rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 16 December v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Sunday 23 December v Gloucester Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Edinburgh Rugby 31-13 Newcastle Falcons

DTH van der Merwe
Cantabrian (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:12
The Scotsman is reporting this morning that DTH is close to finalising a move back to Glasgow Warriors.

Re: DTH van der Merwe
rubyrhone (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:15
Who he?

mannin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:25
Whole episode with him has been odd. On big money too according to the Scarlets coach.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:22
Well he is an excellent winger, but I can't say we'll miss him because he has rarely featured.

The money would be good to reinforce areas where we are thin. Ben Frank's is rumoured to Saints, but we could do with some decent support for Jon Welsh.

I guess DTH is a bit like JPS - probably wants to play and not first choice. In DTH's respect he is probably one of our more expensive players too, and it's not as though the academy haven't produced some great prospects in Radwan and Kibirige, if Goneva and Sinoti have a niggle.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:36
I'm hardly surprised. He's not got a look in for whatever reason and will be on an extremely good wack. Let's see if we can use the money elsewhere.

mannin (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:11
Franks is bang average and will cost a fortune.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:23
Franks isn't a bad prop but he is like mannin says average in my opinion. smiling smiley

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 15:24
Interesting. Not often you call an All Black with an RWC winners medal average. However, I can't say I've seen many Irish games to be able to offer an opinion.

I guess we'll wish him all the best at Saints then...

Still doesn't mean we don't need a bit more back up at 3 though. Davey Wilson is probably not an option going forward, based on the past few years.

Who is available that you would consider?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 16:35
Maybe I am been harsh but I have never seen Franks play that well, no offence maybe it's because he is in a London Irish team what aren't doing great. smiling smiley

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:06
Fair enough. How does Irish's 10 perform? I only ask because Carl Hayman made Jonny Wilkinson look a different player once he joined Falcons. It was no surprise that Hayman followed Jonny to Toulon.

That said Hayman is still the best tighthead prop I have seen; by a long way too. Ironic that he doesn't have an RWC winners medal when clearly several kiwi peers who are lesser players, do.

falconbear (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 18:20
Shame about DTH. I would like to see a Falcons Programme to see how many games heís actually been involved in. I remember the cracking try he scored at Bath but thatís about it.
Hopefully he can play an important role in the various competitions we are still competing in!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 18:27
Falconbear, DTH has played for us three times.

DB23 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 19:22
Quote:
markismith50

Thanks Mark
...and nine times for Canada since June 2017

falconbear (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 19:54
Quote:
markismith50

Thanks Smithy. And i promise to buy a programme at the next possible opportunity! Will there be a ĎBig Oneí at St Jamesí?!

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 19:58
Itís a sign of how well weíve done this season so far that someone who was quite a high profile signing hasnít really featured.

Saw the comments re George McGuigan on another thread, would anyone have Brookesy back? (Awaits the barrage!!)

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 20:29
No

RugbyRabbit (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 20:34
Smithy, with all this Ďcashí we Ďmightí be getting through transfers, whatís the chances of the club investing some time and effort in the Falcons App?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 20:41
Falconbear, yes, there will be a special bumper programme for TBO. Itís a mammoth job and Iím well on with it.

Rabbit, the app contract is with a third party so I donít have any influence on it at present. Iíd love to get my hands on it but unfortunately the deal was done before my time. I do agree it needs sorting though.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 20:47
This isnít a real surprise however another disappointing outcome
With his CV, DTH should have been an integral member of the squad but due to internationals, injuries and the form of Niki and Sinoti we have barely seen him
I suppose his wages can be spent better elsewhere

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:32
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Itís a sign of how well weíve done this season so far that someone who was quite a high profile signing hasnít really featured.
Saw the comments re George McGuigan on another thread, would anyone have Brookesy back? (Awaits the barrage!!)

Please dont ever mention the B word again! Thanks

mannin (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:50
Going to Wasps apparently.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:03
I think Brookes burnt his bridges - No I wouldn't have him back.

As with any team or group, you need people who want to be there. I just can't be sure that he did.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:31
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
....would anyone have Brookesy back?

I would rather have Owen Finegan back, at least he tried to be part of the team.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 14:44
I think Paul Hill would be a good addition to our tighhead stock. Appears to have been mismanaged at the saints going from England prop to not getting in the saints team in less than a season. Still young and I'm sure Dean and co can work their magic on him.

mannin (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 15:01
Great prospect who i agree, has been incredibly poorly managed.

mannin (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 15:06
Looking at their squad, he seems to be available yet not even making their bench. Could be wrong if he has a long-term injury but looks that way.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 16:28
Interesting one I have always liked Hill, surprised he doesn't get in at the Saints more because they aren't exactly blessed with quality props. smiling smiley

pa8 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 16:32
Definitely have him here.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 12:13
DTH van der merwe has signed for Glasgow with immediate effect

15 March, 2018 12:18
I was really excited when it was originally announced that he was joining us. Real shame he played for Canada more times than us during his stay.

I'm sure we will use the money to improve a few weaker areas of the team.

mannin (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 13:33
As Deano says, definitely best for all parties.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 15:11
For what ever reason it hasnít worked out for DTH here, heís got a great CV so no surprise Glasgow have taken him back on
This seemingly frees up budget for next season

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 16:03
With his try scoring record I thought it would of worked out better for him here. But good luck to him. smiling smiley

dick g (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 18:56
I would of liked to have seen more of him. I might of enjoyed watching him. I would have cheered him on. But then, I might not of.

Sorry. Can't help it.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 19:26
I'm glad you got that off of your chest Dick.(Sm8)

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 20:17
Great shout on Paul Hill....he'd be a cracking signing...and I'm sure the coaches could really bring him back on course.

Genuinely no loss with DTH.

Id rather give Radwan and Kibirige gametime before DTH...they're our future...

pa8 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 21:34
Quote:
dick g
I would of liked to have seen more of him. I might of enjoyed watching him. I would have cheered him on. But then, I might not of.
Sorry. Can't help it.

What of you done ?

falconbear (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 22:30
Played 3 games since joining (and 9 games for Canada) and not hanging around to see his contract out? Weíve got Premiership run in, European Challenge Cup games and possible Premiership play-offs. He would have been handy to call upon if sinoti or goneva get injured. Something doesnít add up in my opinion.

Robs (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 00:43
Quote:
dick g
Sorry. Can't help it.
No
You would OF cheered him on

(I can't help it either!!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 07:09
Quote:
Robs

Even if we were loosing?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 07:34
Quote:
Robs
Quote:
dick g
Sorry. Can't help it.
No

(I can't help it either!!

He'd of had to OF seen more of him first.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 08:26
Your all being silly now....

Robs (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 08:28
We're we?

dick g (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 08:36
I promise not to highlight this issue again. I should of known better.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 09:40
Quote:
Robs
We're we?

Were not.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 11:42
What affect do you think that would of had, or would it not of effected it at all?

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 14:33
Are you all bored with all this cyber bullying

I donít feel so bad abusing random journalists now that you lot can get stuck into one of our own.

😄

dick g (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:20
Quote:
aidanb
I donít feel so bad abusing random journalists now that you lot can get stuck into one of our own.

😄

I don't like being categorised as random. I would of expected better of you Aidan. Find me in the Fan Zone next Saturday and I'll buy you a pint.

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:57
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
aidanb

😄

I don't like being categorised as random. I would of expected better of you Aidan. Find me in the Fan Zone next Saturday and I'll buy you a pint.

Ooh Dicky G
No one would ever describe you as random

Special yes
Random no
😄

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 13:02
DTH first game back for Glasgow and got a BRACE i wonder why he left?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 13:26
He left because he wanted game time, but we have a very strong group of wingers. Heís a good player, we never said otherwise.

27 March, 2018 13:30
He was probably also signed as both Goneva and Sinoti had 1 season left on their previous contracts. Also Sinoti had injury problems the last few years, some were questioning whether we were ever going to see him at his best again.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 17:33
It says how well weíre going that someone with obvious ability and who walked straight back into Glasgowís team couldnít get a game with us. (No, Iím not saying weíre as good as Glasgow!)

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 18:05
Agreed EF.

At any level of sport players want game time...some are prepared to stay and fight for their places and other choose to move on.
It really does show the progress that we are making.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 19:23
Nobody's missed Marcus Watson either. Remember him?

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 06:08
Good point about Marcus Watson. I was disappointed when he left but we've never missed him.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 06:21
Marcus is at the game on Friday working for Sky, as is Goodey.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 11:07
Marcus really disappointed me in leaving as we were the ones who took a punt on him coming from the sevens format and helped him develop.
No doubt in the right team he is a brilliant player,but i don,t feel that he will flourish at Wasps.

Goodey.....well what do you say about him...i seriously could not believe the size of him when he ran out for his first A game...but all credit to him he really got us through a couple of massive wins which i think ultimately saved us from relegation.

I am sure that we will all welcome them back to KP ON Friday night.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 11:17
I believe Noony is also flying over for the match, he lives our near Brive and is travelling on their plane, I'm told.

toastie1 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 16:33
With Mayerhofler, our best ever centre partnership

Getitright (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 18:36
Goodey does an excellent podcast on the Rugby Pod with Jim Hamilton. Not sure whether it's weekly but generally a good laugh. They take it out on the road and it's worth watching Jim Hamilton get tonked in a scull off by an audience member who's a foot shorter!! Can view it on YouTube

Robs (IP Logged)
28 March, 2018 20:49
Yes Goodey and Big Jim were great value at the Lonsdale in Jesmond and their weekly podcast is great once you've got past the silly stuff

steve1888 (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 09:02
Agreed Toastie, great pairing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net