rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 21 September v Exeter Chiefs at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 28 September v Wasps at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Worcester Warriors 20-23 Newcastle Falcons

JPS set to leave
aidanb (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 12:55
its official

JPS leaves

Re: JPS set to leave
olipool (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:00
Will he play again this season, then?

sparkyweb (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:01
Thats a real shame, but thanks must be give to JPS for his time at the club! Good Luck for the future.

We do have some strength now in his position but i'm sure we will look to add here?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:02
Juan is playing for us tonight, and remains available for selection for the remainder of this season if fit. Of course he leaves with our thanks and best wishes.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:05
We seem to be well stocked at centre so out of the better players this is maybe one we can afford to lose , not taking anything away from how good he has been for us.

Still a shame though but best of luck to him, cracking player and always seems great with supporters.

pityacker (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:15
Reading between the lines in Deanos statement I may be wrong but it appears he wasn’t offered a new contract at KP.

pa8 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:21
Sad to see him leave but best wishes to him for the future. I hope Fissler is wrong with Symons being his replacement.

mannin (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:33
Symons is a good player and a different type to those we have.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:33
We will miss him but not surprised with the rumours what were flying about before this. smiling smiley

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:43
THanks to JPS for all he did at the club and good luck on his move to Edinburgh

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:48
Quote:
pityacker
Reading between the lines in Deanos statement I may be wrong but it appears he wasn’t offered a new contract at KP.

It does look that way. Maybe just too much traffic in the centres so we couldn't keep all of them. I assume his agent got a good offer from Edinburgh, and due to the quantity & quality of our centres, Deano wasn't in a position to match or better it, we do have a budget to manage after all.

JPS has been an absolute delight to watch & I wish him all the best at Edinburgh.

PS. Well done Fissler.
(Sm100)

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:49
Very sad to see him go...think he's a crackin player.

But Matavesi has been playing some very impressive rugby now that he's settled and he is physically huge aswel...

Add in Mermoz whos back now and Matavesi Jr...and we have depth.

pityacker (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:51
Agree with Mannin that Symons is a good player and at 6ft 5ins and a little under 17 stone he definitely will offer something different if he comes as has Josh Matavesi.

exhooker (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:55
I've enjoyed watching JPS and wish him well. However his future is limited with Matavesi Harris Penny and I'm sure he wants regular games.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 14:06
A big shame and very disappointed. Juan is a top player
All the best in Edinburgh
What gets me is the line ‘when it became apparent that I could not stay in Newcastle’ why? Did Edinburgh offer terms we couldn’t or wouldn’t match? Or do the coaches feel we can invest that money better elsewhere?

Either way Juan has been a great player for the club and I wish him all the best

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 14:34
So sad and disappointed to lose one of my favourite players. All the very best to JPS for the future.

pa8 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 14:46
I’m not saying Symons isn’t a good player but he doesn’t seem to play much, through form or injury I’m not sure, he’s only played 30 or so games in five years. As we’re allowing a very good player to leave I sort of hoped we’d be replacing him with star quality, but Symons might be another hidden gem. If he’s coming of course.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 14:52
Best wishes go to JP of course as he has been a great servant to the club and has always given his all for the club!!

However,whatever the reasoning behind this, it is what it is, and we move on.

falconbear (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 14:58
I’m very sorry to be seeing Juan Pablo leaving the club. He seems a popular team mate and has always been great with the fans. We have really benefitted from him not being selected by Argentina and always being available for us. He could easily have spent the last two seasons travelling around the world with his National Team and not playing for the Falcons. Best wishes to JPS and his family... and well done Edinburgh. You won’t be disappointed.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:11
It certainly seems that we have not opted to extend his contract. It is a shame but I can understand the reasons why we might not offer him a new deal. He's non-EQ, 29 (not saying that's old but it might have been a factor) and we are well stocked in this department. We have Matavesi, Mermoz competing for the 12 position with Harris and Penny at 13.

Good luck to Juan and I'd like to thank him for everything he has done for this club. He has been a great servant and has been a strong part of our growth.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:14
Like I said I would of liked for us to have gone for Matt Scott from Gloucester, if we were going to get a new centre but he is heading to Edinburgh also. If we did get Symons like people have said he will give us something different as a centre he is a big lad at 6'5 and nearly 17 stone. smiling smiley

Barrington (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:23
Until quite recently it felt that whenever JPS played well we played well. He's been a great player for us and I'm certainly sad to see him go.

I wish him all the best and am sure he'll do very well at Edinburgh. It's a short career that these players have and they need to look after themselves first. As Falconbear said we've benefitted from him shunning his country.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:20
I think we may find that the money might be spent developing another area of the squad that needs it more. Where would you strengthen? Front row? Full back?

Osric (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:29
Front row. Bobby V and Jon Welsh have done more than their fair share

steve1888 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:32
Why full back? Tait and Hammersley are excellent and have the likes of Cowell, Common, Willis and Penny as cover?

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:36
Who'd be on your shopping list? You see, even in that area we have scotty wilson and sam lockwood who are threatening to stay fit. I think both are good players, along with mavinga. Who could you bring in, realistically, to improve that? Mullan has been touted (although not sure there's much in it), lahiff? I really like bateman at leicester. Mulipola? Would they be tangible improvements?

When i think about our squad we have great depth.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:36
I suspect money had a lot to do with it. For all he is an excellent player and well liked, he is not a starter. At his age he probably has 1 possibly 2 contracts left. I am sure he wants a chance to play more top flight rugby and if offered the same money or more to do that it would be a no brainer.

It actually is an indication of how strong our backs have become that such a good player has chosen to look elsewhere.

10 years ago they were leaving because those around them in the starting side weren't good enough!!! These are heady days....

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:01
A full back with X factor eg Stuart Hogg and cover at LH and TH
We don’t need too much just a little tweak

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:20
It's hard to say where we really need to sign for next season as we don't need that many, still feel a LH should be top of our shopping list though. smiling smiley

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:28
It says something about where we are that a class player like JPS leaves and it isn't seen as a disaster.

I've been a big fan of his and am sad to see him go but we're well stocked in centres so I don't think it'll weaken our squad severely.

2 re-signings and a departure, so far; I'm looking forward to hearing about some new signings and a Richards extension next. smiling smiley

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:59
If we are playing in the Champions Cup next season we will need better quality depth for next season. We have good depth now for the competitions we are keeping in but we cannot expect the current to step up without adding extra quality. Look at how Sale fared during their Champions Cup season.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 20:31
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
If we are playing in the Champions Cup next season we will need better quality depth....

Good point NF. I think our props could be our weakness. We have been very lucky that Vickers & Welsh have put in a tremendous season with hardly a break, and if either had taken injury we would have been in trouble. We cannot expect to play full intensity games in both league & cup without risking damaging our props, they need players of similar standard to give them a break & keep them in good form.

05 March, 2018 20:57
Best of luck to JPS he was the one player in our back line who gave us a little bit extra when we needed it when he joined us and has been a great servant to the club. looks very much like he was not offered a contract according to his instagram post earlier today. he will love Edinburgh as will his family its a great move for them.

as stated above we are now well covered in his position and dont want too many experienced players blocking the way for our academy youngsters in the longer term.

a couple of new props are a must but every team is after the same. been impressed with lockwood recently and mavinga is still worth a punt remember he is only a year into prem rugby and the standard of fitness etc is well above that of top 14 he may still be getting used to it.

alas (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:23
Quote:
steve1888
Why full back? Tait and Hammersley are excellent and have the likes of Cowell, Common, Willis and Penny as cover?

A lot of decent players, but Matt Burke is the last really top class full-back to play for the Falcons.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:47
Most teams will never have a full back as good as Burke. Tait and Hammersley do a great job for us though and proven in the Premiership.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 07:10
Burke was one of those once in a generation type of players, you can't really judge others by what he managed to come up with. Tait & Hammers are excellent, and they bring different styles which can be a bonus. I am more than happy with our cover at 15.

mannin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 09:22
There are usually a good crop of props in the Championship waiting to move up. A number have already signed on for AP sides for next season.

Horus (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 10:09
Good luck JPS at Edinburgh and thanks for everything you have done for Falcons, but I hope your brother stays at KP.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 10:23
Shame JP is leaving, a very good player (I remember a fantastic performance he put in against Wasps at KP a few years ago) and by all accounts a canny bloke too, but hopefully he does well at Edinburgh. Matavesi has come in and done well, and I was surprised to find out that he's actually younger than JP, which may be a factor in all this. Of our four senior centres, none are EQP as well, so perhaps Penny will step up or we'll get an English one in over the summer.

06 March, 2018 11:32
So the centres will look like this (unless we add)

12's
Matavesi Snr
Mermoz
Matavesi Jr

13's
Harris
Penny
Stevenson
Waldouck (If he's kept on)

06 March, 2018 11:36
Quote:
steve1888
Most teams will never have a full back as good as Burke. Tait and Hammersley do a great job for us though and proven in the Premiership.

I agree.

Tait in particular is a favourite of mine. I think hes just a great rock solid premiership full back. Tough, good pace, tackles, takes the high ball. Wish we had another version of him coming through the academy.

Im still not convinced that Hammersley has really kicked on from when he broke through and got everyones attention.

I would still always choose Tait over him. But he's still improving, and its nice to have those two options.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 11:39
I must say I’ve come round to Tait, after thinking he was a bit one dimensional. Not sur she’s got pace to burn, but solid under a high ball and seems to make the right decisions.

I still wouldn’t mind a quick attackin fullback to compete for 15.

rqb (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:08
I'm of the opinion that Hammersley was initially thrust into prominence due to his flair and creativity standing out in what was admittedly a stodgier backline and a poorer team back then. I do not feel as if he has declined in any way, merely that the team and backline as a collective have raised their levels to match his, meaning he stands out less.

Tait is, and will always be - as pointed out by other posters on here - an extremely reliable and solid presence at 15 who will never let the team down. I just believe Hammersley, particularly with his more nuanced running game and greater passing ability/inclination, brings more to the side. Quite patently he is a favourite of Deano's (but probably more Walder's), as when fit he has started almost every game over Tait.

To use a particularly apt comparison for the present time, I believe Hammersley and Tait share similarities with Alex Goode and Mike Brown respectively. Though that particular debate has been settled in the mind of Eddie Jones, I believe the former fits better into the style of play the Falcons seek to attain, allied to his creativity, Hammersley is more adept at allowing the other talents around him to thrive - talents that were simply not there 3/4 years ago.

mannin (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:42
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
12's
Matavesi Snr
Mermoz
Matavesi Jr

13's
Harris
Penny
Stevenson

Hopefully Willis stays and becomes a 12 option. Like him there.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:12
Flood is quite an astute option at 12 also.

I think willis is a real talent and i hope he is given more game time. The first quarter of the season i thought he was our best 10 and i like how he mixes the game up, particularly with that clever short kicking game. Remember the dth try?

Quote:
mannin
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
12's
Matavesi Snr
Mermoz
Matavesi Jr

13's
Harris
Penny
Stevenson

Hopefully Willis stays and becomes a 12 option. Like him there.

06 March, 2018 14:22
dont forget the other full back option we have in Cameron Cowell. not sure about his defense as its never been put under pressure but he has great attacking flair and speed. hes only young and could become a fixture.

Also great to see Andrew Davidson getting more game time in recent cup/a team matches another young talent at lock.

plenty players to nurture through to the first team

markismith50 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:24
And another outstanding prospect in Charlie Wilson, of course.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:51
Interesting to see people talking about Alex Tait being solid under the high ball, when he first got into the team he used to often let the ball bounce before taking it, which to me always seemed a very high-risk move. Once he sorted that out though, he's become a very solid player.

06 March, 2018 15:04
Quote:
markismith50
And another outstanding prospect in Charlie Wilson, of course.
Completely forgot about that young lad Mark!
Yes...another talented young lad.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:42
Agreed it may be that there are some academy players coming through that the coaches think will provide good cover and deserve an opportunity while being cheap.

Yes comparing any 15 to Burke at the club is like comparing 10s to Wilkinson, and Michael Young to Gary Armstrong. Not really fair.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:13
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
12's
Matavesi Snr
Mermoz
Matavesi Jr

13's
Harris
Penny
Stevenson

Here's a question how many players on that list can honestly go toe to toe against Leinster Munster Toulon etc?? 3?? And what if we get injuries??

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:23
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
12's
Matavesi Snr
Mermoz
Matavesi Jr

13's
Harris
Penny
Stevenson

Here's a question how many players on that list can honestly go toe to toe against Leinster Munster Toulon etc?? 3?? And what if we get injuries??

I don't see the point of the question......

We are slowly building and developing a great team - we hope to get into the Champions Cup (or equivalent) for the first time in many years - we are not going to change the ethos of the club and the steady progress that has been made to suddenly aim to win it first time back.

And anyway, there may be new signings lined up?

For whatever reason, Deano has allowed JPS to go (whether he wanted to or just wasn't offered a new contract) - and his plan does seem to be working!!!

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:55
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
12's
Matavesi Snr
Mermoz
Matavesi Jr

13's
Harris
Penny
Stevenson

Well I would say first of all the guys have to ensure a top six finish so they get the opportunity, and secondly, if that opportunity arises, we'll find out.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 11:58
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder

All of them, if the squad as a whole is playing to that sort of standard. This is a team game, and as a team they are starting to perform very well. The individuals will start to stand out when the team is competing with the likes of Leinster, Munster & Toulon. As CharlieDog mentions above, we don't have to win it first time around, it is all good progress towards that level.

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:41
On the 6th January a full strength Toulon (Bastereaud, Trinh Duc, Fekitoa etc) lost away to Brive.

If Brive field a first choice team in the qtr final in a few weeks, they will get a decent picture of exactly where we stand at the moment.

For what it's worth I think we would struggle to get out of the group stages of the Champions Cup next year but we would not embarrass ourselves. Another year of two at our current rate of development and we may be more competitive at that level.

pa8 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 16:35
So would people prefer to qualify for the Champions Cup next season or stay in the Challenge Cup with the possibility of playing at St James Park in the final ?

aidanb (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:06
Champions Cup

the final is at SJP

The Challenge cup final is at KP

alas (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:13
Brive are currently in a relegation position. Think it's unlikely that they will field their best players in the cup.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:17
I think Exeter played getting into the Champions League the right way. When they got there they didn't change out the playing staff who helped them significantly.

The result, in my opinion, is while they are slowly becoming more and more competitive in the Champions Cup, they have been able to keep the upward trajectory going in the league with fantastic results.

I think the club and coaches have done an amazing job of gradual development. None of the masses of money and flash in a pan type techniques. I like most would like to see Falcons competitive regularly, I got heartily sick of the relegation battles.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:24
Hi Aidan, no, the Challenge Cup final is also at St James’ Park. We had wanted it at KP but the decision was made by EPCR. The qualifiers’ final will be at KP.

alas (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:25
I think both the cup finals are at SJP in 2019. KP is hosting the third string European competition.

aidanb (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 22:54
Quote:
markismith50
Hi Aidan, no, the Challenge Cup final is also at St James’ Park. We had wanted it at KP but the decision was made by EPCR. The qualifiers’ final will be at KP.

Great news in some respects

When did that happen ?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 07:55
Was always announced as that wasnt it ?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 10:09
Correct, Steve.

aidanb (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 16:01
Quote:
markismith50

Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
markismith50

Great news in some respects

When did that happen ?

Quote:
steve1888
Was always announced as that wasnt it ?

Quote:
markismith50
Correct, Steve.

Now you see,I must have read it in the paper that it was gonna be at KP and SJP.

Can't rely on a journalist these days

(Sm100) (Sm100) (Sm100) (Sm100) (Sm100) (Sm100)

markismith50 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 16:32
Hi Aidan, Plan A was to have it at KP so I can see where you got it from, but when it was announced that Newcastle had won the bid it was made clear that both main finals were at SJP. Glad we've cleared it up!

Cheers
Smithy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net