rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 16 December v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Sunday 23 December v Gloucester Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Edinburgh Rugby 31-13 Newcastle Falcons

‘The Big One ‘ special edition shirt
Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 13:37
Just seen the new shirt that is being produced for the game at St James’s. A great charity and incredibly deserving of our support . Clearly a bit of fun with the link to St James’s , but given our fan base which includes Carlisle , Sunderland ,Durham , Teesside and a lot other areas, a NUFC Shirt with a falcons crest on.........really????

Re: ‘The Big One ‘ special edition shirt
AJfalc (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 13:52
I used to go to SJP for football many years ago BUT it is for charity.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 13:59
It is and despite being from Sunderland I have swallowed my pride, shamed my ancestors and disowned my heritage and bought one............bevacause it’s a good cause🤨

19 February, 2018 14:23
What does the sizing come up like on replica shirts?

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 14:27
Spoke to the shop and they said it should be a standard fit. That said I have found the ISC stuff marginally on the smaller side when it comes to fit. There is a full size guide on the Falcons shop page when you view the item .

19 February, 2018 14:34
Thanks for that. I had seen the sizing guide, but always like to check if possible, as I've been inconvenienced with sports kit in the past.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 14:51
If you have the physique of a demo-god then the tighter shirts are ideal. For those of us built to survive an early frost, it always pays to check. The shirts actually look quite smart and liking the subtle small sponsors logo.

pa8 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 17:13
Not a great fan of stripes but it is a great cause so I’ve taken the plunge. Probably never get out of it’s wrapping!

Susiewong (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 19:01
Very disappointed with the cost of this shirt. £50. I wish I could afford one, unfortunately this is out of my price range soI hope those fans who are in a financial position to buy one do so. He is a lovely fella .

markismith50 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 19:05
Hi Susie, donations of any size can of course be made direct to the foundation. Every penny counts.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 19:41
Just went onto the club site to order one and they are sold out already !!!!!!
Will the club be getting some more in ??

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 20:04
Yeah the XL is sold out already. Will more be made or is it as it states limited special edition?

Good for the charity though...glad to see the fans getting behind it.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 20:14
Response from club,
We will stock check tomorrow morning and by 10am will re-stock online store with all available shirts. We held some back today just to make sure people who had already paid definitely had a shirt. Demand has been incredible.

Surely if the demand is so high, they need to order more and keep selling them, after all is for a very good cause.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 20:28
Further response
Demand for our Doddie shirts has been incredible, thank you. We’re making sure everyone who has ordered one gets one. Any left over will go on sale tomorrow. We’re speaking with ISC about an additional order but there are no guarantees yet that it’s possible in time for March 24

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 09:15
I’m sure the club are absolutely all over the orders but when I look at the sizes they have in , XS to 7 XL, I’m pretty sure that the two most popular sizes, with maybe a few exceptions must be XL and Large. They always sell out, leaving the club having to discount the really small sizes and ginormous sizes presumably at a loss. Could we not just order 3 times as many xl and less of the others?
Also , this year the club have a great range of kit, yet no ladies Home shirt!!Now a special edition charity shirt for a game that is supposed to attract new supporters and showcase rugby in the north east .......and no ladies rugby shirt! Yes you can get thevaway shirt, in non traditional Falcons colours with no sponsor logo in a ladies style but given that the stands seem to be 1/3 female, that’s 2000-2500 local female supporters who haven’t had a propper shirt in years.
Not trying to hijack the thread which is for a great cause but my better half is utterly fed up with it!

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 10:24
Still sold out apart from extra small and small. Smithy any news when they are coming back in store?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 10:51
All remaining shirts should be online and available in the online store from around 11am today. Once they're gone, they're gone.

If we do manage to get another order turned round in time we will let you know, but as things stand the ones going on sale around 11am via the online store are the last remaining ones.

Thanks once again for your amazing support. I'm not personally involved in the ordering/selling/sizing of kits, so I won't be responding on the specifics of those areas. I'm just passing on messages as directed from our commercial/retail dept.

Cheers
Smithy

Timeshock! (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 22:01
Just a thought about shirts, numbers and sizes, you must know what they look like way in advance of ordering them, could you not take out some of the commercial risk and have a pre-order, maybe with deposit to give you a fighting chance of maximising commercial opportunity and matching demand keeping everyone happy?

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 22:29
in Fairness , I think maybe we are giving the club a bit of an unnecessary kicking over this as the shirts are a bit of fun and a nice idea given the big match venue.
I have no doubt the shirts were a good idea following a meeting and it’s great that they sold out. By the looks of it they will have all sold out. Which as a commercial gamble has paid off for the charity. If more were ordered would they all sell? Or would the profits of what has already sold be diluted by the loss made on some that haven’t ?
Tough call. Exclusive keeps those lucky enough to get one happy. And as per the article the players shirts will be auctioned off after the game too.
I think smithy often gets flack simply for being sonkeen to engage, but another positive step from the club. I’m sure the shirt will get a mention in the match highlights, win loose or draw.

21 February, 2018 11:07
Smithy

Maybe this is something the club shirt designers could take on board for the next time they have to re-design the shirt.

Im not sure the current home shirt (or that debacle of a green and grey away strip) have been greeted that warmly.

Maybe a bit of thought should be taken to design a more appealing shirt for the falcons fans.

Or indeed ask for fans to send in some ideas and work on them.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 11:23
Or please please please make a ladies version of the home shirt so my wife stops giving me grief!!!! ;-)

markismith50 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 11:24
Hi GF, shirt design is not an area I am involved in, nor do I wish to be. We do of course listen to the views of supporters as well as our retail dept, rugby dept, commercial dept and kit supplier. But I'm not the person to direct these comments to.

Cheers
Smithy

21 February, 2018 11:45
But Smithy I thought you were the oracle and the foundations of the club?
winking smileygrinning smiley

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 12:04
To be fair though you can’t go too far wrong with plain black though .....can you?
It seems the away shirts are a bit of a free for all though with last years day glo orange proving an interesting choice. This years green and grey has grown on me slightly but amazing.
I think we were all unified in thinking the green and white hoops of the European shirt were great.
Maybe having had a Newcastle United style shirt this year we should have a red and white striped away kit next season;-).

markismith50 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 12:38
I wish, GF!

MrDolf (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 12:46
I have strong views on change kits that the more garish and bright the better. Playing away in unfamiliar territory you need any advantage you can get and bright colours are easy to pick out in peripheral vision. They’re never easy on the eye but a practical purpose should take precedence.

As to the black and white, the club is based in Newcastle and always has been and it’s ludicrous to suggest that wearing the city’s colours is some sort of disenfranchisement to further flung supporters. Quite right that the club is drawing on the larger north east fan base but it is a Newcastle team and all other areas have local sides lower down the pyramid that would welcome their support if they are uncomfortable following the city. The game at SJP will hopefully draw a lot of additional support from people who have only ever followed the football and this shirt may add to that appeal as well as benefiting a fantastic cause.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 13:28
We're down to the last 2 small shirts and last 14 extra small shirts. Would advise moving quickly if you want one of these. Demand has been incredible, and once they're gone, they're gone.

Cheers
Smithy

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 13:39
Quote:
MrDolf
As to the black and white, the club is based in Newcastle and always has been and it’s ludicrous to suggest that wearing the city’s colours is some sort of disenfranchisement to further flung supporters. Quite right that the club is drawing on the larger north east fan base but it is a Newcastle team and all other areas have local sides lower down the pyramid that would welcome their support if they are uncomfortable following the city. The game at SJP will hopefully draw a lot of additional support from people who have only ever followed the football and this shirt may add to that appeal as well as benefiting a fantastic cause.

Black and White are not this city's colours - they are the football clubs' colours. For that reason I will not be wearing the black and white shirt but I will be making an equivalent donation to the cause. I have followed the Falcons and been a season ticket holder for many years and also support my local team - are you seriously suggesting because I don't like black and white stripes, I should stop supporting the Falcons and that because I don't live in the City of Newcastle I should support someone else....... just as well Semore, Mick and the Falcons don't agree with you

markismith50 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 13:45
For clarity, the only reason we are in black and white stripes is because the game is at St James' Park. There are no plans to make these the club's regular home colours. We proudly represent our whole region, not just one city within it. This is a one-off kit for one game. I hope I've made that clear enough.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 14:40
I'm absolutely gutted that I couldn't manage to buy one! Proper collectors item.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 16:25
Quote:
markismith50
For clarity, the only reason we are in black and white stripes is because the game is at St James' Park. There are no plans to make these the club's regular home colours. We proudly represent our whole region, not just one city within it. This is a one-off kit for one game. I hope I've made that clear enough.

Smithy

I completely understand the reason for the selection and that it is a one off........ but for someone else to suggest they are the city's colours and if I don't like them I should support another team is stupid in the extreme.

Never was this a criticism of the club.... which I'm sure you and the other sensible people understand!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2018 17:06 by CharlieDog.

Horus (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 16:26
After renewing my ST at KP at 14.00 today, 21/2/18, I went over to the sales counter to purchase a Doddie top, but was told by the assistant that there were none available. I asked to pay £50 and for one to be posted. Refused, and the assistant did not know when, or if, more Doddie tops would become available. Hmm

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 16:56
Apologies guys , didn’t mean to spark such angst over a red and white falcons top;-)

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 17:14
Even as a Sunderland supporter I think this shirt is a really great bit of memorabilia supporting a great cause and commemorating our game at St James park. I’m hoping the opportunity may arise for me to get mine signed by some of the players to stick in a frame.
Lots of clubs produce special edition shirts with Gloucester doing a great Remembrance Day shirt, Irish doing a St Patrick’s day kit and Bath doing one for their game at Twickenham . Of those only Gloucester did or for charity .
It’s just a pity that in the absence of a sponsor we couldn’t have put a charity on our away and European kits, especially with us at risk of ending up on a cup final

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 19:18
There are some people on here who could start an argument in a very small netty.
(Sm8)

pa8 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 21:50
Quote:
markismith50

I thought that was a given.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 07:27
Quote:
pa8
I thought that was a given.

Some people have to have it spelled out in black & white.

I'll just get my coat then.
(Sm100)

aidanb (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 07:34
Quote:
Monkey1
There are some people on here who could start an argument in a very small netty.
(Sm8)

I know, but I haven’t weighed in with a comment on the matter yet

telfs123 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 09:19
Personally I'd have the U18 team's shirt as our home shirt, the Euro shirt as our away shirt. But I do like our current home one. And this special one is a corker, as well as being for a great cause.

08 March, 2018 13:01
I've received my special edition charity shirt. Disappointed I couldn't get a fat lads xxl but I did manage to get a m size for the daughter. And ive got to say the shirt is bloody marvellous it looks incredible. A very well done to everyone involved in it.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 20:22
Gutted I missed out on these! Didn't realise it would fly out so quickly.

Ready to spend cash if they get more in...

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 07:32
Got my shirt through the post yesterday and have to say am very happy with it. I got the xxl which fits more like an xl but the shirts are good quality and the yellow Aviva patch and small IPA add a nice flash of colour. Gutted from my those who missed out but do understand commercially not wanting to take a risk on getting too many in. That said it’s oretty iconic and hope the club manage to run a few more off.

09 March, 2018 07:57
Smithy are you's getting anymore shirts in?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 10:09
Hi Falcons Thunder. No, it was always a limited edition shirt, and the response has been great. I'm not personally involved in these ordering decisions and I realise those who missed out are disappointed, but there are still a number of ways to help the foundation.

The players' shirts from the game will be auctioned and raffled off afterwards (details to follow), and there'll also be a bucket collection at the game as well as the special 'Doddie tickets' for the match which see half the proceeds going to the charity after VAT.

Cheers
Smithy

steve1888 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 13:21
I couldnt bring myself to wear one of those but we could have a Tartan away or euro shirt for him next season and I'd buy that.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 14:04
Quote:
steve1888
I couldnt bring myself to wear one of those but we could have a Tartan away or euro shirt for him next season and I'd buy that.

It would have to be really bad taste tartan, indeed many tartans that clash horribly, to be in the true spirit of the man. I would definitely buy that.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 17:15
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how many of the special edition shirts there were on sale?
I was fortunate enough to get one but just wondering how many are likely to be walking around the toon and dotted around st james’s Park?
They say the match shirts are getting auctioned off post match, does anyone know if it’s by eBay or the club site maybe?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 17:21
Hi, we’ll announce details on the auction and raffle in due course, although the man of the match shirt is via the foundation flutter raffle, as usual.

Cheers
Smithy

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 17:24
Thanks mark and hope your getting over the worst of the flu, it seems to wipe most people out for a week. Will keep an eye out fir the auctions

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 17:45
Thanks mate, am trying to battle through it. Not easy when you have an 84-page programme to write, collate and edit! Let’s just say it has been a testing week.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 18:03
Yes , but when your sat in St James’s with a 25,000 crowd watching us annihilate the saint with a pint in your hand, won’t it all feel worthwhile.......always pint glass half full as a falcons fan lol

dick g (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 20:36
Quote:
markismith50
Thanks mate, am trying to battle through it. Not easy when you have an 84-page programme to write, collate and edit! Let’s just say it has been a testing week.

If ever you need any help, you know who to contact.

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 20:43
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
markismith50

If ever you need any help, you know who to contact.

Mark said he would happily contact you but was worried that your recent use of the English language was more gruaniad than premier league.

Or he said “I would if but...”

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 21:01
Thanks Dick, happily I’ve broken the back of it, just chasing the last 15 or so pages.

Lowthor (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 23:01
Quote:
markismith50
Thanks Dick, happily I’ve broken the back of it, just chasing the last 15 or so pages.

Extra Big Fat Falcons Quiz?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 07:05
The quiz is just the usual two pages but there are lots of additional features.

exhooker (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 10:33
For those of us gnashing our teeth in frustration because we can't go, will the super duper programme be on sale in the ticket office on Friday/Sat morning?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 12:55
I believe they are selling some at the kids' festival on the morning, but feel free to email retail@newcastle-falcons.co.uk if you want to specifically reserve one. I'm sure they'd do it at cover price plus p+p (I'm saying that without having asked them, of course).

Getitright (IP Logged)
24 March, 2018 23:54
Today’s shirt should be next seadons home kit.

sparkyweb (IP Logged)
24 March, 2018 23:56
Please no!
Great one off but not for the regular season

25 March, 2018 00:25
Agree I would not want that as our home shirt...however...I would love to see the club get a few more to buy.

I know a load of people who would buy them.

Mark ...do you know if there are any plans for another batch?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 02:11
Not my area but I’’m not aware of any plans. It was billed from day one as limited edition.

I’ll stress again, I’m not in on these decisions.

dick g (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 08:49
Looking at the time of Smithy's posting, it would appear that there was a good amount of celebrating post match.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 09:07
Certainly does and impressed with the coherence of the message given how many pints must have been drunk.
Black and white stripes are a bit like marmite. Some on here forever wish to distance themselves from football. The catchment area for Falcons is significant and alligence with NUFC will not always be appreciated. The shirts were a commercial gamble by the club to support a great cause which payed off hugely. The club had no idea they would sell 30k tickets for the game and had no idea that the doddie shirts would be so popular. Next year no dounf they me a bit more adventurous in their numbers.
If the black and white shirt wasn’t for charity or for a game at st james’s Park , it wouldn’t be so popular and those who were slow to buy one off the offy website that was available to everyone to buy, would be complaining as much.
It was a great day, huge credit to everyone involved. Thank you falcons

markismith50 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 09:31
Hi Dick, no celebrating for me I’m afraid, I worked in the stadium till 2230 then worked from home sorting photos til 3am. Haven’t had a drink in 3 weeks due to the flu I am still battling.

I’m sure there were a few beers being had by others, though!

25 March, 2018 10:01
On the day we all knew what the strip was in aid of, so it was right BUT it looked so wrong if you know what I mean? I kept expecting them to play football grinning smiley

It just looked weird but great day and for a good c cause

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 10:07
The standing ovation for Doddie nearly made a big old cynic snivel. Well done Falcons for continuing to look after one of our own.

dick g (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 12:04
Quote:
markismith50
Hi Dick, no celebrating for me I’m afraid, I worked in the stadium till 2230 then worked from home sorting photos til 3am. Haven’t had a drink in 3 weeks due to the flu I am still battling.
I’m sure there were a few beers being had by others, though!

Sorry about flu Smithy. My bout a few months ago has left a legacy of Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome which has left me knackered and ruined my last ski-ing holiday. Congratulations on programme. You have raised the bar!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 12:10
Really appreciate the kind words on the programme, Dick. I sweated blood to get it done!

AndyPenman (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 12:45
Quote:
markismith50
Not my area but I’’m not aware of any plans. It was billed from day one as limited edition.
I’ll stress again, I’m not in on these decisions.

Mark

Appreciate you are not the one making these decisions but IF Falcons turn this into a one match a season deal and the club decide to have a one off "Big One" shirt it may be beneficial to take pre-orders earlier in the season.

I suspect that the design team at ISC would have a shortish lead into the next one unless Falcons plan on asking the fixtures committee to make the weekend post 6Ns a designated home game for Falcons (or another fixed time in the calendar) but a top reveal around about December with delivery 2/3 months later should not be great strain logistically for a manufacturing company.

Anyway just an idea, not sure of the reality, feasibility or contract constraints with ISC currently.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net