rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Season over.

Last result: Exeter Chiefs 36-5 Newcastle Falcons

Teams up
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 12:20
Newcastle Falcons team to face Exeter Chiefs (Sunday, 1pm, Sandy Park, live on BT Sport)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Vereniki Goneva

13 Maxime Mermoz

12 Josh Matavesi

11 Sinoti Sinoti

10 Toby Flood

9 Sonatane Takulua

1 Sam Lockwood

2 Kyle Cooper

3 Jon Welsh

4 Will Witty

5 Sean Robinson

6 Ally Hogg

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Nili Latu

Replacements

16 Santiago Socino

17 Rob Vickers

18 Scott Wilson

19 Calum Green

20 Ryan Burrows

21 Michael Young

22 Joel Hodgson

23 Chris Harris

Exeter Chiefs

15 Santiago Cordero

14 Tom O’Flaherty

13 Ian Whitten

12 Ollie Devoto

11 James Short

10 Joe Simmonds

9 Stu Townsend

1 Moray Low

2 Jack Innard

3 Greg Holmes

4 Mitch Lees

5 Wilhelm Van Der Sluys

6 Dave Dennis (captain)

7 Julian Salvi

8 Matt Kvesic

Replacements

16 Paul Davis

17 James Kenny

18 Jack Owlett

19 Toby Salmon

20 Kai Horstmann

21 Will Chudley

22 Sam Morley

23 Tom Hendrickson

Referee: Karl Dickson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2018 13:29 by aidanb.

Re: Teams up
09 March, 2018 12:21
This might be the most exciting 23 we've put out all season

mannin (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 12:29
And not the strongest from Exeter

09 March, 2018 12:32
Quote:
mannin
And not the strongest from Exeter

This might be the game to get the sandy park monkey off our backs

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 12:38
Its there for the taking, Im suprised at the team exeter has put out, whilst we've got our full strengthed side out. COYF looks like im looking to get time off on the 18th !!!!!!!

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 12:39
Stronger team than I thought we would put out. smiling smiley

lizard118 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 12:40
That Exeter team tells me that they have other priorities. I haven't seen their front row in the same team all season. We are at full strength near enough, although I prefer seeing Tait at fullback just because of his defensive work. Hammersley hasn't really kicked on and his defensive work at Gloucester was exposed on a few occasions along with Mermoz. Both let opposition players slip from which Gloucester scored two tries. I hope they have worked on that.
We have a strong team out and looking at that I put us slight favourites, even though Exeter are at home.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 12:56
That’s a very strong team, we are going for it. I expected a mixture as per the cup games so far

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 12:56
Blimey, that is a strong team. Deano wants to win this one that's for sure.

By the time I have finished being nice for Mothers Day it will all be over.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 12:58
Even the Exeter fans on their forum acknowledge it looks like a tall order for their young side against our team selection. but no doubt about it they will be up for it and they have the home advantage.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 13:18
Young side ? It's a decent Exeter side still , outstanding back row , international props, fb and Centre. Lees and Whitten are exvellent too and Simmonds was brilliant last weekend.

pityacker (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 13:25
Totally agree with Steve that’s still a strong Exeter team with some quality players throughout and it certainly won’t be easy.

mannin (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 13:40
Nobody said it wasn't a decent side but its obviously nowhere near their strongest.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 14:08
Great looking side from us. It will be extremely interesting to see Matavesi and Mermoz as the centre partnership. That whole backline though. (Sm53)

Exeter still have lots of quality and I still don't expect this to be a given. It'll take a very good performance to clinch the win.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 14:32
Very strong team, other than Mark Wilson being missing I'm not sure I'd change it. We might never have a better chance to win at Exeter. Bring it on!

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:21
Certainly taking nothing for granted, but seeing the teams we have no excuse not to win this. Yes they still have great players, it certainly won’t be easy, but no one can tell me our bench isn’t far far stronger than theirs.

There’s no doubt Exeter have other priorities and I wish them all the best, fantastic club. If you cast your minds back, Exeter’s roll started with......a win in this cup and look what’s happened to them since. Imagine if we could do the same......

alas (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 19:59
Horrendous conditions at Bath. Hopefully, Sunday will be a bit drier.

DB23 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 20:39
We should be thankful for having a proper rugby stadium.

The Bath Rec in the rain has to be the most miserable matchday experience with primitive facilities

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 20:41
Quote:
alas
Horrendous conditions at Bath.

I think you will find that is quite normal for the Rec. Can't remember going there without getting very wet.

alas (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 21:14
Halfhearted, but idiotic head butt by Harrison. Expect he'll be suspended for the Big One.

09 March, 2018 21:49
Love the Rec, proper old traditional rugby ground, but there is a distinct lack of roofing!

10 March, 2018 07:19
People saying that this is a full strength Falcons side are forgetting that Mark Wilson and Gary Graham are both missing. I'd also have Alex Tait ahead of Hammersley at full back if he was available.

pa8 (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 07:50
I would have Callum Green in the starting xv as well.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 13:01
You could argue that Green, Vickers, JP Socino should be in the starting team but I think Witty, Lockwood and Matavesi are probably about on a par with them.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 13:24
I normally agree with you Leipy but not this time. Green is our best lock and big as Witty is I just don't find him as aggressive. I think he's too nice, or is it just age? So therefore not on par with Green imo.

11 March, 2018 14:37
Disappointing that we lost and out of the AW Cup. Don't think the weather conditions helped our game in the 2nd half.

The run of long distance away games have come to an end. Onto the big one we go.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 14:41
What worries me the most is when there is no Jon Welsh in the scrum we struggle a lot in that area. smiling smiley

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 14:44
Gallant effort from the lads but we went into our shells in the 2nd half and Exeter's experience of winning big games showed.

I going to get jumped on no doubt.....but I think the scrum in the 2nd half cost us the game.We lost territory and points and Exeter were truly dominant in this area.

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 14:51
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
People saying that this is a full strength Falcons side are forgetting that Mark Wilson and Gary Graham are both missing. I'd also have Alex Tait ahead of Hammersley at full back if he was available.

Sorry Norfolk but we were bullied at the set-piece and breakdown second half by an average Exeter side at best. A side from Mark Wilson and Green that was our best starting 15. A very poor performance in the second half especially given we had the momentum and were 10 points up.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 15:12
I agree, on paper that was a strong Falcons side and we should really have won that game.

dick g (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 15:21
We'll just have to concentrate on the league. Oh, and the other cup.

pityacker (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 15:38
That was the best chance to break our duck at Sandy Park and get a win against a side although full of decent players and lots with Premier experience they were almost all second choice this season. Hugely disappointed I won't be going to Kingsholm next week now.

fatheralice (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 15:47
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Gallant effort from the lads but we went into our shells in the 2nd half and Exeter's experience of winning big games showed.
I going to get jumped on no doubt.....but I think the scrum in the 2nd half cost us the game.We lost territory and points and Exeter were truly dominant in this area.

That has to be a worry for Falcons given Moray Low played on the wrong side for 80 mins and was destroying your team towards the end- I couldn't tell you the last time he even started, let alone played 80 mins.
Holmes has also played very little rugby, so whilst they have big game experience, it was certainly a surprise to see us become ever more dominant in the scrums as the game went on, and played a big part in us getting back into the match.

Hope Welchs' injury is not too serious, as he looks vital to your hopes this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 16:46 by fatheralice.

alas (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 16:01
Shame to miss out on a final, but the Falcons weren't going to keep winning every close game or get away with scoring no points or next to no points in the second half.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 16:02 by alas.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 18:54
I obviously disappointed not to be going to the final, but I am more than happy with the season so far. We didn't exactly get mullered, we lost by one penalty, and that Exeter team was well fired up & backed by a home crowd.

11 March, 2018 19:18
Disappointing and maybe an opportunity missed but we had a good run and a lot of younger players got a good few games in this competition. Season is far from over and we still have a huge chance of a top four finish, not too bad eh?

telfs123 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:56
And ultimately, a week off could be a good thing. Recharge and smash into the end of the season.
Next 4 games could make or break our season. Win them and we have a European semi, probably locked up top 6 and pole position for top 4. Would rather have that than the AW Cup.

Osric (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 21:28
Pool - I agree for this one. The scrum didn't help our cause in the second half.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net