rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 28 September v Wasps at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Saturday 6 October v Sale Sharks at AJ Bell Stadium, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 17-24 Exeter Chiefs

Tonight’s game against bath
Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 22:14
Hard to judge how well we played due to the number of Baths mistakes. However solid tackling and some glimpses of excellence in attack. For years our threads have been who we would like to see recruited, it’s nice to be more concerned about who we can retain!

Re: Tonight’s game against bath
Osric (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 22:27
BP win = an excellent result. Very solid defence and well taken tries. We seemed to get the rub of the green in terms of decisions, for once. Olmstead at six gives some line out options. Mermoz looked good when he came on. Cooper one of my players of the season so far. Well done to all.

dick g (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 22:29
As against Exeter, our defence provided the key to victory. Fast line speed and not committing too many to the breakdown puts frustrating pressure on the opposition's attack. Eventually they cracking and we get posession.

And our subs deserve the Eddie Jones tag of finishers.

Great at this stage of the season to be concerned about our position in the top half of the league rather than worrying about the proximity of the bottom.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 22:30
Pretty much what osric said. I'd add that Young and Flood played very well and certainly agree Mermoz looked excellent when he came on.

Matavesi has been fantastic and I wasn't that Impressed when signed but I'd defo take that back.

Great stuff and what a season we're having.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 22:42
I'm often critical even when we win, but I thought that was a very good win tonight.

I'm actually disappointed they scored the tries they did as they barely threatened all night.

Calum Green really is a monster for us in that engine room. No wonder Dean rates him so highly. And yet he's one of the least talked about players in the team. The mountain of work he gets through and a powerhouse in there.

Olmstead had a good one aswell as did most of the team to be fair.

Mermoz had a massive impact off the bench.

16 February, 2018 22:54
fantastic to get the win. i was surprised at how poor bath player it was so very one dimensional.

up to 5th at time of posting and looking good. players to come back into the squad as well at an important time of the season,

Dare we dream? top 4? its not impossible!

when was the last time in a prem match falcons could spend the last 15 mins just having fun and throwing the ball around? great to see.

ps scrum was solid as well (Sm128)

aidanb (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:09
Matavesi would have been my mortm until they took him off and thus that option was denied him

Flood was excellent.

Mermoze is a tantalising prospect. Likes to collide and is a genuine attacking threat with pace, power and composure.

Cooper is top class and his game is excellent for us.
Missed Evan on the wing tonight but he had a cracking game doing the job he needed to be doing.
Latu is all commitment and a classy act but it’s still Hoggy for me in the forwards. A stretch limousine of a back row player.

slimjimmy (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:25
Good solid win tonight . Congrats to all the players. I wasn’t too confident pre match with 2 veterans and a winger making up our back row but they all played well. Unbelievably Alex Tait spilt an opposition kick, can’t remember the last time he did that, he’s so reliable. Everyone contributed to achieving a professional win and making the opposition look toothless. The challenge now is to push on from comfortable mid table to threaten the upper reaches of the league. We can do it. Very exciting times...

aidanb (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:44
Loved how we had 16 on the field for a moment or two

Hodgson came on and flood moved to 12
Matavesi went off and mermoze came on.
Harris moved to 13.5

Sinoti must have been thinking he would never see the ball.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2018 07:38 by aidanb.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:49
Great performance tonight. First half we capitalised on multiple Bath errors, got the big lead and in the second half we really strangled the game. We played like pythons. Although they had a lot of possession we didn't really allow them to do anything with it. It did feel all to easy though, as Deano said we didn't have to get out of 2/3 gear and could have scored a few more tries.

Kyle Cooper. What a man. Feared the worst when they stopped the game for his injury. One of the most underrated hookers in the Premiership? He's got everything. I'd expect him to be a top candidate for our player of the season.

Toby Flood had his best game since joining. He's growing into the role now he has had time to understand our systems. It also helps that he is occasionally running with the ball which is keeping defences honest. And some people genuinely thought he could be Delany number 2.

I had the same thought as Dick in regards to the finishers off the bench. The likes of Hodgson, Mermoz, Lockwood, Takelua always bring energy off the bench.

Maxine Mermoz showed what he is capable of. He has that 'je ne sais quoi' about him. I hope that he is given a first start next weekend if Harris is called back up by Scotland.

I hope the injuries to Wilson, Welch and Graham aren't too serious. Although we are performing without them, they are the cornerstones of our team and we only play better when they are on the pitch.

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:50
well, we can't be worse than 5th in the table!! The Glos game is going to be a biggy!!

Onwards and Upwards!

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 23:54
Solid team performance tonight with some superb attacking play at times!!
Put the game to bed by half time and then seemed to play within ourselves in the second half (that's not a criticism)
Extremely difficult to give a MOM but I have to say the impact that Toby Flood is having now he's settled in is not to be underestimated!!
Really going to enjoy my weekend now...👌

alas (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 00:53
Another very strong first half. Dropped off again in the second half, but Bath never looked good enough to take advantage. I didn't see the Worceswter game, but apart from that Bath the weakest premiership team to visit KP so far this season.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 07:28
Cracking game to watch, it was real end to end stuff, especially in the 2nd. We played at such tempo, I don't think Bath could keep up with us.

Some great performances across the park, what has happened to Michael Young?? He's been on absolute fire!

Hate to sound like a broken record, but the scrum was pretty shocking yet again and we conceded too many pens in this area. Looked actually pretty solid when Lockwood came on though, he really should be starting over Vickers who's not up to it imo.

pa8 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 07:35
I thought the scrum did ok until they brought Obano on and after that I thought it was Jon Welsh who got penalised for popping up. Mind you I was in the South Stand and whilst I am qualified to advise ther referee from my vantage point, I could be wrong on the scrums. But I did think that Welsh looked like he was standing up.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 07:39
The scrum was pretty poor but certainly improved when Lockwood came on for me. Vickers is the major culprit tbh, he crumbles as soon as the TH puts any pressure on and makes it impossible for Welsh on the other side.

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 07:43
Quote:
pa8
I thought the scrum did ok until they brought Obano on and after that I thought it was Jon Welsh who got penalised for popping up. Mind you I was in the South Stand and whilst I am qualified to advise ther referee from my vantage point, I could be wrong on the scrums. But I did think that Welsh looked like he was standing up.

At one point late on welsh had a moan about the pen against him and the ref said “you stood up first and he followed you”. End of moan.

Ref was excellent tonight and the ref link is great when you get a ref like him talking clearly and loudly but with a sense of humour also.

Osric (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 07:55
I thought the scrum was fine until Obano came on and made Welsh's life difficult. How many scrum penalties? One? Two?

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:04
Enjoyed the game and thought that Bath without Watson, Joseph, Roko and others never had enough firepower to cause us problems.
I cannot understand how Kyle Cooper stayed on the field after that collision. He looked to be unconscious before he hit the floor and surely should have undergone the HIA process. It's a measure of the man that he picked himself up and continued to throw himself into contact.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:10
Kyle took a stinger to his shoulder, not the head. Obviously we’d have taken him off instantly had it been his head. He was absolutely fine after the game.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:17
What a signing Cooper has been, he's got to be the best hooker in the AP (bar the odd bent throw). His breakdown work is better than any English 7, maybe he could teach the lads his technique.

Kingston Parker (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:27
And don’t forget that Cooper is a try scoring machine too

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:30
Quote:
Pool_falcon
What a signing Cooper has been, he's got to be the best hooker in the AP (bar the odd bent throw). His breakdown work is better than any English 7, maybe he could teach the lads his technique.

I suspect it is less about technique and more about his size and thus lower body position

exhooker (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:30
It's hard to know where to start with praise. Young is playing superbly- far better kicks and everyone seems to know what's going on. Our defending was awesome at times and the glimpse of Mermoz promised delights to come. I admit Bath were missing some but we have got to the stage where our strength in depth is such a positive and Bath didn't seem to have that.

AJfalc (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:39
Agree with everyone above apart from the scrum, I think that we conceded 1 penalty and were solid, love Kyle Cooper. As above, Bath missing players, but for a change we were clinical when an opportunity arose and scored. I don't think we gave away any offside penalties either, good discipline through the team.

dick g (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:50
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
Great performance tonight. First half we capitalised on multiple Bath errors, got the big lead and in the second half we really strangled the game. We played like pythons. Although they had a lot of possession we didn't really allow them to do anything with it. It did feel all to easy though, as Deano said we didn't have to get out of 2/3 gear and could have scored a few more tries.
Kyle Cooper. What a man. Feared the worst when they stopped the game for his injury. One of the most underrated hookers in the Premiership? He's got everything. I'd expect him to be a top candidate for our player of the season.

Toby Flood had his best game since joining. He's growing into the role now he has had time to understand our systems. It also helps that he is occasionally running with the ball which is keeping defences honest. And some people genuinely thought he could be Delany number 2.

I had the same thought as Dick in regards to the finishers off the bench. The likes of Hodgson, Mermoz, Lockwood, Takelua always bring energy off the bench.

Maxine Mermoz showed what he is capable of. He has that 'je ne sais quoi' about him. I hope that he is given a first start next weekend if Harris is called back up by Scotland.

I hope the injuries to Wilson, Welch and Graham aren't too serious. Although we are performing without them, they are the cornerstones of our team and we only play better when they are on the pitch.

Super Cooper?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 08:53
Great result for us last night shame it wasn't on tv, like people have said what a signing Cooper has been. smiling smiley

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:08
Diamond of a bloke as well is Wor Kyle

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:22
I really do get frustrated when supporters of any club throws up the " we had X number of players missing " rugby more than ever now is a squad game and clubs have to prepare their squads accordingly.
Those who choose to recruit nothing but internationals and who lose players through international commitments know that it's going to happen, so don't, in my opinion have anything to complain about.
All clubs will have injuries during the course of the season but I feel there is a skill to managing this situation (which as a club i feel we are very adept at)
If we look at our 23 last night, you could say that we had 12 or more players unavailable but that's not the case for me as we have built a squad in which every player can do a job when called upon and all that we are achieving this season is down to the depth of the squad and the " horses for courses" selections.
Come the end of this season wherever we finish in the league or achieve in the cups it will all have been due to a massive cumulative effort from everyone involved within the club!!

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:39
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Hate to sound like a broken record, but the scrum was pretty shocking yet again and we conceded too many pens in this area. Looked actually pretty solid when Lockwood came on though, he really should be starting over Vickers who's not up to it imo.

You are a broken record...... nothing much wrong with the scrum last night...... but there again you wouldn't have anything else to whinge about......

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:46
Wensleydale, I agree completely. It seems that no matter what the falcons performance, the match result is purely based on how many of the opposition players are out. I think people just need to realise with the likes of Sinotti and goneva we can score against anyone.
It’s often nice to be see. As the underdogs but I do wonder how many games and what league position you need to be in to shake the title.
Considering how wealthy Bath are as a club I don’t feel they can complain too much about squad depth .
Equally I was at the cup match down in Bath and quite a few Bath fans were less than complementary about our performance and commenting that their third team could beat us so last night was a very pleasing result 😊

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:49
Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
Pool_falcon

You are a broken record...... nothing much wrong with the scrum last night...... but there again you wouldn't have anything else to whinge about......

Calm down princess.

Just completely gloss over everything positive I wrote.

If you think the scrum went well last night, well good for you. I thought it was a fantastic performance in attack and defence, some of the handling was sublime. The scrum did let us down though till Lockwood came on, if you didn't see that...fair enough, some people don't understand this area.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 09:54
I was just reading some stats...we top the turnover chart, defenders beaten and the penalties conceded in the AP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2018 09:58 by Pool_falcon.

alas (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 10:16
The scrum isn't as important as it used to be. Didn't stop Bath being outclassed last night. Of the best teams in the league Sarries statistically has the weakest scrum in the premiership and Wasps don't really use the scrum as a weapon either. Exeter has a strong scrum, but it really works because it is part of an overall power game, not a standalone strength.

mannin (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 10:26
I didn't see the game last night but did we stop playing in the second half as we have many times this season? Nearly been caught out on a couple of occasions.

DB23 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 11:07
Outstanding defence by us, there was no way through for Bath. Everyone is playing for each other and putting their bodies on the line, which shows a fantastic team spirit.

Goneva’s try was just sensational, very few players could have scored from the position he was in. The others were pretty good too!

Cooper’s ruck work is better than most open sides, turnover after turnover all season.

Clinical and ruthless in attack, scoring tries with almost every opportunity.

Richards was right, we didn’t even hit top gear and could have played a lot better!

eebagum (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 11:18
Silly me!- went to the pub after,thinking that that performance was our best for ages- then Deano tells us we did nt get out of Second gear!
Not wanting to single anyone out- that's already been done above, but what a squad we have now.
First choice back row missing was a concern before the match, Michael goes down injured and we look to the bench- an international captain!, Kyle goes down injured and we look to the bench-a 6 Nations International.
Congratulations to The Falcons, the beer tasted really good.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 11:19
Good post Wensleydale completely agree with you.

If you add a host of what have turned out to be fantastic signing no wonder "marquee" teams can't cope with us.

When you consider we have the fewest bonus points in the AP it shows what a great season we are having.

Timeshock! (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 12:15
It's funny what people see and take away from the same match, I thought it was a fantastic team effort, the takling and defence is simple sublime. Deano and boys obviously believe the could of done better, our performance in the scrum I believe was our weakest area in that game, however I felt so good leaving that match, a great feeling for the start of the weekend, I can not single out any one performance as it was a complete team effort

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 12:50
Pretty much what I was trying to say Timeshock. It was a massive effort in defence and the counter attacking play was great, I really enjoyed the game.

Osric (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 14:15
Sorry for being clueless but does anyone know where key stats can be found e.g. Scrum penalties conceded, pens conceded, line out wins etc etc

Yorksfalcon (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 21:16
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
Pool_falcon

Calm down princess.

Just completely gloss over everything positive I wrote.

If you think the scrum went well last night, well good for
you. I thought it was a fantastic performance in attack and defence, some of the handling was sublime. The scrum did let us down though till Lockwood came on, if you didn't see that...fair enough, some people don't understand this area.

Wow Pool, you obviously 'understand this area' better than Deano or Micky Ward. Maybe you should offer them your services.

Probably wouldn't call Deano princess tho.....

Or Bob Vickers for that matter.

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 23:43
Pool always comes across as negative but he is entitled to his opinion.

We all have to allow for this forum to have differing opinions

18 February, 2018 07:50
I've been one of the most critical on here about our scrums but I thought it was much better against Bath.

We still need some new props as both Wilsons continue to have injury problems and Vickers won't be around forever.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 08:14
Didn't we win a couple of scrum pens?

Kingkiko2 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 08:16
Is Davey Wilson injured?

mannin (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 10:03
Quote:
Kingkiko2
Is Davey Wilson injured?

I believe so.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 10:36
Quote:
Pool_falcon
, if you didn't see that...fair enough, some people don't understand this area.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion..... I'm delighted you think you know what you are talking about.... I'm equally relieved you are not coaching the Falcons scrum.

Seems a few people might agree with me.

I'm intrigued you can accuse me of not understanding this area without knowing anything about me.... you might be interested to know i played both loose and tight head....... perhaps you dont think Wardy knows what he's doing either?

Hopefully now you can bin that broken record..... princess

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 11:35
I have kept an eye on our scrum of late, trying to work out why Pool Falcon thinks it is such a disaster area. All I can presume is that the scrum has changed over the last couple of years & perhaps Pool Falcon still thinks it should be a grunt contest in which the ball almost never came out of the scrum & the challenge was to win penalties. As far as I can see the scrum is now used by all teams for a restart, and the powers that rule the game have been trying to achieve this for years, finally with success.

The clue is to be found by watching the bloke with 9 on his back. He no longer defends the offside mark after his put in, usually at the ankles of his second row, almost without exception he will now zip straight round to the back to collect the ball like they used to in the good old days.

I do recall hazily a recent home game where we needed to defend a scrum right at the death on our 5m line & we did so superbly, so when they need to do the grunty stuff they can, but quick ball out is what they aim to do & aim to defend against these days.

Pool Falcon is right in one area however, we need to sign a couple of props, as Wilson should be assumed out of it, and we are expecting far too much from the remaining lads, Vickers not getting any younger. Props need to be rested occasionally and I get the impression we are working them too hard, possibly an injury time-bomb?

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 14:26
Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
Pool_falcon
, if you didn't see that...fair enough, some people don't understand this area.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion..... I'm delighted you think you know what you are talking about.... I'm equally relieved you are not coaching the Falcons scrum.

Seems a few people might agree with me.

I'm intrigued you can accuse me of not understanding this area without knowing anything about me.... you might be interested to know i played both loose and tight head....... perhaps you dont think Wardy knows what he's doing either?

Hopefully now you can bin that broken record..... princess

I think you need a lie down CharlieDog, you're getting way too wound up pal.

As far as I'm aware, we don't have a designated scrum coach anymore with Micky Ward taking over the forwards as a collective...and what a stellar job he is doing in that regard I might add.

I disagree the scrum is used as restart Monkey, teams attack if there a weakness and we've had one for possibly 3 seasons now.

We're the most penalised side in the league and I honestly don't think we're that penalised in open play so I would hazard a guess (as there's no stats) and suggest many of these are from the scrum. This is purely speculative though as I have no evidence and I'm not of aware of any being available.

I'm not going to comment on the Bath game as I may be wrong. I watched the game on a laptop and emotions (and a few beers) may have twisted my memory. I'll re-watch the game though and I will happily take back my comments if incorrect.

What I'm not wrong about though is the on-going issue of us giving away pens and getting marched back on opposition put ins throughout the season. It's one of the few areas we have real problems as we've been absolutely superb in other aspects.

Hope Charlie doesn't have a little hissy fit over any of that, I don't think I'm being particularly crazy in my thoughts.

I'm also very interested to know you played prop CharlieDog, it's really made my day. Any more personal information you would like to add? What's your favourite colour? Do you prefer Indian or Chinese? Mine is blue and I'm more of Indian kinda guy, the hotter the curry the better!

upwardonward (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 14:38
A Super performance and 5 points in the bank.
My MOM was Kyle Cooper yet again for me.
I did think the Bath conditioning coach must be feeding some of them deep fried Mars bars.
Was it just me who thought some of those guys were a little bit on the heavy side?
Great team spirit.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 17:45
Always a tough call for MoM but with flood converting, scoring a try and tackling well probably deserved. Kyle was excellent and stood out amongst a team of good performances. Equally there seems to be a different attitude amongst the team. Previously when we conceded points the heads went down, whereas now they seem angry at conceding at go straight back at the team. Defensively they chuck the kitchen sink at the opposition and conditioning of the guys seems excellent. The work rate in the last ten is the same as the first ten. Also generally (though not necessarily) , conditioning can result in less injuries. Last night bath lost a couple but we seemed to do pretty well.

dick g (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 17:50
Can the grumbling arguers on this thread please put their handbags away. It is all getting a shade tiresome.

18 February, 2018 18:26
We need more characters like Kyle Cooper. Wouldn't mind an abrasive lock/prop from SA.

Osric (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 20:09
Can anyone answer my question re stats? I noticed that the BT Sports lot seem to be able to rate teams re scrums, lineours etc. What stats are they using?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 20:18
Opta, plus they have their own stats guy

aidanb (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 20:29
Quote:
dick g
Can the grumbling arguers on this thread please put their handbags away. It is all getting a shade tiresome.

As Smithy senior would say - the Radleys are out.

And yes I hope they put them back in

pa8 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 21:05
Quote:
Osric
Can anyone answer my question re stats? I noticed that the BT Sports lot seem to be able to rate teams re scrums, lineours etc. What stats are they using?

ESPN have a decent stats page for games. According to them we won all our scrums whilst Bath lost two of theirs. Rob Vickers didn’t get penalised whilst Jon Welsh got pinged four times. We gave away one free kick which I think was for an early engage or pushing too soon.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 21:27
Quote:
pa8
Quote:
Osric

ESPN have a decent stats page for games. According to them we won all our scrums whilst Bath lost two of theirs. Rob Vickers didn’t get penalised whilst Jon Welsh got pinged four times. We gave away one free kick which I think was for an early engage or pushing too soon.

Lies, damned lies and statistics........🤣

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 08:00
I knew Davey Wilson is injured but is Scott Wilson injured again?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 08:19
Davey isn’t too far away, Scott has been ill the past 2 weeks, not injured

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 09:10
Really solid performance I couldn't care less who the opposition did or didn't have available - not our problem - Just Win Baby!

FFL (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 10:11
Although Alex Tait played the full 80, I have since seen him in a moon boot so wouldn't expect him to be playing this Saturday at Quins.

19 February, 2018 10:25
That's a real shame, Tait had a very good game at full back and I rate him as our best full back.

Who would play at full back if Tait and Hammersley are both injured?

19 February, 2018 11:33
Stats don't always show the full story.

Zach Mercer got in the times team of the week....yet I personally thought he was pretty ineffective, bar two big runs right at the end of the game.

23 carries, 84 metres, 7 defenders beaten, 12 tackles made 100% completion rate.

Yet most of those meters and defenders beaten came from the two big carries at the end of the game.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 12:04
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
That's a real shame, Tait had a very good game at full back and I rate him as our best full back.
Who would play at full back if Tait and Hammersley are both injured?

Possibly Joel, what about Josh Matavesi - he has a big boot on him?

mannin (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 12:06
DTH?

alas (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 12:15
Laughable to have Mercer in the team of the week. Made an ineffective tackle on Flood in the build up to the first try. Did nothing at the breakdown. The runs were pretty. but too little, too late. DTH presumably still away with Canada who are playing Argentina.

19 February, 2018 13:27
Tait is one of the best FB's in the prem for me. He is rock solid, strong, has decent pace, attacks directly...
Just a good all round player at Premiership level.

Im sure we have players who can cover 15 if we don't have Tait or Hammersley.

Joel has played there im pretty sure. Where is Brett Connon? He's played there quite a bit.

Tom Penny has played 15 a good few times and has looked sharp in the Euro cup games.

Theres young Cameron Cowell who is a FB, Craig Willis has played there...

Hasn't even Matavesi played there..maybe for Fiji...

19 February, 2018 16:44
Completely forgot about Hodgson. That would make sense with Willis brought onto the bench. Hodgson was good whenever I saw him play for Carnegie at full back.

FFL (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 12:01
The Opta stats for the first 15 round have now become available and may shed some light on how many penalties we've been giving away at scrum time.
For example, Jon Welsh is the second most penalised player in the league with 22 penalties conceded and Bobby Vickers has conceded 13. I'd imagine most of these were in the scrum...
I am fully aware how well our season has gone so far and there are no complaints there. However, we must be losing an awful lot of territory during games because of this. Although, I do agree with others on here that the scrum's importance in the game as a whole is not what it used to be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net