rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 21 September v Exeter Chiefs at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 28 September v Wasps at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Worcester Warriors 20-23 Newcastle Falcons

RIP Chron
dick g (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 08:40
First win at Stoop this century. Falcons in play-off spot. Anything on Chronicle website? What do you think? What a thankless task for wor Smithy.

Re: RIP Chron
markismith50 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 08:44
Hi, they didnít have anyone at the game so their print titles will take agency copy, and they donít put agency copy online.

Frustrating, I know. We will keep trying.

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:34
Full report, post-match quotes, stats and player ratings are in today's Rugby Paper... as always. Yours truly enjoyed the Falcins performance!

Available online (for a fee of course) and should be in most decent newspaper outlets. Comprehensive coverage from around the country.

Harvs

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 16:46
I couldnít get a copy today
Have I missed anything interesting?

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:56
Quote:
Neale Harvey
Full report, post-match quotes, stats and player ratings are in today's Rugby Paper... as always. Yours truly enjoyed the Falcins performance!
Available online (for a fee of course) and should be in most decent newspaper outlets. Comprehensive coverage from around the country.

Harvs

Hey Harvs

Some of us might buy your paper once in a while if it didnít talk a load of %%^*+ on transfers.

Dave Flatman has a policy of not talking rumours on his podcast because at some point it sells a decent fella down the river when it turns out to be true - alternately it just is a load of guff

If you want to build a relationship with us fans then start selling the paper based on actual stories and reports and stop treating us like mugs who will buy a headline.

As you can tell Iím cynical about journalists.

Smithy is a quality fella and Iíve bitten at him a few times and also love the work he does. Your paper has some way to come up to his standards (in my eyes).

I wonít be allowing you a free ride in here.

dick g (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 19:25
TRP is a good read and gives our sport the coverage it deserves, but doesn't get elsewhere. I enjoy Fissler, but always read him with a degree of scepticism as you need to do with all diary/gossip columnists. And I used to be one. ...

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 20:07
Quote:
dick g
TRP is a good read and gives our sport the coverage it deserves, but doesn't get elsewhere. I enjoy Fissler, but always read him with a degree of scepticism as you need to do with all diary/gossip columnists. And I used to be one. ...
Dick G

I have loved the times we have met and chatted through a bit of our differences.

I absolutely hate the way papers sell themselves on lies. The headline is never what the topic ends up about.

Just treat me with respect and honesty and I will but the thing otherwise when they get a trip down the road Iím not gonna be upset.
And yes I appreciate that the world is bigger then my little globe.

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 20:39
You're being way too harsh Aidan. All I can say that in 17 years of writing for the Rugby Times, then Rugby Paper after we merged, I've dilligently tried never to misrepresent a player, coach or news story. In that time I've written around 9,000 articles and had 3 complaints. The gossip column is what it is... a lot of people enjoy it and Fissler's strike rate is pretty good. It's half a page out of 48. Harvs

markismith50 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 20:52
Neale is a good lad and Iíll vouch for his credentials. We deal with him regularly and never a problem.

Fisslerís recent output on us includes Goneva to Bordeaux, Deano to Saints and Sinoti to Bristol, so Iíll leave others to debate his success rate with Falcons Ďstoriesí.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 21:19
Regarding the Chronicle, here you have a real success story for the region, team flying high and yet no mention...unbelievable. Bearing in mind the website is the best way for us exiles to be kept informed!

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 21:38
Quote:
Neale Harvey
You're being way too harsh Aidan. All I can say that in 17 years of writing for the Rugby Times, then Rugby Paper after we merged, I've dilligently tried never to misrepresent a player, coach or news story. In that time I've written around 9,000 articles and had 3 complaints. The gossip column is what it is... a lot of people enjoy it and Fissler's strike rate is pretty good. It's half a page out of 48. Harvs

No Iím not Neale

Iím stating my reality.

I wouldnít trust a word you say. I wouldnít trust and never have trusted a journalist.
Your job is to sell newspapers. Thereís nothing wrong in that.

If you were a friend of mine telling me how it all works I would believe you.

As it stands, you are paid to write words and sell papers. As I said thereís nothing wrong in that

But it doesnít mean I have to believe a word you say or write. What it means is that I think every word you wrote is written so that I will buy said paper and want to buy said paper next time as well.

Tell me that Iím wrong in that !

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 21:40
Not worth engaging you mate

Daveyb (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 23:19
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story........

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 07:31
Although some tabloid celeb hacks write drivel, & investigative journalists who will do anything to get a story, including ruining people's lives are the absolute @#$%& of the civilised world, to tar sports journalists with the same brush is downright stupid.

Fissler reports gossip, and it is a bit of fun, so have a bit of fun baiting him, or sniggering when he gets it wrong. Other sports journos, well the properly trained professionals rather than the celebs who get given columns to write, generally do a good job. Without them the world would be a much poorer place, and a lot of people enjoy what they write because it is well written and informative.

If you want to fall into the trap of slating all journalists just because a minority are objectionable, then that merely demonstrates that you are unable or unwilling to make the distinction between the worthy and the unworthy.

Keep up the good work Neale.

dick g (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 08:45
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
Neale Harvey

No Iím not Neale

Iím stating my reality.

I wouldnít trust a word you say. I wouldnít trust and never have trusted a journalist.
Your job is to sell newspapers. Thereís nothing wrong in that.
If you were a friend of mine telling me how it all works I would believe you.

As it stands, you are paid to write words and sell papers. As I said thereís nothing wrong in that

But it doesnít mean I have to believe a word you say or write. What it means is that I think every word you wrote is written so that I will buy said paper and want to buy said paper next time as well.

Tell me that Iím wrong in that !

Hi Aidan,

I will engage with you. Never in my long years as a journalist was I required or felt obliged to distort or falsify a story in order to sell papers. I was never aware of my colleagues being so obliged. Our job was not to sell repairs, but to report and write on things as accurately as humanly possible. Any errors incurred the wrath of our line managers.

How do you feel about reading history, Aidan? Do you believe that? You are entitled to your opinion, but don't expect anybody to respect it unless you can back it up with facts. Blanket condemnation is absurd.

Can we get back to rugby now?

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 11:05
Guys, not sure what history people have between each other on here but the tone seems pretty ungentlemanly and not the usual for this site.
I donít know Mr Harvey but this is a site open to all and for people to raise whatever issues they want and our their points forward.
I canít imagine being a journalist is fun as you are under significant pressure to generate stories and sometimes leads are wrong.
Considering we are 4 th in the league with top players I see contract I would suggest journalists can knock themselves out and suggest we are selling the whole team and moving to the stadium of light!!!
Neale, always nice to have a different view point ;-)

aidanb (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 12:44
Quote:
Monkey1
.... a minority are objectionable, then that merely demonstrates that you are unable or unwilling to make the distinction between the worthy and the unworthy.....

you probably hit the nail on the head right there.

I do tend to lumber them all in as one and I probably shouldn't.

There have been some top class efforts by people and I should respect that.

dick g (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 12:49
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
Monkey1
.... a minority are objectionable, then that merely demonstrates that you are unable or unwilling to make the distinction between the worthy and the unworthy.....

you probably hit the nail on the head right there.

I do tend to lumber them all in as one and I probably shouldn't.

There have been some top class efforts by people and I should respect that.

Thanks Aidan.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 20:34
Quote:
markismith50
Neale is a good lad and Iíll vouch for his credentials. We deal with him regularly and never a problem.
Fisslerís recent output on us includes Goneva to Bordeaux, Deano to Saints and Sinoti to Bristol, so Iíll leave others to debate his success rate with Falcons Ďstoriesí.

I asked Fissler about this on twitter and he blocked me...

dick g (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 20:39
Quote:
Andy Mac
Quote:
markismith50

I asked Fissler about this on twitter and he blocked me...

A pity, but journos aren't the only ones reluctant to acknowledge their mistakes.

pa8 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 21:05
Neil ĎLet's face it when it comes to breaking rugby transfers I walk this earth like a god! Fissler.
Yeah thatíll be right.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 15:11
Haha thatís the tweet I was replying to!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net