rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 17 August v Leinster Rugby at Energia Park, 7.00pm

Friday 24 August v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 47-26 Nottingham Rugby

Winding up petition served!
Kingston Parker (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 10:02
The Times has an article today saying Club was served with a winding up petition over an unpaid tax bill on December 12, and that, although it is thought that the debt has been paid now, there is no record of the petition having been removed yet. Court hearing scheduled for 7 February.

Not sure I understand how we have a tax bill as we make big losses, unless it is PAYE or VAT. Not a great indication of the current financial security of the Club.

Re: Winding up petition served!
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 10:04
If true this isn't the first time such a 'misunderstanding' has happened. It really doesn't do the club any favours.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 10:22
Probably PAYE or VAT. As Monkey says, it's not good publicity and doesn't do relations with HMRC any good.

Horus (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 11:25
Agreed Leipy, especially as it is the the third winding up petition serrved on Falcon by HMRC in 2 years.The Chron in April 2016 reported two winding up petitions within months. As the Times says the Falcons have flown close to the wind.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 11:36
Just checked on Experian & can confirm it is true. Really bad for PR, especially at a time when we are trying to attract players to sign contracts.

dick g (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 13:05
Don't believe SK can"t pay the tax I suspect an HMRC algorithm.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:00
Erm...this is a bit worrying isn't it? The 3rd in 2 years? What is going on? Is this why players haven't resigned? Terrible. Get it sorted, please.

20 January, 2018 18:16
Which players haven't re-signed?

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:25
Sorry, as in:Is this why we haven't heard any news about renewed contracts?

DB23 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:27
HMRC don’t do this stuff for fun and take a dim view, and rightly so, of companies not complying with their statutory obligations.

This is a PR disaster and damages the goodwill generated by the club with our on-field performances, our crowds are up, there are major plans to develop the stadium and a general feelgood factor around Newcastle Falcons at the moment.

This sort of news affects all kinds of activities and plans at the club if people are concerned about its future - attracting new players, getting current players to re-sign, selling tickets for future games and so on.

Really disappointed to read this story.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:39
Yawn!

We Falcons fans really do need something to complain about - with everything else going so well the club are only giving us something to moan at.....

Of course it's not why (re-)signings haven't been announced - as has been mentioned several times they rarely are this early.

Yes it's a cock up and whoever let it get that far should be bollocked but assuming it has been sorted as reported then let's move on and enjoy the rugby.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 19:00
I'm not moaning at all! We can only enjoy the rugby if we have a well run club that is going to survive!

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 19:37
Probably nativity on my behalf but if we were in that much of a financial situation , pretty sure we wouldnt be looking to develop our stadium or be happy to play without an away kit sponsor because it de-values our beloved shirt. The in’s and outs of corporate finances are probably not straight forward. I get whinged at some years for being slow getting my tax return in, doesn’t mean I’m going bankrupt.
I kinda get the feeling , in a nice way that we are so used to having things to worry and complain about that we are making stories out of nothing . The sinotti thread being an example.
I think we have a lot to thank Mr Kurdi for, but I get the feeling he is a shrewd business man and doubt this is an oversight;-)

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 20:26
I will take a guess it is something along the lines of:

There is no love lost between Newcastle Falcons & HMRC. Because of past form, if the club is one day late paying its tax bills, the computer vomits out a winding up petition without any of the usual preliminaries. The club therefore engages in its own winding up exercises, and leaves payment until the last possible day. If you play this game it is too easy to get the day wrong, so eventually a bank holiday or weekend will mean you miss the date & out pops another petition. It isn't because the club can't pay (although it used to be) it is because the club quite reasonably detests the idea of paying even one day early. Think of it as a mutual state of war.

Alternatively, rugby clubs are not like normal businesses, and some can push cash flow to the limit. It doesn't mean the club is in any trouble, just that timings have gone unintentionally pear shaped, and there is a quite reasonable reluctance to go knocking on Semore's door with a begging bowl. By the time it gets to that stage it would probably be too late to annoy Semore anyway.

I suspect it is probably the latter scenario, maybe a mixture of the two, but it still shouldn't happen because the resulting PR is just awful.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:41
This is embarrassing and doesn’t bode well
It has happened too many times to be a co-incidence

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 22:23
The HMRC is an absolute shambles and has been in disarray for several years now!!
I personally wouldn't even consider this as a talking point!

pa8 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 22:33
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
The HMRC is an absolute shambles and has been in disarray for several years now!!
I personally wouldn't even consider this as a talking point!

To be fair that’s a bit detrimental to a shambles being compared to that shower.

Johns (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 07:50
Fissler is claiming today that Dean has not agreed a new contract and that the financial position at Falcons is the reason.

It is suggested that he is favourite to take the Northampton job.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 09:12
It doesn't sound good at all does it. smiling smiley

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 09:42
Quote:
Johns
Fissler is claiming today that Dean has not agreed a new contract and that the financial position at Falcons is the reason.
It is suggested that he is favourite to take the Northampton job.

Sounds like 2 + 2 = 22 to me........

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 10:03
Fissler just makes stuff up. Reads in the Times about HMRC, combines it with Deano's contract being due for renewal, and Saints having no DoR. Add them all together in 400 words and hey presto! 15 minutes of lazy journalism & his work is done for the day.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 10:45
Sounds about right that Monkey when you think about it. smiling smiley

telfs123 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 11:02
Seeing as Deano originally signed on, and then signed a new contract 3 years later, when we were in a worse financial position than we were now, I doubt that would be the reason he doesn't sign a new contract...

Also what Fissler has actually said is that it could be a reason why Dean hasn't signed a new contract.
So it is complete Fissler speculation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/01/2018 11:08 by telfs123.

pa8 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 11:23
If we were in such financial strife, would we be planning on spending money to increase the size of the stadium ?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 11:40
Quote:
telfs123
Also what Fissler has actually said is that it could be a reason why Dean hasn't signed a new contract.
So it is complete Fissler speculation.

Yep. It could be that Deano has given his word that he will negotiate and sign a new contract but he and Kurdi think that spending time on players' signings and re-signings is more important. Guess we'll just see what happens.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 12:07
I'm with Wensleydale and pa8 on this one.

We're having a great season and I care more about our results and stadium plans than HMRC having to be patient. I don't think it affects the club's reputation one jot.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 14:39
Remember not so long ago SK stood by DR when the results weren't going our way when a few people were calling for a change in DOR (not me by the way). I think there is a lot of loyalty there and would be very surprised if DR left. The HMRC can ram it!

concolor (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 15:11
Planning committee meet on Friday to pass plans on north stand development. It has been recommended to pass the plans. I’m sure if there was anything untoward regarding finance issues they would not recommend to pass it. There’s an article in the chronicle.

aidanb (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 15:56
I had a chat last night with a mate with lots of contacts in high finance.

Fissler is making this up.

I won’t be saying how I know but it’s a load of guff from fissler

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 17:22
Fissler can't even lie straight in bed IMHO

pa8 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 08:02
Someone has just commented on the Irish site that we haven’t been paying players’ bonuses and that £70,000 of the Matavesi ‘transfer fee’ wasn’t paid until litigation as threatened. Anyone else heard this ? I knew about past problems with rumoured non payment of wages/bonuses but they were under a previous regime.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 08:16
The Matavesi thing was well documented last season but haven't heard of the player bonus one. I'd expect that if this was the case it would have been leaked to put pressure on the club to pay the bonuses.

forensicpsych (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 10:17
I am sure the professional rugby world is very small and they all talk....the club would surely know that if they developed a reputation for ripping players off - they simply won't consider signing for us - other than the lure of a top coachinf team and Deano - it must be hard enough to convince quality players that a northern posting is good for their careers.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 10:38
This all sounds like a load of rubbish tbh, talk it with a pinch of salt.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:19
With Welsh, Lawson, Harris and Graham all away on international duty does the club get financially rewarded?

pa8 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:23
Wouldn’t have thought we’d get anything for the Scots players but that’s just a guess. Not sure about Gary Graham.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net