rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 27-Saturday 28 July Premiership Sevens at Franklin's Gardens

Saturday 11 August v Nottingham Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Exeter Chiefs 36-5 Newcastle Falcons

Good to see Wilson in an England shirt again
Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 16:50
Sat in the sun down at Rugby HQ and great to see that Mr Wilson has had another deserved run out in an England shirt. On around the 50 minute mark , he tackled soundly , carried and encouraged the team throughout. Sadly his efforts couldn’t make up for a very poor England team that lost 45-63 to the Barbarians who to be fair played excellently. Surely he must deserve a regular place!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2018 07:26 by Rafpilot2000.

Re: Wilson in an England shirt again
AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 16:56
Deserves it over Robshaw I think who I thought was awful today, but it will be the same old team playing in South Africa still will be cheering them on though. smiling smiley

Re: Wilson in an England shirt again
Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 17:05
As per the other post. The harlequins mafia have had their day and given the wealth of talent now in the Premiership Eddy Jones needs a re think as we were very poor .

Re: Good to see Wilson in an England shirt again
Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 21:32
How did he play?

My England team would be

Haley
Daly
Tuilagi
Slade
Nowell
Farrell
Youngs
Vunipola
Graham
Underhill
Launchbury
Itoje
Genge
Hartley
Williams

Vunipola
George
Brookes
Kruis
Wilson
Robson
Cipriani
Watson

People will hate me saying Brooke’s, but when fit he is excellent

pa8 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 23:12
Haley’s made himself available for Ireland hasn’t he ? That’s why he’s off to Munster next season.

Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 05:59
Yes, only because England did not show interest. The young lad, can’t remember his name, at Gloucester is pretty good.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 08:12
Quote:
Oneforthefatboys
Yes, only because England did not show interest. The young lad, can’t remember his name, at Gloucester is pretty good.

Jason Woodward

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 08:17
Woodward is 27, not exactly a youngster.

Haley was looked at in the Saxons in SA and did ok, his form for Sale hasn't exactly been great and JOC is preferred. I'm not sure how you can state England showed no interest?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 08:49
I never understand how Alex Goode doesn't get games at fullback, as good as any other option but he can raise his game for the big games.

Daly should be 13 for me.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 09:24
I think Daly could be a fantastic 15, he has everything needed, he's such a good player.

Good lacks pace and physicality for me which is required at the top level. He always seemed to struggle for England when he had he chance.

mannin (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 09:46
Exactly my thinking re. Daly Steve. Get your best players in positions where they can influence the game.

Let Ford and Farrell fight it out for the 10 shirt (know who i'd rather), pick a proper 12 and give Daly a proper run at 13.

When all fit i'd go -

1. Vunipola
2. George
3. Cole
4. Itoje
5. Launchbury
6. Shields
7. Curry
8. Vunipola
9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. Watson
12. Tuilagi
13. Daly
14. May
15. Nowell

16. Cowan-Dickie
17. Genge
18. Sinckler
19. Lawes
20. Simmonds
21. Robson
22. Cipriani
23. Slade

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 10:21
I actually thought Daly got involved in the game loads at FB at the weekend, possibly more than he would at 13 perhaps?

mannin (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 10:50
The way England play, the FB tidies up and generally takes the ball as far as possible before setting up a ruck. Nothin like the way most sides now use a FB as a playmaker/strike runner.

What remains to be seen is whether that is per instruction or just the way Mike Brown decides to do it... Sunday's game was so loose I don't think anything can be read from it.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 21:23
Agree with Steve pm Daly at 13 and Goode at 15, but Woodward looks like a great attacking option at 15.

Brown reminds me of Tait. Mostly unremarkable but (almost) totally reliable. That level of consistency must be a god send to a coach in such a vital position.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 21:25
Not meaning to be harsh on tait there. Really safe and solid option but not a full back that scares defenders with ball in hand.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 13:33
No Wilson in the 23

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 13:48
Eddie picking his favourite players again
Ford, Robshaw, Brown should all be given time off
Shields on the bench as second row cover but has been playing back row for the Canes all season? Hughes back from injury with little game time but straight in the squad
Mark should at least be on the bench

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 17:26
Has there ever been another player who has won an England cap before he has ever lived in the country or played a single game for an English club?

It seems completely bonkers to me that a Kiwi passport holder who has never lived in England can play for the National team while the top try scorer in France and one of the best finishers in Europe, Chris Ashton who has been playing full back most of the season for Toulon, is not eligible for selection.

Meanwhile Eddie has selected a novice at Full Back and a full back on the wing.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 17:46
I think Brown on the wing is a bad call, and I am not enthused by May either. I'm happy with the other backs, though they seem lightweight as a group.

Forwards wise - Shields has 2 English parents. Would an England football coach overlook a top level Real Madrid player who has a Spanish passport but 2 English parents and wants to play for England. He is English but qualifies for NZ on residency.

The actual issue for me relating to his selection is more his lack of preparation with the squad and systems. Couple that with the fact that Wilson can cover lock and back row very effectively and Robshaw's woeful form and I think there is a curious call or two there.

I am also curious about Isiekwe. Clearly a very capable player, and yet not first choice at lock for his club where two England players are ahead of him. I do prefer Itoje at lock though.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 19:12
Quote:
Cantabrian
Has there ever been another player who has won an England cap before he has ever lived in the country or played a single game for an English club?
It seems completely bonkers to me that a Kiwi passport holder who has never lived in England can play for the National team while the top try scorer in France and one of the best finishers in Europe, Chris Ashton who has been playing full back most of the season for Toulon, is not eligible for selection.

Meanwhile Eddie has selected a novice at Full Back and a full back on the wing.

Piers Francis made his England debut before playing for Northampton I think. Not sure if he'd ever played in England.

Ashton knew the deal when he went to Toulon, and the England-based-players-only rule allows England the most access to players (for all the good that seems to do) and subsidises the Premiership, while encouraging our best players to stay here, so it's probably not going to change.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 10:24
Daly is a top class footballer. He looks absolutely made for 15. Pace, brains, great handling and a thunderbolt of a boot.

Brown is there simply as a security blanket. The signal that he's on the way out and probably wont make the World Cup. Similar to Robshaw I think. Curry (and his brother) is the future so Robshaw is good to have on the other flank at the moment, until Shields / Underhill / Willis / Mercer is ready for that 6 spot.

You wont see the same team in the 3 games on this tour. Jones is blooding / trialling a few things. Mark Wilson will get plenty of gametime.

The biggest thing for me is getting the tactics right..which were awful In the 6n.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 20:09
Well he has an attack coach now.... so that should mix it up.

Of course by the AIs we will need a defence coach....

One in, one out, but never enough!

RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 18:05
I do think Robshaw has been underrated by England fans over the years but there is no way on this earth is he currently a better play than Wilson

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 18:17
I think the result bore out our concerns.

Jones substituted Isiekwe because he wanted a back row forward in the lock position. If he had Wilson on the bench he would have had exactly that.

To me, De Klerk's freedom and space is down to the back row not being up to it. I think Billy V is a yard short of pace - he's only just back there is no way his fitness is Ellis Park test levels. Robshaw put the tackles in but not much more. Curry perhaps learnt a lot, but didn't convince me he is the missing 7 we need. Jury remains out on him.

As to the backs - didn't really have much ball outside 20 minutes. Think Brown was shown up for pace defending the line and Daly showed his inexperience in the position.

Didn't see anything exceptional from Shields to warrant fast tracking. Thought Itoje and George were a bit ill disciplined.

All in all, an unnecessary loss.

DB23 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 20:38
Isiekwe was selected because he plays for Saracens, no other reason. He was rightly, and embarrassingly, subbed before half time.

Itoje is always ill-disciplined.

Shields should never have played, but did and made no difference.

Billy V is not fit and should not have played, the game was at altitude for flips sake.

Brown took his try well but he’s far from the best option on the left wing.

Mako’s charge on De Klerk (which he milked) was just dull.

Ford, Farrell and May showed up well in parts of the game.

Our attacking threat was obvious and we could have comfortably won the game against an ordinary SA side but penalties, errors and missed tackles cost us the game.

Muddled thinking by Jones, again, with some bizarre selections including trying out some positional switches in a full test match against SA. Most DORs wouldn’t do that in a Premiership game.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2018 21:10
We certainly didn't try to play the game in the right part of the field. When we did we over kicked.

Possession and territory stats say it all.

mannin (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 11:40
Looked like we were playing touch. Utterly bizarre set-up and tactics again.

Wish I shared your optimism GF but I'm starting to think more and more that EJ was just a very fortunate beneficiary of Lancaster's work.

Isiekwe was definitely not the issue and to sub him off before half-time just makes selection look incompetent.

Same theme remains for me, we are not going to win the World Cup with Ford at 10 and Robshaw in the back row.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 17:02
I think they are a little short on intelligence. They don't seem to be able to respond without the coaches help to circumstances changing adversely. The altitude magnified this.

If they continue in such vein then they certainly won't threaten decent teams.let alone the best.

As you say while Farrell stays captain, Robshaw in the back row and Ford at 10 - in their current form - they are not a challenge.

Jones seems to have fallen into Lancaster's habit of picking players despite their form.

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 18:12
I completely agree with you DB. I thought Itoje was poor yesterday and everyone screamed for Daly to play at 15 but I thought it didn’t work yesterday, yes he scored a try and a monster kick but defensively he was left wanting. It could be down to Brown being on the wing as it seemed a lot of the attack from South Africa came from his wing. I find defensively England struggle at times.

Quote:
DB23
Isiekwe was selected because he plays for Saracens, no other reason. He was rightly, and embarrassingly, subbed before half time.

Billy V is not fit and should not have played, the game was at altitude for flips sake.

Our attacking threat was obvious and we could have comfortably won the game against an ordinary SA side but penalties, errors and missed tackles cost us the game.

Muddled thinking by Jones, again, with some bizarre selections including trying out some positional switches in a full test match against SA. Most DORs wouldn’t do that in a Premiership game.

mannin (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 22:00
Quote:
alnwickfalcon
I completely agree with you DB. I thought Itoje was poor yesterday and everyone screamed for Daly to play at 15 but I thought it didn’t work yesterday, yes he scored a try and a monster kick but defensively he was left wanting. It could be down to Brown being on the wing as it seemed a lot of the attack from South Africa came from his wing. I find defensively England struggle at times.

Quote:
DB23

Daly has barely played 15 all season and Brown not at all on the wing. Mind boggling.

Let's see if the stubborn Australian makes some sensible change for the 2nd test. Need a much more balanced bench too.

For me -

1. Vunipola
2. George (subbed early if as tired looking as yesterday)
3. Williams
4. Itoje
5. Hill
6. Shields
7. Curry
8. Vunipola
9. Youngs
10. Cipriani
11. Daly
12. Farrell
13. Slade
14. May
15. Woodward

16. Cowan-Dickie
17. Genge
18. Sinckler
19. Lauchbury
20. Simmonds
21. Robson
22. Lozowski
23. Solomona

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
10 June, 2018 23:59
Mannin do you not have Wilson even in the bench?

mannin (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 09:00
I think Simmonds off the bench is the best option as he has so much pace. It'd be a toss-up with Wilson/Shields starting at 6 for me - maybe one in the second test and one in the third.

11 June, 2018 10:25
I think the likes of Cipirani, Robdon and Wilson will only play if we lose the second test. Then Jones can say he's trying different things.

11 June, 2018 11:12
I think there is a massive problem in the coaching set up aswell.

mannin (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 13:12
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
I think the likes of Cipirani, Robdon and Wilson will only play if we lose the second test. Then Jones can say he's trying different things.

Sadly, i agree.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 18:17
I'd send Mako, George, Itoje, Daly and Farrell home, wouldn't have taken them in the first place. They must be knackered after two huge years of rugby with little break. By the World Cup they'll probably by completely burned out, Jones' intense training not helping. We have Genge, LCD, Launchbury, Woodward and Slade/Loz who can get a chance instead.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 18:28
... and so the pressures of being an international coach.

A run of poor results and then your scrabbling for a win - do you go for tried and tested but may be knackered and out of form, or do you go for inexperienced and fresh but could be found significantly wanting? I guess it's why they get paid the big money for moments like this.

All I would say is that there is no doubt of Jones ability and it only takes a couple of lucky moments and a win to get confidence flowing. Look at where Falcons have got to, and there are not many of us who have agreed with Deano all the way along the journey.....

Osric (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 21:26
Yes but Jones' methods are well known. Beast a team for a year or two and see some improvements, then plateau as the broken bodies need time to recover. It's never sustained. A kiwi mate was laughing when we appointed him with Japan in mind. He said one/two years improved results then a lot of broken bodies and a poor World Cup. We'll see.

11 June, 2018 22:37
Quote:
Kwa444
... and so the pressures of being an international coach.
A run of poor results and then your scrabbling for a win - do you go for tried and tested but may be knackered and out of form, or do you go for inexperienced and fresh but could be found significantly wanting? I guess it's why they get paid the big money for moments like this.

All I would say is that there is no doubt of Jones ability and it only takes a couple of lucky moments and a win to get confidence flowing. Look at where Falcons have got to, and there are not many of us who have agreed with Deano all the way along the journey.....

Sadly I have to disagree Jones has proven his incompetence. The team is based in Durban (sea level) yet for the first two test we are playing about a miles above sea level. Why are the players not based at this altitude Jones has coached in SA before he should already know this? Shame we took Jones instead of Jake White. But I suppose Jones and the arrogant RFU go hand in hand

12 June, 2018 10:00
Agree, lots of SH fans said we would regret signing Jones as he starts to go stale after two years. Its being proved scarily accurate.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 15:06
We lost to South Africa by 1 score on their own turf in first game on tour ? I think there's been a lot of overaction tbh. Yeah some selections maybe questionable but some spot on. See where we are after 3 tests.

I wouldnt send Farrell home , he will want to be there and played well. Itoje while not his best game didnt have a shocker. Our lot are end of season and they are mid season if that.

Yes Jones is now being questioned but also has to be given the chance to put in right.

When we were poor under Deano for quite a while he was given time to fix it.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 17:43
I agree that there is a danger of over-reaction after just one test, but the signs didn't look promising, so I'm hoping for the second test he'll get back to a more orthodox selection, playing people in their best position together with Premiership hardened guys who've just had a good season.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 08:31
I think people are overreacting because of the huge lead England had and lost. Not acceptable at test level imo.

mannin (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 08:55
It's also not just one test but a whole 6N too. SA are not the powerhouse of old either.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 09:30
Yes, it's all relative. If we had lost like that to the Kiwis nobody would have a problem. Even to Oz we might have thought a shame but on balance not too bad.

However, that SA squad is very new and inexperienced, as well I suspect not really as good as other international side bar a few exceptions. Therefore the result is poor. However, England haven't exactly been playing well this year anyway so it was never a given.

The issue is rather the manner and the quality of the opposition than the loss. That said everyone gets worked up about staying at altitude but nowadays international sides can train at sea level and sleep in chambers that equate to altitude.

13 June, 2018 11:27
Had this only been down to one game you wouldn't get an overreaction as most would accept a loss to SA at altitude on their own turf.

Howevever its not...its followed a woeful 6n and poor performances prior to that.
Its been a steady decline in performance since the peak of the Australia tour!

And to add to it...key star players are looking like lost schoolboys! Itoje first up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2018 11:28 by GeordieFalcon.

mannin (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 11:45
I was on the Jones bandwagon but have been very sceptical about gameplay/selection for the past year.

A couple of weeks ago my scepticism turned into a full blown lack of belief when he was interviewed regarding the new attack coach appointment and stated that he brought him in as they didn't do any work on their attack in the 6n! Explains the performances in my eyes.

13 June, 2018 12:24
Quote:
mannin
I was on the Jones bandwagon but have been very sceptical about gameplay/selection for the past year.
A couple of weeks ago my scepticism turned into a full blown lack of belief when he was interviewed regarding the new attack coach appointment and stated that he brought him in as they didn't do any work on their attack in the 6n! Explains the performances in my eyes.

So why were we so awful at the breakdown? Do have no one coaching that either? And why is the defence like a seive?

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 12:41
Won more turnovers than SA and had a better tackle succes rate, we lost by 3 points it was our discipline that let us down

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 13:18
I did watch the start of the game again yesterday and it should be said that the tries that got the boks back into the game were very lucky!

First their was Faf's - which came from Itoje leaving the door open. I don't believe Itoje tripped or fell, I think he pulled out of the tackle after going for Faf because he realised the ball wasn't out and didn't want to give the penalty/possible card.

The second try was because Daly completely missed the ball, which was clearly incompetent as evidence by the look of disbelief on Ben Youngs face. Fortune favours the brave but that's a lot of luck to haul you back into a game.

.... and some crass mistakes that you wouldn't expect in the AP either.

14 June, 2018 11:28
Wilson makes the bench as lock cover great for mark. Tho I could recommend and outstanding lock but hey ho. Good luck to mark

pityacker (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 11:29
Mark Wilson on the bench as a replacement lock , Cipriani on the bench while Robshaw dropped for Shields with Brown still on the wing and Daley at full back , we have a mad man in charge of England Rugby and the chances of winning the World Cup next year decreasing every week.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 12:14
My thoughts exactly pityacker.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 14:47
Quote:
pityacker
Mark Wilson on the bench as a replacement lock , Cipriani on the bench while Robshaw dropped for Shields with Brown still on the wing and Daley at full back , we have a mad man in charge of England Rugby and the chances of winning the World Cup next year decreasing every week.
I really think Eddie's lost the plot. Wilson for Robshaw - straight swap but no bring in a New Zealand reject instead

14 June, 2018 15:03
I agree we'll not win the World Cup with this idiot in charge.

Mark Wilson is a tough as steel, quality back rower...and he gets picked on the bench as Second row cover!!! Dear lord.

I said before I actually wish Mark hadn't been selected for the tour, as he'll be used for cannon fodder then dumped again for the AI's like he was dumped after a great tour last summer in Argentina.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 15:45
Perhaps a little harsh.

EJ stated that he thought he needed a second rower with back row ability last week and swapped Isiekwe for Shields.

Now I thought that is why Isiekwe was selected, but clearly he didn't make the grade.

I don't think Shields is a reject, and I think Wilson fits the versatile lock/back row bench man EJ wants.

If I were to be critical of him, it is for picking Robshaw in the first place last week on form, and for selecting Isiekwe is such a torrid arena for a first cap.... but then I made that point at the time, before the game. It's a shame Eddie didn't just call me. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2018 15:49 by Kwa444.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 19:17
Incredibly harsh on Shields, not sure how he’s a reject. Think he is going to be the new fall guy a la Slammin’ Sam in the last World Cup.

Really like the look of the team other than the beyond weird selection of a guy who has forged an international and club career at FB on the wing. Very odd. Would have loved to have seen Woodward and Daly play but there you go. Really pleased for Wilson, hope he goes well.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 21:14
Would you class Chris Harris as a English reject choosing to play for Scotland then, ridiculous comment

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 21:37
Whoa! I'm glad I don't want to jump on the big bandwagon because there doesn't seem to be any room.......

Robshaw is cr@p......
Eddie Jones is cr@p....
Stuart Lancaster was cr@p..... (oh, look where he is now......)

Some of the "think they were great but really are has-beens" pundits** create a bandwagon and invite everyone on board.

Other than the odd choice of Brown on the wing (yes, he was sometimes done for pace - not sure the other options would have been much better? - but I didn't actually think he had a bad game at the weekend), I think this is a decent side.

** included in this list are Guscott and SCW (I don't do Sky much so can't comment first hand on their pundits)

16 June, 2018 18:13
Eddies England team are a walking cluster F***.

17 June, 2018 09:30
Well that just confirmed my feelings. Eddie Jones has lost it. The team is woeful.

mannin (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 09:46
Quote:
CharlieDog
Whoa! I'm glad I don't want to jump on the big bandwagon because there doesn't seem to be any room.......
Robshaw is cr@p......
Eddie Jones is cr@p....
Stuart Lancaster was cr@p..... (oh, look where he is now......)

Some of the "think they were great but really are has-beens" pundits** create a bandwagon and invite everyone on board.

Other than the odd choice of Brown on the wing (yes, he was sometimes done for pace - not sure the other options would have been much better? - but I didn't actually think he had a bad game at the weekend), I think this is a decent side.

** included in this list are Guscott and SCW (I don't do Sky much so can't comment first hand on their pundits)

We could've picked the best 10 in England, a form pack, a real winger, a 15 who's played there at some point this season... The list goes on.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 10:04
What worries me the most about England is the attitude with the players especially after the games by the sounds of it, I also still think there is players what are getting picked what are questionable selections, I would have Ciprani over Ford and still don't understand what the Harelquins players have done to deserve a call up. Don't really know what Marler brings to the team for example also the Sarries players don't seem in great form Mako Vunipola for example worrying times for Jones I think. smiling smiley

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 12:16
I hope Eddie goes for a good long reflective holiday well away from anything to do with rugby after this tour. He looks constantly stressed and needs a break. So do the Sarries boys, they are great players, but look burnt out after top level, non-stop rugby for too long.

I'd give most of remainder of the 2nd test starting XV an enforced rest for the third test and let all the talented lads who've spent the last few weeks twiddling their thumbs in the stands get a full game.

Lastly, you've gotta feel for Mark Wilson. What must he have felt after years spent earning a place in the England test squad only to have to watch Brad Shields lumbering round the field looking like a spare part. It's not Shields fault, poor lad, but that of Mr Eddie Jones. Time for a few tinnies on the beach Eddie.

mannin (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 12:59
Is he going to continue with the same tired looking squad for the 3rd test or make wholesale changes and make the tour worthwhile for the lads who haven't had a sniff yet?

17 June, 2018 16:16
What concerns me is that the SA forwards look dynamic, fast, powerful and yet we look like a veterans team out for a Sunday run out...

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 19:03
to Benji P -Shields didn't get a sniff at the ABs so yeah, he's areject - they didn't want him. It's IMHO also an insult to English backrowers that he''s fast tracked into the squad he's no McCAw is he?.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 08:30
Chris Harris didn’t get a sniff at the England squad so he is also a reject, brad was in the NZ training squads in 2012 and 2016 so was pretty close, would you rather take a look at a potential player for the 2019 World Cup as soon as you get the chance too or would you rather leave it until under a year out

pityacker (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 11:50
Mark Wilson on the bench which has a 6 to 2 split this week with Robshaw starting again and Sam Simmonds also benched. Cipriani starts but nobody else out of the squad brought in and with the series lost and this team nowhere near world cup candidates it's very disappointing that Jones hasn't used the opportunity to show what other players can do.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 12:04
You've gotta feel for all the players who will have toured South Africa without getting a minute on a pitch. I wonder who'll get the yellow card first...Marler or Sinckler?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 12:44
So drops Robshaw , Drops Shields brings back Robshaw - Mark should've had the chance from the off ! Putting alot on Ciprianis shoulders and wouldve moved Daly into 13.

pityacker (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 14:21
Quote:
steve1888
So drops Robshaw , Drops Shields brings back Robshaw - Mark should've had the chance from the off ! Putting alot on Ciprianis shoulders and wouldve moved Daly into 13.
fr
I believe Shields wasn’t considered as unwell.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 22:51
Robshaw dropped completely and then brought back to start says it all
Mark should be in at 6

pa8 (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 07:11
Quote:
Cantabrian
You've gotta feel for all the players who will have toured South Africa without getting a minute on a pitch. I wonder who'll get the yellow card first...Marler or Sinckler?
Depends which one wins the race to get their hands on the one brain cell available for their use.

22 June, 2018 11:36
I genuinely don't get Jones management style...or what he actually wants and is doing?

Robson - Scrum halves are hugely questionable, yet this lad is on tour and not even had a minute??

Mark Wilson - Great in Argentina, dumped and never seen again then picked up for this tour and gets scraps here and there!!

Itoje needs a rest...Hill the Exeter lock is in the tour squad yet nothing until now when hes benched.

Simmonds...has he even played? Hes the one with rocket pace to match the boks...yet not even a minute I don't think.

Cipriani - What an earth. He wont make another squad as theres Joe Simmonds of Exeter and Marcus Smith of Quins coming through...and Malins at Sarries. So why take Cipriani for a 3rd test start when the series is already lost?

Mercer - Hes a hugely promising player...why was he not taken and given a run out.

Hughes, Billy V - Why were they even taken...they're bodies are broken at the moment. They need huge rest. Billy then suffers ANOTHER broken arm. Itoje is another that probably shouldn't have toured and been given a full summer off.

In fact the whole Sarries contingent who played in the Lions etc.

We're crying out for a big strong 12 with skills...is Sam James not that player? Why hasn't he been taken. He always impresses me.

Just so many questions about EJ's management that are not being answered.

Amen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/06/2018 11:37 by GeordieFalcon.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 16:47
Agree on most, disagree on Cipriani, class act on the pitch and likely to play alot for Gloucester so no reason he shouldn't go to the world Cup, streets ahead of Ford for me.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 19:11
Never understood what people see in Ford, not saying he is a bad player but overall I think Cipriani is a much better option. smiling smiley

23 June, 2018 19:42
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
to Benji P -Shields didn't get a sniff at the ABs so yeah, he's areject - they didn't want him. It's IMHO also an insult to English backrowers that he''s fast tracked into the squad he's no McCAw is he?.

He was on a AB contract so yeah they did want him. And also capt of the hurricanes. Not many English players have ever achieved that in NZ

23 June, 2018 19:50
On mark this tour I think even with limited game time he's proved what a valuable asset he can be to Jones. Marks closer to that japan plane ticket then before with some great 'FINISHERS' preformances

Leipziger (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 13:39
Notwithstanding yesterday's win, I think the best thing Eddie Jones could do now is employ a new defence coach from either the Panama or Tunisia football teams - none of those guys ever miss a rugby tackle!

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
24 June, 2018 17:28
The Swiss looked pretty handy.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net