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 21:00
I agree with the above comments apart from the birching !!!! Deano is key and is a must signing. I'm also hoping the rumours about Goneva are true he's had a great season so far.

aidanb (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 22:51
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
Monkey1

And might even enjoy it!

Some people of a certain age - older than me - might have had a regular birching at school.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:02
If we can keep the majority of the current squad, minus a few of the players outside the 1st team radar, then I dont think we need many new players. The squad is looking pretty good to me.

Dean is great at signing under the radar players. Players like Takulua, Gary Graham, Sinotti etc - players who are not household names yet come in and become top players.

Add in a few more academy lads coming through...we're in good shape.

aidanb (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:32
You need new match day squad players each year in order not to stand still.

You will lose 1 or 2 most years to age / injury and thus itís important to keep going forward and replace those moving out.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 05:59
Taking a quick look at the squad, I think we could afford to lose the following depending on their contract status of course:

Jake Inicki
Bobby Vickers
Davy Wilson
Adam Brocklebank (A)
Trevor Davison (A)
Tevita Cavubati
Harrison Orr
Nick Civetta
Ally Hogg
Dom Waldouck
Fred Burdon

With us looking at bring in:

2 x TH (1 x AP class, 1 x youngster?)
2 x LH (1 x Int level, 1 x AP class)
1 x Lock (Backup/youngster)
1 x backrow (backup)
1 x centre (backup)

I think the bulk of the cash (no idea of salaries etc so this all completely hypothetical) could be spent on the props. I hope we have scouts in Argentina/Eastern Europe/France...

Kingkiko2 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 07:33
Is Burdon still here?

alas (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 07:47
I don't think he is. Brocklebank and Davison are young and presumably not expensive. We needed back up props earlier in the season. They have potential to improve. I'd be surprised if Cavubati only signed a one year contract. He might be needed if Green ever got injured or lost form. Not sure Agulla is necessary as he's not a starter and we have younger homegrown centres and wingers.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
No, Fred is not with us.

pa8 (IP Logged)
Did he not go back to Leeds/
Yorks Carnegie ?

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 08:06
Ah ok, maybe we could just plump for 2 good quality props, 1 for each side? Mavinga is still young too, I'd like to see more of him really. I really like Lockwood too, he's a real lump, just hope he can stay fit.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 08:41
Quote:
Monkey1
Do you think the club might offer this if you renew early?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 08:57
Early birch discount?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 09:33
Surely Bobby Vickers is part of the club now and I'd still have him around the squad next year too.

11 January, 2018 09:35
Cavubati and Davy Wilson walked past the North Stand on Sunday both wearing one of those injury boots.
Wont be seeing either of them for a while.

Noticed Gregor Townsend walk past aswell...Jon Welsh and Chris Harris being watched for the 6n?

As to the Signings / Re-Sigings
We signed a lot of quality in the Summer...many of those still settling in - Matavesi just starting to put in the performances (he was immense on Sunday), Flood still settling, and we haven't even seen DTH or Mermoz yet!??

They're doesn't need to be huge numbers of incomings...just tweaks and improvements in some of the weaker areas.

On another note, Smithy, maybe you'll have some idea, has Matavesi Jr, been doing well in training? Who is he playing for locally? Any thoughts? He looked a proper big lump like his brother...just curious how he was getting on.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 09:35
(Sm152)
Quote:
markismith50
Early birch discount?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 11:19
Hi GF, yes, Joel has been playing a bit for Blaydon, and also for our A-League team. He's coming along nicely, thanks. Had a stormer for the A-Team against Wasps before Christmas.

mannin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 11:38
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Noticed Gregor Townsend walk past aswell...Jon Welsh and Chris Harris being watched for the 6n?

Gregor apparently put a call into Gary Graham to try and get him to change his mind about English allegiance and is keeping tabs.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 11:53
I guess it'll come down to whoever offers him a cap first then!

Who plays Italy in the 6N earliest? - looks like it is advantage England....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 11:55 by Kwa444.

11 January, 2018 11:57
I have a suspicion Scotland would be a better option.

Particularly the way Eddie Jones has just forgotten about Mark Wilson despite playing very well in Argentina.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:34
A top LH is a must in my opinion, I would like to see somebody like Thomas du Toit the huge prop from the Sharks hopefully Cooper could have a word, or even Gordon Reid from London Irish he has some good experience and I rate him. Maybe another TH would be nice preferably a young one otherwise we probably don't need that many. smiling smiley

BackrowFlyhalf (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 13:00
I think Gary Graham will probably be in the mindset he could potentially challange for 50-60+ caps for scotland or maybe be a one cap wonder for England, especially as he has team mates like Wilson who are consistantly overlooked, and to be fiar its not just wilson. look at Armand at exeter, constantly overlooked, for the favourites (Robshaw, haskell, etc.)

I'm a massive fan of his and remember the first couple of games of the season thinking who is that cracking player with the awful scrum hat.

The England call-up has probably just given Gregor a gentle nudge/reminder as i think i need to act sooner than i wanted with this lad. And to be fair im not sure he is ready for international rugby yet, but its great to be talking about it

11 January, 2018 13:41
I agree BRF, everything just points to Scotland as far a Graham is concerned. Seems a no brainer to me.

Only problem is then its another non EQ

As for the front row...I think TH is the biggy - due to injury problems.

TH - Jon Welsh, Scott Wilson, Davy Wilson
Davy Wilson is a major problem. He walked past us in a boot on Sunday in the north stand. so doesn't look like being available anytime soon. How many games has he played since he joined us?

Scotty at least is getting some games at last, but does anyone have faith at the moment that he will go the rest of the season without another injury?

Jon Welsh is doing ALOT of work. Lets hope to god he doesnt break under the pressure.

So this is an area we definitely need to look at.

LH - Sami Mavinga, Rob Vickers, Sam Lockwood, Adam Brocklebank (A), Trevor Davison (A)
In better stock here, but we either have the aging workhorse Vickers, or inexperienced players. Lockwood is the key, if he remains injury free following his huge layoff he could be a vital player!

Then Davison, Brocklebank and Mavinga can be brought through correctly and they look decent prospects.

Hooker is not an issue, we have some great hookers.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:09
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

You must have been down the Bigg Market recently.
(Sm100)

mannin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:20
Appearance fee for England is 24k which is a rather large carrot...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 15:21 by mannin.

11 January, 2018 15:50
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

You must have been down the Bigg Market recently.
(Sm100)
grinning smiley

markismith50 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:56
Starting the ball rolling by announcing renewals with a couple of our most promising young players later today...

aidanb (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:58
Quote:
markismith50
Starting the ball rolling by announcing renewals with a couple of our most promising young players later today...

Micky Ward renewing - wow thats great news

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 16:55
Just been announced that both Adam Radwan & Simon Uzokwe have both pledged their futures to the Falcons by signing new deals. Great news to the pair of them and the club, I'm sure plenty of other clubs would have been sniffing around for these two.

dick g (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 17:35
Might this also hint that Deano is staying? Ambitious young players would surely be reluctant to stay at a club with a question mark hanging over the DOR. Or am I reading too much between the lines?

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 17:39
Hope your right dick g, like what's been said earlier , he will be the biggest signing the club will make this season.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 18:18
You would probably think that when Mark Wilson and Will Welsh both signed their 4 year deals they raised the question about Dean's future?

Getitright (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 19:34
Think Fred Burdon went to Yorkshire on a rolling contract which is probably fitness related. However he's a bright lad so I'm sure he'll have a future planned outside of rugby.

Don't think we'll see Bobby Vickers next year but have been wrong before!

As for Jon Welsh he's got to be nailed on for the Scotland squad with current front row injuries. However as it gets closer to 6N they often release squad members if they aren't going to feature so the next month or so will be interesting. Same applies to Charris, I guess, as he may feature in the squad but there are a number of centres returning from injury so his opportunities may be limited

11 January, 2018 20:35
Id be amazed if Bobby Vickers wasn't in the squad next season. Hes still a fit guy and gets through a huge amount of work.

He may not be first choice if Lockwood takes over, but he'll be a very good squad member.

Dean values experience hugely!

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 22:17
37 is a heck of an age, even for a prop. I guess Simon Shaw made 40. It's a tall order but he should certainly be able to perform if needed.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 22:26
Would like to think Bobby Vickers has a couple of seasons left in him, and after playing would like to see him remain with the club in some capacity. For me he is a unsung hero in our side, he always gives 100% and scores some important tries for us.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 08:44
I think Bobby was 26 or 27 when he made his first team debut so he might be fresher overall than your average player of his age.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 18:30
The Bristol Post ran a story about Sinoti being in talks with Bris citing Jim Hamilton on the rugby pod as its source
Jim says heís heard Sinoti was in talks, no mention of his co host Andy Goode and his thoughts of the rumour though
I suppose time will tell

16 January, 2018 20:32
Hypothetical Situation...

IF the worst case is that Sinoti does indeed go to Bristol..

Then Lewington is already confirmed to Saracens for next season from Irish. Nathan Earle is apparently on the move.

Would you take him?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 21:16
Don't think we need him. As Steve said on the Sinoti thread, we are well stocked with backs who can score tries at pace.

16 January, 2018 21:43
We do Monkey that's true...but that would only leave us with Goneva who has genuine muscle and size (I appreciate Earle isn't in that build). Radwan and Kibirige who I rate so highly, are more lightweight speedsters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2018 21:45 by GeordieFalcon.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 22:57
I don't think we would need anybody, but I see Alex Cuthbert wants a move away from Wales would you have him?. smiling smiley

aidanb (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 23:33
DTH will be in the frame as well

I know we havent seen him so far but that could just be a case of adjusting

16 January, 2018 23:37
Quote:
AFalcon24
I don't think we would need anybody, but I see Alex Cuthbert wants a move away from Wales would you have him?. smiling smiley

No.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 05:12
I wouldn't take Cuthbert, he'd be expensive and he's not a great player these days.

I think we're well stocked on the wing and can afford to lose one without really suffering. If we reinvested the funds in a frontrower of proven quality, it could work out well.As much as I love Sinoti, he's 32 and plays on the edge constantly, he's not going to become less injury prone.

pityacker (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 08:24
Sinoti is a player who excites people like few others do he is an exceptional one off perhaps not a great team player as often he does things and goes places that only he knows. Despite his injury problems itís been great to have him at KP and I sincerely hope he stays for a while yet.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 08:43
If Sinoti goes (hopefully not) and we do replace him, we could do a lot worse than Earle.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 08:58
Yeah I agree Cuthbert also can't tackle to save his life, like people say we are well stocked there. Nathan Earle is bigger than I thought just looked he is 101 kg so around 16 stone. smiling smiley

17 January, 2018 21:52
Cuthbert? Oh dear God no no no!!!

17 January, 2018 21:53
Ps if (and I hope he doesnt) Sinoti does go then I think Dean will bring in another winger with some physicality.

You need balance of pace and skill and brute power.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 07:01
I, like the majority of people at the falcons would be very disappointed to see sinoti go. BUT money talks and if Bristol come in with an offer to good to turn down, which in turn could give Dean the capability to stretch his budget a little further and bring in someone "big".

18 January, 2018 14:18
Quote:
skip mcskipper
I, like the majority of people at the falcons would be very disappointed to see sinoti go. BUT money talks and if Bristol come in with an offer to good to turn down, which in turn could give Dean the capability to stretch his budget a little further and bring in someone "big".

I really don't think we need to look for a BIG NAME winger. Its about effectiveness. Sinoti wasn't a household name when he came in.

We signed DTH who IS a big name and I don't think he's played a game.

Radwan and Kibirige are two fantastic young players who will play a huge part in the next few years. Goneva is sheer class with the added bonus that he's an absolute tank.

Should the worst case happen, Dean will look for another low key signing who is ultimately effective. But I suspect it will be someone with a bit of muscle on them.

alas (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 17:54
If size is that you want John Rudd may be available. Hope Sinoti stays, but if he goes we still have enough good wingers.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 18:47
Quote:
alas
If size is that you want John Rudd may be available.
(Sm22)

18 January, 2018 20:47
grinning smiley John Rudd.... winking smiley

comets (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 02:28
Fijian player, Metuisela Talebula who currently plays for Bordeaux is out of contract soon, he can cover 10, 12, 13, BOTH WING and fullback, maybe Deano can contact him, only 26.....maybe one day we can call Newcastle Falcons, Newcastle Fijians winking smiley

Leipziger (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 07:54
John Rudd: legend.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 08:46
Quote:
comets
Fijian player, Metuisela Talebula who currently plays for Bordeaux is out of contract soon, he can cover 10, 12, 13, BOTH WING and fullback, maybe Deano can contact him, only 26.....maybe one day we can call Newcastle Falcons, Newcastle Fijians winking smiley

What a try scoring record he has got a very good player. smiling smiley

19 January, 2018 10:37
Its fun have a chat about all the rumours...

But just being serious for a bit...

What positions do we ACTUALLY need players coming in? In my opinion it really isn't many.

We only need to replace any 1st teamers leaving...Sinoti rumours continue on for example. But we do have Kibirige and Radwan looking very good and DTH hopefully to make an appearance. Davy Wilson not looking healthy...

Some fringe players may leave, who may need to be replaced but we have some very good kids coming through that can probably take their place.

Front row is probably an area we can look at, more due to constant injury issues.

Any thoughts?

pityacker (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 10:57
Unless anything announced by buying clubs about any of our players leaving for a number of seasons Falcons tend to announce things near to season ticket renewal time which they think sells tickets . Many other clubs obviously think this is not required but for us patience is usually needed but then again maybe some player re-signings may be announced earlier.

19 January, 2018 11:39
I firmly believe we're at the stage now we have a cracking team and now its about developing those players, and increasing their familiarity with the systems etc.

30 January, 2018 15:37
Goneva has signed an extenstion!

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 15:48
Agree great resigning by the club to get Goneva to pledge his future to the club, now for the announcment of the likes of sinoti, socino and of course Dean Richards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/01/2018 15:51 by Davidten31.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 15:53
I will stick my neck out and say it bodes well that Richards is going nowhere if the likes of Goneva are staying

30 January, 2018 15:55
I cant see Goneva re-signing if Dean wasn't.

Hopefully JP, Sinotti etc will follow up.

31 January, 2018 08:58
I see James Haskell is being released and he even offered to take a large pay cut.

Is he someone Dean might be interested in?

Or do we have more than enough...current and future back rowers coming through?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 09:10
I thought Bristol would of signed Haskell still might yet, not saying he is a bad player but no thanks we have enough in the back row I feel and age isn't on his side. smiling smiley

31 January, 2018 10:09
Yeah I think we are very well stocked at back row, definitely. Both for current and future players.

I just know Dean loves a guy with experience who has been there and done it...and at a cut price, might be interested.

I personally think Bristol looks right for him.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 12:02
I get annoyed at all the big names being linked with Bristol, but Haskell would make a lot of sense for them. He is exactly the sort of experienced Premiership player that could bring one heck of a lot to their training field as well as the match day squad. A few people such as Haskell in key positions is what will make a difference, not signing shed loads of players which will disrupt the squad.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 18:00
Haskell will want to play in the premiership for his England chances. Bristol aren't necessarily going to stay up - not that any side can be guaranteed, but he will need to work on averages and probably take a hit for the two needs he has.

For us, Ally Hogg is probably at retirement and we ask a lot of our most experienced players - Wilson and Welch.

Haskell at a low price for a couple of seasons would look a good option for us, as I suspect we might for him.

Clearly Exe, Sarries, Bath and Wasps are out for him. He won't want Irish and may not be keen on Worcester or Bristol (money aside). Not sure Saints and Sale would be open to him. That leaves Tigers, Glaws, Quins and us.

alas (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 18:18
We've got Chick coming through, Graham and Burrows have proved themselves. Unless Latu is retiring as well as Hogg I think we are well-covered in the back-row.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 18:35
I think he'd be a great signing - if we play champions cup rugby we'll need a bigger squad and Hogg is almost certainly on his way out. He'd be a great mentor for the likes of Graham et al.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 18:57
Yeah looking at it if we were in the Champions Cup, he would give us that experience and size what you need in that competition, I still feel we have good options already in the back row. smiling smiley

aidanb (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 22:16
I thought Hogg put in a cracking shift on Saturday. His defence was right up here with the best Iíve seen from him.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 07:18
Hoggy always looks like he has at least another 10 years left in him. He just doesn't get any older.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net