rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 19th May v Exeter Chiefs at Sandy Park at 3.30pm

Saturday 26th May Premiership Final at Twickenham??

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 22-39 Wasps

Interesting attendance case study released
22 January, 2018 20:45
i found this a good insight into what goes on at the club when it comes to us supporters.

[www.green4solutions.com]

Linky thingy

Re: Interesting attendance case study released
Andy Mac (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 20:57
Interesting stuff and great to see such thought going into the marketing.

I'd love to see us up our social media game - it seems to be a way of driving traffic to our website rather than a way of engaging with fans. I'm sure the clever powers that be are on the case... smiling smiley

markismith50 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 21:06
Hi lebigmac, at the recent media managersí conference in London all clubs received presentations from the major social media networks and we were actually ranked the top club in the league for engagement with fans on social media. Our fan engagement was more than double the league average.

But we are always open to constructive criticism and suggestions. Please keep them realistic with regards to budget, manpower and time required, as I am already spinning a lot of plates!

Cheers
Smithy

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 21:09
Quote:
markismith50
I am already spinning a lot of plates!

Well stop messing around with crockery & do some work man.

aidanb (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 21:20
Haha Monkey

I was reading Marks comment and thinking of some stick to give him but you nailed it.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 21:21
Ironically I read the post having just finished doing the dishes!

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 21:28
I was going to say our fan engagement is pretty good. They have to be with the ack of local media publicity. The twitter updates especially during games are fantastic.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 07:19
Considering that we don't have the massive resources of the big clubs this is an impressive achievement. Our team of backroom staff is small but perfectly formed.

23 January, 2018 07:59
Smithy = "small but perfectly formed" (Sm123)(Sm156)

Generally agree social media is fairly good. I also think that using fans to retweet etc is the best way forward as it cuts down on the work of the "webmaster" aand its free.

The one piece of advice i would give is to make better use of hashtags # as they give you a wider audience reach eg #newcastle #rugbyunited #northeast #sunderland etc it may just pull in a couple more punters but its all free.

Ps i would quite fancy a job as long as the title was webmaster!! (Sm34)(Sm42)

aidanb (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 08:35
Quote:
lebigmac69
Interesting stuff and great to see such thought going into the marketing.
I'd love to see us up our social media game - it seems to be a way of driving traffic to our website rather than a way of engaging with fans. I'm sure the clever powers that be are on the case... smiling smiley

My experience is that those who are active on social media are good at engaging with the fans but also are clear that ithey want us to keep active on the official website. This means we get info from there but also there is the ticket office and club merchandise to be considered

I think they have it right.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 19:33
Quote:
markismith50
Hi lebigmac, at the recent media managersí conference in London all clubs received presentations from the major social media networks and we were actually ranked the top club in the league for engagement with fans on social media. Our fan engagement was more than double the league average.
But we are always open to constructive criticism and suggestions. Please keep them realistic with regards to budget, manpower and time required, as I am already spinning a lot of plates!

Cheers
Smithy

Excellent stuff! Your twitter feed on match day is excellent, and if you want Smithy bragging rights I always choose twitter over radio commentary.

Personally, I'm a big user of Instagram and it's getting more and more traffic. The chronology of the news feed is a bit wonky though, so I often get a post from the club about match tickets being available 2 days after the match. And there must be some fun stuff that can be done with the IG stories?!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 22:18
Thatís a fair point lebigmac. Iíll admit instagram is a bit of an after-thought at present and we could certainly do more on there.

I find it a frustrating platform to use and am probably too much of an old codger for it at 37!

But your comment is certainly valid and received with an open mind.

Cheers
Smithy

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 04:12
I've got to agree, I think our online presence is pretty good. I like the way the club has a family feel TOO, nothing too over the top or pretentious.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 19:18
Quote:
markismith50
Thatís a fair point lebigmac. Iíll admit instagram is a bit of an after-thought at present and we could certainly do more on there.
I find it a frustrating platform to use and am probably too much of an old codger for it at 37!

But your comment is certainly valid and received with an open mind.

Cheers
Smithy

Nah, I'm the same age and I get it! Although I did start using it when it was launched.

Snapchat, on the other hand, not a clue!

I think the thing to bear in mind with IG is that it doesn't appear chronologically in a users feed, meaning time sensitive posts become less relevant. Much less of a marketing tool and more of a way of engaging with supporters, and with good content can create new ticket-buying supporters.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 20:17
Duly noted lebigmac. I find it infuriating you canít publish to insta from PC, and that you canít add links. Spend half my time emailing pics to myself.

And donít get me started on their verification criteria. Annoying doesnít even come close! Apparently there is a criteria for a blue tick but they wonít say what it is, so I have to apply for 60-odd players then try to explain why some randomly get verified and others donít. Such an annoying company to deal with.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 22:15
Whats a PC? winking smiley

The link thing, though - just pointless not having a link tag available. With you on that one.

Mind you, you have access to some great pics, so in terms of available content you're spoilt for choice.

Looking forward to what you can come up with for the stories smiling smiley

markismith50 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 22:42
No worries lebigmac, itís a long term goal rather than something imminent, Iíd rather do a few things well than do many half-arsed, but you obviously know your stuff and it has been interesting getting your thoughts. Always welcome.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 20:05
Sounds sensible. We have some real experts at work who I try and learn from (not far from your work - big glass building with a bright green sign over the door) so if I can ever help in any way feel free to shout.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 20:13
No problem lebigmac, I appreciate the offer.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 20:22
Thanks - seeing "lebigmac69" used has prompted me to try and change seeing as a) I'm no longer 25, and b) I no longer eat meat!

(This post is a test to see if it worked...)

(The poster formerly known as lebigmac69)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/01/2018 20:23 by Andy Mac.

aidanb (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 23:12
Quote:
Andy Mac
Whats a PC? winking smiley
The link thing, though - just pointless not having a link tag available. With you on that one.

I love how it is an in the moment thing. I hope they keep it link free

There are enough other formats to allow that.

Instagram needs to keep doing its thing for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/01/2018 23:13 by aidanb.

forensicpsych (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 11:28
The club have strong links to Nria Uni donít they? Why not get their social media / marketing studies students to make it a project - and / or offer such students free tickets if they participate in a project based at the club - no fees just tickets - good experience for their studies!

....and would mean club were using young folk who know about such magic and saucery without needing to rely on 37 something year old hacks whoís social media skills are becoming dated ....Smithy!! 😉😋

markismith50 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 11:35
Old school is sometimes the best school!

I see pro clubs duplicating each otherís social media output in such a formulaic fashion, and I just like to keep ours simple and informal.

Pros and cons to that, I appreciate, but thatís the route Iíve chosen.

All realistic suggestions are always welcome, though.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 18:06
Interesting that it sits with media and not marketing?

Not that any of these comments should be construed as saying Smithy isn't doing a bang up job already, btw!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 18:50
Hi Andy, in theory I'm technically under the 'marketing' umbrella. We also have Katy McGurk on marketing, and Andrew Robson, though he has now been seconded to the ticket office for the next few months due to a departure.

Plus, on away games, I'm the only person attending from that department, so a marketing person would not be able to undertake social media duties for the away games without a significant additional financial outlay.

Most Premiership clubs have a media department of 3 to 4 people totally separate to the marketing dept, and some have an additional social media editor on top of that. We cut our cloth accordingly at Newcastle and have one media manager plus the bits Andrew and Katy do, and given the resources we have I reckon we do OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2018 18:52 by markismith50.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 10:36
And that's the key "we cut our cloth accordingly at Newcastle "
We really should not underestimate what these folks do...I personally would say that you folks do more than ok. mark...you all do a fantastic job and I for one are extremely grateful for the communication that you provide on here!!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 10:43
Thanks Wensleydale. We do alright, although weíre always open to realistic suggestions. And Iíve no problem with anything that has been said on this thread, itís good to have these kinds of discussions.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 18:36
Aye you do more than alright. I was wondering how other clubs are set up. Cheers for being open about these things - always great to see 'behind the curtain'

dick g (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 08:57
Have finally got round to try and read the report. Eventually gave up before being submerged in tide of jargon. All I know is that my relationship with the club is pretty good and that communications from Hogan and Co work to my satisfaction. Am I too easily pleased?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net