rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 16 December v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Sunday 23 December v Gloucester Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Edinburgh Rugby 31-13 Newcastle Falcons

Deans 5 year plan
Robs (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 19:38
A favour please
Along with many others I attended a talk in at KP quite early in Deano's tenure.
During the session Dean outlined his vision which included having a number of Internationals in the squad.
Can anyone reprise the topic as I'd love to read it again and match it to where we are now?

Re: Deans 5 year plan
aidanb (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 22:12
Was this not the one which was printed in full on the Ronnie gill website ?

Robs (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 22:26
Maybe
Can you remember when?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 22:35
Hi, no, it wasnít that one. It was at a different talk-in and not in written form.

Basically was a pyramid diagram about how he saw the make-up of the squad.

I donít have the specifics to hand but I can say with certainty that heís a long term thinker. I see it every day.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 07:20
I remember that night, and what he was saying was more in the context of it being pointless to just go out & spend on big name players back then when the squad wasn't ready to benefit from them. You have to build towards these things from the bottom up. In that context he turns out to have been bang on the nail.

Robs (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 11:18
That's the one Mark
And I'm pretty sure someone posted the topic on this forum
And I can't even remember which year it was let alone the exact predictions/suggestions that Dean made

Robs (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 20:15
[quote Robs]Found it.It was a season ticket holders forum on 10/01/2013! and I have Monkey to thank for the following:
[quote Monkey1

Deano's targets are Premiership play-offs by 2015/16, HC final stages by 2016/17, and he sees that as achievable with current resources. He comes across as a superb man manager, and reckons a good club culture with the right squad structure is a better way to achieving this than the French approach of filling the pitch with expensive players.

The squad structure he has in mind is as follows:
3 world class players, names that would get mentioned in discussions putting a dream team together. You need these people to make the whole machine work.
7 current quality internationals.
5 budding internationals or players who have just retired from international play & have all that valuable experience to bring to the club.
25 quality club players, the ones who will give their utmost for the club week after week, very much the core of any good team.
25 academy level players, the future for the club & vital to get integrated with the squad.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 08:31
Not a bad plan, it got us to where we are now and I am happy enough with that.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:58
Looks like we might achiebe this but maybe it should have been an 7 year plan. Considering financial limitations what seemed pie in the sky at the time given our relegation may be achievable ;-)

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:35
I remember from school:

What you think will take an hour will take a day;
What you think will take a day will take a week;
What you think will take a week will take a year;
What you think will take a year is impossible of achievement.

Don't take it too literally, but we generally underestimate how long things will take.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:44
ďIn preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.Ē

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Leipziger (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:08
Most people overestimate what they can do in a year, but vastly underestimate what they can do in ten years.

Any other cliches around? :-)

pa8 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:32
Donít eat yellow snow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net