Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

NEW HOME SHIRT

Next two matches

Saturday 21 September 2019 v Jersey Reds at Stade Santander International, 3.00pm (Cup)

Sunday 29 September 2019 v Doncaster Knights at Kingston Park, 3.00pm (Cup)


Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g 03 August, 2018 20:48
Quote:
DeceptivePace
When downsizing a couple of years ago, I had a massive clear out of "stuff" I had hung onto over the years for sentimental reasons.
There was never any question that I wouldn't keep the programmes that chronicled Morpeth RFC's National Cup run from 1975, even though the Bath programme is in pretty poor nick (it was one helluva weekend, even for an underage youngster.) I know digital records will remain, but like CD's and records as opposed to downloads, I like the tactile nature of programmes. It will be a shame when they disappear for good.

Whuch is why I have 400 cds and 100 LPs.

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
aidanb 04 August, 2018 00:01
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
DeceptivePace
When downsizing a couple of years ago, I had a massive clear out of "stuff" I had hung onto over the years for sentimental reasons.
There was never any question that I wouldn't keep the programmes that chronicled Morpeth RFC's National Cup run from 1975, even though the Bath programme is in pretty poor nick (it was one helluva weekend, even for an underage youngster.) I know digital records will remain, but like CD's and records as opposed to downloads, I like the tactile nature of programmes. It will be a shame when they disappear for good.

Whuch is why I have 400 cds and 100 LPs.

Get rid of the cdís

A lot of them will be badly compressed sound war stuff

The vinyl on be other hand is a thing of beauty.

However, that doesnít mean we should cling on to paper. Keep what you have but letís not chop down trees anymore to tell the people that the boss thinks we have a tough challenge today and if we do well we can win it.

(I am such a cynic I know but I like the words in the programmes I just donít need a glossy bit of paper to read it on)

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
Monkey1 04 August, 2018 13:57
CDs are things of beauty, scratchy old vinyl is a nostalgia thing, no more. If you get a CD of poor quality (it is rare) you put it in the bin, but most are superb.

Downloads on the other hand are usually so compressed that any decent HiFi exposes them as utter rubbish, only suitable for tinny output on nasty phones.

As for paper reduction, I find that most moves to eliminate paper actually end up using more of the stuff. Laws of unintended consequences & all that.

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g 05 August, 2018 07:19
New vinyl is too expensive. I know I started this digression into cds and vinyl, but I think we might get back to rugby now.

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
aidanb 05 August, 2018 07:49
New vinyl is worth the money to get a quality product with sleeve notes and a massive improvement in sound quality over both streaming and cdís. The loudness war has ruined digital versions of music.

Vinyl also means you get to listen to the whole album

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g 05 August, 2018 10:01
Quote:
aidanb
New vinyl is worth the money to get a quality product with sleeve notes and a massive improvement in sound quality over both streaming and cdís. The loudness war has ruined digital versions of music.
Vinyl also means you get to listen to the whole album

OK. I will continue. I describe the difference between CDs, downloads etc and vinyl thus. CDs etc play all the right notes in the right order. But vinyl also plays the space occupied by each note. This gives the added dimensional depth removed by excessive compression.

Hapily, I have a large collection of 70s LPs ( A lot of prog rock) from my time presenting a rock show for BBC Radio Newcastle. Anyone remember Bedrock? Old rockers never die........

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g 05 August, 2018 12:52
My last word on this. At Tynemouth Station market today, I bought a vinyl copy of The Orchestral Tubular Bells to replace CD version.

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
samlee99 05 August, 2018 13:53
I'm lost. Is this season's programme on CD or vinyl then?

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 05 August, 2018 14:29
We could do it as a tapestry, £300 per copy!

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
dick g 05 August, 2018 14:46
Quote:
markismith50
We could do it as a tapestry, £300 per copy!

Cheap.

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
aidanb 06 August, 2018 13:51
Quote:
dick g
My last word on this. At Tynemouth Station market today, I bought a vinyl copy of The Orchestral Tubular Bells to replace CD version.

Quote:
dick g
Quote:
markismith50
We could do it as a tapestry, £300 per copy!

Cheap.

I knew it would be your last word (Sm100)

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
samlee99 06 August, 2018 14:39
Quote:
markismith50
We could do it as a tapestry, £300 per copy!

Excellent idea. Can we pay in groats?

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
Andy Mac 06 August, 2018 20:11
Iíd pay double if the programme was acted out through interpretive dance at half time.

Re: Jersey programme goes online only
markismith50 06 August, 2018 20:52
Where thereís a will thereís a way, Andy!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net