rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 24th February v Harlequins at The Stoop, 2.30pm

Saturday 3rd March v Gloucester at Kingsholm, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 29-12 Bath

New role for Mick Hogan
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 22:04
Mick is stepping aside as MD at Newcastle Falcons for a while to concentrate on the planning and delivery of the 2019 European Finals in Newcastle. I have been chatting to Mick for a while about how this will work & think it will do wonders for Newcastle Falcons in the long term.

The team at KP work so well these days that Mick doesn't have to drive everything forward as he used to do, and the 2019 finals are potentially such a huge boost for our club image that it is vital to make it work well. We often moan that we don't get much attention up here, so booting us onto centre stage for a while could pay dividends if handled well, and I think Mick is the right man to make it work well.

He will still be involved with the club doing his MD type stuff, but giving the rest of the management team more freedom of responsibility while he starts preparations for 2019. He remains there if needed, but he is confident that the team at KP have the skills to take the club forward without him sitting in the hot seat.

The 2019 European Finals are such an important opportunity for our club to get on the map that I agree it is worth some effort to ensure it goes as well as the World Cup games did. The financial incentives for our club are not to be ignored either, it all looks rather good.

Thanks Mick. You've done a cracking job, now please go and do another.

Re: New role for Mick Hogan
aidanb (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 07:45
Iíd like to echo those words

Every dealing Iíve had with Mick and his team has been a good experience.

It didnít seem coincidence that the clubs fortunes off the field started to improve when he returned to the club.

In his first spell at the club it was a similar experience for me and a perfect example of that was when the falcons were in the tetley bitter cup final and my role at Jarrovians was to by 50 tickets for the game. Mick sorted the bus out for us and we got picked up at Jarrovians instead of up in Newcastle. Just top class experience

Thanks mick and Iím glad you are staying around.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 08:08
Does this move mean Mick is no longer employed by the club?

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 08:20
Thanks Mick. You've done a cracking job, now please go and do another. +1 (Sm152)

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 09:07
He has done a great job, good luck to him. smiling smiley

markismith50 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 11:06
Cantab, no, it does not mean that.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 11:19
Thanks for the clarification Smithy. Whilst it's good of Monkey as ever to post positively, it seemed an unusual way to announce things. There's so many good things going on at the club currently, I really hope we qualify for the Champions Cup next season. It will really help spread NE interest in the Falcons and rugby in general.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 12:22
Shouldnít this have been a press release from the club?
Itís good for Mick but I hope once heís finished the 2018 project he comes back full time as heís done a fanastic job

Horus (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 15:26
Top bloke and Falcons asset !

Kath... (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 15:28
Brilliant news the best man for the job. Good Luck Mick!

But I hope you will keep us all posted maybe with a newsletter or something as to how the 2019 European Finals arangements etc., are coming along.

Do you know I can't remember too much about this now are they going to be at St James's Park?

I can't remember at all.

best wishes Kathsmileys with beer

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 19:16
Bit of a weird way to announce it but can see this working well on a commercial level.

Mick has always been straightforward in his manner, sometimes to a fault, but the success he's earned at KP is clear.

Best of luck to him!

Kath... (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 11:28
I don't understand why Monkey's post has not been read properly!!

Mick is not leaving, he is not moving on, all he is doing is taking on another role/extra work within the organisation.

Just as many people do at work. He is overseeing this venture but can't do everything else so others have to step up to the plate.

As for announcements my guess Monkey being involved with the supporters club has just asked a simple question is there any news etc., and Mick has said oh I am taking the task of heading up the European Champ., etc., Monkey would no doubt have asked if he could let the fans know on the website, in particular as to why Mick might not be around etc., to answer questions.

Most companies might announce this internally and send emails to those involved as to who to contact etc., But a press announcement really!!!!

He is still MD, he will be still working for Falcons just taking on extra work (poor soul)grinning smiley that's what happens when you are goodwinking smiley

markismith50 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 11:29
Just to clarify, this was announced internally to staff a week or two ago, and it was not felt necessary to make a media statement.

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 12:07
Quote:
Kath...
He is still MD, he will be still working for Falcons just taking on extra work (poor soul)grinning smiley that's what happens when you are goodwinking smiley

He has said publicly he has stepped down as MD.

He will be around doing some of the role but the management team will be stepping up into some of his role as well.

Kath... (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 14:09
Quote:
Mick is stepping aside as MD at Newcastle Falcons

Quote:
He will still be involved with the club doing his MD type stuff, but giving the rest of the management team more freedom of responsibility while he starts preparations for 2019. He remains there if needed

just saying likewinking smiley

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 08:27
Quote:
lebigmac69
Bit of a weird way to announce it...

It wasn't announced at all, Mick didn't want to make a big thing of it. I just thought folks would like to know & thought it only right to praise Mick for the superb job that he has dome with Semore & the rest of the team over the last few years.

26 January, 2018 08:55
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
lebigmac69

It wasn't announced at all, Mick didn't want to make a big thing of it. I just thought folks would like to know & thought it only right to praise Mick for the superb job that he has dome with Semore & the rest of the team over the last few years.
Quite right too(Sm128)

toonaew (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 09:08
Daft question - after Mick has done his magic on the 2019 bid, I assume he will be coming back as MD?

toonaew (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 09:08
Daft question - after Mick has done his magic on the 2019 bid, I assume he will be coming back as MD?

aidanb (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 10:56
Quote:
toonaew

that's an assumption all of us are making but I doubt they will be talking about in public as many gallons will flow under the bridge before that date

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 11:24
This is supposed to be top secret but, well you've managed to get it out of me. Mick's next project is to get the London double-headers at the first weekend of the Premiership season, changed to the Newcastle Double-headers.

I think it is a project that has legs.

26 January, 2018 13:09
Quote:
Monkey1
This is supposed to be top secret but, well you've managed to get it out of me. Mick's next project is to get the London double-headers at the first weekend of the Premiership season, changed to the Newcastle Double-headers.
I think it is a project that has legs.

If he pulls that off he'll be sorting out a new middle-east peace process for an encore!

Kath... (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 13:21
You know I don't see why we always as fans have the right to know everything! IMHO Maybe we should just enjoy the moment in the here and now.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 19:59
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
lebigmac69

Totally agree - and it's because he's done such a fine job I thought it was a weird way to announce it. If Deano's mate popped up on here and told us he'll be doing more U20's stuff from now on I'd also think it's weird.

Just a tuppence worth, others have different views and that's cool smileys with beer

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 20:05
I agree with you LBM. If you hear Mick talking about the opportunities that 2019 has for our club if it all goes well, he is bursting with enthusiasm, and you would imagine him singing it from the roof tops. Maybe he just doesn't like the limelight for himself.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 20:11
I'm going to choose not to imagine Mick singing, thanks.(Sm8)

aidanb (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 23:17
Letís face it

Mick doing the whole cup finals thing etc. Is naive for the club.

Losing cash each year as a Prem team tells us we will be gone soon enough.

Doing cup finals and big weekends etc is the only way this club can survive.

So mick doing this is all about the club staying in business and itís what an M.D. should do. Set his team up to run the bread and butter and then do and bring in the honey

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 07:07
The financial incentive is strong, but if you get the chance to talk to Mick about it, his enthusiasm for events like this is built on the exposure that we get as a result, the way it raises the profile of the club. Rugby clubs have a massive profile in established places such as Bath, Bristol, Leicester & Northampton. We don't have that level of identity.

Mick's aim is to change this, so if you mention Newcastle to somebody, they don't just immediately think of Newcastle United, they think of Newcastle Falcons too. That's the big prize that we could take from this, not some short-term cash incentive, and that's why Mick & Semore have put in so much work to get us nominated to host the event.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net