rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 21 September v Exeter Chiefs at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 28 September v Wasps at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Worcester Warriors 20-23 Newcastle Falcons

Team vs Quins
alas (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:09
Falcons close to injury free.

Newcastle Falcons team to face Harlequins (Saturday, 2.30pm, Twickenham Stoop)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Vereniki Goneva

13 Chris Harris

12 Josh Matavesi

11 Sinoti Sinoti

10 Toby Flood

9 Michael Young

1 Rob Vickers

2 Kyle Cooper

3 Jon Welsh

4 Calum Green

5 Will Witty

6 Mark Wilson

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Nili Latu

Replacements

16 Santiago Socino

17 Sam Lockwood

18 Trevor Davison

19 Sean Robinson

20 Callum Chick

21 Sonatane Takulua

22 Joel Hodgson

23 Maxime Mermoz

Harlequins team to play Newcastle Falcons (Harlequins appearances)

15. Aaron Morris (16)
14. Charlie Walker (82)
13. Joe Marchant (50)
12. Jamie Roberts (48)
11. Alofa Alofa (49)
10. Marcus Smith (21)
9. Jono Kitto (8)

1. Mark Lambert (227)
2. Joe Gray (146)
3. Kyle Sinckler (115)
4. Ben Glynn (18)
5. James Horwill (Captain, 51)
6. Luke Wallace (156)
7. Dave Ward (137)
8. James Chisholm (52)

16. Charlie Piper (7)
17. Cameron Holenstein (3)
18. Will Collier (120)
19. Charlie Matthews (158)
20. Archie White (16)
21. Dave Lewis (11)
22. Demetri Catrakilis (2)
23. Tim Visser (55)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2018 12:11 by alas.

Re: Team vs Quins
mannin (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:16
Very winnable. Quins are so hot and cold.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:16
Great to see us with basically a full strength squad, still surprised Sonatane Takulua is on the bench again. smiling smiley

alas (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:24
On paper it looks winnable, but the Falcons have not won a premiership game at the Stoop this century.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:37
Thats a strong team with options off the bench
Nice to see Robinson back in after a decent lay off
Points are there if we turn up

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:40
An extremely strong side. Great that Welch and Wilson are back to start. Also good to see Robinson back on the bench. He played one of his best games in a long time against the Chiefs.

Evenly matched in the forwards, but I think we have the edge in the backs and bench. You can always count on fresh energy when the likes of Takelua, Hodgson and Mermoz come off the bench in the backs.

Quins at home are always tough but we have been in pretty good form away from home.

Come on you Falcons!

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 13:18
No JP Socino take it he is injured.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 13:20
Juan is here as a travelling reserve and is fit

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 13:22
Great team on paper and Quin's are so hot or miss at the moment. Great opportunity. And also great to see santi in the 23. Here's a question tho is Santiago Socino now English qualifyed??

23 February, 2018 14:03
I'd guess Matavesi is being preferred as JPS has decided his future is away from us (not wishing to spread rumours but that's how it looks).

dick g (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 14:42
Quote:
alas
On paper it looks winnable, but the Falcons have not won a premiership game at the Stoop this century.

We hadn't done the double against Bath this century until last weekend.

WWWW!

alas (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 15:04
I'm sure Richards would have Socino in the team if he thinks it increases the chance of a win regardless of what he is doing next season. Not sure the combination of Flood and Socino works particularly well as Flood often wants to try something himself. Willis's quicker, flatter passes give Socino a better chance of breaking the line.

aidanb (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 15:15
JPS is a top player
But with all players in our squad it seems the aren’t assured a spot in the team.
Injury, form and combinations always get mentioned but what we don’t see is the midweek stuff

It may just be that as with the vast majority of players they have periods where they aren’t on 100% or even if they were the other guy is just at the top of his game.

I tend to think selection is based on what a player can do in that spot at that time. The focus is always about what is best for the team and who can reliever that best rather than what this one or that one is planning in September next.

mannin (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 18:40
Matavesi is the form man, regardless of how good Socino is.

AJfalc (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 07:41
Very impressed with the little cameo by Mermoz last week, would like to see him get a bit more game time.

exhooker (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 08:54
Matavesi JPS Mermoz Harris... we are in such a good place.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 09:56
Quote:
exhooker
Matavesi JPS Mermoz Harris... we are in such a good place.

What happens when injuries happen or matavesi gets back in the Fiji squad? The difference between the top 4 and the rest is strength in depth

Harris
Mermoz
Matavesi
Socino

Four great centres who would get in most premiership teams

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 10:02
I think we are being a bit too modest. We should absolutely win this game.
With the way we are playing and the absentees from the squad we are in a very pleasent situation where we should expect rather than hope.
Looking forward to an afternoon at the stoop.
Howay falcons!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 11:01
Thanks Pilot, that's just put the kiss of death on it.
(Sm100)

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 16:08
28-10 up!!! lovely, just lovely

24 February, 2018 16:25
10-28 WINNERS!

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 16:26
Get in great result for us. smiling smiley

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 16:27
Stadium was empty by the 70 minute mark apparently, huge pressure on quins now. Well capable of finishing 4th now!

Manau911 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 16:30
Does this put us 4th in the league as Glous and Wasps drew?

alchemist (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 16:36
Yep :-)

24 February, 2018 16:42
Fantastic performance. I was thinking it wouldn't be our day after the early try and Wilson leaving play after 10 minutes but the lads had other ideas.

What impressed me the most were our mentality. Even when we had simple kicking penalties, we kicked it into touch and applied a lot of pressure onto Quins. Even though we wasted lots of opportunities in the first half, the 20 minute period when they were down to 14 we kept them in their half defending on their line. I think the amount of effort that Quins exerted in that period gave us more space to score the 3 tries in the second half.

Extremely difficult to choose a man of the match. Michael Young continued his good form. He only made one error and was swift to every ruck. Will Welch done very well considering his spell on the sidelines, he still managed to play the whole game. Warrior. Latu's passing was very good. But I think Josh Matavesi was my man of the match. He's very difficult to defend as he can run good lines, can offload, has a bag of tricks and can kick. His place kicking and awareness gave us a great platform.

Final word on our scrum. Again I'm one of the biggest critics on here but they done very well.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 18:20
I think Matavesi has been superb over the last few months. I was unsure when we signed him but Richards & co have got him firing.

Great win - anything less than a home semi and I'm disappointed now... winking smiley

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:22
Matavesi has been excellent Great win (Sm152)

sparkyweb (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:32
Quote:
falconsfan07
Stadium was empty by the 70 minute mark apparently, huge pressure on quins now. Well capable of finishing 4th now!

I was in the south stand and it was properly emptying around 65mins. As Ff says by 70mins it was quite barren.

What an awesome win today and taken the sting off of the poor England display!

Hellequin (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:50
Well done on the win today, outplayed us throughout.

Kent falcon (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 20:32
I was in the north stand with plenty of Falcons about ,the first half we wasted 9 good points by Floody ,we had some good possession but had spilled the ball a few times,the second half livened up and played pretty good,Quins lost the will to play and fans left early,I had a good laugh at quins expense shouting there's nothing like a quin in the bin as they had 3 yellow cards,well played falcons next game st James coyf!!!!

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 21:16
Great afternoon out in the north stand at the stoop .given the penalty count against Quinn’s it could easily have been more.
A real shame to see most of the stands empty at 60 minutes. As always we defended well and look dangerous in attack. Cooper had another great game.
At the end of the game Quinn’s fans were shaking Sinotti’s hands so mural respect.
Great that the players came over to meet thevtravelling fans and got great pics of my kids with Goneva and ‘rocky’ Latu.
Well done lads

pa8 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 22:35
IG stand started to clear as soon as the third try was scored. Round of applause to the Falcons fan who took the Quins fans on singing at the top of his voice down near the bench.
Oh, and the ‘Hell’s Angel’ with the German helmet/cowhorns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2018 12:46 by pa8.

aidanb (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 09:20
was Mermoze any good when he came on?

I haven’t watched the game yet but am hoping we are lookin at a top quality player coming into form for us.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 10:00
Brilliant result, never expected a BP win, especially after we went 7-0 down.

I was looking at when we last beat Quins away in the league - it was a month after my 18th birthday, I'm now 35 and a half, so pretty much half my life ago! If we beat Leicester away (big job of course) that'd be the last long-term away game monkey off our backs.

Happy days.

dick g (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 10:18
Check out score for same fixture last year. And rejoice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net