rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 24th February v Harlequins at The Stoop, 2.30pm

Saturday 3rd March v Gloucester at Kingsholm, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 29-12 Bath

Sinoti Sinoti
Athos (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 18:28
Just listened to the rugby pod, Jim Hamilton links Sinoti to a move to Bristols. For me this would be a similar one to when Tigers let Goneva come to us.

Re: Sinoti Sinoti
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 18:31
You beat me to it by seconds

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 18:48
As we know, this time of year there is rumour and conjecture in abundance. Of course some will be right, but as we know from seasons gone by a large percentage are just that...."rumour and conjecture "
My take on it is just to sit back and wait for the official announcements.
Players come and players go...I'm sure that we will sigh with disappointment at some and jump for joy at others!!
I have enormous belief in our management team that they are doing the necessary to continue our improvements both on and off the pitch.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 18:59
Will be sad to see him go if he did make the move. smiling smiley

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 19:19
It would be a shame if he left but I'm sure Deano could find a perfectly capable replacement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2018 19:19 by NorfolkFalcon.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 19:42
I'd rather lose Sinoti than Goneva that's for sure and we also have DTHVDM, Radwan, Kibirgie and Tait and obviously Olmstead on the wing. (and Harris has played well for us on the wing).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/01/2018 08:15 by steve1888.

aidanb (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 21:28
Olmstead on the wing is our best 16th man option.
Lock and line out role then great winger in waiting.

robtheh (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 09:34
Bristol fan in peace: I can't see this happening. I have a very strong suspicion that Hamilton & Goode enjoy linking Bristol with everyone under the sun (by my reckoning James Haskell, Jonny Gray, Harry Thacker, George McGuigan, Motu Matu'u and now Sinoti) and are just doing so to take the pi$$ out of 'moneybags Bristol'.
I would, of course, not complain were it to be true, but I am discounting every one of their rumours as complete bilge.

dick g (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 09:47
Will Snotty go to Bristol when the Falcons will be playing Championship rugby next season.

pa8 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 10:20
Quote:
dick g
Will Snotty go to Bristol when the Falcons will be playing Championship rugby next season.

Eh ? Are we being docked points ?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 10:34
I think Dick meant to say Champions Cup rugby.

Quote:
robtheh
Bristol fan in peace: I can't see this happening. I have a very strong suspicion that Hamilton & Goode enjoy linking Bristol with everyone under the sun (by my reckoning James Haskell, Jonny Gray, Harry Thacker, George McGuigan, Motu Matu'u and now Sinoti) and are just doing so to take the pi$$ out of 'moneybags Bristol'.
I would, of course, not complain were it to be true, but I am discounting every one of their rumours as complete bilge.

I think you are probably right Rob. If you listen to the pundits then Bristol would be way over the salary cap already, and they haven't announced signings yet. It is easy news to make up, and no doubt there will be a lot more before the season is over.

mannin (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 13:20
I listen very week and nearly every one of Hamilton's rumours are complete rubbish. Goodey's are normally the ones that have some element of truth behind them.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 21:45
Purely fantasy and wishful thinking from a great club who has money burning a hole in their pocket. Sinoti will be linked to lots of clubs over the summer as everyone would like him on their clubs teamsheet, but at the moment he is playing well In a top half team that he is settled at.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 06:42
I think if we believed the rumours, the Bristol first team would be the all blacks with the bench made up of British lions , managed by Eddie Jones.

robtheh (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 08:16
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
Purely fantasy and wishful thinking from a great club who has money burning a hole in their pocket. Sinoti will be linked to lots of clubs over the summer as everyone would like him on their clubs teamsheet, but at the moment he is playing well In a top half team that he is settled at.

Except the rumour, and any fantasy/wishful thinking, hasn't come from us. Blame Hamilton!

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 08:50
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
Rafpilot2000

Except the rumour, and any fantasy/wishful thinking, hasn't come from us. Blame Hamilton!

Hey Rob, can see this one potentially having legs tbh.

I pop on the Bristol forum now and again and it makes for great reading. All clubs have their dreamers but you have some absolute gems!

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 09:24
I hear they are playing in a Roman amphitheater next season wearing a kit made by Versace!

robtheh (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 11:10
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
Rafpilot2000

I pop on the Bristol forum now and again and it makes for great reading. All clubs have their dreamers but you have some absolute gems!

I am not going to disagree with you on that front! (Sm100)

I guess I don't know the story from your guys end: but as someone alluded to up thread, why would he want to move? Not doing my own team a disservice: our ambitions are very expansive; as are yours, but I just don't see it happening.
I do, it has to be said, get pi$$ed off with lazy b*****d journo's just chucking our name in to the mix: it doesn't do Bristol's name any favours in my view.

Best of luck to all of you guys for the rest of the season: have only ventured up your way once, in 2005/06, and had an absolutely cracking time! Hoping to repeat next year.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 12:01
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
Rafpilot2000

I am not going to disagree with you on that front! (Sm100)

I guess I don't know the story from your guys end: but as someone alluded to up thread, why would he want to move? Not doing my own team a disservice: our ambitions are very expansive; as are yours, but I just don't see it happening.
I do, it has to be said, get pi$$ed off with lazy b*****d journo's just chucking our name in to the mix: it doesn't do Bristol's name any favours in my view.

Best of luck to all of you guys for the rest of the season: have only ventured up your way once, in 2005/06, and had an absolutely cracking time! Hoping to repeat next year.

IMHO If even 1% of these rumours were true Bristols salary cap fine would be more than the salary cap! Pointless speculation by jurnos who need an article i suspect

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 14:05
Now that we've all rubbished it, this will turn out to be the one Bristol rumour that actually happens of course.
(Sm100)

comets (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 02:06
Goneva will retire from Rugby (including international) after the end of this season's aviva premiership, he will be 34 by then, he may not be as quick as he was 8 years back but he still know how to play the game the real way..if Falcons lose sinoti, they will lose 2 good wingers...

pa8 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 08:45
Where has the Goneva info come from ?

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 09:26
Quote:
comets
Goneva will retire from Rugby (including international) after the end of this season's aviva premiership, he will be 34 by then, he may not be as quick as he was 8 years back but he still know how to play the game the real way..if Falcons lose sinoti, they will lose 2 good wingers...
Based on what?

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 10:24
It's just a wind up!

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 19:21
Bristol are announcing 9 new signings for next season tomorrow
They have released silhouettes of all 9 on their social media accounts
1 looks just like Sinoti unfortunately

Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 19:33
Which one, I donít see him in any

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 19:42
4th along
Top right

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 20:22
Goneva could also be top row second from the left
Interesting from Bristol, causing plenty of excitement on social media

Yorksfalcon (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 20:24
Personally I'd be more convinced if it was a silhouette of one of his calves....

Osric (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 21:14
I hope not but if it is, so be it. We can't stand still. Losing him weakens the squad and, given our position this year, that's not something I thought would happen. I guess we've lost others in recent seasons and the coaching team have brought in strong replacements. E.g. Losing Barrow and McGuigan felt like bad news but....
Still, I hope he stays. Not least for the excite,ent factor.

pa8 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 21:28
Iíd be more gutted to lose Goneva and the top row second from left silhouette definitely looks like him. Hope itís just similar.

pityacker (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 22:04
I think the centre of the bottom row could possibly be Sinoti , would be gutted if he goes but if he does who can blame him nearing the end of his playing days trying to earn as much as he can .

DB23 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 22:08
Bottom row, second in from the right, is Donald Trump.

dick g (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 22:12
No. It's me.

helmet (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 22:14
top row, 2nd left is lord lucan

DB23 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 22:18
Quote:
dick g
No. It's me.

No, itís me, I am Spartacus

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 06:51
Quote:
Falc Dancer

Calm down lads winking smiley

John Afoa (Top left)
Harry Thacker (Bottom middle)
Jake Heehan (B. 2 from right)
Nic Stirzaker (T. 2 from right)
Tiff Eden (B. 2 from left)
Shaun Malton (T. 2 from left)
Aly Muldowney (B. left)
Jordan Lay (B. right)
Yann Thomas (T. Right)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2018 06:54 by Pool_falcon.

20 January, 2018 08:02
Is that it then, can we put this saga behind us.

pa8 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 08:54
Until the next time, sure thereíll be more until we announce our re-signings/new players.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 09:17
Hardly the world class players that many of the Bristols fans were expecting. Would any of these make a big impact in many AP sides (bar Afoa who's in decline anyway)?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 09:32
Interesting that Bristol are signing Afoa. They're signing Piutau on an alleged £1m a season, making him the highest-paid player in the world. When Gloucester signed Afoa, they apparently made him the highest-paid player in the world at the time on £400k a year, and he probably won't be on less than that at Bristol. I wonder what effect these figures might have on team spirit there?

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 09:37
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Quote:
Falc Dancer

Calm down lads winking smiley

John Afoa (Top left)
Harry Thacker (Bottom middle)
Jake Heehan (B. 2 from right)
Nic Stirzaker (T. 2 from right)
Tiff Eden (B. 2 from left)
Shaun Malton (T. 2 from left)
Aly Muldowney (B. left)
Jordan Lay (B. right)
Yann Thomas (T. Right)

Worth noting none of these have been confirmed by Bristol yet, just some people guessing based on a silhouette

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 09:57
There is an awful lot of utter cobblers talked about Bristol signing players. Treat it all with a bit of scepticism. Do you really think somebody as shrewd as Pat Lam is going to allocate £1m to just one player? If it sounds like nonsense then it probably is nonsense.

As mentioned above, none of that list has been announced yet, it is just speculation from one of the rugby Tw@tter posters.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 10:21
Quote:
Monkey1
There is an awful lot of utter cobblers talked about Bristol signing players. Treat it all with a bit of scepticism. Do you really think somebody as shrewd as Pat Lam is going to allocate £1m to just one player? If it sounds like nonsense then it probably is nonsense.
As mentioned above, none of that list has been announced yet, it is just speculation from one of the rugby Tw@tter posters.

I assume Piutau would be a marque player so outside the salary cap, and I wouldn't think Lam is involved in salary negotiations.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 10:31
They have just announced it's actually 13 new signings!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 11:54
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
They have just announced it's actually 13 new signings!

The first four of those are academy signings, always good to see. Sign of a club in good health.

pityacker (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 12:32
With Piatau and Jon Afoa announced 7 from the silhouettes left to announce.

20 January, 2018 15:13
Shaun Malton
Nic Stirzaker
Yann Thomas
Aly Muldowney
Tiff Eden

To add to the announced list. 3 more to go.

20 January, 2018 15:23
+ Harry Thacker

20 January, 2018 16:09
+ Jake Heenan

1 left.

20 January, 2018 16:26
Jordan Lay is the last one.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:27
Is Jordan Lay the complete series now then? Or is he included prior and I missed it?

20 January, 2018 16:33
The ones I've posted are the Bristol Rugby confirmed ones. Albeit no different to the list posted above my posts.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 16:17
He will be 34 but a lot of his rugby has been in lower leagues and in sevens. I would suggest that it has been less attentional on his body. I would certainly be happy to see him in a Falcons shirt for another season.

CABris (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 23:51
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Hardly the world class players that many of the Bristols fans were expecting. Would any of these make a big impact in many AP sides (bar Afoa who's in decline anyway)?

To be honest, I think this is exactly what we needed. Apparently this is the first batch of announcements but these are all solid prem performers whilst not being head turning names. This is the level of player that we were desperately missing last season whereby we had a largely championship squad with a handful of good players that might have started for certain other prem teams.

We have a couple of big names in Luatua and Charles Puitau, both of whom would walk into any prem team, but bringing in 9 solid players was absolutely key and has had quite an effect on what I think would be our starting 23.

1. Y. Thomas
2. H. Thacker
3. J. Afoa
4. A. Muldowney
5. C. Vui
6. J. Heenan
7. D. Thomas
8. S. Luatua
9. N. Stirzaker
10. I. Madigan
11. L. Morahan
12. T. Pisi
13. S. Puitau
14. A.Leiua
15. C. Puitau

16. S. Molton
17. J. Lay
18. G. Cortes
19. J. Joyce
20. J. Lam
21. A. Uren
22. C. Sheedy
23. M. Protheroe

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 04:41
There's one or two islanders in that backline CABris!

I do you see your point though. Whenever Bristol get promoted there seems to be this expectation they're going to sign 4 or 5 world class players and challenge for the AP straight away. In reality, this hasn't really happened.

It seems like a better policy this season, you need to grow as a squad.

I don't think that side will be put out though as (I may be wrong), you can only have 3 non European players in the squad??? I think you have 7 there?

robtheh (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 13:16
Quote:
Pool_falcon
There's one or two islanders in that backline CABris!
I do you see your point though. Whenever Bristol get promoted there seems to be this expectation they're going to sign 4 or 5 world class players and challenge for the AP straight away. In reality, this hasn't really happened.

It seems like a better policy this season, you need to grow as a squad.

I don't think that side will be put out though as (I may be wrong), you can only have 3 non European players in the squad??? I think you have 7 there?

The only 'foreign' players we have there are Cortes and Morahan. All others covered under Kolpak/Cotonou.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 15:21
I see DTH scored for Canada. Is he actually going to bother playing a game for us this season?

Osric (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 15:34
It would be good too DTH and MM on the pitch some time this season. Iíd like to see more of Matavesi and something of Cavubati too. Do we need a better MOT system before signing some of these guys?

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 16:18
Cavubati walked past us the other week in one of those injury boot things along with Davy Wilson.

But What is going on with DTH and Mermoz? Paying considerable wages I would imagine and never played....

markismith50 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 16:34
Both have had injury problems and both playing positions in which our Prem starters have gone well. Both are top players and will offer lots when they get their chance.

pa8 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 22:24

A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 04:44
Great news if true.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 07:08
This rumour hasn't come from Rugby Inside Line or Fissler so there is still hope.
(Sm100)

pityacker (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 07:22
The rumour virtually word for word was taken from Fisslers column in this weeks Rugby Paper.

dick g (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 09:36
Silence from club on this is a bit worrying.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 10:09
Hi Dick, you shouldn't be worried by our silence. Lots of players have signed contracts and many more are in negotiations. We'll announce them when we feel the time is right and we won't be confirming/denying every morsel of speculation which appears on here or in the media.

08 February, 2018 10:32
I'm surprised the club hasn't published more news on player and coach comings and goings, I thought this was all part of enticing fans and new comers to buy season ticket?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 10:37
Hi Skip, we will do this over the coming weeks and months, rest assured.

Barrington (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 13:02
There are only 13 days left before the early bird offer for season ticket closes Mark!

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:34
Notice that Dom Barrow has been linked with Sale or a return to us.

Think he was from Leeds originally so one suspects there may be personal reasons for a northward return. I am not sure we need any locks/6 players at the moment, but he's a decent player and I don't think it does the club any harm to be linked to his calibre.

One wonders if it might be a case of once bitten after Brookes return to us, though we have Flood and Davey Wilson back. Which also makes you consider that perhaps the thinking is more better the devil you know.

Anyway food for thought.....

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 17:40
Quote:
Kwa444
.....though we have Flood and Davey Wilson back. Which also makes you consider that perhaps the thinking is more better the devil you know.
Anyway food for thought.....

And they've been a roaring success, haven't they.....

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 18:31
Well you certainly can't knock Toby Flood. May have had a slow start and took time to bed in but certainly bringing a lot to the team in my opinion.
Getting better every week for me!!

aidanb (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 20:48
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
Well you certainly can't knock Toby Flood. May have had a slow start and took time to bed in but certainly bringing a lot to the team in my opinion.
Getting better every week for me!!

I like Toby Flood

He has been getting better and better for us and his prescence seems to have helped Hodgson no end

And itís always amazed me how some one with those lucky legs can play top class rugby.

[Lucky they donít snap]

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 20:59
I remember his very first Falcons game. His legs were even luckier then, and his centre of gravity was somewhere just above his eyebrows.

Robs (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 23:50
Quote:
Monkey1
I remember his very first Falcons game. His legs were even luckier then, and his centre of gravity was somewhere just above his eyebrows.
Was that the game v Wasps when he knocked over a penalty from the touch line 45m out?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 07:14
Cup game v Newport if I remember right, but I might remember wrong.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 09:51
His debut at fullback when he decided not to call Mark and side step (in his own style) a few players and boot to halfway while the South stand faithful had heart failure.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 10:51
Remember it well, Steve. Caught a bomb in his own 22, ran it back, did an outrageous dummy kick and skinned Lawrence Dallaglio with his first run as a professional. A star was born!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net