rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 17 August v Leinster Rugby at Energia Park, 7.00pm

Friday 24 August v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 47-26 Nottingham Rugby

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Re: Rumoured Signings 2018-19
mannin (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 12:16
He must have a club lined up. Very good player.

Yorksfalcon (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:24
There are rumours that Ashton is in his way back to England. Jim Hamilton reckons Quins or Falcons. Would you have him at fullback?

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 14:58
For all I think Ashton is a quality player still, I wouldn't take him as a full back. I would consider him as a winger though..even though we're well stocked in both Senior and rising young stars in that position.

I'd much prefer a young Mike Brown. Aggressive, strong, great defence, great attacking player (regardless of pace)

Or Matt Burke MkII ??

Can we find one??

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 15:51
I am a fan of Ashton a world class finisher, but for me if we did sign him what to be honest I would like, I still would worry about him in defence still misses a good number of tackles I have noticed. smiling smiley

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 18:31
I would have thought he would be a good fit at Quins.

I don't really see us needing him. We have plenty of very talented wingers several with youth on their side and none with egos.

As to full back, maybe, but I can't honestly say that I've seen him there. I would say that if we signed a full back he would need to be better than we have and I am sceptical that Ashton would be better than Tait. More flamboyant - yes, more reliable - no.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 19:15
I'd be utterly shocked if he joined us. Could see a Sale chuck money at him.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 20:58
Sinoti and Goneva arenít getting younger and Iíd see this as an excellent signing going into the big boys competition in Europe.

Falconsfan93 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 21:43
Not one bit of me believes Chris Ashton would come to the falcons, we wouldnít pay what heíd want to start with, in regards to hammersly I canít see him kicking on much further if Iím honest.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 22:31
Can see him going to somewhere like Bristol or more so Quins. smiling smiley

pityacker (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 05:35
Quote:
Andy Mac
Sinoti and Goneva arenít getting younger and Iíd see this as an excellent signing going into the big boys competition in Europe.

Certainly a few years younger than Goneva but at 31 he is only slightly younger than Sinoti but still a tremendous try scorer although Deano rarely spends a big chunk of his budget on one player.

15 June, 2018 09:38
Radwan and Kibirige will prove we don't need any mega bucks superstars anyway...as they're quality.

Paired up with Sinoti, and Goneva, you can make some nicely balanced wing combos of pace, elusiveness and raw brute power.

Full back is the area we need to work on. Cowell...he's a work in progress who will get some gametime, but Hammersley and Tait will be first choicers. I agree with everyone...Hammersley burst on the scene and was a revelation with his angles and lines breaks. Its almost completely disappeared.

Turner966 (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 10:01
There was a rumour a while ago about John Hardie, the Edinburgh and Scotland back row. Is that rumour dead now as I haven't heard anything since?

mannin (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 10:13
Quote:
Kwa444
As to full back, maybe, but I can't honestly say that I've seen him there. I would say that if we signed a full back he would need to be better than we have and I am sceptical that Ashton would be better than Tait. More flamboyant - yes, more reliable - no.

He's played FB all season at Toulon. Means he can roam wherever he fancies in attack which helped him break the single season scoring record for the Top 14.

15 June, 2018 10:21
Quote:
Turner966
There was a rumour a while ago about John Hardie, the Edinburgh and Scotland back row. Is that rumour dead now as I haven't heard anything since?

Maybe Dean felt Collet is a better option and value.

mannin (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 10:32
Can't see us signing another big name back rower with Graham & Collett coming in and Uzokwe/Chick/Burrows becoming more prominent. Maybe another project?

6. Welch/Guy Graham
7. Collett/Uzokwe/Gary Graham
8. Wilson/Burrows/Chick

15 June, 2018 10:40
The back row will be very interesting to watch this season coming. Some very under the radar signings and academy lads

Guy is said to be similar to Gary in style...which is explosive. Uzokwe looks a right bundle of power, Collet looks like a real grafting 6/7 style that Dean Richards likes. If you impress in New Zealand he must have something about him. Hopefuly Chick can stay injury free and really push on.

Burrows is key. We need a quality 8, and he really could be it. Just needs to take the opportunity with no Hogg and Latu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/06/2018 10:40 by GeordieFalcon.

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 12:08
Heard rumours we are after 2 young England Under 20's players.

Josh Basham (19) - London Irish listed as a lock but currently playing Number 8 for England Under 20's and broke into the Irish team towards the end of the season again playing at number 8.

Marcus Street (19)- Exeter Chiefs Tight head prop broke into the Exeter side last season a solid player and a good prospect has also represented the Under 20's.

15 June, 2018 12:23
Its interesting that our academy doesn't seem to produce many props.

Scotty was the last one who has come through and he's been held back by injuries.

15 June, 2018 14:54
Hardie has just had back surgery so that may explain why he has not gone to a club yet.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 15:52
Heard good things about Marcus Street. smiling smiley

exhooker (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 23:34
What I've seen of Uzokwe I've liked very much nd have high hopes of a very classy player

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
16 June, 2018 18:24
Vermeulen signs for Falcons. You've heard it here first

16 June, 2018 18:52
Their replacement loosehead would be a player I'd love us to sign. And their number 4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/06/2018 18:54 by NorfolkFalcon.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
16 June, 2018 19:31
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Vermeulen signs for Falcons. You've heard it here first

That's our big number 8 sorted then grinning smiley there is some good players for SA, I have always liked Thomas du Toit the huge replacement prop for them even before he was capped for SA. smiling smiley

Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 08:50
Vermeulen? Itís not 1 April or is it a different one.

mannin (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 09:44
Think they're just jesting as it was mentioned yesterday that he's unattached.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 09:48
Whoever does get him has a world class number 8. smiling smiley

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 12:21
Some commentator on TV said Vermeulen's going to play in Japan.
Now that would be Waste! I'm sure he'd much prefer Tyneside.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 05:16
We're not going to sign Ashton.

We still look light in the back row for me. Graham is U20 level so a few years behind Chick in reality and perhaps not ready for the AP.

19 June, 2018 09:03
Well there were a few U20 players on show this last few weeks who most certainly could play senior level no worries.

Until we get a good look at Guy Graham we really wont know.

I do expect a few more signings however.

19 June, 2018 10:25
I agree I would still like to see 3 to 4 signings.

1 x Tight-head is a must - Recognised Premiership level standard.
1 x Centre to replace Mermoz.
1 x Fly half as a 3rd choice - This is a very difficult person to get in when he will know he wont be playing much.

1 x Number 8 or a Player who can play across the whole Back-Row.

These could be negated by the younger players in the squad but I don't think I would be comfortable putting them in the Premiership and Champions Cup Games.

Trevor Davidson and a Fit Dave Wilson could negate the need for a Tight-head.

Tom Penny could step up and fill the void in the Centre, I've just never been convinced Tom would be top class at senior level.

Joel Matavesi or Brett Connon could fill the 3rd Fly half berth and that would make sense.

Simon Uzokwe should come into the fold and I expect a big season from him. Callum Chick is a player I like but he must be on a make or break season.

19 June, 2018 14:36
They seem to have huge hopes on Charlie Wilson at centre Cumbrian.

And don't forget we have signed Johnny Williams from London Irish. A nice powerful direct centre whos only about 21.

19 June, 2018 15:04
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
They seem to have huge hopes on Charlie Wilson at centre Cumbrian.
And don't forget we have signed Johnny Williams from London Irish. A nice powerful direct centre whos only about 21.

I forgot about Charlie Wilson I actually thought he was a winger? On Johnny Williams I see that as a cracking piece of business to get a young English Centre who will be at the top of his game in a few years. I saw him as JPS replacement and now that Mermoz has gone I still feel we may need an experienced Centre.

pityacker (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 15:08
From the list of players on the website 13 have left or retired with possibly a question mark over one or two more that we havnt been told about , even taking into account that perhaps a few will make the step up from the senior academy recruitment so far appears well short of a squad size required to compete at the top level of the league and Europe , we can only guess what Deano is doing but certainly a few more quality potential starters are required for next season not just so called squad players to kick on from the excellent season we have just had. Deano recognised and has publically said that a number of our wins were one or two point margins which could have gone either way and had those narrow wins been narrow defeats we could easily have been out of the top six. Dean Richards is a shrewd operator and the fact that he recognises this I have no doubt there will be several pleasant surprise recruits to look forward to hearing about.

Falconsfan93 (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 15:25
Exactly what I think PY 100% think we need a few more quality and experience players added to this squad the majority of this squad have never played champions cup and right now I feel weíd be lambs to the slaughter

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 17:59
Rather than looking at the numbers in & numbers out I think our squad was just too big in places last season, too many decent players not getting game time & Academy players not getting any Premiership starts at all. Deano has added where we need to but I don't expect many more if any. We need to let the fringe players have a chance to show what they can do or they may as well just go somewhere else. It may make the season a bit more tricky, but otherwise the following season will be even worse & the whole circus starts to fall apart.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 18:26
We are definitely in need of one or two players eg Fly Half and Centre
I would like a LH or TH prop and a Full back as well
The club will give youth a chance as itís rightly club policy but we canít go into a season with Champions Cup and have players without any first team experience covering vital positions

19 June, 2018 19:51
Any incomings imminent Smithy?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 20:06
Sorry guys, I wonít be issuing a running commentary. Iím off on my hols again after tomorrow for a week.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 15:34
I know it is not the most reliable and the move has been mooted for a while now, but good old Wikipedia has Josh Basham of London Irish as confirmed signing for the Falcons. Anyone heard anything concrete on this one?

The Umpa Lumpa (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 19:48
Heís moving to study at Durham University, so the rumour probably does have some clout behind it.

21 June, 2018 08:32
With having games against the likes of Toulon (guaranteed sell out) we need to make sure we sign a few good quality players to strengthen what we have. We cant use the champions cup as a testing ground and the progression and attendances rely on playing good rugby and winning more than losing.

AJfalc (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 09:34
[quote Falcons_Thunder]With having games against the likes of Toulon (guaranteed sell out) we need to make sure we sign a few good quality players to strengthen what we have. We cant use the champions cup as a testing ground and the progression and attendances rely on playing good rugby and winning more than losing.[/quote
Apparently we have a few Academy players ready to step up and do the business against Toulon, Montpellier & Edinburgh.

Falconsfan93 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 12:53
[quote AJfalc][quote Falcons_Thunder]With having games against the likes of Toulon (guaranteed sell out) we need to make sure we sign a few good quality players to strengthen what we have. We cant use the champions cup as a testing ground and the progression and attendances rely on playing good rugby and winning more than losing.[/quote
Apparently we have a few Academy players ready to step up and do the business against Toulon, Montpellier & Edinburgh.[/quote]

I love nothing more than seeing the local lads getting ther chance, but come on even the biggest believer canít think we stand a chance with the big guns with the squad we have at the moment? Itíll make obviously be a learning curve for all players but we have lost a vast amount of experience this summer and donít seem to have replaced it as of yet I say that as I believe Deano may have one or two surprises up his sleeve I hope

pityacker (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 14:28
The French pride themselves at scrum time and have some great scrummaging front rows and even with our new recruit Mulipola I expect a beasting at scrum time unless Dean Richards has a signing or two up his sleeve.

Yorksfalcon (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 16:15
With people totting up the number in and out, I do believe some of this years retirees were actually replaced last year - Lockwood, Graham and Burrows being brought in because Vickers Latu and Hogg were on their way towards retirement. So I wouldn't necessarily expect like for like replacements for these guys, they will step up and acadamy lads can fill the breach further down. I still don't think we are necessarily going to compete well in the Heineken cup but we need to make sure this is a regular occurance rather that treating it as a one off and throwing cash at mercenaries in order to make a better fist of it.

21 June, 2018 16:38
Of all the released players from the other Premiership Clubs I still like the look of the following:

Jacob Rowan (Glos) - Young Back rower
Josh Basham (Irish)- Has ben talked about already
Mike Ellery (Sarries) - Currently playing for England 7's would be a good option at 15.
Kyle Eastmond (Wasps) - Still has no club would love him in the centres for us.
Paul Doran-Jones (Wasps) - Not keen but Tighthead cover is hard to find.
Tom Heathcote (Wuss) - Another option at 10, but would he come to be 3rd choice?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 18:54
Never rated Paul Doran Jones myself and hasn't he signed for a Championship club?. smiling smiley

Falconsfan93 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 19:16
Completely agree with the mercaneries part I do worry though that weíre oeaving ourselves a little short if this is us done transfer wise I feel this is the perfect opportunity to really kick on

21 June, 2018 20:02
Quote:
pityacker
The French pride themselves at scrum time and have some great scrummaging front rows and even with our new recruit Mulipola I expect a beasting at scrum time unless Dean Richards has a signing or two up his sleeve.

It will be embarrassing at scrum time if we don't sign a few better quality front 5 players.

pityacker (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 20:05
Quote:
AFalcon24
Never rated Paul Doran Jones myself and hasn't he signed for a Championship club?. smiling smiley

It was on the rumour pages that he was signing for Ealing Trailfinders but I didn't see his name on the huge list of signings for next season, certainly wouldn't want him at KP he has been injured a lot and hasn't shown any decent form for a number of years.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 21:30
Mike Ellery played here before, back rower in academy days I think, same as Visser.

pa8 (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 07:17
Quote:
AFalcon24

He seems to get slated by the supporters of whatever club he plays for so, along with his rep as being a bit of a sick note, I hope we stay well clear.

22 June, 2018 11:46
Jacob Rowan (Glos) - Former Leeds lad, a 7 who wouldn't enhance the squad.
Josh Basham (Irish)- Decent signing if its true
Mike Ellery (Sarries) - Don't know anything about him
Kyle Eastmond (Wasps) - StiBy all accounts returning to League.
Paul Doran-Jones (Wasps) - is woeful!! No thanks. Hes an appalling front rower
Tom Heathcote (Wuss) - We have Flood, Hodgson, Connon, Matavesi who can over 10 and Matavesi Jr who is a 10. Do we need another? I honestly think theres other positions in the squad that needs addressing first...over 10.

FB being the key one.
And maybe locks. I thought we had a really strong set of locks, but now im beginning to wonder.

22 June, 2018 12:15
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Tom Heathcote (Wuss) - We have Flood, Hodgson, Connon, Matavesi who can over 10 and Matavesi Jr who is a 10. Do we need another? I honestly think theres other positions in the squad that needs addressing first...over 10.

FB being the key one.
And maybe locks. I thought we had a really strong set of locks, but now im beginning to wonder.

GeordieFalcon - I was just putting out there who was still available from the released players list. I agree with you on all of the points around the players above.

For me a new Tight head is an absolute must. I said in another post above the other positions could be covered by younger fringe players from the squad.

On the lock situation I think we are fine:

Tevita Cavubati - Has had a Long term injury and will be like a new signing.

Calum Green - The first name on the team sheet for me.

Andrew Davidson - Very good prospect who showed he can step up in the Euro and cup
competitions last season.

Will Witty - Tough strong lock a first team player/Starter.

Sean Robinson - If I was in charge he would be my other starting lock.

Glen Young - Has Premiership experience now and like Davidson should be in and around the first team squad.

Will Montgomery (A) - I have no idea about Will hopefully another good prospect.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 13:20
Although I wouldnít want to see us stuffed in any games I would hope we donít just recruit based on the Heineken Cup. I would much prefer we consolidated our league position and if that means last seasonís fringe players like Burrows get a proper run out and some academy lads get some game time Iíd be happy with that. That would offer much better long term benefit.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 14:59
I'd take Heathcote as a third choice 10. Regardless of being in the Champs Cup, to go into next season with just Flood and Hodgson as senior 10s with decent first team experience is a
big risk. One bad injury and suddenly we're relying on the other staying fit, with Connon and Joel Matavesi (no Premiership experience) or Josh Matavesi (first choice 12, not a great option at 10) as backup.

mannin (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 12:11
Hasn't Heathcote had concussion issues which partly led to his release?

Navyquin (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 13:03
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

FB being the key one.

Sam Twomey has been released from Quins and is looking for a club so could be an option. Hope to get up this season, best ground for travelling fans with great supporters.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 13:12
You'll have news in the next half hour

mannin (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 13:25
Basham?

aidanb (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 13:43
Quote:
markismith50
You'll have news in the next half hour

new thread started

27 June, 2018 19:13
Basham is joining too. Probably part of our senior academy.

ColinCharvis8 (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 20:51
Quote:
ColinCharvis8
I have to say I am very pleased with the signatures secured to date, great work from Dean et al.
That said, all our rivals have secured additions to a similar standard. And if we expect to compete at the same level as we have done so this term, further reinforcements (namely @ prop & No.8) are required especially due to certain retirements and the far east farewell.

I do think Chick & Burrows are good enough to start at 8 in the Premiership, though due to our current roster size I suspect both will be required to cover blindside as well.

Therefore I'd like to see a strong ball carrier signed at No.8 to compliment the back rowers we already have, someone in the mould of Nemani Nagusa or Naama Vaipulu.

If Mulipola has been signed as a loosehead and due to Davey Wilson's injury record, I'd like to see cover signed at 3 to challenge Scotty (whom had a great end to the season). I agree with previous comments, Kane Palma-Newport would be a great addition. Brookes would have been a quality addition though his move to Wasps is all but confirmed.

After securing players to cover the positions mentioned above, we have to concentrate on adding some experience and depth to our ranks. Michael Paterson and Sam Twomey could be targets worth have a look at, especially with the loss of Olmstead whom will be particularly hard to replace.

Kyle Eastmond could be an interesting proposition to cover 12 & 13, quality player/questionable attitude(?)... though I suspect Sale have secured his services.

Hmm... has this thread doubled as a scouts list?

Posted on the 15th May regarding our new signing...

A certain mr Nagusa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/06/2018 20:52 by ColinCharvis8.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 20:55
What do you know about him? I'm a geek and i haven't heard of him! I am excited to hear what you think?

27 June, 2018 21:08
Well if hes a Fijian 15's and 7's back row forwards at 6'2 and 110kg it would suggest hes got some spark...

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 09:53
Impressive Colin!

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 12:05
I see Bath are linked with the big South African prop Jacques van Rooyen would not mind him at KP, still think we need another prop with some experience. smiling smiley

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 14:54
We desperately need an "anchor" tighthead. Maybe they want mulipola to play there?

Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 17:33
John Welsh is good and still 19 stone

01 July, 2018 17:57
Quote:
Oneforthefatboys
John Welsh is good and still 19 stone

We know he is Oneforthrfatboys but we need competition a fit Scott Wilson will help us but he needs to stay fit. Trevor Davison is very raw still and we might see more of Jake Payne who I believe is a tight-head.

One injury and we are struggling on this side of the scrum. It doesnít fill me with confidence going not a champions cup and Premiership season without proven Premiership Standard Cover.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 20:39
Any confirmation that Davey Wilson wonít be with us next season?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 20:53
I submitted the current squad list on Friday to our web developers with the intention for it to be uploaded this week. Davey is still with us and is training well.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 21:00
Interesting. If Davey can stay fit then Welsh and Wilson x2 are good cover at TH

lizard118 (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 21:05
Nice to hear Davey is training well Smithy. Thank you for the update. You have to feel for the guy with the injuries he's had, and I think he owes the club some performances next season.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 21:36
Davey was involved in the first team at the end of last season so hopefully heís been fit and firing ready for a full pre season this year

Leipziger (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 21:39
A pleasant surprise that Davey Wilson is still around, if he can stay fit and in form next season then he, Scott and Welsh will be a good set of 3s (providing Scott can stay fit too, but he did most of last season).

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 21:45
Mulipola, Payne and Davison can also play 3

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 08:14
Smithy, Is Payne going to be Full Time with us or will we continue to lend him from Mowden Park?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 08:37
Jack is full time with us, but we may dual-reg him out during the season if it is going to be beneficial for him.

02 July, 2018 09:01
Mark,
Is Payne going to be focusing on one position or will Dean use him in multiple roles as he has last season?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 09:19
Jack is with us as a prop. His A-League runs in the back-row were purely down to lack of bodies in that area.

02 July, 2018 09:37
Ah excellent. When ive seen him at 3 he's looked a big aggressive lad, I always thought there is something there to work with.

Good he's on board.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 11:02
With say Lockwood and Welsh starting and Logo and Davey on he bench that would still leave Mavinga, Brocklebank, Davison covering LH and Scotty and Payne covering TH and of course one or two can play both if needed
The depth is there, whether the quality is there is up for debate

mannin (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 11:26
It's a good crop as long as we don't get too many injuries to the frontline guys.

I've only seen Davison at 3?

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 11:28
Anything on Josh Basham?

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 12:01
I think Davison came in as LH but played TH due to injuries. Whether or not he goes back to LH I donít know
Basham was rumoured due to uni commitments but nothing confirmed

markismith50 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 12:07
Trev plays both sides.

Nothing on Basham at this end other than people outside the club saying he has signed (he hasn't - not that I am aware of, anyway).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2018 12:09 by markismith50.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 12:35
The problem is, we have numbers in the propping department but not much quality. Only Welsh, Lockwood and Logo are up to AP standard currently.

Wilson x 2 are unknown after injury, but worth a full pre-season to show their worth. On their performances last season...not good enough.

Davidson and Mavinga are not good enough to be in a 23 and I can't seem to recall much of Payne.

It's ok saying so and so can play Tighthead or loosehead (so could I), the issue is they're not good enough.

If Logo doesn't make a big impact, we're in for another season of getting smashed in the scrum and losing needless possession, points and territory.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 13:01
Our scrum is effective for our game plan, ball in ball out
However when we come up against teams such as Exeter, Sarries with big scrums we give away too many penalties and allow them territory from which they can use their renowned mauls for example
We could do with a scrum plan B for these instances

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 13:16
Quote:
Falc Dancer
However when we come up against teams such as Exeter, Sarries with big scrums we give away too many penalties and allow them territory from which they can use their renowned mauls for example

Gaining parity is the best we can hope for, I'd take that like a shot.

04 July, 2018 15:29
Quote:
Pool_falcon
The problem is, we have numbers in the propping department but not much quality. Only Welsh, Lockwood and Logo are up to AP standard currently.
Wilson x 2 are unknown after injury, but worth a full pre-season to show their worth. On their performances last season...not good enough.

Davidson and Mavinga are not good enough to be in a 23 and I can't seem to recall much of Payne.

It's ok saying so and so can play Tighthead or loosehead (so could I), the issue is they're not good enough.

If Logo doesn't make a big impact, we're in for another season of getting smashed in the scrum and losing needless possession, points and territory.

You have hit the nail on the head there Pool. If we don't get a proven Tighthead to cover Welsh I think we are in for a seriously long season at scrum time.

04 July, 2018 15:48
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Quote:
Falc Dancer

Gaining parity is the best we can hope for, I'd take that like a shot.

And how often last season did we make a positive gainline gain from our put in? Hardly non at all. We really do need another prop. Preferably TH

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 15:52
Looking at the numbers in the proping dept we arenít signing another prop unless someone leaves

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 18:31
The problem is now we are a team that pose a threat the other teams "scrum long" against us and win penalty after penalty. It is a real worry.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 19:02
Still feel we are slightly short if I am honest, a couple of injuries and I can see a mid season prop signing. smiling smiley

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 05:30
If Logo is signed as a LH primarily, I agree we need another TH...and vice versa.

It'll be interesting to see if Dave Wilson can get back any kind of form as he would be like a new signing I guess.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 06:39
Logo has been signed for both sides

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 06:54
Well he can't play both at once, but I get your point. If Welsh and Lockwood pick up knocks, we're struggling.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 07:23
Your opinion is well documented pool falcon. And of course you are entitled to it.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net