rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 17 August v Leinster Rugby at Energia Park, 7.00pm

Friday 24 August v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 47-26 Nottingham Rugby


Jersey programme goes online only
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 12:11
Jersey have decided not to produce printed programmes for the coming season, instead they will publish online the day before each game.

BBC

The article states that instead of selling just 200 - 300 copies they will reach a wider audience of perhaps 20,000 people. Technically that may be correct but surely there is a danger of it just disappearing amidst the vast swamp of online trivial media. A printed programme and an online news source do different things, I don't think it is quite as simplistic as they make out.

Food for thought?

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 12:22
This is an old chestnut and I think we are going to see more of this, especially at a lower level.

For Premiership games we contractually have to produce a programme. It's a tournament regulation and we'd get heavily fined if we didn't. It doesn't make much (if any) money and takes up a mountain of my time to produce, so I can see the argument against it. I'm personally a fan of programmes, if done well, but increasingly I'm in the minority.

For the European Challenge Cup we haven't produced programmes for the past few years, as with the expected crowd size it would lose money as well as taking up a fortnight of my time. For the Heineken Champions Cup this season we have made the decision that we will produce a programme, but the proof will be in the pudding for future seasons in terms of how many people actually buy them, as it's not a tournament regulation for European competition.

For domestic cup games we won't be doing a programme this season, the same as friendly games. It's a vacuum for my time, and if it's losing money there's just not an argument for doing it.

But you'll have them this season for Prem and Europe. We've had a price freeze of £3 for well over a decade now, and my understanding is that we will be increasing the cover price to £3.50 this season to try and meet some of the associated costs, ie increased price of paper, and lower sales figures in an increasingly online world.

Hopefully those who value the experience of having a match-day programme will keep buying them, but it's fair to say their long-term viability is up for discussion if the numbers continually don't stack up.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/07/2018 12:24 by markismith50.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
aidanb (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 12:50
I would have thought the Prem would have moved to an app for each club which included the programme things

and not that phising app which was out a couple of years ago - which i dont think was Premier rugby

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 12:52
Longer term Aidan you could well be right, but for the time being we still have to produce a printed issue for Prem games.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
aidanb (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 14:03
Quote:
markismith50
Longer term Aidan you could well be right, but for the time being we still have to produce a printed issue for Prem games.

I feel your pain

I work in an organisation which uses Fax machines as a first point of communication. When I suggest we email the information to a ward or hospital department the intake of breath on the other end is palpable.

One day the concept of printing a bit of paper to be read and then possibly discarded into landfill might stop.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 14:06
Funnily enough, the only reason we still have a fax machine at work is because the medical people insist on it. Not the medical people at the club, I should stress.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
samlee99 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 14:49
Quote:
markismith50
This is an old chestnut and I think we are going to see more of this, especially at a lower level.
For Premiership games we contractually have to produce a programme. It's a tournament regulation and we'd get heavily fined if we didn't. It doesn't make much (if any) money and takes up a mountain of my time to produce, so I can see the argument against it. I'm personally a fan of programmes, if done well, but increasingly I'm in the minority.

For the European Challenge Cup we haven't produced programmes for the past few years, as with the expected crowd size it would lose money as well as taking up a fortnight of my time. For the Heineken Champions Cup this season we have made the decision that we will produce a programme, but the proof will be in the pudding for future seasons in terms of how many people actually buy them, as it's not a tournament regulation for European competition.

For domestic cup games we won't be doing a programme this season, the same as friendly games. It's a vacuum for my time, and if it's losing money there's just not an argument for doing it.

But you'll have them this season for Prem and Europe. We've had a price freeze of £3 for well over a decade now, and my understanding is that we will be increasing the cover price to £3.50 this season to try and meet some of the associated costs, ie increased price of paper, and lower sales figures in an increasingly online world.

Hopefully those who value the experience of having a match-day programme will keep buying them, but it's fair to say their long-term viability is up for discussion if the numbers continually don't stack up.

In these days when the internet is so readily available and can often provide so much of what is in a programme is ther a case of going back to the old days where programmes were smaller, cheaper and basically little more than teamsheets?

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
aidanb (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 14:59
Quote:
markismith50
Funnily enough, the only reason we still have a fax machine at work is because the medical people insist on it. Not the medical people at the club, I should stress.

yes we are governed by a rule that we should only email from nhs.net to nhs.net and IT are amazingly slow / reluctant to give all departments a generic email address to use.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 15:30
I had to send a fax for the medical department last year and honestly couldn't remember how to use the machine. Almost as ancient as writing a cheque!

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 17:59
I had to send a fax last week & had no idea how to use the machine. When we did finally remember which way up etc it still didn't send. We phoned the company who insisted we send their form by fax, only to be told that they no longer had a fax machine. It isn't just government departments that make such mistakes, private industry is equally as capable of doing stupid things.

As for programmes, I am not sure that any online presentation will ever do the same job. They are used & read in different ways in different circumstances & by different methods, one cannot replace the other. There is also a huge amount of online content already, and a programme will just be another item in an already crowded pool. At best people will just scan over a few items before they get distracted onto something else. People tend to read through a programme in a way that they don't with online content.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 18:07
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
markismith50
Longer term Aidan you could well be right, but for the time being we still have to produce a printed issue for Prem games.

I feel your pain

I work in an organisation which uses Fax machines as a first point of communication. When I suggest we email the information to a ward or hospital department the intake of breath on the other end is palpable.

One day the concept of printing a bit of paper to be read and then possibly discarded into landfill might stop.

And the world will be a far worse place.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
aidanb (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 18:24
Quote:
Monkey1
I had to send a fax last week & had no idea how to use the machine. When we did finally remember which way up etc it still didn't send. We phoned the company who insisted we send their form by fax, only to be told that they no longer had a fax machine. It isn't just government departments that make such mistakes, private industry is equally as capable of doing stupid things.
As for programmes, I am not sure that any online presentation will ever do the same job. They are used & read in different ways in different circumstances & by different methods, one cannot replace the other. There is also a huge amount of online content already, and a programme will just be another item in an already crowded pool. At best people will just scan over a few items before they get distracted onto something else. People tend to read through a programme in a way that they don't with online content.


Quote:
dick g
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
markismith50
Longer term Aidan you could well be right, but for the time being we still have to produce a printed issue for Prem games.

I feel your pain

I work in an organisation which uses Fax machines as a first point of communication. When I suggest we email the information to a ward or hospital department the intake of breath on the other end is palpable.

One day the concept of printing a bit of paper to be read and then possibly discarded into landfill might stop.

And the world will be a far worse place.


It ainít necessarily so.

Smartphones and tablets allow for online subscriptions and the thing could even be in pdf format

Note here : Iím not suggesting the end of journalism or reporters / correspondents here, in suggesting a change of form factor.

I donít buy a programme cos I canít be bothered to carry paper around.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 18:51
Smithy,

Why do clubs need to provide a match day program and whatís the punishment if you donít?

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 19:00
Falc Dancer. Because itís in the Premiership commercial regs, and weíd receive a big fine if we didnít produce one.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
Andy Mac (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 20:00
Iím guessing the prem regulations insist on it as itís a space for sponsors?

Smithy - have you ever considered getting an apprentice? Iím sure a young whippersnapper (although doesnít have to be young...) would relish the opportunity to come up with a programme and do some of the social media stuff.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 20:34
Quote:
markismith50
Falc Dancer. Because itís in the Premiership commercial regs, and weíd receive a big fine if we didnít produce one.

Cheers for the clarification Smithy, I expected you to say something along those lines

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 20:34
Andy, yeah itís primarily to fulfil sponsor contracts.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g (IP Logged)
02 August, 2018 18:45
Watching report on Look North about the demise of footy programmes. The Football League has removed the obligation to produce them. The end is nigh......

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 August, 2018 19:11
Yes, I was watching that with interest, Dick. I think weíre a few years away yet, but itís use it or lose it.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
03 August, 2018 15:12
When downsizing a couple of years ago, I had a massive clear out of "stuff" I had hung onto over the years for sentimental reasons.
There was never any question that I wouldn't keep the programmes that chronicled Morpeth RFC's National Cup run from 1975, even though the Bath programme is in pretty poor nick (it was one helluva weekend, even for an underage youngster.) I know digital records will remain, but like CD's and records as opposed to downloads, I like the tactile nature of programmes. It will be a shame when they disappear for good.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g (IP Logged)
03 August, 2018 20:48
Quote:
DeceptivePace
When downsizing a couple of years ago, I had a massive clear out of "stuff" I had hung onto over the years for sentimental reasons.
There was never any question that I wouldn't keep the programmes that chronicled Morpeth RFC's National Cup run from 1975, even though the Bath programme is in pretty poor nick (it was one helluva weekend, even for an underage youngster.) I know digital records will remain, but like CD's and records as opposed to downloads, I like the tactile nature of programmes. It will be a shame when they disappear for good.

Whuch is why I have 400 cds and 100 LPs.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
aidanb (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 00:01
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
DeceptivePace
When downsizing a couple of years ago, I had a massive clear out of "stuff" I had hung onto over the years for sentimental reasons.
There was never any question that I wouldn't keep the programmes that chronicled Morpeth RFC's National Cup run from 1975, even though the Bath programme is in pretty poor nick (it was one helluva weekend, even for an underage youngster.) I know digital records will remain, but like CD's and records as opposed to downloads, I like the tactile nature of programmes. It will be a shame when they disappear for good.

Whuch is why I have 400 cds and 100 LPs.

Get rid of the cdís

A lot of them will be badly compressed sound war stuff

The vinyl on be other hand is a thing of beauty.

However, that doesnít mean we should cling on to paper. Keep what you have but letís not chop down trees anymore to tell the people that the boss thinks we have a tough challenge today and if we do well we can win it.

(I am such a cynic I know but I like the words in the programmes I just donít need a glossy bit of paper to read it on)

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 13:57
CDs are things of beauty, scratchy old vinyl is a nostalgia thing, no more. If you get a CD of poor quality (it is rare) you put it in the bin, but most are superb.

Downloads on the other hand are usually so compressed that any decent HiFi exposes them as utter rubbish, only suitable for tinny output on nasty phones.

As for paper reduction, I find that most moves to eliminate paper actually end up using more of the stuff. Laws of unintended consequences & all that.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 07:19
New vinyl is too expensive. I know I started this digression into cds and vinyl, but I think we might get back to rugby now.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
aidanb (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 07:49
New vinyl is worth the money to get a quality product with sleeve notes and a massive improvement in sound quality over both streaming and cdís. The loudness war has ruined digital versions of music.

Vinyl also means you get to listen to the whole album

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 10:01
Quote:
aidanb
New vinyl is worth the money to get a quality product with sleeve notes and a massive improvement in sound quality over both streaming and cdís. The loudness war has ruined digital versions of music.
Vinyl also means you get to listen to the whole album

OK. I will continue. I describe the difference between CDs, downloads etc and vinyl thus. CDs etc play all the right notes in the right order. But vinyl also plays the space occupied by each note. This gives the added dimensional depth removed by excessive compression.

Hapily, I have a large collection of 70s LPs ( A lot of prog rock) from my time presenting a rock show for BBC Radio Newcastle. Anyone remember Bedrock? Old rockers never die........

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 12:52
My last word on this. At Tynemouth Station market today, I bought a vinyl copy of The Orchestral Tubular Bells to replace CD version.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
samlee99 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 13:53
I'm lost. Is this season's programme on CD or vinyl then?

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 14:29
We could do it as a tapestry, £300 per copy!

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 14:46
Quote:
markismith50
We could do it as a tapestry, £300 per copy!

Cheap.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
aidanb (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 13:51
Quote:
dick g
My last word on this. At Tynemouth Station market today, I bought a vinyl copy of The Orchestral Tubular Bells to replace CD version.

Quote:
dick g
Quote:
markismith50
We could do it as a tapestry, £300 per copy!

Cheap.

I knew it would be your last word (Sm100)

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
samlee99 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 14:39
Quote:
markismith50
We could do it as a tapestry, £300 per copy!

Excellent idea. Can we pay in groats?

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
Andy Mac (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 20:11
Iíd pay double if the programme was acted out through interpretive dance at half time.

 
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 20:52
Where thereís a will thereís a way, Andy!


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?