rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Season over.

Last result: Exeter Chiefs 36-5 Newcastle Falcons

OT:will the weather effect the match this weekend?
Kath... (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 09:03
The snow is forecast for all week. Not sure if Glos., will be effected, However getting there might be difficult. A1 at the moment in chaos, I know it is only Wed., but we seem to really struggle with bad weather conditions in the UK.

Re: OT:will the weather effect the match this weekend?
pa8 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 09:09
Theyíve set a similar thread away on Shedweb so am assuming itís just as bad down there.

GlawsyD (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 09:16
The pitch has heated covers so should be ok.Only a light dusting of snow and travel routes ok. Forecast heavy snow Thurs afternoon and over night, clearing north Friday and the temperature rising significantly.Looks like your travel down will be the main problem.

See article and pictures of ground under cover.

[www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2018 10:06 by GlawsyD.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:46
Worst of the snow will be over before Friday, can't imagine travel will be affected 24 hours later, and the weather forecasts are now from Meteo Group, not the useless Met Office, and they seem pretty good. BBC News likes to make out that the next ice age has arrived & mammoths stride across Britain, but they are idiots, ignore them. It will be fine.

aidanb (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:26
Quote:
Monkey1
Worst of the snow will be over before Friday, can't imagine travel will be affected 24 hours later, and the weather forecasts are now from Meteo Group, not the useless Met Office, and they seem pretty good. BBC News likes to make out that the next ice age has arrived & mammoths stride across Britain, but they are idiots, ignore them. It will be fine.

Meteo Group take some of their data from the Met Office

limpopo (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:29
So do the BBC!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 17:00
Quote:
aidanb

Meteo Group take some of their data from the Met Office

Aye, just some of the data, and then they know how to make use of it, something that the Met Office seemed incapable of.

Kath... (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 17:11
Never heard of the meteo group just did a search and found this

The BBC has awarded the contract for the provision of its weather services to MeteoGroup from Spring 2017 following a regulated procurement process. MeteoGroup believes it will be a close cultural fit and natural partner of the BBC, sharing its values and vision for the provision of weather data and graphics. MeteoGroup ...

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 17:33
I might have to put on some boxers under my kilt !!!!!!!!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 19:06
Junior will be kilted up for this one too, a real mini-me.

dick g (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 20:44
Quote:
Kath...

The BBC has awarded the contract for the provision of its weather services to MeteoGroup from Spring 2017 following a regulated procurement process. MeteoGroup believes it will be a close cultural fit and natural partner of the BBC, sharing its values and vision for the provision of weather data and graphics. MeteoGroup ...

Gobbledegook! I am a close cultural fit and natural partner of my wheely bin.

Kath... (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 23:32
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
Kath...

Gobbledegook! I am a close cultural fit and natural partner of my wheely bin.

Quote:
! I am a close cultural fit and natural partner of my wheely bin.

(Sm22) me too

dick g (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 08:56
Quote:
Monkey1

From what I see on my TV and through my windows, the predictions seem pretty accurate. Statistically the Met Office has a fair record. Not sure of Meteo's credentials or how they gather information. Don't fall prey to over-exaggerated criticism Mighty Monk. Mind, I'd love to see mammoths striding through Five Mile Park.

aidanb (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 09:14
I am still concerned that travel to this game is an issue.

Last weekend I was considering a trip down.

Not on your Nellie would be my noughts now.

alas (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 10:02
Wouldn't be as blase as Monkey about the game going ahead. Just getting the team to Gloucester is likely to be slow and difficult. The Cardiff game on Friday night has already been called off.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 10:34
I think the likelihood must be growing that this game will be postponed.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:01
Iíve spoken to my oppo down there who says pitch and stadium are fine. Getting there could be fun though!

aidanb (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:46
No doubt the pitch and stadium will be okay - its the travel thats always been my worry regarding this game

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:16
Some Glaws fans don't expect many of our fans to make the journey so then think we shouldn't be considered in the decision of whether the game goes ahead or not...

Leipziger (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:09
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
Some Glaws fans don't expect many of our fans to make the journey so then think we shouldn't be considered in the decision of whether the game goes ahead or not...

I'm not going to the game (like Aidan, I was considering it but weather has put me off), but as long as the team can get there safely and the stadium/general area around it is OK, I think that's enough. Would we be happy if the Bath game two weeks ago had been called off because of a load of snow in the South West and Midlands made it too hard for away fans to get up to KP?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 14:05
Saturday is still a long way off. By then it will be 25 degrees, blue fin tuna swimming on the Kingsholm pitch. Just ask Deano.

dick g (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 14:07
Not sure if difficulties for visiting fans is a reason for abandoning games. Premiership would not look kindly on resulting clogging up at end of season with rearranged games.

aidanb (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 14:08
Quote:
Monkey1

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h46/aapierre/images_zpsayljkgau.jpg

alas (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 14:16
Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 14:19 by alas.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 14:19
Red warning has just been issued for the South West of England for the next 24 hours.
This warning advises people NOT to travel it is saying on the news.
Going to be interesting to see what decision is made on several sporting fixtures this weekend.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 15:08
Just putting a bit of context to this, a game in Gloucester wouldn't be called off because some supporters from Newcastle couldn't get there.

If the stadium and/or surrounding areas were deemed unsafe for fans of both teams, however, then you're potentially in different territory.

As things stand we are on.

Any updates regarding a change in that regard will come via Premiership Rugby. The clubs have all been told not to make any statements off their own back about games being off, it has to come via Premiership Rugby first, so you're wasting your time if you ask the clubs.

Safe trip to those heading down, please don't take any unnecessary risks for the sake of a rugby game.

We're due to fly down tomorrow lunchtime, could be fun and games (and a rather long bus trip) if the flight is off.

Cheers
Smithy

alchemist (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 16:12
My 7 pm flight to Bristol was cancelled today and Bristol University is closed this afternoon and tomorrow. Hopefully the squad and the Smiths can get down to Kingsholm for a nice sunny day on Saturday :-)

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 17:43
Indeed. We've been told to get on a bus tomorrow morning at KP which will either take us to the airport, or to Gloucester. Either way, plans are in place.

Cheers
Smithy

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 18:03
I think its very bad that the boys may be expected to go by coach. It seems to go against advice from all those trying to keep roads clear and could be hazardous.

01 March, 2018 18:10
I agree Mark that games will not be called off just becauause supporters can't get there.
My point was more to the Red weather warning which is a clear indicator of how severe the travel conditions are-will be
If this was still to be in place tomorrow I personally would agree with the previous poster.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 18:11
Gloucestershire is not in the red travel area

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 18:29
Yes, but you are not just travelling in Gloucestershire The A1, A66, M6 etc are still only partially clear. I really hope the flights are going. Even a yellow area is not good and there are plenty of idiots abroad who block roads in unsuitable vehicles.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 18:38
We should have a good idea by tomorrow afternoon if it is sensible to travel or not. I am quietly confident that the Supporters Club bus will be ok, not so confident about getting to the bus from up here in the hills. We will see.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 19:51
We had a great Supporters Club trip to Leicester, 2009 maybe in the snow, the Leicester lot thought we were mental and they only had about an inch, we had about 18.

The coach company wouldn't go if it wasn't safe so if it does relax and enjoy the day all the same just maybe make a flask of Irish coffee.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 20:01
Flight cancelled, strapping ourselves in for a long bus trip!

01 March, 2018 20:13
Safe travels to all!

Falconski (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 21:19
Neither is Consett in the red weather area but jaysus I saw a polar bear before lol

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 21:25
ďFalcon SkiĒ

Such an apt name!

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 08:38
I really think in this weather travelling to play a sports event is non-essential travel and Prem Rugby should have stepped in and called games like this with long travelling distances off.

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:06
I definitely agree with that. The boys will have a long enough journey in normal weather so what sort of state if delayed. Crazy. But TV and money win.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:14
You have to find a balance somewhere between the Blitz spirit where everyone battles on regardless. and the cotton wool mentality of never going out unless it is nice & sunny, but not too sunny as that would be dangerous. If we cancelled every game that might be affected by a bit of rain, snow or fog somewhere between the home ground & the visiting team it would be downright pathetic.

We just received a delivery from Birmingham, a big pallet of sheets of metal. People & stuff are still getting around, we can't all crawl under the duvet & wait until spring.

dick g (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:23
Quote:
Monkey1
You have to find a balance somewhere between the Blitz spirit where everyone battles on regardless. and the cotton wool mentality of never going out unless it is nice & sunny, but not too sunny as that would be dangerous. If we cancelled every game that might be affected by a bit of rain, snow or fog somewhere between the home ground & the visiting team it would be downright pathetic.
We just received a delivery from Birmingham, a big pallet of sheets of metal. People & stuff are still getting around, we can't all crawl under the duvet & wait until spring.

Today is officially the first day of Spring. So I have emerged from under my duvet. Off to Austria tomorrow in search if the real white stuff.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:51
Depends on what constitutes "essential travel". Travelling for work/business, which is what the Falcons are doing, might be considered essential.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:00
Some would say that travelling to support their team, no matter what the sport, is on a par with police, fire & ambulance in terms of being essential travel.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:12
Latest on Twitter suggests the team bus is toddling down to Gloucester without problems, but Glos desperately need volunteers to clear the stands if the game is to go ahead.

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:22
Quote:
markismith50
Flight cancelled, strapping ourselves in for a long bus trip!

One thing that has always intrigued me is what happens on the bus to and from the games, particularly if it is a long trip. Who gets up to what, who controls the music etc - would love to see some kind of website feature or player diary style video of it from a falcons perspective!

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:41
Quote:
Monkey1
I agree but it's not a "bit of" anything it is a danger of death warning that's been issued and in the overall scheme of things a game of professional rugby that could be rescheduled does not in my opinion constitute essential travel.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 13:06
Keith has just messaged me to inform us that our supporters bus is ok for tomorrow. Get in looking forward to this trip. Monkey you defo getting kilted up still.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 13:19
Hi Trebor, Super Rugby on the TVs, a lot of lads watch box sets, some do uni work, some play cards or video games. Nothing especially interesting.

On the way back Josh Matavesi runs the music. He knows the words to every song ever written and sings loudly for 6 hours without stopping. Itís quite something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 14:16 by markismith50.

dick g (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 14:33
Quote:
markismith50
Hi Trebor, Super Rugby on the TVs, a lot of lads watch box sets, some do uni work, some play cards or video games. Nothing especially interesting.
On the way back Josh Matavesi runs the music. He knows the words to every song ever written and sings loudly for 6 hours without stopping. Itís quite something.

Can't we book him for a Supporters' Club do?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 14:45
If you want a 6-hour reggae marathon!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 16:22
The team have made it to a snowy Gloucester.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 18:53
Quote:
Monkey1

Now this is just silly.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 19:13
Quote:
Davidten31
Monkey you defo getting kilted up still.

Oh yes, and so is Junior, although he will also have thermal stockings on, he is only 5 after all.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 19:24
Quote:
markismith50
The team have made it to a snowy Gloucester.

Good stuff. Any pushing required like in Turkey? ;-)

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 19:55
Well the weather forecasts proved to be spot on. The worst of it has passed, on our route just one yellow snow warning (anyone else thinking what I am thinking?) which expires tonight. It is safe to venture outdoors again across our proud & fearless nation.

alchemist (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 19:56
Check out the Falcons twitter stream - Deano shovelling snow and Dave W apparently checking which end of the snow shovel to use :-)

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 20:32
No pushing Leipy, a surprisingly easy journey in fairness

Horus (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 20:54
After the Friday evening Quins V Barf game has been postponed, partly because rail is shutting up shop,why is the Glaws V Falcons not also postponed because of road travel probs. Is it just because TV money is calling the shots ?

Horus (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 20:54
After the Friday evening Quins V Barf game has been postponed, partly because rail is shutting up shop,why is the Glaws V Falcons not also postponed because of road travel probs. Is it just because TV money is calling the shots ?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 21:01
The roads are ok here, Horus

steve1888 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 06:28
If TV money was calling hosts surely quins v Bath would have been played.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 08:16
TV isnít a factor, guys. It was due to be on TV anyway, just not in the UK

alas (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 09:26
Game on according to Gloucester rugby twitter.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 00:00
The journey there & back was actually better than usual as roads were clear & there was so little traffic.

A massive THANK YOU to the good people of Glos who cleared the snow from stands & walkways so the game could go ahead.

alas (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 00:21
I wonder if Gloucester regret the effort now. Not only did they take a loss, but the crowd was only 8,300 compared to the usual 12,000 plus.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 00:26
Comment of the day when Glos were not doing so well - Put the f??ing snow back on the pitch.
(Sm152)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net