rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 21 September v Exeter Chiefs at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 28 September v Wasps at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Worcester Warriors 20-23 Newcastle Falcons

The Rugby Paper Today
pa8 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 10:27
Fissler has Juan Pablo Socino joining Edinburgh on a 2 year contract after turning down Bath. Also on the same length contract is George McGuigan who is, apparently, coming back to us from Leicester.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/02/2018 10:27 by pa8.

Re: The Rugby Paper Today
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 11:36
Also academy prospect Carwyn Tuipolutu is joining Scarlets from next season
Currently studying at Sedbergh

Daily Mail suggests in an interview with Gary Graham that his younger brother Guy is joining the Falcons academy

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 11:37
I will be disappointed if Juan does leave
We know how good George can be, he’s made that well trodden route to Tigers but I would welcome him back for a second chance

pityacker (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 12:18
George is a very good player and if he comes it’s great news but our present no 1 hooker Kyle Cooper is tremendous probably the best in the league but strength in depth always needed in the front row.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 15:40
JPS going to Edinburgh, surely that's a side step at best?

18 February, 2018 15:45
Just read on one of our other threads Kieran Brookes is on the move from Northampton, we'll that worked out well for him. Pfffft!

alas (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 15:53
The cameras showed McGuigan and Barrow downing pints at Welford Road yesterday. Didn't look very professional. Would be sad to lose Socino, but overall the Falcons probably have too many backs over 30.

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 16:54
Quote:
alas
The cameras showed McGuigan and Barrow downing pints at Welford Road yesterday. Didn't look very professional. Would be sad to lose Socino, but overall the Falcons probably have too many backs over 30.

Both injured so not 50/50 professional wise.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 17:30
Rugby players seen drinking beer!

What has become of the world?
(Sm8)

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 18:25
McGuigan signing would make sense. Well down the pecking order at Tigers, knows us the club inside and out and EQP. Even with Cooper, Lawson isn't getting any younger (I think his contract is up this summer) and there are doubts surrounding Santi Socino's future (ironically being linked to the Tigers). Cooper, McGuigan and Sowery would be a good set of hookers.

Another poster said that the younger Graham is the better prospect, so it's exciting to hear that he is joining the academy.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:08
Socino would be a big loss and I hope he stays, as it goes for McGuigan if I am honest 50/50 for me. smiling smiley

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:16
I'm sure I read somewhere Dom Barrow is leaving Tigers at the end of the season for either Sale or the Falcons. Rather have him back than McGuigan.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:55
McGuigan could easily be another Brookes..... far too high an opinion of himself.... let's not take the risk

helmet (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:55
ditto I would have dom back in a shot

Osric (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 20:12
Of the three, I'd most like JPS. Don't think we need locks and hookers. Props would help although having Scott and Sam L back helps.

There's are some names up for grabs this term - Cips, Haskell etc. Be interesting to see where they end up.

pa8 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 21:10
When he was shown on tv yesterday I thought McGuigan looked decidedly portly. Wasn’t upset to see him go and not too fussed about him coming back.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 21:15
If Scott Lawson retires at the end of the season, George would be a good replacement

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 23:21
Surely we don't want those two back.

I shall be really disappointed if JPS goes as he has been one of the players who have helped the revival.

Getitright (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 04:49
We have Jamie Blamire in our academy. An England U20 and similar mould to McGuigan.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 07:20
Why would Scott Lawson retire?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 07:31
Quote:
skip mcskipper
Just read on one of our other threads Kieran Brookes is on the move from Northampton, we'll that worked out well for him. Pfffft!

Depends where he goes. Rumoured to be going to Wasps, who are a step up from Saints (and ourselves too) right now.

pa8 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 18:09
Another ‘outgoing’ rumour.

[www.ruck.co.uk]

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 20:05
Quote:
Monkey1
Why would Scott Lawson retire?

As good as Lawson is, he’s 36 now, 37 in September, and out of contract at the end of the season
There are not many players playing at this level at 37

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 20:31
I woudnt want McGuigan back to be honest.

We would have:
Cooper, Socino, Blamire..
I think Dean is capable of finding a better replacement should Lawson retire though i think he may well take on a role like Aly Hogg.

I wouldnt want Barrow back either. I think we have a good set of locks and some crackers coming through the Senior academy aswell.

I REALLY hope JPS doesnt leave. He's a crackin centre. But Matavesi and Mermoz are big challenges for that position now...and theres the younger Matavesi coming through aswell.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 22:00
Don't have a problem with Mcguigan - my main grumble about him was that he couldn't throw straight regularly enough.

Now they've changed the law that shouldn't be an issue....

dick g (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 07:12
Quote:
Kwa444
Don't have a problem with Mcguigan - my main grumble about him was that he couldn't throw straight regularly enough.
Now they've changed the law that shouldn't be an issue....

What law has been changed really lines out? I am aware of change to scrum put-in, but not the line out. Have I missed something?

sparkyweb (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 07:34
I think it was tongue in cheek!
There does appear to still be a lot of ignoring of the rules at line out time. It really is a pet hate of mine that the line out thrower keeps side stepping towards their team and the touch judge assistant referee on the most part ignores them (and sometimes moves with them!!)

21 February, 2018 07:35
I think Kwa is being sarcastic. I've also noticed that a lot of throws not straight are not getting penalised.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 09:17
Did I read recently that the hooker is allowed a 50cm margin of error when throwing in? Therefore, if one is really good at throwing 'straight', there's nothing to stop them deliberately throwing slightly towards their own team.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 12:14
Quote:
Leipziger
Did I read recently that the hooker is allowed a 50cm margin of error when throwing in? Therefore, if one is really good at throwing 'straight', there's nothing to stop them deliberately throwing slightly towards their own team.

I can't remember if it was Tony Spreadbury or Ian Tempest who was quizzed on this at one of the Supporters Club dos. Whoever it was said that the leeway was within a triangle from the thrower to a 1m gap at the back of the lineout. That is the allowed margin of error that is deemed straight enough, anything outside that should be penalised. That means you could lob it 50cm towards the bloke at the back of your line & get away with it, but chucking it straight at the bloke at the front is obviously not allowable.

On a similar note, the put in at the scrum has a margin of error, no matter what the laws state. The guidance at that time was a put in within an imaginary tunnel formed by the feet of the front rows. Anything within that is acceptable. Those who bang on about what the laws say and that straight down the middle should mean exactly down a centre line with not one millimeter of error may be disappointed, but there has to be some guidance & that is what it was about a year ago. It is irrelevant anyway, as even at international level, scrummies seem to get away with belting the ball straight at the back row.

21 February, 2018 12:39
Tolofua's lineout throws against us were always thrown towards his own line yet he was never penalised.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:32
Looking like the rumours of a McGuigan return are picking up speed....

[www.rugbypass.com]

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 17:02
Quote:
Running Rugby
Looking like the rumours of a McGuigan return are picking up speed....

Possibly because Rugbypass read it on this message board & thought they would turn it into a story?
(Sm105)

01 March, 2018 08:30
'The arrival of Mcguigan would only add to the euphoria already surrounding the club' hahaha love it!!!!

01 March, 2018 08:31
'The arrival of Mcguigan would only add to the euphoria already surrounding the club' hahaha love it!!!!

Leipziger (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:10
Quote:
skip mcskipper

Aye, bit of an exaggeration.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:24
Ho chose to leave and warm a bench I wouldn't welcome him back any more than I would Brookes

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 14:18
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
Ho chose to leave and warm a bench I wouldn't welcome him back any more than I would Brookes

Agreed

aidanb (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 16:42
Joel seems to be doing a cracking job since coming back.

I would imagine it is all about how he left and what his motivation is for coming back

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 18:30
I would trust Deano's instincts on this one. He knows the people involved & how the whole machine works much better than we do. Joel is a good example of bringing a player back with all the right motivation, so it could work well despite some misgivings by we mere mortals.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 19:54
Brookes get mentioned a lot but he still did a good job when he came back? Flood is, Hodgson is so why couldn't McGuigan?

JohnSt (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 23:48
Dom Barrow is a great player but is he injury prone? He missed a few games for us and has missed several for Tigers.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 18:46
Quote:
Monkey1
I would trust Deano's instincts on this one. He knows the people involved & how the whole machine works much better than we do. Joel is a good example of bringing a player back with all the right motivation, so it could work well despite some misgivings by we mere mortals.

Totally agree with this. I’m happy to defer to Deanos judgement.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 19:22
Happy to have George back if it happens, though it'll be interesting to see who leaves to accommodate him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net