rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Season over.

Last result: Exeter Chiefs 36-5 Newcastle Falcons

Falcons v Gloucester Rugby Saturday 3rd February
aidanb (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:36
Newcastle Falcons team to face Gloucester (Saturday, 3pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Alex Tait

13 Tom Penny

12 Josh Matavesi

11 Vereniki Goneva

10 Toby Flood

9 Michael Young

1 Sami Mavinga

2 Kyle Cooper

3 Scott Wilson

4 Glen Young

5 Andrew Davidson

6 Mark Wilson (captain)

7 Nili Latu

8 Ally Hogg

Replacements

16 Ben Sowrey

17 Adam Brocklebank

18 Trevor Davison

19 Ryan Burrows

20 Callum Chick

21 Joel Hodgson

22 Zach Kibirige

23 Sonatane Takulua

Referee: Matt O'Grady

Re: Falcons v Gloucester Rugby Saturday 3rd February
aidanb (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:36

alas (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:39
Much stronger team this week. Obviously want to qualify, plus match sharpness needed ahead of next week's premiership game. Hope Witty and Robinson will return soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 11:41 by alas.

alas (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:54
Gloucester Rugby:

15. Tom Hudson; 14. David Halaifonua, 13. Matt Scott, 12. Mark Atkinson, 11. Henry Purdy; 10. Owen Williams, 9. Ben Vellacott; 1. Cameron Orr, 2. Motu Matu'u, 3. Gareth Denman; 4. Charlie Beckett, 5. Jeremy Thrush (capt); 6. Gareth Evans, 7. Will Safe, Ben Morgan

Replacements:

16. Richard Hibbard, 17. Paddy McAllister, 18. Ciaran Knight, 19. Tom Denton, 20. Aaron Hinkley, 21. Callum Braley, 22. Elliott Creed, 23. Tom Seabrook

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 12:14
Stronger team than I thought it would be, looking forward to it. smiling smiley

Osric (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 17:13
Two good teams. Excellent. Can't wait.

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 23:04
With Bath getting 5 points tonight - Gloucester can't now qualify. We still really need to get 5 points to put the pressure on Leicester who would need to then score a bucketful of points to stand any chance of overtaking us.

Onwards and Upwards!

alas (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 23:56
5 points should also give the Falcons a home tie if they can stay ahead of Leicester.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 00:01
Alas, the Exeter game could scupper a home semi if they score big against Sarries. Not that we are taking a 5-pointer for granted in our own game of course.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 08:37
The sensible thing for Gloucester to do, seeing that there is no point in winning this game, is to instruct players not to get injured, so no hard tackles, no silly running about, gentle in the scrums, and generally to take it easy.

I think it would be a sensible policy.
(Sm160)

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 12:19
I agree with Monkey - I'd even suggest they play touch rugby (Sm14)

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 12:51
Interesting to see mavinga starting...

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 13:25
That backline is exciting. I've liked the look of Tom Penny whenever I've seen him.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 17:31
Quite a scrappy game I thought, probably not helped by the atmosphere being like a training game for large parts. I thought both Wilsons, Goneva and Hogg had canby games, Latu seemed quiet and though I often defend Micky Young I didn't think he had the best game. We lacked composure sometimes maybe, playing too quickly rathee than making sure where tthe best option was.

Job done though, should be a home semi-final unless Leicester and/or Exeter pull off a very big win.

Otter Supper (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 18:20
Quote:
Leipziger
Job done though, should be a home semi-final unless Leicester and/or Exeter pull off a very big win.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but is you Falcons who will be making the long trip down to Sandy Park in March due to us scoring 7 tries to your 4 meaning that we pipped you to the 2nd home semi by 1 try.

Good luck for the rest of the season, except in March, and hope you make top 6 this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 18:25 by Otter Supper.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 18:21
Unless Tigers score 13 tries in beating Wasps tomorrow, or 12 tries and win by 57 or more. In that case we are out.

Otter Supper (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 18:30
Quote:
markismith50
Unless Tigers score 13 tries in beating Wasps tomorrow, or 12 tries and win by 57 or more. In that case we are out.

Falcons will be visiting glorious Devon in March, I'll stake my mortgage on it.

PS. I have been mortgage free for 8 years but am still looking forward to your visit.

Robs (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 18:57
Quote:
Otter Supper
Quote:
Leipziger

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but is you Falcons who will be making the long trip down to Sandy Park in March due to us scoring 7 tries to your 4 meaning that we pipped you to the 2nd home semi by 1 try.

That must be why we kept playing on after the 80 minute mark.
If only that final pass to Zach hadn't been forward ! He was away

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 19:49
Great result for us sounded like a good game. smiling smiley

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 20:07
Quote:
Robs
That must be why we kept playing on after the 80 minute mark.
If only that final pass to Zach hadn't been forward ! He was away

It was..... though someone in the middle of the South Stand didn't realise it and was screaming at them to kick the ball out

alas (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 21:26
The Falcons played some good rugby, but the tactics in the last 30 minutes were lousy. Instead of continuing with what was working well the half-backs started kicking away possession. And when they did have the ball the Falcons kept sending Goneva on the same line time after time. They should have run in two or three more tries with better tactics.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 15:02
Wasps beat Leicester so semi-final away at Exeter confirmed.

05 February, 2018 16:10
Missed the game as I was away...

How did Mavinga get on?

pityacker (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:37
Personally thought Mavinga had a very good game was strong at scrum time went well at the break down and carried and defended well so all in all must have been pleasing for the coaches.

05 February, 2018 19:49
i thought Mavinga was good while he was on. solid enough in the scrum and seemed to take the ball on more than i have seen him in past games and solid in the tackle. he is still young enough for a prop and is still developing

05 February, 2018 20:42
Ah well that's good to hear.

Could we finally be seeing light at the end of the tunnel in the propping stakes with the young lads.

Mavinga, Benjamin , Brocklebank and Lockwood finally coming through on the LH.

Tight head not as promising...Welsh has been great, however hopefully Scotty Wilson can now finally get a run of staying injury free and taller TH Jack Payne has shown something to persevere with. Ilnicki is only 25 so is worth working with also.

Though my hopes of Davy Wilson returning are decreasing considerably.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 06:02
I thought It was a good game, I thought everyone played their part in particular for me Tom Penny he put in some absolutely crunching tackles.

pityacker (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 08:23
Totally agree about Tom Penny , for a young talent like Tom to have so many serious injuries so early in his career must be soul destroying but he has recovered once again and in the last couple of games he has been top class with his pace and nice touches and for not a big bloke he is a terrific fearless defender and I would expect he will be given a chance in the premiership soon.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 12:45
With Harris away on international duty, I wouldn't be surprised if Penny starts at 13 this Saturday. I don't think Mermoz is quite ready. Has Socino ever played at 13?

06 February, 2018 13:15
I hope you're right NorfolkFalcon, it'd be great to see another academy lad break into the first team and pressure the established players for the shirt week in week out.

07 February, 2018 10:30
I was also impressed with Hammersly's chip and chase that he did.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net