rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 27-Saturday 28 July Premiership Sevens at Franklin's Gardens

Saturday 11 August v Nottingham Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Exeter Chiefs 36-5 Newcastle Falcons

Just a cup game......
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 14:52
I must confess, that has been my philosophy for quite a long time, and judging by the crowds that we get for cup games at KP, I am not alone.

Reasons for this are many, but for years we have not had the luxury of playing strong teams for cup games. Our squad was simply not robust enough, and Premiership survival has been the essential focus. I have missed a couple of our cup games this season because I lead a busy life & had things to do, but if they had been Prem games I would have been there.

How refreshing therefore to see such a strong team announced today, with no worries about the Premiership, yet everything to play for in the Premiership, and also we are doing bloody well in the cup games. For the first time in ages I am actually looking forward to a cup game at KP, and it feels good.

Re: Just a cup game......
AJfalc (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 18:38
I'm a ST holder and won't be there. It isn't the strength of our team but the strength of the opposition that has made up my mind.

jokboy (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 19:17
You can only beat what's in front of you and it keeps the momentum going everything is postive around the Club at the minute hopefully new contracts to be announced will increase the positivity

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 19:26
Well ive been to all the games, and I'm looking forward to this one.

Yes the opposition may not be the strongest but it gives us a chance to have a look at the youngsters coming through, and even more so...to see our team (hopefully) scoring a good amount of tries.

It also gives Dean a chance to give fringe / returning players an important run out in a "competitive" fixture in a competition we are leading the table in.

Judging by this squad he's keen to give his front rowers a good run out on Sunday, and those wingers will be itching to get the ball in a bit of space!

Could / should be a try fest...

markismith50 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 20:51
They ran Bordeaux and Dragons close, donít be fooled into underestimating this lot

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 21:34
Very rare I miss a home game and this will be no different even though I'd double booked with Kids Comedy Club their Mum is taking them now.

This is as much an A team line up as the cup games last season but with a stronger squad it doesn't give that impression as much and that's a very good thing.

Looking forward to watching Radwan and Kibirgie, pair of flyers and wonder which one is quickest.

dick g (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 09:48
Quote:
AJfalc
I'm a ST holder and won't be there. It isn't the strength of our team but the strength of the opposition that has made up my mind.
There is no such thing as a bad game if you win. And I enjoy seeing the Falcons running up a decent score. But I doubt that the game will be the proverbial walk in the park. The Russians have nothing to lose. Just like us last weekend.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 11:30
With both Gloucester and Edinburgh winning last night, we need to keep the pedal hard to the floor and go for maximum points in out 2 remaining Challenge Cup fixtures.

A home semi would boost our chances of reaching the final and a trip to Bilbao in May is very appealing.

Timeshock! (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 12:13
I would urge you all to go and have a look, I have seen a few A tea m matches, and we have some great talent out there, it gives them experience in playing in front of larger audiences as well, so when their time comes to step up they would be relatively unfazed and able to concentrate better on their game.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 13:54
Need help on something....my son can't make the game tomorrow (he's a season ticket holder) but my 4yr old daughter is wanting to come along (it will be her first game) with her older sister (who's also a STH)
With it being a cup game it makes sense to bring her as it probably won't be too busy.
Does anyone know if I can exchange my sons ticket for a ticket for her. If not does anyone know how much it is for a child in the East stand terrace?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 13:57 by Wensleydale Falcon.

Greggs (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 14:55
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
Need help on something....my son can't make the game tomorrow (he's a season ticket holder) but my 4yr old daughter is wanting to come along (it will be her first game) with her older sister (who's also a STH)
With it being a cup game it makes sense to bring her as it probably won't be too busy.
Does anyone know if I can exchange my sons ticket for a ticket for her. If not does anyone know how much it is for a child in the East stand terrace?

Dunno about the exchange I'm afraid - but I've just been on the eticketing site to book the old fella's ticket and an U16 in the East Terrace was £7 (i.e. £5 + £2 in booking fees).

Edit - should mention that that was the NE Terrace as I'm a North stander - I don't know whether the SE is the same whack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 14:57 by Greggs.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 15:23
Wensleydale, please call the ticket office and they will advise, 08712266060

13 January, 2018 16:04
Ticket office now closed.

I will just ask when we go up tomorrow....cheers.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 16:16
From what youíve said Wensleydale Iíd imagine youíre fine. Itís basically your son lending his ST to your daughter, so itís not as if youíre pulling a fast one. Pop into the ticket office to check tomorrow but I canít personally see a big issue with it.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:39
Quote:
markismith50
From what youíve said Wensleydale Iíd imagine youíre fine. Itís basically your son lending his ST to your daughter, so itís not as if youíre pulling a fast one. Pop into the ticket office to check tomorrow but I canít personally see a big issue with it.

That's what I thought too, but so obvious I assumed I was missing something. You have 2 junior tickets & will be taking 2 juniors.

aidanb (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:58
Only thing I can think of is that the season tickets have a picture on so there may be a technical issue with lending it to someone

As in the season ticket is for me to go not my brother.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 23:36
Under 5s are free unless need a seat mate so you're fine.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 16:42
64-7 win! Impressive considering Dragons only won by 15 and Bordeaux by 8 at home against Enisei.

Anyone able to offer any feedback on the game? Standout performances?

Oh and congrats to the master of scoring from 0.0013mm Bobbie Vickers for making his 250 appearance off the bench.

Osric (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 16:57
Hard to tell given the mismatch. Good turn of speed by Burrows at the end. Radwan and Cowell are electric. Uzokwe very strong. Having Joel and Toby at 20 and 12 worked at this level.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 16:59
Good win.
Win next week in Georgia guarantees us minimum 3rd seed for quarters.
If Glos beat Pau/Pau beat Glos without a BP, we're 2nd.
If the above happens and Edinburgh lose to Stade Francais, we're 1st.
I think....

14 January, 2018 18:07
I thought Kibirige showed up well. Him and Radwan just have insane pace!!
Penny was motm.
Joel did well.
What's up with Hammersley these days...he seems to have forgotten about those gliding runs he used to go on when first broke through.

They were poor though to be fair. Poorer than I expected actually. Offered nothing until the last ten mins after we'd made a raft of subs.

The only negative was we did make a number of mistakes and handling errors which in a tighter game may have been more costly..but that was probably due to the temperature as by god it was freezing out there!! That wind was like it was coming from the arctic!!
All in all a professional game and result (as Dean said) and he will be happy with so many of his squad getting a run out.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 18:11
Some really good performances by the sounds of it, who knows we could go on and win this cup. smiling smiley

14 January, 2018 18:12
Quote:
Osric
Hard to tell given the mismatch. Good turn of speed by Burrows at the end. Radwan and Cowell are electric. Uzokwe very strong. Having Joel and Toby at 20 and 12 worked at this level.

Cowell wasn't playing? Do you mean Penny in the centre. He was man of the match.

Im a big fan of young uzokwe but I was actually a little disappointed with his performance today..he did some good things but I think he could have been more influential/ involved offensively with his carrying etc.

He made the try in the first minute with a big carry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2018 18:13 by GeordieFalcon.

pityacker (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 18:19
Cowell came off the bench to full back.

Osric (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 18:37
Cowell had a break at the end which was electric. Radwan and Kibirige were swift throughout.

14 January, 2018 18:46
Was that Cowell ?
I thought it was Charlie Wilson?

14 January, 2018 18:50
15 Simon Hammersley (Cameron Cowell, 59),

I stand corrected...

14 January, 2018 19:30
Guaranteed a home quarter. With the depth we have we have to take a strong squad to Georgia being either number 1 or 2 seeds for a home semi (in the event we win our home quarter).

14 January, 2018 19:58
So we're guaranteed a home quarter by the sounds of things and if things stay the same after next weeks round of games then here's how the QF seedings will probably look like....

1: Edinburgh
2: Section Paloise
3: Connacht
4: FALCONS
5: Cardiff
6: Gloucester
7: Bordeaux
8: Worcester

And that'll probably mean that the draw will shape up like this....

Edinburgh (1) Vs. Worcester (8)-Home SF berth
Section Paloise (2) Vs. Bordeaux (7)-Away SF berth

Connacht (3) Vs. Gloucester (6)-Home SF berth
FALCONS (4) Vs. Cardiff (5)-Away SF berth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2018 20:04 by JustAnotherOnlooker.

aidanb (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 20:02
Uzokwe or Kibirige was man of the match for me.

But Justin got it all wrong

He called Vickers on for his 250th Falcons cap and asked us to applaud that
Then a moment later he had to announce the MOTM which was surely Bobby Vickers.

Chance missed

AndyPenman (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 20:44
Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker
So we're guaranteed a home quarter by the sounds of things and if things stay the same after next weeks round of games then here's how the QF seedings will probably look like....
1: Edinburgh
2: Section Paloise
3: Connacht
4: FALCONS
5: Cardiff
6: Gloucester
7: Bordeaux
8: Worcester

And that'll probably mean that the draw will shape up like this....

Edinburgh (1) Vs. Worcester (8)-Home SF berth
Section Paloise (2) Vs. Bordeaux (7)-Away SF berth

Connacht (3) Vs. Gloucester (6)-Home SF berth
FALCONS (4) Vs. Cardiff (5)-Away SF berth

We are currently 3rd seeds, Connacht are on 21 points we are on 23, and given the weird draw rules it is possibly the best placed seeding to get a home semi as well.

Quote from the ERC site below:

Quote:
The semi-final matches will be played at home venues, and the following clubs will have home venue advantage in their respective semi-final matches:
(a) For Semi-final 1

If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 8 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home venue advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 7 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home venue advantage

alas (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 20:57
Third or fourth seed can't get a home semi. Pau are not likely to beat Gloucester at Kingsholm, so a win in Tiblisi is likely to make the Falcons second seed - or first if Edinburgh don't win in Paris.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 09:25
Yet more happy proof of the club's transformation is that we are going into round 6 of the group stage this season with the chance of being top or second seed for the quarter finals.

With Glos playing Pau at Kingsholm on Friday night we will know their score before taking the field in Georgia on Saturday morning UK time. I guess Enisei will be a tougher proposition over there, but if we can dig in and produce one more five pointer, Edinburgh will be aware of that before they run out to play in Paris.

This is turning in to the best season this century.

exhooker (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 10:12
The options in the rules-thanks Andy Penman- are wonderfully complex. If we gain nothing on Saturday we qualify 4th (Blues can't catch us)whereas 4 or 5 points puts us right in the mix.I can't see a 67 romp in Georgia. Otherwise everything else to play for.I shall watch the televised Glos game on Frid with great interest.I presume we are cheering for Glos on this occasion.

alas (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 10:28
Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2018 10:36 by alas.

Mafia (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 11:50
Cheering for Glos and Stade methinks!!

15 January, 2018 18:21
Highlights are now available on the EPC Rugby highlights. Some cracking tries scored yesterday. Uzokwe and Penny seemed to be involved in a lot of the tries. Personally liked Michael Young's quick tap and go to set up Radwan.

15 January, 2018 18:35
With you there NF!!
Michael is playing the best rugby I've seen him play in a Falcons shirt the last couple of games.
He looks like he desperately wants the starting shirt.
The confidence throughout team yesterday was a joy to watch.
I don't know about other posters on the board but I seriously would struggle to name a best 23.
The competition for places is superb now and a few more gave the management team another nudge for selection when the Prem kicks back in.

Robs (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 22:59
Anybody else think it was Mr Bean reffing on Sunday?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 06:41
I did enjoy the French ref speaking pidgen English to the Russian captain at the coin toss. Blank faces all round!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net