rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 16 November v Harlequins at Twickenham Stoop, 7.45pm

Friday 23 November v Bath Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 22-7 Bath Rugby

New season.
pityacker (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 08:09
Looking at some of the quality recruitment for the new season by a number of clubs and looking at the leavers and recruits by Falcons and the apparent lack of activity am I alone in thinking so far we are going into the new season not only numerically but quality wise in a weaker position than last season ?
position leavers recruits
back 3 Agulla - Van Der Merwe Arscott
centre Socino - Mermoz Williams
half backs Willis ---------
props Vickers - Ilnicki Mulipola
hooker Lawson - Sowrey McGuigan
locks Olmstead - Civetta ---------
back row Hogg - Latu - Orr Graham - Collet - Nagusa

Re: New season.
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 08:39
We have mostly replaced like for like but with younger players and EQP players. This isnít an issue
My only concern is whether the likes of Connon, Matavesi jr, Charlie Wilson for example are ready to be dropped in the deep end if needed. In my opinion we are short of an outside centre and a fly half
I would have loved a top end prop and a full back to add to what we have but you canít have everything

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 09:25
Quote:
pityacker
Looking at some of the quality recruitment for the new season by a number of clubs and looking at the leavers and recruits by Falcons and the apparent lack of activity am I alone in thinking so far we are going into the new season not only numerically but quality wise in a weaker position than last season ?
position leavers recruits
back 3 Agulla - Van Der Merwe Arscott
centre Socino - Mermoz Williams
half backs Willis ---------
props Vickers - Ilnicki Mulipola
hooker Lawson - Sowrey McGuigan
locks Olmstead - Civetta ---------
back row Hogg - Latu - Orr Graham - Collet - Nagusa

But looking through this:

Aguilla was a bit part player and VDM was a no part player..... Arscott can also cover full back (as can Connon and Cowell)
Mermoz was a no part player either. Socino is a shame but I have always rated Jonny Williams. Hopefully Tom Penny can also kick on from injury and Charlie Wilson can start to step up.
For what ever reason Willis was never rated by the coaches but we have Flood (despite being highly overrated) and Hodgson - as well as Matavesi Jr and Connon
Bobby was probably at the end of his career and Ilnicki never really got a chance - Mulipola is an improvement. Hopefully the other lads can stay fit......
Hookers - we have Cooper, Chopper and Blamire coming through (who made England team this year) so I think we are well enough stocked - McGuigan has a monumental amount to prove.
Olmsted is also a shame (though there must be a reason - presumably EQP) and Civetta just didn't play - but we should be OK here
Whilst Ally was playing some of the best rugby of his career (IMHO) he was only an occasional player..... I think we have more than adequate replacements.

Add to that the other 40 odd players that all have another years expereince competing at the top end of the league.

So overall, I don't share your concerns - I would like another centre and prop - but only if the right ones became available.

I doubt Deano is going to risk undoing all the good work of the last 5 years, even though we did exceed expectations last season, by weakening the side

lizard118 (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 09:44
Olmsted, Socino and Willis are a loss since they still had a lot to offer, with some mileage on the clock. I think we can cover Olmsted and Socino, Willis I'm surprised by as we're not exactly awash with top fly-halves.
He (Willis) is a naturally gifted fly-half, an attacking fly-half and I thought suited our attacking game plan. I imagine it's something to do with his other attributes as I thought he had everything Hodgson and Flood had. I thought he had the game to be our number one fly-half,imo.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 14:45
Weíve also lost a lot of experience. Latu, Hogg, vickers and Lawson in the pack.

Definitely feels to me like weíre worse than we were a year ago, but in Deano we trust...

Osric (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 19:30
Flood gets crocked pre season and 10 looks a bit thin

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 20:31
Quote:
Osric
Flood gets crocked pre season and 10 looks a bit thin

Flood gets crocked at all and we are thin on the ground

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 21:25
Or Hodgson. As someone posted recently, we don't want Matavesi Jr or Connon thrown in at fly-half against Toulon or Saracens. I'm sure there must have been attempts to get another fly-half with some top level experience, even to Willis's level, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened yet. Still six weeks to go though.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 06:48
Willis is a good example of why we can't just go on a spending spree & buy in experienced players while the lads from the Academy are left to rot. If Willis had been eased into the match day squad last season I reckon he would still be here. The balance of the squad has been tilted too much towards reliance on older & more experienced players. At some point we need to have the courage to bring in the players of the future, or we may as well close down the Academy now. A lot of people won't like it, and yes we will take some batterings during the coming season, but a year from now we could have some promising young players who have enough Premiership experience to stop people being so frightened of them.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 07:08
Quote:
Andy Mac
Weíve also lost a lot of experience. Latu, Hogg, vickers and Lawson in the pack.
Definitely feels to me like weíre worse than we were a year ago, but in Deano we trust...

Yes but now Green, Welch, Mark Wilson, Alex Tait, etc are all hugely experienced. If Davy Wilson can stay fit he adds to that. Mulipola has been there and done it as has Cooper in foreign leagues.

I don't buy the experience argument.

17 July, 2018 07:14
Many of the players have been getting a grounding over the past few seasons. The likes of Radwan and Kibirige. Penny looks great for this level if he is over his injuries and Charlie Wilson is rated incredibly high by the staff.
Williams is a huge signing in my opinion also. Future England 12 that we're missing.

Glen young is miles better than Civetta etc and played quite a lot of games last season.

Guy Graham is rated very highly and his brother wasn't a bad signing! And Collett has had rave reviews in New Zealand!

We have to start giving the academy lads more gametime and trust or what's the point. Tigers, Saracens etc all do it!

Dean and his coaching team know what theyre doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2018 07:16 by GeordieFalcon.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 07:15
On the other hand, Falcons senior academy intake this year is one of the highest rated Falcons intakes ever, and one of the highest rated in the Prem in several years. We can't have those boys not getting game time over the next couple years, or they'll just leave to become superstars elsewhere.

17 July, 2018 07:17
Bang on Telfs!!

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 10:01
Deano has done it before. He reads young players well. Maybe he will know of mistakes he has made, but I would say that Leicester's dominance (alongside Wasps) for a decade after he left was due to bringing the right players through at the right time.

The same could have been said of Quins. What's the point in signing an experienced older average player from elsewhere when you have your own youngsters who are burning with a desire to make a point in their home club shirt?

You can't buy that kind of incentive and passion, and it will carry you far further in the long run.

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 10:05
Quote:
Monkey1
Willis is a good example of why we can't just go on a spending spree & buy in experienced players while the lads from the Academy are left to rot. If Willis had been eased into the match day squad last season I reckon he would still be here. The balance of the squad has been tilted too much towards reliance on older & more experienced players. At some point we need to have the courage to bring in the players of the future, or we may as well close down the Academy now. A lot of people won't like it, and yes we will take some batterings during the coming season, but a year from now we could have some promising young players who have enough Premiership experience to stop people being so frightened of them.

I have a certain degree of agreement with you but at the same time this list of players shows us we are also bringing our own on

Prop-

Adam Brocklebank
Trevor Davison
Jack Payne

Hooker-
George McGuigan
Santi Socino
Jamie Blamire (A)

Lock-

Andrew Davidson
Will Witty
Sean Robinson
Glen Young
Will Montgomery (A)

Back row-
Mark Wilson
Will Welch

Callum Chick
Simon Uzokwe (A)
Tom Marshall (A)
Rob Farrar (A)

Scrum half-
Tane Takulua
Ruaridh Dawson (A)
Callum Pascoe (A)
Cameron Nordii Kelemeti (A)
James Elliott (A)

Fly half-
Toby Flood [cheeky i know]
Joel Hodgson
Brett Connon

Centres-
Chris Harris
Tom Penny
Charlie Wilson (A)
George Wacokecoke (A)

Back three-
Cameron Cowell (A)
Zach Kibirige
Adam Radwan (A)
Alex Tait
Simon Hammersley
Ben Stevenson (A)
Josh Hodge (A)
Morgan Passman (A)

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 04:52
Iím in two minds on this on one hand I believe we still need a prop and centre like most but regarding a FH who would come to a club to be 3rd choice 10? I think itís time to drip feed Brett Connon into the premiership this season. Tho I am worried if Flood gets injured and we canít call on Andy Goode to pull us out of the mess again.

pa8 (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 07:32
Especially after Bath away last season I also thought Willis would push on and put pressure on Flood and Hodgson for the 10 shirt. I couldnít understand why he suddenly seemed to be frozen out. But maybe more experienced people have seen something I, among others, have missed, because letís face it, when it became known he wasnít staying, it doesnít look like he had a herd of Premiership clubs battering down his door to sign him.

alas (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 20:31
I wouldn't be expecting a big boost from the Academy as the Falcons had no representatives in the England U20 squad whatsoever. I'd be looking more at the players who already have some first team experience - Chick, Kribrige, Radwan, Wilson etc. - to have a bigger impact to counteract the retirees.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net