rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 27-Saturday 28 July Premiership Sevens at Franklin's Gardens

Saturday 11 August v Nottingham Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Exeter Chiefs 36-5 Newcastle Falcons

I thought that I understood rugby
AJfalc (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 08:13
I'm loving looking at the league table and watching the Falcons winning games, BUT 5 months ago I dreaded another relegation tussle. The majority of the current team is the same as last season.

Re: I thought that I understood rugby
aidanb (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 08:20
Same people but a season older in terms of being a team.

At the very top end of the game it is the team ethic and plans which make more of a difference.

They know more about each otherís game, how they operate within the game plan and also the pressure from below is driving them onwards to perform.

An example of this is the fantastic Ally Hogg. 3 seasons ago he was a shoe in to play, yesterday he was his usual brilliance but he was replacing M Wilson in a fantastic back row which 3 years ago would have been nowhere near as good for the re shuffle.

alas (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 08:59
Squad depth is a lot better than it has been before. Hence being able to rest the starters during a lot of the cup games and still winning.

pa8 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 09:57
And Dave Walder.

alas (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:07
The Falcons' attacking play has been good in snatches, but points scored is still the third lowest in the league. Wells's improvements to the defence has probably been more important in getting additional wins.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:35
The strength and conditioning people are doing a good job as well.

But look at the likes of dollman and jess of exeter who, amongst lots of other players down there, went from playing lower down to performing exceptionally well for them in the prem and europe.

Confidence, fitness, conditioning, shared purpose, work ethic and team spirit.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:39
Don't forget stability. Losing players & adding new ones all the time upsets the squad, player retention, especially from a young age is key.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:51
in the early days, I couldn't figure out what Deano saw in Will Welch as a skipper. Fast forward and now he looks like one of Premiership's best captains.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:01
And confidence.... You can take any group of decent players in the top flight give them a little luck and they will run with it. Take it away and the spiral down.

Look at us compared to say Saints in Rugby, or Leicester in 2016 compared to Arsenal at the moment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net