rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 16 December v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Sunday 23 December v Gloucester Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Edinburgh Rugby 31-13 Newcastle Falcons

H.I.A
Susiewong (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 08:36
Excuse my ignorance but in what format does the head injury assessment take place? If it is a series of mental questions, then a lot of rugby players I have known over the years would fail without having set foot on the pitch!!!! Most of them played in the front row. Enough said me thinks.

Re: H.I.A
markismith50 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 10:01
It's funny you should mention this, the test is actually pretty difficult. Micky Ward and I got one of our medical staff to give us a few of the test questions on the bus back from Gloucester, and I have to be honest, I struggled. And that was only after a can of Fanta!

It was things like reciting a long number backwards, which I found pretty damn difficult.

They seem to be working on developing a saliva test for next season which should hopefully improve things. Some of the players are failing HIAs because they're getting questions wrong, but the feeling from some is that they'd still get the questions wrong in non-match conditions.

This all of course comes with the caveat that we would never take any risks with our players' health, and a failed HIA means they play no further part.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 10:01
This HIA tool combines cognitive, balance and memory tests and is derived from the SCAT 3 recommended by the experts from the Zurich Concussion Consensus Group

Leipziger (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 10:20
Quote:
markismith50
It's funny you should mention this, the test is actually pretty difficult. Micky Ward and I got one of our medical staff to give us a few of the test questions on the bus back from Gloucester, and I have to be honest, I struggled. And that was only after a can of Fanta!
It was things like reciting a long number backwards, which I found pretty damn difficult.

They seem to be working on developing a saliva test for next season which should hopefully improve things. Some of the players are failing HIAs because they're getting questions wrong, but the feeling from some is that they'd still get the questions wrong in non-match conditions.

This all of course comes with the caveat that we would never take any risks with our players' health, and a failed HIA means they play no further part.

Interesting Smithy, thanks for the info.

I was reading something recently about medics in sport, and it said something like that medics shouldn't have targets/bonuses related to the team's performance because unlike everyone else on the playing side, their priority isn't the team's performance, it's player welfare. Made sense and no surprise that the Falcons' medics would never take risks with a player's health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 10:21 by Leipziger.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 10:35
I've never heard of a medic having a bonus related to team performance, in all my years in sport.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 10:37
Once a HIA is failed is there a mandatory timescale before you can play again?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 10:42
It's all documented somewhere, I'm sure someone can provide a link. But rest assured we follow all protocols and no player is selected without having passed all the necessary return to play protocols.

06 March, 2018 11:19
[www.google.co.uk]

Here you go!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:28
When can a player return to play after a diagnosed concussion?
As per Regulation 10: Any ADULT Player with concussion or suspected concussion:

must be immediately and permanently removed from training or the field of play; and

should be medically assessed by an appropriately qualified person (as applicable in the relevant
jurisdiction); and

must not return to play in the same Match; and

must rest for at least 24 hours and must not return to play or train until symptom free; and

must undertake a graduated return to play program, which must be consistent with World Rugby’s GRTP Protocol applicable to adults

How is a player diagnosed with concussion?
The 2012 Zurich Consensus Statement confirms that, “
The final determination regarding concussion
diagnosis and/or fitness to play is a
medical decision based on clinical judgement
”.
The HIA Tools provide guidance for Team Doctors in this difficult diagnostic area recognising that the
Team Doctor’s clinical decision is ultimately responsible for diagnosis and return to play.

What are the graduated return to play protocols described in the World Rugby Concussion Guidance?
The HIA only applies to adult elite players in HIA approved Competitions and the following information
regarding GRTP applies to this elite player group.
A player with a diagnosed concussion must rest for a minimum of 24 hours and only if symptom free and
cleared by a medical practitioner or approved healt
hcare professional (as defined by each Union),
commence a GRTP.
The GRTP protocol as per Zurich 2012 provides a “
stepwise progression, the athlete should continue to
proceed to the next level if asymptomatic at the cu
rrent level. Generally, each step should take 24 hours
so that an athlete would take
approximately one week to proceed through the full rehabilitation protocol once they are asymptomatic at rest.

Apologies if that is a bit messy but I haven't time today to re-type it & make it look pretty. The upshot is that if the player fails the assessment on match day, he is examined again 36 - 48 hours later. If he is ok he undergoes a return to play programme that takes about a week.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:44
Cheers for that folks.

06 March, 2018 13:03
as a side to the above it is worth noting that the rules governing return to play differ depending on age. anyone who has family etc involved in the game should complete the free Headcase test on the rfu site. even worth completing for the knowledge alone and you can get a certificate !!(Sm134)

fatheralice (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 20:09

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net