rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 21 September v Exeter Chiefs at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 28 September v Wasps at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Worcester Warriors 20-23 Newcastle Falcons

Pure Guts!
lizard118 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:50
Oh Falcons. How I love these boys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 16:51 by lizard118.

Re: Pure Guts!
AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:53
What a win for us!, nail biting stuff in the end. smiling smiley

lizard118 (IP Logged)
These boys have made a grown man cry!! Falcons! Falcons! I've never felt so much pride in this team! C'mon

Kath... (IP Logged)
3rd in the table at the moment. Wasps might upset that tomorrow but hey get in!

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:54
I can't believe that! Gloucester scored 4 tries but didn't convert any of them?

lizard118 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:56
Quote:
AFalcon24
What a win for us!, nail biting stuff in the end. smiling smiley
You can say that again my son!! Never felt so much anxiety in my life. On the edge stuff. Oh the anxiety!! Oh Falcons!How I love you guys! Will Welch take a bow my son!

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:59
Yeah I had sweaty palms by the end, I felt overall we deserved it though so many solid performances by our boys. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 16:59 by AFalcon24.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:59
That's a season defining win. I can now enjoy the rest of the season.

DJMc (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:07
The clock didn't seem to want to move during the last two minutes.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:08
To put it in context, we are the first side to win at Kingsholm this season! And imo there is no harder ground to win at. To think the red hot atmosphere in the Shed! The abuse! The animosity! I was a nervous wreck in those last 10 minutes. Talk about going through a wringer!

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:12
The character that this squad has is absolutely immense!!

limpopo (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:16
Heart stopping for me at the end, just had to open ANOTHER bottle of wine to try to calm down, well done those bruised and battered heroes(Sm48)

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:18
It may be ghastly but that away strip has seen some sensational performances! Probably one of our best wins of the season and an incredibly gritty performance. Havenít had this feeling since our cup winning days but we could be on the cusp of something really special this season. The BT guys said we may even just have to win our remaining home games to get a top 4 finish.

On a side note well done to all to get the pitch playable, including Mr R and his coaching staff!

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:22
Why has the Sale-Northampton match been given top billing on the BBC web site?

03 March, 2018 17:29
From a Chiefs supporter.

That was a great win for you guys. Deano has made a team to be proud of, no question.

However, hopefully we will prevail in the AW semi. Our lot ain't that shabby either.

Best wishes to you.

(Sm128)

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:37
Best performance of the season maybe?
Great game with sheer determination . Gloucester missed conversions but one of their tryís was a clear knock on so it probably evened itself out in the end.
Taking nothing away from Gloucester, they played well and looked a really good and dangerous team.
Nice to be firmly in the top 4.
Real pity to see Sinotti off and looking groggy but after a big hit not surprising, hope he recovers swiftly as you could hear the disappointment in the commentators when he didnít come back on.
I know we sing Gonevaís praises a lot but not only is he a man mountain , he matched Sharples for pace......no mean feat!
Hope all those who travelled down have a safe journey home.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:45
Gloucester really threw the kitchen sink and everything else at us.. In the end I think I was more tireder than the players.. Everyone of them stood up against what was a relentless Gloucester attack. You could see they are proud of their record at Kingsholm. I have never felt so much pride in this team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 17:46 by lizard118.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
Because the BBC didn't have anyone at ours... bit strange really when you have two top 5 sides clashing not to give them higher billing.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
Absolutely brilliant. Thought hodgson was really good and, on form, micky is one of the best 9s in the prem at the moment.

I was disappointed we didn't attack line out more with Green and i agree with deano that we got bullied a bit at the contact area. Thought polledri and woodward were their stand outs.

Well done falcons. So proud as there was a lot of disruption to our team as well as the journey down.

Now, we could conceivably win all our remaining fixtures if we work hard enough. Any news on when wilson and graham are back? Sinoti will be out for a week or so at least?

alas (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:52
Cheers, Billies. No points from the boot certainly helped. I thought 8 or 9 points would be a decent return from this run of 3 away and one home premiership games. More than happy to settle for 14 points.

Underdog (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:54
Worcester fan here.

I'm made up for you lot. Your team are doing brilliantly and everything a fan could want seems to be there. Here's hoping you carry it on to the end and we see a few Falcons on the plane to SA on the summer.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:54
*copied and pasted from the commentary thread (should of checked before posting*

I'd go as far as saying that this was our most impressive result of the season. Preparations for the game were not ideal (travel, the two late withdrawals, Sinoti having to leave the field etc.) yet we were gutsy, worked our tails off and got the valuable 4 points. Enjoyed the mean streak and niggle we have developed, we don't allow easy tries and we are now always in the ear of the officials. Will Welch has really come off age in that respect. Well done all.

Hodgson had another outstanding game. We have genuine quality at fly half.

Horus (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:55
I don't want to take away from our lads top level performance over the 80 minutes, especially in the first half ,but the Saints DoR Ackerman was right when he said Glaws lost the match: if any one of their four tries had been converted, they would have won the match.

Kath... (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:57
https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28576741_1955455041135288_2492740284934832073_n.jpg?oh=29a3a58fe1fe9006832a2b9ce161f919&oe=5B4495F6

Kingkiko2 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:58
Upside on Sinoti is that we may get DTH, Radwan or Kibrige in demonstrating the strength in depth. Also has Mavinga upset someone as if Davison is the TH replacement, surely he was the obvious one to come up for Vickers

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:58
But they didn't. We didn't allow them to have any easy run in's for a simple conversation. Bravo our defence,

Ultimately all that matters is that we got the 4 points.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:04
Yet again a game is won , not because we were good but because they were unlucky and didnít get the conversions. Either every team that plays us and looses is incredibly unlucky or maybe the common theme is that we are just better!

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:06
I would also say that if you are going to play like that then you want a fly half like burns BUT there is a trade off. We have worked hard as a team to put our game together and gloucester need to do the same. They were attavking from everywhere and were a nightmare, agreed, but if you pick a fly half like that and drop tt then you have to accept the trade off in that decision is that you will miss goals. THAT'S THE GAME and that's where you earn your money as a DOR.

DB23 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:09
Gritty, gutsy win.

We are sneaking these 1,2,3 point wins where we previously lost them.

Already far exceeded my expectations this season and on we go.

We are getting better and better and the late changes, for various reasons, donít weaken the team as each and every squad member steps up and delivers.

Once again, terrific team spirit and togetherness.

Just marvellous.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:09
My point is that you need to have an all court game and having a reliable points scorer IS part of the game of rugby. Its like if you pick a mobile prop...you have an adv in the loose but you suffer at set piece time. Ditto Gloucester.

Quote:
Marco19819
I would also say that if you are going to play like that then you want a fly half like burns BUT there is a trade off. We have worked hard as a team to put our game together and gloucester need to do the same. They were attavking from everywhere and were a nightmare, agreed, but if you pick a fly half like that and drop tt then you have to accept the trade off in that decision is that you will miss goals. THAT'S THE GAME and that's where you earn your money as a DOR.

alas (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:10
TBF Burns is probably as good a kicker as Hodgson. His team left him with harder kicks, although a couple were scuffed.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:26
You could be brutal and say if you donít convert any of your four tries you get what you deserve although that would be really harsh on the Billies as they are really good players. Sport is a game of fine margins and some times it all goes in your favour. We deserved the win because we scored more points than Glaws, thatís all that matters. It would be incredibly harsh to blame the Billies, I think it would be more apt to acknowledge how well we battled. To be fair all of the BT team sang our praises.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:29
Two really good team slogging it out - it often comes down to fine margins - I'm delighted it fell our way

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:40
"Thought Newcastle were very streetwise today. Epitomised by milking a penalty when Michael Young was kneeling on Galarza and shouting at the ref for not rolling away also played silly @#$%& on our 5m scrum and the scrum at the death". - From the Shedweb site - I've been waiting to read something like that for a long time - shows the guys are learning all the tricks of the trade (Sm100)

Leipziger (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:50
50 points - my target for the season already hit! A win built on will, determination and yes pure guts, superb defence in the face of incredible pressure from Gloucester.

The last five minutes were horrible, I feared to watch but could not turn away!

So many outstanding performances on the pitch today, Micky Young was a star. When Young got the ball for his try I was screaming for him to pass to Goneva but fortunately he knew better :-)

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 19:03
I'm not blaming burns at all. He is a fantastic player but his game has weaknesses, one of whch is an erratic boot/temperament. That's what i mean about working hard and putting together a consistent game.

I am just saying that you can't say "if they'd made their kicks". They didn't and that's part of the game! Why was frano botica so important to that great wigan rl side? Farrell to his teams? Rob andrew? Wilkinson? Carter or grant fox?

Well done the falcons!

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 19:03
IF they had kicked one of their conversions, IF Joel had kicked his last conversion, IF we had missed our last penalty, IF Sir had gone to TMO one of their tries would have been disallowed for a knock on (2nd half) .....what a load of nonsense it is to make comments on the what if scenarios.
The game is played out over 80 minutes and there's numerous dynamics over that time that lead to the end result.
The " we lost the game rather than Falcons won the game " comment by their DOR is somewhat perplexing.

I'm with Bedlington.....we have become very streetwise nowadays.

We have an enormous character and togetherness and this squad just goes about their work in a very professional mannner.

What a WIN!!!

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 19:29
With you 100 per cent.

You know what? I quite like what he said because its the opposite of deanos endless pursuit of excellence and improvement. This wonderful season has been built on those foundations.

Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
IF they had kicked one of their
conversions, IF Joel had kicked his last conversion, IF we had missed our last penalty, IF Sir had gone to TMO one of their tries would have been disallowed for a knock on (2nd half) .....what a load of nonsense it is to make comments on the what if scenarios.
The game is played out over 80 minutes and there's numerous dynamics over that time that lead to the end result.
The " we lost the game rather than Falcons won the game " comment by their DOR is somewhat perplexing.

I'm with Bedlington.....we have become very streetwise nowadays.

We have an enormous character and togetherness and this squad just goes about their work in a very professional mannner.

What a WIN!!!

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 19:52
My target for the season for us was an ideal top 6. I'm quite happy enjoying the chance to have more.

The Glaws DOR has to say that to keep his players heads in the right place.

Michael Young had a good day but his service is still slow on occasion. He has plenty still to go. Thought Cooper was great.... and Hogg too.

Falcons deserved that win after the journey there. Yes we won but Glaws nicked it at our place so all is fair etc.

As to the BBC reporting .... well they are based in Manchester now.....

Heck of a won for us. Thought we'd need 3 points more on 65 mins as could see another try for Glaws. They got it and didn't convert so all good!!! Guess the bus back is an enjoyable trip...

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 20:00
Fantastic result, great defence considering we played on the back foot a lot

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 20:27
Fantastic result boys. I'm sure the Gloucester chippy is getting smashed tonight lol. And a special mention to Joel Hodgson great game well done.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 20:33
Massive Performance and as big a win as any I can remember, fantastic stuff.

Young and Hodgson have certainly silenced a lot of critics, Young was great but Probably Hodgsons most mature performance yet with some very sensible play.

Drained just watching it at home but was a position to be in.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 20:56
The chippy did indeed get smashed!

DB23 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 21:28
Quote:
Underdog
Worcester fan here.
I'm made up for you lot. Your team are doing brilliantly and everything a fan could want seems to be there. Here's hoping you carry it on to the end and we see a few Falcons on the plane to SA on the summer.

Very gracious, Underdog, thanks.

Itís so long since us Falcons fans have had anything to cheer about so we are enjoying the rugby we are playing and the results we are having this season.

Getting some of our players on the plane to SA is probably a stretch, Eddie Jones seems to be reasonably settled on his squad but winning the league would help!

Best of luck for the rest of the season

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 23:04
I have never had a broader smile in all the years watching the boys. The sheer will and determination to get the job done and come away with the win was brilliant.

The whole team were immense.

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 23:07
Quote:
Underdog
Worcester fan here.

See you in a month at your place Underdog.

ssdudley (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 23:37
Quins fan in admiration!
Absolutely delighted for your boys (despite a recent game!). Your fans are always loud, proud, and good fun, and the distances you have to face!!! Now where did you get the character, the fight, the "streetwise".....oh yeah, we blew that one! Keep fighting for that Twickenham place, best wishes.

Kraken (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 23:35
I was going to be happy with any points from this game. 4 points is excellent. The team seem just more focused and cohesive that 2 seasons ago. It's just amazing to behold. I loved the build up on BT Sport as they bigger us up properly. Funniest part of the match was at the start of the 2nd half when Mikey Young tackled Polledri twice in 2 minutes.

It's a trick...get an axe.

Kilroy2 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 23:49
Having just got back home after yet another fantastic trip with the Suppys bus.

These lads and this team are amazing.

Backs to the walls for much of the 2nd half, and boy did they dig deep, talk about dogging it out!
Every player put their bodies on the line. The back row were quite simply magnificent. I had all three of them as my MOM.

We sang ourselves hoarse, and the boys gave it everything.

This team can go all the way. The remaining fixtures are tantalising. I think this team, these boys, can finish top 4.

We bumped into the boys post match at the m/way services, Nili came on the Suppys bus, and all the boys had the crack with the travelling supporters.1st class.

Its a well worn thread but....there's something special starting to happen at the Falcons. Believe me.

I am bursting with pride.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 00:26
Awesome to read all this, it really is, thank you all so much. What a day!

bargepole (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 06:27
Very well done from a Wasps supporter, I had a small bet that Falcons would win this, and your guys really set the foundations with a superb first half. It was tough going in the second, but you put in a sterling defensive effort to resist a Glos comeback, and congratulations are due for being the only side so far to win at Castle Grim this season.

If you can keep this up, you are nailed on for top 4, and our Round 22 game against you at KP may be a decider for who gets home advantage in the play offs. On this sort of form, I'd rather we finished second and played Sarries, than end up top and have to play Falcons.

Wasps supporter and ex-player since 1964

c'mon lads (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 09:00
As for us we were heading for the sunshine which we have found in Lanzarote, landing at 5pm it was such a result. After following the Falcons for 10 years at Home, Away and in Europe we have never been as proud of those boys, third in the table and top 4 beckons, woo hoo.
Bring on the Big One what confidence this team has now.

pa8 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 09:55
Due to a family event I couldnít make this one and what a one to miss ! Just finished the recording and what a brilliant defensive performance and took our chances when they came. Well done lads. Hope everyone that made it down had a safe journey home. Get in !

sparkyweb (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:17
Our TV died last week, so yesterday morning was shopping for a new one. First thing we watched on the TV, this Falcons win! What better way to christen the TV!!

upwardonward (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 12:37
What a gutsy performance.True grit and everyone played a part.
Great team spirit and leadership on and off the pitch.
He has had an abundance of stick over the last few years but as someone else has said on this thread.Stand up Will Welch and take a bow son.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net