rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 28 October v Exeter Chiefs at Kingston Park, 3.00pm (Cup)

Sunday 4 November v Harlequins at Twickenham Stoop, 3.00pm (Cup)

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 23-20 Montpellier (!!!)

From Sierra Leone to Teeside...
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 13:21
Now all or Kushe...

I have been back in the UK since December 18th and have only managed to get to the Harlequins game as I have had quite a lot on, but I just wanted to share with you what we achieved during our time in the Bombali District Makeni since I got a lot of support from the fantastic falcons family on this board.

After leaving Freetown we headed to Kenema in the East, where a lot of the Diamond mines can be found. During our time there we learnt a lot about the Post Ebola Project that we would be working on and what we where looking to achieve. The aim was to challenge attitudes and stigmas left by the ebola virus and bring sustainable Development to the most effected communities. In my case, in Makeni, these communities where Robuya & Masuba.

So when I got to Makeni and we got started, I was lucky enough to get assigned to Peace Clubs, meaning I would be running all of my sessions in local schools with the ''piccin''-children...

It did not take long before the culture started grinding me down though. Unfortunately, beatings in schools are quite common in Sierra Leone, and almost every school I worked at I would see small children being brutally flogged for things like not paying tuition fees, it boiled my blood seeing it, unfortunately, there are things much more vile and disgusting that I found out while working in the schools but won't post on here as it is very sensitive and inappropriate.

Away from all the doom and gloom, I ran sessions in the schools on HIV awareness, important leadership skills and how to take an active role in your community, what contraception is and STDS, and the importance of setting goals to achieve your dreams. Even handing out textbooks and pens went a very long way.

Away from the schools, we managed to do some brilliant development work...

We fund raised 1,300 and overseen the building of a medical center in a village way out in the bush miles away from any hospitals.

Built a dry floor so locals could lay their crops on to dry and sell, painted and refurbished the local community center and built a volleyball pitch at a local school.

We did lots of fantastic work and your money that you donated to Y Care International really did make a huge difference, for that and all the love from this board I would just like to say Plenty Tanki Tanki, Thank you!

During our time there, we also managed to cement some ramps in at a polio camp, and run English lessons at a housing camp for amputees and those effected by the war.

It was at the camp that I asked myself why humans are so evil to each other and how people can commit such atrocities, it really was heartbreaking to see what these people and this country had gone through only 17 years ago and still is now, the amount of corruption in the country is unreal, Parliament members will bribe the youth with marijuana and palm wine for them to cause trouble against opposing parties, there is nothing for the youth in SL, no opportunities in work and life, it really makes you appreciate the little things like education and running water.

The people have very little but are so friendly, the food was okay, the fufu was rank but the cassava leaf was lovely. Star beer was my best mate at times, for only 50p it wasn't a shabby beer.

Before I knew it 10 weeks had gone and now I'm back in the UK getting ready for my next big challenge!

I'd like to think I've been missed in the south stand, but after being in the North stand at the quins game and hearing the racket you guys made against Exeter, you guys are doing brilliantly. I love the vibe about the club at the minute.

I won't be able to get down as often in the future, but the Falcons will always be my boyhood club, and the fans.... well you guys are the best fans in the world no doubt about it.

Great to see us doing so well and I hope we can stay up there and maybe even finish 5th! or 4th!? who knows, bloody tight league. See you all very soon guys.

Thank you!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2018 16:43 by falconsfan07.

Re: From Sierra Leone to Teeside...
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 13:27
No joy uploading pics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2018 13:28 by falconsfan07.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 13:51
Cracking stuff FF07 - just great stuff(Sm152)

Kath... (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 15:16
Well done young man, I am sure those sights and sounds you experienced will live with you forever and make you an even more rounded person Luv kath x

JohnSt (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 16:34
Great to hear from you FF7 and great to know youre back in one piece!

It sounds like youve had quite an adventure and Im looking forward to hearing more about it next time our paths cross at KP. I wish I had done something as worthwhile as you have just done when I was younger. Youre a credit and an example to young people.
Best wishes,
John

aidanb (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 16:41
Great to hear about your experiences out there and how hard it was

I just can't believe you went and stood with the dirty north standers

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 17:55
Great to read your account of your volunteering months. You must be worn out - almost every hour seems to have been filled. Did you ever sleep? Thanks for the news and best of luck for the next adventure.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 19:47
Sierra Leone was always going to be an eye-opener. Such experiences will make you forever grateful for being born in Britain, we moan a lot but by crikey we are lucky.

Well done lad, just making it through the ten weeks is one hell of an achievement. Looking forward to catching up soon.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 20:14
Great to see you have made it back safe and well, you should be rightly proud of work that you have done, don't let the negatives get to you.
Hopefully your planning to attend the Gloucester trip we'll have a catch up on the bus over a drink.
Well done for volunteering
Dave

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 09:09
Great stuff mate, not to many people can say they have done what you have. smiling smiley

trummy200 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 16:55
I can only endorse what's been said. I am sure I speak for all in saying we have missed your infectious enthusiasm!

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 20:45
When the world around us is falling apart its people like you Falconsfan07 that restore peoples faith in humanity.
Such a selfless project to commit to for no financial reward.

Brilliant, just brilliant!!

dick g (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 11:18
You humble me. Proud to have you as a South Stand regular....wherever you stand.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 12:48
The problem you have now falcon is that you will always want to go back. A little piece of your heart will stay over there.

Ill be hopefully going back for a trip this year..to Liberia next door.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net