rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 16 November v Harlequins at Twickenham Stoop, 7.45pm

Friday 23 November v Bath Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 22-7 Bath Rugby

Evan Olmstead & Nili Latu
Davidten31 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 07:24
I spoke to both Evan and Nili yesterday after the game and asked them will you be here next season. Both stated no that was their last home game. Evan stated he is gutted but he's off to new zealand
I can understand Nili as he's coming to the end of his career, but I'm suprised we're letting Evan go. Hopefully some big replacements coming in.

Re: Evan Olmstead & Nili Latu
Marco19819 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 07:25
It is very strange that this hasn't been announced so that they could have a proper send off?

pityacker (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 08:21
Evan Olmstead has been top notch for Falcons and again yesterday showed what a good player he is and can only guess that his time away with Canada has something to to do with him not being retained. Nili Latu has been wonderful for us I wish we could have had him earlier in his career he is a real warrior.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 08:26
I heard these yesterday. Shame as I would have liked to keep both
More outgoings than expected along with Vickers, Hogg and probably Lawson. We are losing a lot of players from our senior experienced players pool
I didnít expect to need to sign as many players as we now need to, even just like for like replacements are needed
The need for a third fly half for next year was confirmed yesterday with Toby and Joel being injured
Expect more fringe outgoings as well, the likes of Civetta could leave
Long term injury players like Dave Wilson, Sowery might also leave/retire
Rumours of Mermoz away as well leaves us light in the centres

pityacker (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 08:42
Regarding a fly half replacement I thought Craig Willis made a huge difference yesterday when he came on allowing Matavesi to move to 12 and itís a real shame Craig is moving on.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 08:43
Sounds like there's more work than expected at Kingston Park during the summer???

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 08:44
Having an out and out fly half rather than a make shift is crucial at the top end of rugby

Quote:
pityacker
Regarding a fly half replacement I thought Craig Willis made a huge difference yesterday when he came on allowing Matavesi to move to 12 and itís a real shame Craig is moving on.

Falconsfan93 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 09:32
In regards to not needing a 3rd fly half I feel we do look at how easy it is to be left short with flood and Hodgson out, Willis leaving is a shame he looked good and with the greatest of respects I donít hold much hope for the younger matevasi at fly half, definitely need another 6/7 signings on top of original 4 weíve got Iíd go as far as saying champions cup experience signings

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 11:38
We have young Brett Connon as 3rd fh. Lots of potential

concolor (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 11:53
It all comes down to budgets and we havenít the cash so Evan is let go.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 12:21
Latu I expected it would not be long before he retired or moved on, as it goes for Olmstead I think he will be a miss for us I always rate him when he is playing. smiling smiley

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 15:29
Quote:
Marco19819
It is very strange that this hasn't been announced so that they could have a proper send off?

This question gets asked at the various events involving coaches & management every year. Some players want to say farewell such as Hogg, Vickers & JPS, some don't like to make an issue of it. They have the opportunity if they want to, there is no club policy regarding leavers, so if they don't want to make a big issue of it we just have to respect that.

Falconsfan93 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 17:25
This whole thing that we donít have a large budget doesnít wash with me considering I seen something regarding that if attendances were up be 1000 over th course of th season that meant an extra 250 grand for playing staff or whatever and weíve certainly managed that I just donít see the point in reaching this level then not taking the opportunity to at least consolidate our position

pityacker (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 17:45
Rugby Inside Line has tweeted that Nili Latu may be going to Coventry.

Osric (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 18:18
If true, many thanks to both for all their service and graft. Nili, if retiring, I understand but Evan going is a real shame as he's immense.
Looking forward to reading about the replacements - Willis (agree - made a big difference), Hogg, Lawson?, Latu, Olmstead, JPS, Bobby, Mermoz?, Cavubati?, DTHVDM etc - amounts to a reduction in experience and ability.
I'm sure the prospect of top flight European action will help us to attract a decent calibrate of player. The above losses will, I guess, bring our average age down.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 19:07
Itís a fact that we donít have a large budget falconsfan93 (I believe only one club had a smaller budget than us this season)
With what we have achieved this season we are punching well above our weight and despite the significant rise in our attendances over the last couple of seasons we as a club still have to manage our finances in a frugal manner.
Semore does an incredible job at the helm and will not throw money around in an attempt to a quick route to success. Our achievement this season so far is remarkable and our continuous year on year progression is absolutely the way to manage the club and bring stability and sustainability for our long term future.

Falconsfan93 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 20:55
I agree and disagree with you all in one, my disagreement is that mick Hogan ( sorry if Iíve got the wrong person) said if the average attendance went up by 1000 it would mean 250 grand from last year ours has went up 2000 meaning 599 grand thatís either one luxury players wages for a year or dare I say 2/3 decent squad players ? But I also get that we donít ever want to be a London Welsh.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 21:04
The problem is with so many experienced players leaving/retiring we are gonna prob need 12+ players instead of maybe 5/6 and playing in the champions cup if we don't recruit well could be embarrassing! Unfortunately this area will always be football first and rugby a mile behind in second that will never change and the attendances are only as good as the results. I still think we need an attacking coach I don't like the joining two roles together.

aidanb (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 03:23
Quote:
Falconsfan93
I agree and disagree with you all in one, my disagreement is that mick Hogan ( sorry if Iíve got the wrong person) said if the average attendance went up by 1000 it would mean 250 grand from last year ours has went up 2000 meaning 599 grand thatís either one luxury players wages for a year or dare I say 2/3 decent squad players ? But I also get that we donít ever want to be a London Welsh.

The club is shipping £2m a year.
£500k improvement still sees a £1.5m per year loss

Weíve been losing that for at least the last 5 years.

Thatís £10m spent by Seymour to keep us watching rugby.

How long can that go on.

Reality will bite soon enough.

07 May, 2018 07:14
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
Falconsfan93

The club is shipping £2m a year.
£500k improvement still sees a £1.5m per year loss

Weíve been losing that for at least the last 5 years.

Thatís £10m spent by Seymour to keep us watching rugby.

How long can that go on.

Reality will bite soon enough.

Only 3 out of 12 premiership clubs turn a profit all the rest are riddled with debt.

concolor (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 08:02
I agree aidanb,whilst we like it or not the club is running at a loss. Semore wants it to be sustainable for obvious reasons as I doubt he can keep ploughing money in on his own forever. Our budget is second smallest this season and no doubt will be smallest for next season. There are rumours around that the budget has been cut already and hence we see some players released where would like to keep.
It has been a great season on the field by players and staff however Deano and the team will have to work their extra magic for next season. Deano has always found some diamonds in the mire when it comes to players so letís hope has a few finds up his sleeve.

mannin (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 07:55
To echo to what's been said but add my view.

Josh Matavesi is no 10. We were a completely different proposition with Willis (such a shame he's going/we've not used him).

Olmsted out on Instagram that he had all his family over for his last game at KP. Seems very sad about it.

Late must be moving on rather than retiring. Japan would be a good place to earn a few Yen?

pityacker (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 08:12
A lot of supporters are also very sad to see Evan Olmstead go but the men at the top must have a good reason to let such a talented player go I would think.

08 May, 2018 09:47
Quote:
pityacker
A lot of supporters are also very sad to see Evan Olmstead go but the men at the top must have a good reason to let such a talented player go I would think.

Proberly because we are skint tho I'm sure Logo wasn't cheep

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 10:59
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder

Why would we be skint?

I have heard this said a few times over the last few days. Anything to base this theory on that we should know?

Last I heard we had an increased budget for next season, which is just as well because we will need it. All sorts of good stuff has happened at KP over the last few years, and more good stuff is planned as we go forward. Perhaps you know something that we don't so do please enlighten us.

eebagum (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 12:08
Evan is undoubtedly a very useful member of our squad (or was), but I am left wondering just what return do we get for our money as all our Canadians seem to be leaving. Is their availability-or nonavailability- a contributory factor.
Similarly we are bemoaning the fact that Criag Willis is leaving and we need a quality replacement.Craig presumably is leaving because he wants to play rugby every weekend and progress his career.
Do posters above recommend a replacement, or do we place an advert...Quality fly half required, must be content being 3rd Choice...The comment regarding Brett Connon is valid.
It won't be easy recruiting for next season although the attraction of the European Big League must be a benefit.Perhaps those above have an answer to the conundrum..how do you keep a squad of 50plus players happy?
Best of luck to our illustrious leaders.

mannin (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 12:15
As i've said on another thread, we have a large squad and can afford to let some go. That doesn't mean people can't be upset about a quality operator like Olmstead leaving. As you've pointed out, there must be something behind the decision in regards to value for money as when here he's been picked in some big games.

Re. Willis, i have no idea if this is true but the list of some of the social media stuff was that he (like Olmstead) wasn't offered a deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2018 12:16 by mannin.

08 May, 2018 12:40
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder

Why would we be skint?

I have heard this said a few times over the last few days. Anything to base this theory on that we should know?

Last I heard we had an increased budget for next season, which is just as well because we will need it. All sorts of good stuff has happened at KP over the last few years, and more good stuff is planned as we go forward. Perhaps you know something that we don't so do please enlighten us.

If you make a loss and are in debt I call that being skint. And with the salery cap going up to 7mil for the 18/19 & 19/20 seasons how close to that are we gonna get?

too_tall_to_tackle (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 14:37
Was there any news at the talk in on the potential partnership with the sru that was mooted recently. They are hardly a cash cow but there are a fair few young Scottish players that would help plug some of the weaknesses we have.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 14:41
That wasnít asked at the talk-in, surprisingly.

08 May, 2018 15:07
cant tell if thats a worm on a hook smithy?

i Believe there is more to come from this "partnership" would not be surprised if Scotty Lawson is off to gala to lead the sru development academy and Gala RFC (my old club)

ps if you read this mr lawson i still have a house in gala 15 min walk from netherdale i can do you a good rental deal !!!(Sm42)

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 18:26
I was going to ask this myself but thought people had heard enough of my voice so didn't.

It would be nice to think that there could be some sort of mutually beneficial arrangement that wouldn't upset our duties to the RFU, and wouldn't upset anybody except the few rabid anti-Scots that we have in our midst.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 19:11
Quote:
Monkey1
I was going to ask this myself but thought people had heard enough of my voice so didn't.
It would be nice to think that there could be some sort of mutually beneficial arrangement that wouldn't upset our duties to the RFU, and wouldn't upset anybody except the few rabid anti-Scots that we have in our midst.

My main concern with any agreement with the SRU isn't how it conflicts with our 'duties' to the RFU, but how our resulting 'duties' to the SRU might conflict with the interests of the club itself.

08 May, 2018 19:15
Whilst im sad that Olmstead has gone...the thing is we have a large amount of locks, and shortages in other positions.

Witty
Green
Robinson
Cavubati
Young
Civetta
Davison

Witty, Green, Robinson - First choice starters.

Cavubati - Injured all season, surely will have a part to play next season

Glen Young - Decent fringe / back up player
Civetta - Id be amazed if he wasnt on his way also this summer.

Andrew Davison - Every A game the young Scottish lock plays he seems to stand out even against the top sides...maybe he's going to be playing a much more significant part in the firsts next season.

So surely that is a pretty good stables of locks, and deemed that Olmstead was the one to move on.

And i have no doubt we have a few more coming through the academy to bolster the A team games.

alas (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 19:21
Max Davies is a good prospect and, like Olmstead, can play at 6 as well as in the second row.

08 May, 2018 19:44
Davies is on his way out Alas. I believe he is on his way to Wales due to his welsh roots...

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 20:06
Quote:
Monkey1

Must be missing something but donít recall any rabid anti-Scots on here.

08 May, 2018 20:16
Surely the RFU what block any deal we were making with the RFU...

09 May, 2018 11:54
A deal with the sru could be that we take a few of the qualified Scots like hardie on without needing a deal. Tho I did read an article that stated if the SRU by 10% stake in the Falcons the RFU and Premiership rugby couldn't block it. Quins have an agreement with NZ rugby and nobody seems bothered

Xanderman (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:31
I don't buy that we have the second cheapest squad in the Aviav premiership.

I know Mick said so in the media a month or so back, but if you just look at the size of our squad compared to previous years, there's clearly a significant increase in spending power.

Deano also kept schtum during the salary cap breach scandal when several clubs declared themselves as having not breached the cap.

Buying players out of their contracts such as Matavesi, and outbidding for the likes of DTHVDM, Goneva, Fonua etc. I can see us having the second cheapest squad now if we don't replace all our outgoings (Sm100).

mannin (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:42
There aren't many big time players on our books though. I'd think only Irish would be spending less than us which would tie in with the comment.

Wuss will be spending big on Hougaard, Teo, Schoenert, Denton, Potgieter. Glos on a number of big names, same for Bath, Sale and all of the sides as you move up the league.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:08
Irish were the lowest, we were next.

I don't know why you wouldn't believe it looking at the other squads. Only Sale would close for me and they have Faf, JOC, Solomona, Yarde, RJVR. They seem to have a smaller squad but players more likely to be on big bucks. I think Deano has saved money by offering longer deals to players rather than out-bidding.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:11
Quote:
Xanderman
Deano also kept schtum during the salary cap breach scandal when several clubs declared themselves as having not breached the cap.

That was a point of principle thing. The clubs came to an agreement; former artistic interpretations of the salary cap were a potential minefield where nobody in their right mind wanted to go. It was therefore considered in best interests to draw a line, set some rules that would be properly adhered to (and I believe they have been so far) and all would be fine.

Part of this agreement was to not go public about who may or may not have been bending, twisting, tying knots in the rules, and who had been squeaky clean. It soon became clear that some clubs were then making statements saying it wasn't them, which by implication suggested that anybody who didn't say so must have been fiddling the figures. It was becoming a process of elimination, so our club refused to take part in this and rightly so. It was pretty obvious that we couldn't have broken the cap even if we had wanted to, so wouldn't exactly surprise anybody, but it was a principled stand & stopped the almost daily statements of denial from other clubs, which could have started off the bun-fight again to the benefit of absolutely nobody.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:17
Goneva, Sinoti, Welsh, Cooper, Matavesi, Flood, Wilson, Welch, Latu, Hogg, Lawson, Socino, DTHVDM, Young, Tait and Takalua will all have been on big money this season.

09 May, 2018 13:38
Quote:
steve1888
Goneva, Sinoti, Welsh, Cooper, Matavesi, Flood, Wilson, Welch, Latu, Hogg, Lawson, Socino, DTHVDM, Young, Tait and Takalua will all have been on big money this season.

the above are not expensive in comparison to other players in other squads. and it depends what you mean by big money?

Also i think our squad must be the best "value for money" squad in the prem.

i believe the players stay and arrive to buy into the club culture rather that the wage packet and this is what grows the club.
besides how many of the above are regular current tier 1 international players who can ask for big wages?

i would say that they are payed accordingly rather than big money

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:46
Quote:
Doddie's tartan trews
Quote:
steve1888

the above are not expensive in comparison to other players in other squads. and it depends what you mean by big money?

Also i think our squad must be the best "value for money" squad in the prem.

i believe the players stay and arrive to buy into the club culture rather that the wage packet and this is what grows the club.
besides how many of the above are regular current tier 1 international players who can ask for big wages?

i would say that they are payed accordingly rather than big money

I agree Doddie. You look at those players listed and none of them are huge names. Goneva and Flood are perhaps the "stars" but on the wrong side of 30 to attract the mega money.

Faf at Sale is rumoured to be on 400k plus...that's possibly more than 100k more than our top earner (if my sources are correct).

dick g (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:13
Just think of where we've got with what we have. I would imagine that beating the Wage Cap is not that difficult. For instance, does the Cap prevent a club from buying a house and allowing a player to live there rent free? Cars ditto. All I know is that I'd rather be a Falcon than a Wasp, Shark, Warrior, Tiger, Chieftain or any other creature.

Getitright (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:55
Don't kid yourself that we aren't paying big money to our stars who may well be on the wrong end of 30!

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 17:06
Quote:
Getitright
Don't kid yourself that we aren't paying big money to our stars who may well be on the wrong end of 30!

I don't doubt we are, but not by current standards. I know how much Goneva was offered to come for example, but it's not near what some of the other sides like Sale and Worcester are shelling out.

Getitright (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 20:27
Pool falcon. I also have some knowledge on a number of our senior players and we are certainly paying them market rate! It may not be Dan Carters purported £900K but it is not an insignificant sum and has been negotiated on the most favourable terms in each circumstance.
I think people would be surprised at the outlay and we shouldnít be trying to compare with other clubs as most deals involve staged payments, split salary between the outgoing and incoming clubs, image rights, etc, etc. This makes a true comparison very difficult.

09 May, 2018 21:00
In some ways salaries comparisons are quite misleading as Quins and Sarries for instance are going to have to offer a premium due to the colossal cost of living in London compared to us oop North.

aidanb (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 22:45
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
In some ways salaries comparisons are quite misleading as Quins and Sarries for instance are going to have to offer a premium due to the colossal cost of living in London compared to us oop North.

Surely the club is paying for the house they live in etc. So thatís not reflected in the pay

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 03:55
Quote:
Getitright
Pool falcon. I also have some knowledge on a number of our senior players and we are certainly paying them market rate! It may not be Dan Carters purported £900K but it is not an insignificant sum and has been negotiated on the most favourable terms in each circumstance.
I think people would be surprised at the outlay and we shouldnít be trying to compare with other clubs as most deals involve staged payments, split salary between the outgoing and incoming clubs, image rights, etc, etc. This makes a true comparison very difficult.

Well whatever we spend, to finish 4th top on the 2nd lowest budget is some achievement.

mannin (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:00
Quote:
Getitright

Of course we're paying them market rate, but we also don't have numerous players on 300k upwards as some do. Wasps have an interesting approach currently where they get a few megastars and fill the squad with relatively cheap Championship players (alongside academy) to balance the cap.

mannin (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:02
Quote:
steve1888

I would think that only Flood (250k was mentioned initially), Goneva, DTH, Mermoz, Sinoti and possibly Matavesi would be on anything like what we'd call "big money".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 08:03 by mannin.

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:50
Accommodation etc are all caught by the wage cap:-

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

mannin (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:56
Quote:
London_Falcon

Only if declared...

steve1888 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:41
Quote:
mannin
Quote:
steve1888

I would think that only Flood (250k was mentioned initially), Goneva, DTH, Mermoz, Sinoti and possibly Matavesi would be on anything like what we'd call "big money".

i'd think alot more than you think will be on or around that , some more. Not a criticsm of the club BTW I fully applaud it and it's surely reaping it's rewards.

dick g (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:52
Quote:
mannin
Quote:
London_Falcon

Only if declared...

What can you be suggesting.😈😈😈

Osric (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 18:12
Do we know where Evan's going? Would still love to keep him as I think he adds a lot and is one of our best wingers.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 18:36
NZ I think

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 16:58
He told me he was heading to Auckland.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 18:30
Blues???

mannin (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 08:27
Think he'd have to play club rugby before getting a Super Rugby contract.

mannin (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 09:33
Own up, who was asking Olmstead all of the Falcons related questions on Instagram yesterday?

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 19:14
No but I read his responses. Would love to come back but Deano didnít offer him a deal.

Can only guess itís due to overseas rules but still feels like a big loss to me.

16 July, 2018 17:44
Kind of perplexed by the overseas rule, you basically look like you can have your matchday squad full to the brim of Scots, Welsh, Kolpaks etc etc but you have a couple of Ďforeignersí and you're doomed. Presumably Iím taking too much of a simplistic view.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 18:16
Exiled Falcon, correct, you can only have two Ďforeignersí on the field, and as you say, unlimited EU citizens and Kolpaks.

Thatís totally separate from EQP, which is a monetary incentive, rather than a rule. A lot of money, I should add!

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 19:34
Quote:
markismith50
Exiled Falcon, correct, you can only have two Ďforeignersí on the field, and as you say, unlimited EU citizens and Kolpaks.
Thatís totally separate from EQP, which is a monetary incentive, rather than a rule. A lot of money, I should add!

Do we currently have any ďforeignersĒ in the squad then? Jake Payne?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 20:48
Not to my knowledge, though I wonít claim to know the passport status of every player.

mannin (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 07:49
Isn't Jack Payne quite local?

pityacker (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 08:32
Quote:
mannin
Isn't Jack Payne quite local?

Australian under 20 player on Falcons website.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 08:38
Jack's dad used to play for the Scarlets and I'm fairly sure he has a UK passport through living here at the time. He has lived in the UK for quite a while during his childhood.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net