rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 16 December v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Sunday 23 December v Gloucester Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Edinburgh Rugby 31-13 Newcastle Falcons

Scrums
Lox (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:51
According to BT Sport today we have the most consistent scrum in the premiership this season.. Over 90%! Well done from 1 to 8!

Re: Scrums
DJMc (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 19:00
I think the coaches have worked out what works well for the team, in and out quickly with a pick up by the number 8. This doesn't give the opposition any time to push us off the ball and milk a penalty.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 19:12
Yeah I heard them mention that I was surprised. smiling smiley

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 19:15
They have been good recently but today's scrum was the best it has been for years. Cooper doing really well hooking the ball back for a quick exit.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 00:08
Quote:
DJMc
I think the coaches have worked out what works well for the team, in and out quickly with a pick up by the number 8.

One of the coaching team at a Supp Club do when questioned on our scrum, can't remember who, said what we want from our own scrums is quick attacking ball. That I assume is what dictates policy.

aidanb (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 08:28
Our scrum is a very poor attempt at the old school energy sapping and field position gaining restart.

It is a very good channel 1 and out tactic though.

I still love to see an Ally Hogg pick and go as that is a thing of beauty.

Yesterday he went and got done but the ball he set up was quick as well.

I’d love us to have an old fashioned killer scrum but then we wouldn’t get the Vickers flop all over the pitch as he gets ball and drives it half a yard.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:08
Cooper is very much the key component. He really gets stuck in, but more importantly he is forceful and diplomatic in educating the referee.

I strongly suspect his words played a key part in the free kick we were awarded on our 5m from a Glaws act that had originally been a penalty....

Horus (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:13
In the first half commentary at Glaws , I'm pretty sure Dayglo said our scrum was the best in the Prem.

alas (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:05
Statistically it is, at least on our own ball. 96% won with the put-in before Saturday's game and 100% against Gloucester. If you looked at penalties won or conceded and include the opposition put-in I suspect things would look different. But quick ball plus not making many handling errors (no Fonua helps there) is working pretty well.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 03:43
I suppose we have an EFFICIENT scrum. in the end if all you want is quick in and out ball we have to be the best exponents of that. But as some point out we wont get much change on the opposition ball.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 07:20
Quote:
lizard118
.... But as some point out we wont get much change on the opposition ball.

Erm, we did on Saturday.

pa8 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 08:09
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
lizard118
.... But as some point out we wont get much change on the opposition ball.

Erm, we did on Saturday.

And that was against a front row including Rapava-Ruskin who, IMO, is probably the most destructive loosehead in the league.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net